• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Holy Wars

Banned
I can't believe the app can't just download stuff in the background without you having to open it, like Newsstand or something. It's so damn obvious.

Holy Wars

Banned
Wait it can't? I thought people confirmed it did.

Oh. Well I read it couldn't and you had to manually start every download. I only just downloaded it a bit ago so I haven't been able to test it yet, but that would be awesome if true.

e: found the auto download option. This is awesome, Apple :bow

Tobor

Oh. Well I read it couldn't and you had to manually start every download. I only just downloaded it a bit ago so I haven't been able to test it yet, but that would be awesome if true.

Automatic downloads are there, you have to turn them on for each podcast.

3954e6ee.jpg

Holy Wars

Banned
Automatic downloads are there, you have to turn them on for each podcast.

3954e6ee.jpg

It's almost hidden on iPhone, I would never have thought to click the little arrow to the right of the title of the podcast. I thought it would be an option at the top or something.

So does it download even when the app isn't open? That will be a lifesaver for me, because I don't bother syncing my Zune half the time anymore but I forget to manually download podcasts on my iPhone.

KingKong

I don't think so, I had it on in the background and just opened it and it checked for updates and started downloading 2 podcasts. I think auto-download just means when it checks for podcasts it starts downloading immediately

Tobor

I don't think so, I had it on in the background and just opened it and it checked for updates and started downloading 2 podcasts. I think auto-download just means when it checks for podcasts it starts downloading immediately

Yeah, you might be right, unless it has a scheduled download that's invisible to the user. That's dissapointing if true.

Yeah, you might be right, unless it has a scheduled download that's invisible to the user. That's dissapointing if true.

Easiest way to check is for someone to turn on Airplane mode before opening it when they know new content is available. I'll be very disappointed if they didn't add it.

KingKong

Here's a way I set up that kind of works:

add all your iTunes subscriptions to the Podcast app
download podcasts on the bus or at work or whatever using it
THEN! instead of using Podcast to listen, use Music app
then you can sync to iTunes whenever and have it save your played/unplayed and progress on each podcast

The only annoying parts would be redownloading podcasts you already listened to on your computer and having to mark podcasts as played in Podcast app but eh what can you do

I guess this ends up being just an easy way to check all your subs for new podcasts without messing with the iTunes store on your iPhone but I can't think of any other way to keep everything in sync until they add some kind of Cloud syncing and not having to deal with iTunes at all in the morning is great

Le-mo

Gaf, my iPhone 3GS is stuck on an infinite boot loop. The phone is unlocked for use with T-Mobile and when I try to restore it on iTunes with a custom firmware it gives me the error 3194. I tried the method of opening up the Hosts file and adding the code 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com to the bottom of the list, but that doesn't fix the problem. What else can I do? I don't want to update to the newest firmware since I won't be able to unlock it.

hirokazu

Have you checked the logs if you can to see what's causing the rebooting? Sounds like some sort of kernel panic.

For errors on restore, I think there are utilities that can help kick you out of most of them. TinyUmbrella sort of does, but crashes a lot. Searching Google for the error number would be a good idea.

Zeth

Whoa! New podcast app. Open app switcher while watching video. Video continues to play indefinitely. Is this a new thing or have I just missed it?

Wasn't sure where to post this.

bananas

Banned
I'll gladly take something that doesn't have that one annoying extra click to play the episode. Really annoying, especially when driving.

If you choose the 'Unplayed', 'Downloaded' or any other playlist, clicking on the album art starts playing the podcast episode. So only two clicks.

hirokazu

I can see how the new Podcasts app can be useful with the new discovery and subscription features, but why on earth doesn't it sync with iTunes? Not just syncing of played status, but new episodes I download on iOS just don't sync.

I'd like to keep my things in sync by downloading on one device and them propagating it to the others the next time they sync with iTunes. Apple seems to want me to rely on the cloud and download the same thing to all my device from the Internet, which isn't the best option when you have download limits, slow internet or just want to conserve battery.

Was this thing released half-baked, or is this how they're gonna do it now?

EDIT: OK, the first two times I clicked sync, it didn't pull the podcasts onto iTunes. I tried it again and now the new podcasts I downloaded on the iPhone have been synced to iTunes. Weird that I didn't do it the initial few times. They just need to work on having the played status synced.

Majine

Banned
Seems like I should stick with Instacast, but glad that Apple finally recognizes the existance of podcasts since what, 2008?

Is downcast better?

SuperPac

I convinced my wife to let me upgrade her phone to beta 2 so we could try the shared photo streams out. We have a 7 month old baby so we usually text pictures of her to ourselves and the grandparents. I thought maybe the Shared Photo Stream would make this easier, but sadly—it doesn't.

Photo stream as it stands now is pretty great because I don't have to do anything - the pictures show up in my photo stream and we use it as a screensaver on the Apple TV and I save the pictures my wife texts me to my camera roll and they automatically appear in the Photo Stream. I was hoping I could set up a shared "family" photo stream that would work the same way and pictures from both of us would auto-upload and we wouldn't have to do anything. But no—you have to manually share photos to it.

I do love that it notifies you when new pictures have been added to it, but it's not flexible enough to be useful for me and the family. :\

I convinced my wife to let me upgrade her phone to beta 2 so we could try the shared photo streams out. We have a 7 month old baby so we usually text pictures of her to ourselves and the grandparents. I thought maybe the Shared Photo Stream would make this easier, but sadly—it doesn't.

Photo stream as it stands now is pretty great because I don't have to do anything - the pictures show up in my photo stream and we use it as a screensaver on the Apple TV and I save the pictures my wife texts me to my camera roll and they automatically appear in the Photo Stream. I was hoping I could set up a shared "family" photo stream that would work the same way and pictures from both of us would auto-upload and we wouldn't have to do anything. But no—you have to manually share photos to it.

I do love that it notifies you when new pictures have been added to it, but it's not flexible enough to be useful for me and the family. :\

Have you tried doing that with dropbox? You can set your picture library to auto-upload every new shot to a specific dropbox folder...

Majine

Banned
What's not up to snuff about it? It's working as well as Downcast for me. I love the sleep timer function.

I haven't used it for that long, but I heard it has trouble syncing podcasts, and people have been telling me to stick with Instacast.

I love the recorder animation on the iPad when playing a podcast. Good mood.

Its really a joke that they still haven't changed the fact that when you take a picture, immediately click on the albums window in the bottom left corner to see how good your picture came out... you cannot send it to someone from that screen.

Now, I have to take 5 pictures, leave the camera app, open up photos app, find the picture that looks best, then send it. This should all be done from within the camera app.

Phoenix

Gaf, my iPhone 3GS is stuck on an infinite boot loop. The phone is unlocked for use with T-Mobile and when I try to restore it on iTunes with a custom firmware it gives me the error 3194. I tried the method of opening up the Hosts file and adding the code 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com to the bottom of the list, but that doesn't fix the problem. What else can I do? I don't want to update to the newest firmware since I won't be able to unlock it.

Had similar with 2 4ses. Unplug them from iTunes and restart the restore process from a newly rebooted machine (a mountain lion dp4 Mac in my case). May not help you because everything literally everything in my lab is a beta or DP though.

Tobor

Its really a joke that they still haven't changed the fact that when you take a picture, immediately click on the albums window in the bottom left corner to see how good your picture came out... you cannot send it to someone from that screen.

Now, I have to take 5 pictures, leave the camera app, open up photos app, find the picture that looks best, then send it. This should all be done from within the camera app.

You can absolutely do this. I do it all the time.

edgefusion

You can do that from the camera app just not from the lock screen.

I have more options than Stumpokapow though:

Zeth

You can do that from the camera app just not from the lock screen.

I have more options than Stumpokapow though:

I saw a YT video from iDownload Blog that shows a jailbreak tweak which adds a bunch of extra options to this screen. Looked pretty good. Is the beta jailbroken, or am I confused?

Also have they added the ability for video to continue playing when you open the app switcher or did I just see a weird bug?

Right, the fact that its not an option when using the camera from the lock screen is the problem.

I use that version of the camera 90% of the time.

Top Bottom