• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Hoo-doo

Banned
Will we ever get a "mark all as read feature"?

I check my mail on lots of different devices, but when i'm at home I rarely use the iPhone.
Unread mail just keeps stacking up, really annoying.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Will we ever get a "mark all as read feature"?

I check my mail on lots of different devices, but when i'm at home I rarely use the iPhone.
Unread mail just keeps stacking up, really annoying.

Really? All my email accounts sync their read status regardless of where I check the mails on iPhone, iPad, web, Outlook. I have various Gmail, Hotmail and my work emails synced.

noah111

Still Alive
Not sure if this is new or not, but when you search for something in spotlight, the apps listed will show you what folder you have them in. Just the folder name to the far right of each app listed. I rarely use spotlight so i'm not sure if that's new, but neat nonetheless. I still hate how the pages dots don't smoothly transition like they do in Lion/Mountain Lion on OS X. Transparent black status bar on the homepage also needs to go imo.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Really? All my email accounts sync their read status regardless of where I check the mails on iPhone, iPad, web, Outlook. I have various Gmail, Hotmail and my work emails synced.

Upgrade your email accounts.

What? Are you using a POP account?

Hold the phone, how do you do this? I have gmail, hotmail and uni accounts that don't sync at all.
I'll try and roam around on my email settings, see if I can find something.

LCfiner

Not sure if this is new or not, but when you search for something in spotlight, the apps listed will show you what folder you have them in. Just the folder name to the far right of each app listed. I rarely use spotlight so i'm not sure if that's new, but neat nonetheless. I still hate how the pages dots don't smoothly transition like they do in Lion/Mountain Lion on OS X. Transparent black status bar on the homepage also needs to go imo.

it's new. nice little addition

Folders showing up in spotlight has been in since the first iOS 6 beta.

mollipen

Hold the phone, how do you do this? I have gmail, hotmail and uni accounts that don't sync at all.
I'll try and roam around on my email settings, see if I can find something.

I don't think it's even possible to set up either gmail or hotmail to not be IMAP, unless you've messed up something in the process of setting up those account on one of your devices. So long as they're set properly, anything you do in one place should always sync up with every other place you access that email.

I have multiple gmail accounts, and previously had one hotmail account, on my iPhone, and that's absolutely the way it always worked.

University account, that's another story. I'm not sure how your university has their email stuff set up.

Folders showing up in spotlight has been in since the first iOS 6 beta.

I just tried, and I get absolutely no note as to what folder the apps are in. You mean in the search that you get for swiping left of the home screen, right?

noah111

Still Alive
A bit OT but are there any other apps that handle background downloading similarly to the way settings manages to double software updates? Or do it at all?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't think it's even possible to set up either gmail or hotmail to not be IMAP, unless you've messed up something in the process of setting up those account on one of your devices. So long as they're set properly, anything you do in one place should always sync up with every other place you access that email.

I have multiple gmail accounts, and previously had one hotmail account, on my iPhone, and that's absolutely the way it always worked.

University account, that's another story. I'm not sure how your university has their email stuff set up.

Do you use iCloud mail for that?

anybody still taking in any late folks for the ios 6 beta? my phone is stuck in this non-activation shit and i heard 6 does away with it. im willing to pay!!

KtSlime

I saw a YT video from iDownload Blog that shows a jailbreak tweak which adds a bunch of extra options to this screen. Looked pretty good. Is the beta jailbroken, or am I confused?

Also have they added the ability for video to continue playing when you open the app switcher or did I just see a weird bug?

It's something the developer decides. You can actually start any video while the app switcher is up by swiping right to bring up the player controls and pressing play.

MThanded: Only if Apple depreciates it. And I hope they do. Google should be writing Google's apps.

Any chance we will ever get a better youtube app?

Maybe at the point when Apple fully abstracts video, if they can get away with it, you'll get a very general app that anonymously sources YouTube/Vimeo/et cetera and searches both of them.

The app already displays HD video on the iPad (and 1080p on the Apple TV), so it's not like Apple doesn't continue to work on it with Google. It's mainly the iPhone/iPod Touch version of the app that sucks.

hirokazu

Hmm I've now got a bug on the iPad3 where Wi-Fimwill either not connect, or shows its connected but doesn't work. If I go into Settings when this happens, it hangs and requires a hard reset. :(

Shearie

Is anyone having trouble with the auto-downloading feature in the Podcasts app where it sometimes downloads random, non-new podcasts? I think it starts doing it when I disconnect and reconnect to Wi-Fi but I'm not sure. This app is nearly useless to me now since that was the one big feature I was looking forward to but it annoys the shit out of me when I see podcasts downloaded that I didn't want downloaded and that aren't new.

Edit: Eh, I was a little too harsh on the Podcasts app. Auto-download is fucked but I turned it off and I appreciate that the rest of the app gives a better podcast experience than the Music app.

hirokazu

As far as I can tell, the Podcasts app only downloads new podcasts automatically when the app is running. It's dumb and I'm just going to go back to managing all my podcasts through iTunes.

If you sort your podcasts by newest first, then when playing the episodes, the newest ones will play before the oldest, so it's best to sort from oldest first. But then if you have Subcriptions on, then it displays every single episode from the RSS feed. Combine this with sorting from oldest first and you have to scroll down the list through dozens and often hundreds of old episodes to get to the new ones you haven't listened to yet.

There are some neat tricks and things that are done better now, but overall this app is so poorly thought out and so half baked that it boggles the mind how it was released in this state.

Whoa! Don't know if anyone posted this yet, but TomTom has announced that they intend to update their maps on a daily basis. That means it's possible for iOS maps to show when roads are closed, work is being done on them, and so on. Apparently this use to be a premium service that TomTom offered for some devices, but now it's going to be free.

Link: http://gizmodo.com/5921956/tomtom-to-update-its-maps-every-single-day

that's very cool. Now if only we could download map data to the phone. Hell, I'd pay for it.

Shearie

As far as I can tell, the Podcasts app only downloads new podcasts automatically when the app is running. It's dumb and I'm just going to go back to managing all my podcasts through iTunes.

If you sort your podcasts by newest first, then when playing the episodes, the newest ones will play before the oldest, so it's best to sort from oldest first. But then if you have Subcriptions on, then it displays every single episode from the RSS feed. Combine this with sorting from oldest first and you have to scroll down the list through dozens and often hundreds of old episodes to get to the new ones you haven't listened to yet.

There are some neat tricks and things that are done better now, but overall this app is so poorly thought out and so half baked that it boggles the mind how it was released in this state.

Yeah. The more I use the app the more I think it sucks because of how buggy it is. Found a new bug where there are sometimes duplicate podcasts in a list when the subscription is on even though those duplicates are not there for the same podcast in iTunes. Also, if Apple ever fixes auto-download where it works even remotely right, they should separate it from the subscriptions toggle so we can change between having every single podcast showing or only the ones you have downloaded show without it affecting the auto-downloading of new podcasts.

What is it that you guys don't like about the Youtube app? I use it sporadically and it seems fine.

I actually like the YouTube app better than the web app because it's simpler and loads everything faster. It's lacking a little in comment options and maybe some other minor things that I can't think of but the things that are important to me the native app does better.

buhdeh

There should also be a "download/stream only over wifi" option... I don't want to accidentally hit the next button and have it stream a 50mb podcast over 3G. I also went back to just manually managing podcasts with itunes/music.

hirokazu

The YouTube app is fine for casual browsing, I guess. There are some shortcomings, but I'm overall OK with it.

I can't log in to my account though, it always says incorrect password. I don't know if that's Google's fault or Apple's.

Angst

The YouTube app is fine for casual browsing, I guess. There are some shortcomings, but I'm overall OK with it.

I can't log in to my account though, it always says incorrect password. I don't know if that's Google's fault or Apple's.

Do you still have to press "Load more results"? It really annoys me on my gf's iPad.

giga

Latitude on iOS 6 lol. They've gotta be working on a new Google Maps and SDK now.

AwkE5yQCQAEGLZv.jpg:large

Utako

Banned
i'm running iOS 5.1.1 on my iPad

Sorry, forgot this was the iOS6 thread and not the iOS general thread
Oh! Then I guess all I can say is that I'm not having the same issue.

[edit] Actually, and this might be obvious, take note of whether you're in incognito mode.

Prezhulio

was i imagining it or were the people behind 5.1 jailbreak touting that there untethered method could likely be used on ios6 when it's released?

Phoenix

I just tried, and I get absolutely no note as to what folder the apps are in. You mean in the search that you get for swiping left of the home screen, right?

Indeed. That's not even an iOS thing, that's an IMAP thing. If that's not working properly, something is configured FUBAR.

btkadams

this isn't true if he/she set it up a long time ago. for some reason it was setup as pop in my mac mail app up until a few days ago lol. i added it to mac mail in 2008 or 2009. i remember that there wasn't a GMAIL easy-setup when i added it into mail back then, so that's probably why it defaulted to pop. i believe it's impossible now though because indicating it's a google account autocompletes the setup.

mollipen

this isn't true if he/she set it up a long time ago. for some reason it was setup as pop in my mac mail app up until a few days ago lol. i added it to mac mail in 2008 or 2009. i remember that there wasn't a GMAIL easy-setup when i added it into mail back then, so that's probably why it defaulted to pop. i believe it's impossible now though because indicating it's a google account autocompletes the setup.

To be fair, I could be totally wrong about hotmail (I was never a user of it), but I guess I just always assumed GMAIL was IMAP only. Huh.

Oh, and the new Apple Podcasts app is terrible. This thing isn't going to kill podcast support through the Music app, is it? If it does, I'm going to rage.

btkadams

Oh, and the new Apple Podcasts app is terrible. This thing isn't going to kill podcast support through the Music app, is it? If it does, I'm going to rage.

maybe not immediately, but i can't see any logical reason for apple to include podcasts in the music app and in the podcast app. i bet we will lost it in the music app when apple releases the revamped itunes later this year, which could be seperating out functions into separate applications.

numble

Traffic info only shows up if the road is "yellow" or "red," if traffic is okay, it doesn't give an indicator, unlike Google labeling the road green. I don't think I like this, since you don't know if traffic info is actually being pulled down if the roads are normal.

Top Bottom