• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

LCfiner

I think the better question is would Apple even approve it?

I think they'd have to as long as Mapquest, Bing, and Navigon continue to

exactly. They’ve set a precedent for approving lots of mapping applications - even some with barely any extra functionality over the built in app. they won’t block Google’s out of corporate spite. If they were to try to pull that, they’d have some real nasty attention come their way that they wouldn’t be able to easily deflect.

hirokazu

Haha, I've lost my photo library on my iPhone just like with the iOS5 betas. Now I'll have to restore from backup when I get home. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, on second launch of the Photos app, it looks like it's reindexing things and restoring them. Magic! That'll save me a heap of trouble.

LCfiner

apple's maps app is still in '09

eBAzT.gif

Epix

Well.....looks like AT&T is prepping to charge for the "Facetime over Cellular" feature...

photo1.png

Like it does with the iOS Personal Hotspot feature, U.S. carrier AT&T appears set to control and charge for the iOS 6 FaceTime over Cellular feature. This iOS 6 enhancement brings the formally WiFi only iOS device video calling feature into a more useful state, letting people use the feature practically anywhere they may be. AT&T provided us with the following statement:

We’re working closely with Apple on the new developer build of iOS6 and we’ll share more information with our customers as it becomes available.

We attempted to bring up the same same error message when enabling the FaceTime over Cellular feature on a Verizon iPad WiFi + Cellular, but the feature enabled without an issue. AT&T charges for a separate plan to use Personal Hotspot on its network, and the carrier appears set to replicate that process with FaceTime over Cellular.

To replicate the process of receiving the above error message, you need to restore your network settings. It is also appearing for some people who have restored to iOS 6 beta 3.

With the large amount of data that a FaceTime call over Cellular uses, it doesn’t seem like a stretch for AT&T to want to charge for the feature. At this time, other iOS device carrier-partner plans are unclear, but AT&T is the first carrier that demonstrates evidence (in iOS 6 beta 3) for a plan to charge for the feature.

I assume they'll just limit it so that only people who have packages that allow tethering get it.

Edit:

I'm on AT&T and I haven't restored my network settings since upgrading to beta 3 so facetime's still working for me.

Weenerz

Banned
Fuck AT&T. Using the same data plan and they still want to nickle and dime. Too bad Sprint is dogshit, I would love to jump over.

Ugh, this pisses me off. I've enjoyed Facetime over 3G for awhile now and now it feels like it's being taken away since they're making it official. Man, all the carriers suck now.

So a feature that I can use on the google+ app is going to cost money in the future? Also phone gets blazing hot when using it for video chatting

hirokazu

Beta 3 is great so far. It's fixed so many issues in 3rd party apps that beta 2 introduced, and overall seems much smoother and less crash prone. Beta 2 was a pretty unstable release.

Those of you signed into Sina Weibo through the built-in option in Settings, do you get Post to Weibo in Notification Center's Share Widget? All I get is Twitter and Facebook there and I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong or if they just haven't added Weibo to the widget yet.

Weird that Weibo is in Mountain Lion's Share widget while Facebook integration is still in testing on OS X, but on iOS Weibo is missing and Facebook is there.

hirokazu

badcrumble said:
Oh hey, in beta 3, Maps now shows all of the MTA stops in Manhattan. No transit directions yet, but I suspect the 3rd-party Google Maps app be ready before launch.

Fix-ed.
It'd be hilarious if Google releases the Maps app with support for Apple's new transit API, with the areas served to be defined as the entire world so it always shows up in Map's list of available transit apps. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they really did that.

hirokazu

They're phasing out me.com? That *has* to be a joke...
My me.com address is my favorite I've ever owned.

They are, but everyone who has an existing me.com address on iCloud will be able to keep it and use it alongside the icloud.com one. If you try to sign up for a new iCloud account after iOS 6 rolls out of beta, you can only create icloud.com addresses.

If you want to make some email aliases that end in me.com, there's 2 or so months left to do so.

They are, but everyone who has an existing me.com address on iCloud will be able to keep it and use it alongside the icloud.com one. If you try to sign up for a new iCloud account after iOS 6 rolls out of beta, you can only create icloud.com addresses.

Good, so I can stop hyperventilating now. Bad enough that they my mac.com address is defunct. This would've been a borderline disaster.

numble

It'd be hilarious if Google releases the Maps app with support for Apple's new transit API, with the areas served to be defined as the entire world so it always shows up in Map's list of available transit apps. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they really did that.
I think they need to be using MapKit (Apple's maps) to be able to do that. They could do that if they want to overlay things on top of the Apple Maps, but I doubt that's happening.

noah111

Still Alive
^Yeah, thank god it's not a forced move. As long as I can keep my @me email and access it like normal, i'll be fine. Any reason in particular why they're changing it to @icloud?

^Yeah, thank god it's not a forced move. As long as I can keep my @me email and access it like normal, i'll be fine. Any reason in particular why they're changing it to @icloud?

Clearly someone offered them 100 bucks for me.com and Tim Cook was like AHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUA FREE LUNCH

hirokazu

I think they need to be using MapKit (Apple's maps) to be able to do that. They could do that if they want to overlay things on top of the Apple Maps, but I doubt that's happening.

Are you sure MapKit is a requirement?

As far as I know, when the transit apps list gets populated, tapping one you already have installed will launch that app and pass the start and end points to the app. It's up to the app to figure out how to plan the route and show it to the user, whether they use MapKit or not.

I'd guess it's a marketing tactic to try and push the iCloud brand out there more. If you go into your iCloud account's Mail settings in iOS 6, you'll notice that the icloud.com address is set as the default to use when sending mail. You have to manually change it back if you want your emails to show up as coming from your me.com address.

Didn't Facebook try something similar recently where they changed everyone's default email address in their profile to the facebook.com one?

numble

Are you sure MapKit is a requirement?

As far as I know, when the transit apps list gets populated, tapping one you already have installed will launch that app and pass the start and end points to the app. It's up to the app to figure out how to plan the route and show it to the user, whether they use MapKit or not.
I don't have the slides on me right now, but the whole transit apps stuff was covered in the WWDC MapKit sessions, I feel like they'd need you to use it. Maybe I'm misremembering.

hirokazu

I don't know when this happened, but the marker for Apple Store Sydney is now across the road from where it's supposed to be in Maps. It was correct as recently as two weeks ago. I wonder how that happened.

There's so much improvement going on in Maps and yet so much stuff that is still messed up or wrong. Not sure when it when up, but Yelp data is now live in Australia, which explains why there's so much more shop labels. That also means that doing local searches in Siri should now work in Australia.

x-Lundz-x

Would this be in addition to that?

4GB = $40 a month
Facetime = $20 a month

Bill = $60 a month?

There is no way they would be allowed to charge for using FaceTime. It uses your data like anything else that you already pay for. Most likely, they are requiring you call them to activate so you are fully aware that you are using your data. I imagine there would be a lot of mad people if it was just on by default and then people start crushing their data caps and getting huge overage charges.

Of course the rep will try and sell you a higher data plan but you should get the idea.

Fuck AT&T. Using the same data plan and they still want to nickle and dime. Too bad Sprint is dogshit, I would love to jump over.

Sprint is better than anyone. My iPhone 4s costs me 65 bucks a month, unlimited data and text (Family plan with 3 iPhones but still). Not sure how you can beat that with anyone. Now, the cellular data speed is dog shit I'll give you that, but who does not have Wifi pretty much everywhere these days?

KtSlime

I'm disappointed that they're phasing out me.com addresses soon. me.com is so much simpler and better.

I am as well. But I have gotten a couple of weird looks in the past when telling people my email address. I didn't think they were being phased out so much as they are to stop offering new me.com addresses. Will they also be phasing out mac.com as well?

Edit: just read your following post, good.

Fowler: is it set the the correct time and time zone? Cocoa/ObjC network aware apps are very sensitive about the system clock - don't know why, but it's always been the case, even back on Nextstep.

giga

If using Routing Apps, they are passed an "MKMapItem" (which contain start point and destination) though--can you pull their data out and use them outside of Map Kit?
Yeah, MKMapItem is just handling launching the third party app from Maps. It'll give the start and end locations and the launched routing app has to figure out a route with that information.

frico

Any luck with iMessage. Mine will not activate either. It registers my email address but not my phone number. My time, date, and location are all correct.

Fowler

Any luck with iMessage. Mine will not activate either. It registers my email address but not my phone number. My time, date, and location are all correct.

I am having serious iMessage problems too. I've tried everything, but nothing works. Time is correct. Messages beta uninstalled on Mac. No other iDevices registered for iMessage. Every so often it'll connect, but within a day it'll ask for my password, then switch off again. (Facetime goes off at the same time.)

Also, it doesn't just do this on my iPhone -- it does it on my iPad too.

I'm also having notification issues -- which is to say, I don't get any.

I'm now wondering if the two are connected, or whether my Apple ID is effed.

hirokazu

Apparently, it was possible in earlier betas too, but it was finicky and I never knew it was there because the option never showed up when I turned iMessage off, then back on.

Anyway, this is how I got it going on beta 3 - this also applies to FaceTime:

- Turn off iMessage on the iPad (or iPod touch)
- Wait a bit, a few seconds should be fine but maybe give it a few minutes if it's not working
- Turn iMessage back on and wait for it to activate - you could navigate away for a bit if it takes too long, but it only took a few seconds for me
- The phone number should now show up along with your Apple ID email and your new iCloud.com email
- There'll a tick beside your Apple ID email, meaning it's set up to receive at that email, if the phone number doesn't also have a tick, tap on it and it'll say "Verifying..." (you can also do the same to receive at the new icloud.com email)
- It may hang on verifying for a while or it may verify in just a few seconds, wait it out - I've found the verifying process to be a bit hit or miss on whether it decides to work
- If it hangs for far too long, try again from the start with turning iMessage off
- Otherwise you should see that the phone number is now ticked and the next time you use your iPhone, you'll get an alert that the iPad (or iPod touch) is now receiving iMessage from the phone number

If your phone number doesn't show up when you turned iMessage back on, then try again from the start, maybe wait a while before retrying You can also try turning off iMessage on your iPhone then back on to make sure it registers that the phone number should be tied to that Apple ID.

I got my phone number tied to both iMessage and FaceTime on my iPad in 3 minutes or so with beta 3.

There are some people who say your phone number must be entered at appleid.apple.com under Manage My Account, but I found that's not really true because my phone number wasn't even registered properly there.

Top Bottom