• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution

am_dragon

I've been thinking about Geometry Wars 3, but my son has it on his Vita, so I've been playing it there.

I really enjoy the game but is there any reason to pay for the touch controls version when I have a version with hardware controls?

It seems like everything I want is a double dip lately. I bought Out There and enjoyed it on my Android tablet. Now I'm getting into it again, after the update, and wouldn't mind having a copy on my phone.

Heel

Now for a sale on 80 Days. Any day now.

0TeUA75.jpg

It seems like everything I want is a double dip lately. I bought Out There and enjoyed it on my Android tablet. Now I'm getting into it again, after the update, and wouldn't mind having a copy on my phone.
Tell me about it. Like half of my games folder on my iPad are PC indies I have on Steam. Being able to play them on the go is awesome

awp69

I've been thinking about Geometry Wars 3, but my son has it on his Vita, so I've been playing it there.

I really enjoy the game but is there any reason to pay for the touch controls version when I have a version with hardware controls?

It's a fantastic port. I have it on Xbox One, iPad and now PSTV (thanks to PS+). Guess it depends on if you want access to it when your son is playing the Vita. Great deal for $5 and the same content as the console/handheld versions.

Shaneus

It's a fantastic port. I have it on Xbox One, iPad and now PSTV (thanks to PS+). Guess it depends on if you want access to it when your son is playing the Vita. Great deal for $5 and the same content as the console/handheld versions.
It's an insane port. Surprises me that it's <100MB, too.

Also worth it if you have a jailbroken phone and the Controllers for All app. That lets me use a Dualshock 3 as an MFi controller that works flawlessly with GW3 on my iPad.

awp69

Perfect. Speaking from personal experience, of course! I found the controls a little fiddly and small and preferred the controls on the original GW iOS release, but graphics wise it's beautiful.

That surprises me. My complaint with the original GW iOS game was I didn't like the controls. Devs like Radiangames came along and perfected DSS controls that blew it out of the water. I think the GW3 controls are much better, but then again I'm playing on a Mini 2 so the size issue doesn't come into play.

Shaneus

That surprises me. My complaint with the original GW iOS game was I didn't like the controls. Devs like Radiangames came along and perfected DSS controls that blew it out of the water. I think the GW3 controls are much better, but then again I'm playing on a Mini 2 so the size issue doesn't come into play.
I think the biggest thing was that OG GW had sticky joysticks you could move wherever you wanted beforehand, but with this there's either fixed, floating, free or MFi. If they had fixed but you could move them wherever, I'd be a lot happier.

Updated to iOS 9, everything seems to run as it should with no crashes. Plus now I can side-load all the apps I used to use while jailbroken but signed under my own account legitimately instead. Win win!
Can you explain what you mean?
He means that as of Xcode 7 beta (and any iOS) any user can build and install apps from source code, without having to be a member of the Apple developer programme.

Here's how to get a GBA emulator on your device
http://bouk.co/blog/sideload-iphone/

Personally, I don't think sideload is the correct phrase. "installing from source" is more correct. It's important that the sorcerer code is there, add it allows you to check that the app isn't doing anything bad.

On Android, to compare, sideloading means installing a pre-compiled app binary that could be doing anything.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
He means that as of Xcode 7 beta (and any iOS) any user can build and install apps from source code, without having to be a member of the Apple developer programme.

Personally, I don't think sideload is the correct phrase. "installing from source" is more correct. It's important that the sorcerer code is there, add it allows you to check that the app isn't doing anything bad.

On Android, to compare, sideloading means installing a pre-compiled app binary that could be doing anything.

Sideloading is just the term for transferring content between local devices. But yes, what you said. Compile own apps with Xcode for use on your own devices without the need of a dev account.

Now for a sale on 80 Days. Any day now.

0TeUA75.jpg

Does the Adventure bundle not offer a discount? It did for me when I bought it a while back.

inkle Adventures! by inkle
https://appsto.re/ie/ITX12.i

Edit: maybe it won't. The Sorcery bundle doesn't account for me already owning 1& 2 so it's is 2 euros more expensive for me than Sorcery 3 is stand alone. lol

5pVqY7h.jpg

Set your clocks.

DEATHWATCH LAUNCHES THIS WEEK.

I reapeat: DEATHWATCH LAUNCHES THIS WEEK.

You don't want to miss this one.
Absolutely.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Warhammer+40,000:+Deathwatch+-+Tyranid+Invasion/news.asp?c=66464
Wow, that's way sooner than I had expected! Can't wait

So you've been playing this extensively. Have you played Space Hulk? If so, how would you compare the two?

And is the tactical gameplay as deep as the initial info?
“You can take a whole load of Space Wolf Assault dudes into a mission, tool them up with shields, and fling them at the enemy! Or you could bring along Ultramarine Devastators, lead by the Master of Relics and perforate the enemy from afar. Or you could compose a team of Tactical guys armed solely with gravity guns to literally halt the enemy in their track. Or almost anything in-between and loads more, besides.”

PittaGAF

Wow, that's way sooner than I had expected! Can't wait

So you've been playing this extensively. Have you played Space Hulk? If so, how would you compare the two?

And is the tactical gameplay as deep as the initial info?

Yes I played Space Hulk extensively, completed all campaigns and had my share of multiplayer games.

I've been kindly requested to refrain myself from spilling out the beans...so please forgive me if, for a change, I'll maintain a low profile till 16th of July.

I may or may not confirm extreme glorioussness ;)

awp69

Yes I played Space Hulk extensively, completed all campaigns and had my share of multiplayer games.

I've been kindly requested to refrain myself from spilling out the beans...so please forgive me if, for a change, I'll maintain a low profile till 16th of July.

I may or may not confirm extreme glorioussness ;)

Any pricing details been announced yet?

Heel

Does the Adventure bundle not offer a discount? It did for me when I bought it a while back.

inkle Adventures! by inkle
https://appsto.re/ie/ITX12.i

Edit: maybe it won't. The Sorcery bundle doesn't account for me already owning 1& 2 so it's is 2 euros more expensive for me than Sorcery 3 is stand alone. lol

Weird, it won't let me buy the Adventures bundle because I own the first Sorcery, but the Sorcery bundle is $5 instead of $7 because it recognizes that purchase. This is all through iPad, btw.

Bundles have always been pretty strange. 2 for the price of 1 on Sorcery is a pretty nice deal, though.

awp69

Weird, it won't let me buy the Adventures bundle because I own the first Sorcery, but the Sorcery bundle is $5 instead of $7 because it recognizes that purchase. This is all through iPad, btw.

Bundles have always been pretty strange. 2 for the price of 1 on Sorcery is a pretty nice deal, though.

Bundles are a little annoying, I think there must be a switch that allows devs to either give a discount if you own one of the apps in it, stop you from even being able to buy it or don't give you a discount.

I had one bundle where I owned two of the three apps and it would have cost me more to buy the bundle than just that third app on its own. Really would be nice if Apple just standardized it across the board.

Another thing I hate about bundles -- they're too freaking hard to find! They should have a dedicated section on the App Store for bundles.

Good concept. Just poor execution.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Yeah bundles are weird most of the time for me as well. I bought the Pixelbyte bundle (Reckless Racing games and Space Marshal etc.) for 0.99 when I only owned Reckless Racing 2 and Reckless Getaway. So I effectively got Space Marshal, Reckless Racing 1 + 3 and their futuristic racer I forget the name of all for a dollar.

Chuckpebble

Ha, don't even need the OS X or iOS 9 betas. Great. My phone is finishing up the ios 9 beta install right now. Whelp, there's other stuff I wanted to check out too.

Just a heads up, anyone trying this should look for GBA4iOS 2.0, as it's a much better emulator for the devices. The original one has a lot of sound issues with emulating the bulk of games.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Bundles are a little annoying, I think there must be a switch that allows devs to either give a discount if you own one of the apps in it, stop you from even being able to buy it or don't give you a discount.

I had one bundle where I owned two of the three apps and it would have cost me more to buy the bundle than just that third app on its own. Really would be nice if Apple just standardized it across the board.

Another thing I hate about bundles -- they're too freaking hard to find! They should have a dedicated section on the App Store for bundles.

Good concept. Just poor execution.

You don't set any rules about pricing or behaviour for bundles. You just set a price, and I believe it has to be set less than the total cost of all included. If the combined price of the included apps dips below the bundle price because of a sale on an app, I believe the bundle becomes unavailable as a result.

I think there is a lot of confusion in terms of how pricing is communicated, how refunds work, and there might be issues with legacy pricing and sales too.

awp69

You don't set any rules about pricing or behaviour for bundles. You just set a price, and I believe it has to be set less than the total cost of all included. If the combined price of the included apps dips below the bundle price because of a sale on an app, I believe the bundle becomes unavailable as a result.

I think there is a lot of confusion in terms of how pricing is communicated, how refunds work, and there might be issues with legacy pricing and sales too.

OK. It might be true that you don't set the price, but they do act funky - at least for me. There will be bundles where it takes the purchase amount of one of the apps off of the bundle price and other times where it doesn't. And this isn't due to apps I got free either nor does the bundle drop below zero. And I have seen situations where the "complete my bundle" price is higher than the remaining game(s) I would get.

I honestly do not believe they always function the way they should. Sometimes they do, but in many cases they don't. I imagine that is due to the way Apple has them working - not the devs/publishers fault.

awp69

Hmmmm, yeh $4.99 is definitely a good price. Cool, might just pick this up.

Damn that's cheap.

Pitta - not sure if you are free to say but if there are IAPs, are they purely optional? Also, how big is it installed? Must prepare!

Ugh.. And those idiots in the comments criticising it as more mobile crap. People are so blinded by misconception.

PittaGAF

Damn that's cheap.

Pitta - not sure if you are free to say but if there are IAPs, are they purely optional? Also, how big is it installed? Must prepare!

Ugh.. And those idiots in the comments criticising it as more mobile crap. People are so blinded by misconception.

As for iap can't say but I think you will be surprised ;)

I do not have final build installed so I do not know (beta builds vary a lot in space).
It's not a small game, that's for sure :)
While I'm convinced 'mobile' (but better: touch screen) is the best option for TBS (I like it much more than mouse) the game will probably land on PC someday.
If it was out on PC first with no mention of 'mobile' I'm pretty sure many would go mental for it, especially WH40K fans.
It's sad but....yeah.

Not to mention Async multiplayer (which is super fun) makes sense only on mobile IMHO).

heringer

As for iap can't say but I think you will be surprised ;)

I do not have final build installed so I do not know (beta builds vary a lot in space).
It's not a small game, that's for sure :)
While I'm convinced 'mobile' (but better: touch screen) is the best option for TBS (I like it much more than mouse) the game will probably land on PC someday.
If it was out on PC first with no mention of 'mobile' I'm pretty sure many would go mental for it, especially WH40K fans.
It's sad but....yeah.

Not to mention Async multiplayer (which is super fun) makes sense only on mobile IMHO).

Nah man. Async multiplayer existed on PC way before mobile was a game thing. It wasn't as popular as it is today, though.

I'll keep an eye on the game. Looks nice, but they will have to step up their game big time from Hunters and Hunters 2.

PittaGAF

Nah man. Async multiplayer existed on PC way before mobile was a game thing. It wasn't as popular as it is today, though.

I'll keep an eye on the game. Looks nice, but they will have to step up their game big time from Hunters and Hunters 2.

I know it existed before,I played by mail long ago on PC....but as you said it wasn't that popular.
The convenience of having a notification on your phone and taking your turn whenever you are it's a game changer imho for certain types of experiences (like games where taking your turn is fast).

Cross async multiplayer games (like Space Hulk) imho make almost no sense at all because your opponent must be glued to the screen or around the PC to have a reasonable completion timeframe.
As a matter of fact, whenever I tried to play async with PCs it almost always came down to book time in advance and be online all together.
Which cancels the convenience for most games of this type.

colinp

Banned
I remember enjoying a Play By E-Mail game way back when. No doubt the convenience of the phone makes async much better now, but the novelty twenty years ago was off the charts.

heringer

I know it existed before,I played by mail long ago on PC....but as you said it wasn't that popular.
The convenience of having a notification on your phone and taking your turn whenever you are it's a game changer imho for certain types of experiences (like games where taking your turn is fast).

Cross async multiplayer games (like Space Hulk) imho make almost no sense at all because your opponent must be glued to the screen or around the PC to have a reasonable completion timeframe.
As a matter of fact, whenever I tried to play async with PCs it almost always came down to book time in advance and be online all together.
Which cancels the convenience for most games of this type.

I agree with you that it's more convenient on mobile. I just don't agree that it doesn't make sense on PC. From my experience, it does make sense as it's a feature I've used before on PC.

PittaGAF

Pitta can you listen to background audio like podcasts while playing ?

Not sure. I'll try and/or ask around and let you know.

EDIT:
I have to say the game, for the setting and the genre and the tight campaign, it's pretty immersive thanks even to its audio.
So I do not know...it's not your typical mobile game/I can play listening to whatever type of game imho.
It's a pretty demanding game....but maybe it's just me.

PittaGAF

I agree with you that it's more convenient on mobile. I just don't agree that it doesn't make sense on PC. From my experience, it does make sense as it's a feature I've used before on PC.

Sorry I express myself wrong (remember my English is limited to glorious and few other words :p)
I'm an async addict so I see the convenience everywhere, even on PC where everything started!
What I meant it's that some games (i.e.: Space Hulk) implement it cross platform but without notifications (besides mail there aren't really notification for async games on PC, not that I know)...you have to enter the game to actually see you have a turn to take defeating the purpose.
Siltherine, on the contrary (last of a long list of PC developers in niche TBS games I happen to like) implements it on PC via mail notifications (flawless).
That's what I wanted to say.

If it was for me, I would implement async everywhere :)

heringer

Sorry I express myself wrong (remember my English is limited to glorious and few other words :p)
I'm an async addict so I see the convenience everywhere, even on PC where everything started!
What I meant it's that some games (i.e.: Space Hulk) implement it cross platform but without notifications (besides mail there aren't really notification for async games on PC, not that I know)...you have to enter the game to actually see you have a turn to take defeating the purpose.
Siltherine, on the contrary (last of a long list of PC developers in niche TBS games I happen to like) implements it on PC via mail notifications (flawless).
That's what I wanted to say.

If it was for me, I would implement async everywhere :)

Oh I see. To be honest, I don't really mind lack of notifications. I disable everything on my devices, and when I'm playing something async I usually get into a bunch of games and everytime I log there's at least one turn to play.

Brakara

Yeah the main issue with PC async games are lack of notifications. That's what makes it awesome on mobile devices. So it would be cool if, say, Steam added support for async games with some sort of notification system...

PittaGAF

Yeah the main issue with PC async games are lack of notifications. That's what makes it awesome on mobile devices. So it would be cool if, say, Steam added support for async games with some sort of notification system...

Yeah, having even their own client it would be a trivial thing to implement.

But then again, maybe it's for our safety.
I play a ton of async games and I can safely say that if my wife hears once again 'Carcassonne!' 'Blink!' 'It's your turn!' or the custom trumpet, she will kill me.

Kind of disappointed that Deathwatch will only be $5. I was ready to pay $10.
As much as I love all the high quality iOS releases we've been getting, it frustrates me to no end that if a game like Deathwatch or Heroki released on PC first for $10/15, no one would complain

awp69

Kind of took me off guard that PG posted its review of This War is Mine when it hasn't hit mobile yet. Then I saw they added Steam as a new category on the site. Not that I mind, but how is Steam "pocket gaming"?

Still looking forward to the mobile release which should be pretty soon.

Kind of disappointed that Deathwatch will only be $5. I was ready to pay $10.
As much as I love all the high quality iOS releases we've been getting, it frustrates me to no end that if a game like Deathwatch or Heroki released on PC first for $10/15, no one would complain

Surprised too since it's also part of a well known IP. I have a feeling, regardless of quality and the controversy over it, that the Adventures of Pip will struggle at $15 -- mainly because it is not well known. But Warhammer? That's a known commodity and Warhammer Quest also helps it already have a player base on iOS.

Kind of took me off guard that PG posted its review of This War is Mine when it hasn't hit mobile yet. Then I saw they added Steam as a new category on the site. Not that I mind, but how is Steam "pocket gaming"?

Still looking forward to the mobile release which should be pretty soon.
Well PC and mobile have been connected for years now. Console ports are rare but PC ports to mobile and vice versa happen all the time. More games are releasing cross-platform (PC and mobile) or getting expanded PC/console releases (like Super Impossible Road)

Games coming out on PC and Vita, or ports from 3DS to PC, or mobile/PC release, etc

PC is definitely linked with mobile/handheld platforms

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Notifications have been built into the OS on Mac for a while now, and with Windows 10 that too has system-level support for notifications just like iOS does.

We're almost there.

awp69

So reading responses to comments at PG, sounds like a This War of Mine will be released on mobile this week! Along with Deathwatch, already a great week ahead of us.

awp69

All three of Amazon's iOS releases are currently on sale for $3.99 (Lost Within, Tales from Deep Space and Til Morning's Light). You can also get Lost Within and Til Morning's Light for $5.99 in a bundle.

Already have Til Morning's Light and am enjoying it even if the QTE style combat gets a bit repetitive.

Think I'll take a dive on the other two. Wanted Tales from Deep Space already and the "complete my bundle" actually works on Lost Within so will snag it for $2. Amazon's output on iOS has been pretty impressive.

Of course with Deathwatch and This War of Mine coming this week, I'm going to be racking up quite the backlog.

Top Bottom