• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Shearie

Jelly Bean looks great but nothing that would make me switch especially considering the difference in app support between the two. The two OS's seem on par with each other; it's not like JB just made iOS obsolete. When I read some posts here and especially in The Verge forums, it seems like some people have smartphone ADD talking about how bored they are with iOS and how Apple is not changing it enough.

Jelly Bean looks great but nothing that would make me switch especially considering the difference in app support between the two. The two OS's seem on par with each other; it's not like JB just made iOS obsolete. When I read some posts here and especially in The Verge forums, it seems like some people have smartphone ADD talking about how bored they are with iOS and how Apple is not changing it enough.

I'm not gonna speak anymore on android in an apple thread, but I don't think it's us getting bored per say. It's maybe the lack of new features.

I don't care about new UI or new colours or layouts, I like new features. Things to make my life easier if possible. Using 4.0 this week made me painfully aware some basics iOS is missing

But yeah, android can be fucking terrible with apps. Lawd gawd

bro1

Banned
I'm not gonna speak anymore on android in an apple thread, but I don't think it's us getting bored per say. It's maybe the lack of new features.

I don't care about new UI or new colours or layouts, I like new features. Things to make my life easier if possible. Using 4.0 this week made me painfully aware some basics iOS is missing

But yeah, android can be fucking terrible with apps. Lawd gawd
What basic features does android have that apple doesn't? My wife is getting an android phone and I am curious as to what to highlight to her.

PS. made this mockup (for a verge post I did) showing how the playback controls should look in iOS 6 if they adopted the music app look and lose the whole need for double tapping; http://cl.ly/HudG

Man, I wish you worked at Apple. I've stopped using the double-tap music controls because I listen to audio books a lot and I'm as likely to accidentally skip to the next chapter as I am to pause. Ten minutes of experimenting with pausing and playing music from the lock screen should have showed them how poorly designed it is.

Blackhead

Redarse
I actually have no idea. I just assumed they followed a pattern similar to Apple and there would be a successor to the Galaxy Nexus this year. Maybe not? I still haven't really decided, I'm just not excited about iOS 6 at all whereas 4.1 looks pretty good.

I thought they normally release at their I/O conference. Anyway, I might buy the G.Nexus next month if the next iterations of the iOS 6 beta doesn't show enough to keep me

I still have my iPad anyway

New Nexus devices are usually released towards the end of the year i.e. October/November/December. There are rumored to be 5 Nexus devices released this year (Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, Nexus Q and two more unknowns for later this year?)

Tobor

Yep. Power users are strange animals.

I have no idea if anyone else would get use of this, but I wish the music/podcast apps had 'driving controls' or something where the play/skip controls were a lot bigger. So many times I've been listening to a podcast while driving, and skip back to the start when meaning to hit the tiny pause button. This is especially annoying as skipping back loses your progress

noah111

Still Alive
I have no idea if anyone else would get use of this, but I wish the music/podcast apps had 'driving controls' or something where the play/skip controls were a lot bigger. So many times I've been listening to a podcast while driving, and skip back to the start when meaning to hit the tiny pause button. This is especially annoying as skipping back loses your progress
They really don't need to do that if they were to just space the damn buttons out.

I think the music app's playback buttons are great, even though the three buttons are in rectangles, those serve more as visual cues than actual buttons, since the hit target is more or less the same (icon centered).

Man, I wish you worked at Apple. I've stopped using the double-tap music controls because I listen to audio books a lot and I'm as likely to accidentally skip to the next chapter as I am to pause. Ten minutes of experimenting with pausing and playing music from the lock screen should have showed them how poorly designed it is.
Don't all frustrated iOS users wish that at some point? :lol But yeah, it used to be a big issue with podcasts since if you hit previous, you lose all the progress. However, those prev/next buttons in iOS 6 have been replaced with little jumper icons that let you ff or back 15 secs. Not more next/prev. though.

Also, anyone else starting to really not like some of the gloss in iOS? Esp. after using 6 a bunch, where so much is gradient instead, some stuff just feels jarring imo. Like the damn playback buttons in the switcher (should be gradient/chrome imo) or the dark blue pop-up menus, etc.

Tobor

I don't see what's so wrong with the double click. I've tapped forward or backwards by mistake once or twice, but the double click on the lock screen isn't a problem.

Dartastic

Has iOS6 been updated on the iPhone 4 yet? I installed it initially, but it ran like complete ass so I downgraded. I'd like to use iTunes Match on it.... :/

noah111

Still Alive
I don't see what's so wrong with the double click. I've tapped forward or backwards by mistake once or twice, but the double click on the lock screen isn't a problem.
It's just such an unnecessary inconvenience. Not to mention the double clicking being inaccurate/fiddly at times and not getting it first try. I want to quickly pause and there's no good way to do that.

Why hide something like that when you can fit it in the same top bezel space, anyway? The album artwork being plastered on your lock screen but with no actual controls, is something I never really liked either. If it was in the top right corner in a frame (like when you have an incoming call) that'd make sense, but it's a focal point when you're listening to audio so why not have visible, no intrusive controls?

PS. I may be OCDing here but am I the only who can't stand how the album artwork isn't aligned with the top lock screen bezel? It's just 6 damn pixels off!

Last IOS beta, a year ago, I had someone register my UDID. Now I'd like to play around with IOS 6, but I'm afraid I'm not registered anymore and I will essentially brick my device.

Is there a way to find out if my UDID is still registered as a developer account?

Tobor

It's just such an unnecessary inconvenience. Not to mention the double clicking being inaccurate/fiddly at times and not getting it first try. I want to quickly pause and there's no good way to do that.

Why hide something like that when you can fit it in the same top bezel space, anyway? The album artwork being plastered on your lock screen but with no actual controls, is something I never really liked either. If it was in the top right corner in a frame (like when you have an incoming call) that'd make sense, but it's a focal point when you're listening to audio so why not have visible, no intrusive controls?

PS. I may be OCDing here but am I the only who can't stand how the album artwork isn't aligned with the top lock screen bezel? It's just 6 damn pixels off!

You can't just leave the controls there all the time, people will accidentally press the buttons. Nobody is going to accidentally double click the home button. It makes perfect sense the way it works now.

Tron 2.0

Isn't the double click to see audio controls there to prevent accidentally advancing the track or pausing when the phone is in your pocket?

EDIT: Too slow.

EDIT 2: I agree about the buttons being weirdly spaced and too small, though.

noah111

Still Alive
You can't just leave the controls there all the time, people will accidentally press the buttons. Nobody is going to accidentally double click the home button. It makes perfect sense the way it works now.
The controls would only be there when there's music playing, not all the time. Also remember that it auto-locks itself after a short timespan, anyway. I doubt people would accidentally be hitting the controls when they only have a short time to make such a mistake to begin with.

But hell, double click or not, the buttons need a makeover (spacing specifically).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The controls would only be there when there's music playing, not all the time. Also remember that it auto-locks itself after a short timespan, anyway. I doubt people would accidentally be hitting the controls when they only have a short time to make such a mistake to begin with.

But hell, double click or not, the buttons need a makeover (spacing specifically).

They've worked fine for years, what makes them suddenly broken? Or is this just a case of advocating change for the sake of change?

noah111

Still Alive
They've worked fine for years, what makes them suddenly broken? Or is this just a case of advocating change for the sake of change?
They weren't always spaced like this iirc. And it isn't change for the sake of it, it's also about consistency with the new music app. They drastically changed the feel of those default playback buttons, and in a smart way imo (specifically spacing) so there's no reason not to translate that to the lock screen controls as well.

Not to mention keeping the top bezel size consistent/covering up the album art as little as possible, is a plus imo.
Default.png
Double.png

Sorry if i'm derailing the thread. :lol btw, do we know when exactly iOS 6 will go 'gold'?

Tobor

You can't leave the controls on the lock screen anytime the music is playing. There absolutely would be accidental presses, and it would be highly annoying. They've already solved this issue by having the user double click the home button. You're trying to break something that works.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What basic features does android have that apple doesn't? My wife is getting an android phone and I am curious as to what to highlight to her.

Google Goggles
Google Starcharts (I can't remember the proper name for this application)

Both those applications are really, really excellent.

noah111

Still Alive
You can't leave the controls on the lock screen anytime the music is playing. There absolutely would be accidental presses, and it would be highly annoying. They've already solved this issue by having the user double click the home button. You're trying to break something that works.
The entire home button mechanism is a cop out that is long overdue. It was a hardware solution to a software problem. It isn't a mystery that the home button is a pos, esp. for double clicks.

For a device that's main pillars is music it just feels like a lazy implementation of access at this point. Less people use the lock screen controls because of it, and I think they realized this when they changed the camera from a button (that would only show up when double clicking the home button) to a grabber that's there at all times. That extra step was enough for them to find a way to get rid of the double click, and I don't think ease of playback is any different.

kehs

Banned

My phone has play controls on the lock screen, I've never accidentally pressed the control buttons.

Might be because they're spaced out properly though.

Tobor

The entire home button mechanism is a cop out that is long overdue. It was a hardware solution to a software problem. It isn't a mystery that the home button is a pos, esp. for double clicks.

For a device that's main pillars is music it just feels like a lazy implementation of access at this point. Less people use the lock screen controls because of it, and I think they realized this when they changed the camera from a button (that would only show up when double clicking the home button) to a grabber that's there at all times. That extra step was enough for them to find a way to get rid of the double click, and I don't think ease of playback is any different.

If they want to add another slider for music controls like they did for the camera, that's fine. I do not want the buttons just sitting there on the screen. That would be worse than the current implementation.

NekoFever

Cool. Thought it was weird that he died before iOS 5 was even released to the public and they still hadn't updated that.

Sean

Banned
Anyone? I'd really like to go back to iOS 6 but I don't want it crashing all the time. :/

There's been an update already (beta 2) and will probably be another one very soon. In past betas they usually were updated every 2-3 weeks.

Like others said though, it's going to be unstable and unoptimized during the beta period (especially these early betas). You're better off just waiting.

Use Downcast which has driving friendly gestures (swipe left to skip back 30 secs, right, to fast forward, double tap on screen to pause).

They weren't always spaced like this iirc. And it isn't change for the sake of it, it's also about consistency with the new music app. They drastically changed the feel of those default playback buttons, and in a smart way imo (specifically spacing) so there's no reason not to translate that to the lock screen controls as well.

Not to mention keeping the top bezel size consistent/covering up the album art as little as possible, is a plus imo.
Sorry if i'm derailing the thread. :lol btw, do we know when exactly iOS 6 will go 'gold'?

ew. why did they update the music controls but not the slide to unlock? Clashing styles. Ew.

Double.png

Sentry plz. That volume slider needs to have way more spacing than that. :mad:

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anyone else getting lots and lots of crashes related to location services and/or photo permissions?

I'm getting
- Crashes in Picup when I go to select a photo and it offers me the permission dialogue
- Crashes in Pair when I launch it (I think this is related to location services)
- Crashes in Mobile Safari when I go to yelp and authorize it to use my location.

Those are all I can remember off the top of my head, but I think there's a few others as well.

Google Googles is on iOS in the Google Search app.

Last I remembered, it was a pale imitation. Maybe not.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Overlaid 5.1.1 and 6 photos of the lockscreen music controls shows they haven't changed anything between the two. Your mockup also has more spacing issues than what we got, way too compact between the buttons and the volume bar.

ew. why did they update the music controls but not the slide to unlock? Clashing styles. Ew.
That's Sentry's mockup, they haven't changed the buttons.

noah111

Still Alive
Overlaid 5.1.1 and 6 photos of the lockscreen music controls shows they haven't changed anything between the two. Your mockup also has more spacing issues than what we got, way too compact between the buttons and the volume bar.
The change was further back than 5.1 iirc. And yeah, that extended access view was just an attempt at not needing to cover the cover artwork any more than the default one does. I should note though, the actual spacing of the volume bar in terms of hit points, is no different from the current implementation. Visually it may look too compact, but functionally-wise it's basically the same (which was the idea, fit more without extending the bezel view)

In reality though (if they were to use the new music controls in iOS 6 on the lock screen) the double click screen would look more or less the same, just with updated buttons. I kind of doubt they'd actually ever condense the clock view to half bezel size (even if the vol. bar had more spacing).

Main point though, is that I wish they'd update the damn thing as well as keep them on-screen if something's playing. Oh and why not change the camera grabber into a music app shortcut when double clicked?

Anyway, the main thing I want in iOS is iPad style brightness bar in the switcher (posted this before but here's a mock) along with toggles instead of a damn volume bar on the last page. I find myself chaining the brightness a LOT and it's annoying as fuck to keep opening the settings app and navigating there. That alone makes jail breaking work it, to me.

Does iOS 6 allow you to move "Newsstand" to a folder? That bugs the shit out of me on iOS 5.

I'd also like to see a weather app that lists the current temp on the icon. Is that possible?

Top Bottom