• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution

Angry-Birds-2-Teaser.jpg

awp69

Picked up Deathwatch, of course. Only played a bit but absolutely loving it so far. I too love the Alien movies, and am currently playing Alien Isolation, so the setting here just is perfect for me. The music and atmosphere is fantastic.

Oh, and Rodeo really should put something in there to let players know how to pitch the camera. I would never have figured it out if it wasn't for Pitta. It still isn't as easy as it should be to pitch it.

One other minor annoyance is when you are playing the campaign does it always take you back to the main menu? Also seems to be some slightly buggy movement where an alien disappears as it moves.

But those are minor complaints. Definately would say this is Rodeo's best effort overall from what I've played so far.

PittaGAF

I think it states you can pitch the camera during the prologue (with a picture of your 2 fingers moving) but maybe they removed it, not sure...I'm downloading the game right now from the Appstore.

But yes...fingers have to be aligned vertically, sometimes I still pan instead of pitch.

I've been told the game doesn't support iCloud (never knew as I could play just on one device during the beta)...which is really annoying for me and a bit surprising, considering it worked like a charm in Warhammer Quest.
I hope they will add it later....but now I must figure out how to transfer saves from beta release to final and between the two devices :(

That said....I can't wait to play the final!!!
Finally I'll be able to play proper multiplayer with friends, complete the game and start hard!!!
I really want to see those elite units!!!

You always get back to main screen after a mission for a simple reason...you unlock things and you may want:

1) Equip or sell them
2) Spend the XP gained

It's a metagame that it's really engaging....you will spend a lot of time (I do anyway) in the armory to outfit your Marines before a mission...trying to decide WHO to bring in, HOW to upgrade skills, and WHAT to take.
Till Act 5 you will probably almost skip this and brute force the missions....but believe me, after that it's critical.

Yesterday night I was SO CLOSE to reach last mission after having changed completely my approach.
I can't post screenshots because spoiler but....AMAZING!!!

PittaGAF

I think it's a regular price, no sale.

I'm SOOOOOO SAD.

Apparently iOS 8.4 (which I updated to last week on iPhone) blocks iExplorer....so I can't transfer my save to iPhone....I was at the end!!!!

On a side note, graphics on iPhone 6 is even more gorgeous than regular iPad Air (much crispier,fog much more dense and noticeable, reflections more evident).

Sigh, I'm soooooooooo sad.

colinp

Banned
Deathwatch is preeeeeeeetty sweet. Load times aren't great and screen is a bit small on 5S, but manageable and beautiful all the same.

heringer

I'm SOOOOOO SAD.

Apparently iOS 8.4 (which I updated to last week on iPhone) blocks iExplorer....so I can't transfer my save to iPhone....I was at the end!!!!

On a side note, graphics on iPhone 6 is even more gorgeous than regular iPad Air (much crispier,fog much more dense and noticeable, reflections more evident).

Does the game still look good and runs smooth on Air/Mini 2? Do characters and monsters cast shadows?

Also, how varied are the enemies?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I'm SOOOOOO SAD.

Badger Rodeo to implement iTunes file sharing. ;)

And yeah the game does not seem to work on iOS 9.

PittaGAF

Does the game still look good and runs smooth on Air/Mini 2? Do characters and monsters cast shadows?

Also, how varied are the enemies?

Game looks very good on Air, the final version looks even better than my last beta for some reason.
I was actually able to recover my save on Air (only :( ) and I'm now at last mission, which is insanely good.
There are fixed shadows in the environment, but not realtime ones for chars and monsters (they do not project real time shadows, but you see them 'shadowed' according to lights, covers and line of sight).

It's a wonderful looking game for sure.

Li Kao

Err, is it me or is Apple actively working to render itunes on PC as broken as possible ? Just checking.
Fucking sad that I still need this mess to transfer pdf on my ipad. I would gladly ditch the thing and pretend it never existed. Heck, even iOS own UI is bad in my opinion. Incredibly awkward controls (how many times does the UI fail to move apps, because reasons, ughhh).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Err, is it me or is Apple actively working to render itunes on PC as broken as possible ? Just checking.
Fucking sad that I still need this mess to transfer pdf on my ipad. I would gladly ditch the thing and pretend it never existed. Heck, even iOS own UI is bad in my opinion. Incredibly awkward controls (how many times does the UI fail to move apps, because reasons, ughhh).

How do you mean that you need iTunes to do that?

heringer

Game looks very good on Air, the final version looks even better than my last beta for some reason.
I was actually able to recover my save on Air (only :( ) and I'm now at last mission, which is insanely good.
There are fixed shadows in the environment, but not realtime ones for chars and monsters (they do not project real time shadows, but you see them 'shadowed' according to lights, covers and line of sight).

It's a wonderful looking game for sure.

Sweet!

Last question, I promise.

Does the game have a fast forward button like Warhammer? Since Rodeo games are on the slow side, a fast forward button to accelerate enemy turn would really help.

PittaGAF

Sweet!

Last question, I promise.

Does the game have a fast forward button like Warhammer? Since Rodeo games are on the slow side, a fast forward button to accelerate enemy turn would really help.

No, no fast forward.
I think the pacing is faster than WHQ but I've read comments on TA thinking the opposite, so your mileage may vary.

It's not slow as Space Hulk, for sure.

EDIT: Damn, just discovered there isn't multiplayer in the release version of Deathwatch! It's coming soon...I hope with iCloud too.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Oh I'm sure there are workarounds I didn't think about. What do you mean ? Let's say I have a pdf on my computer and want to transfer it top my ipad. Are you suggesting Dropbox ?
Yeah any number of cloud services. :)

On the subject, in iOS 9 iCloud finally works like say Dropbox and has actual file management that can hook into all the various apps.

awp69

No, no fast forward.
I think the pacing is faster than WHQ but I've read comments on TA thinking the opposite, so your mileage may vary.

It's not slow as Space Hulk, for sure.

It is a little slow and I'm surprised that they left that option out. But I can live with it.

PittaGAF

It is a little slow and I'm surprised that they left that option out. But I can live with it.

Slow?
Wait till you see the Carnifex tearing apart your Marines in slow motion :)

To be honest I do not feel it's slow, WHQ was slower imho.
I do not find it slower than, let's say, XCOM or Banner Saga to mention two other TBS I played on iOS 'recently'.

awp69

Slow?
Wait till you see the Carnifex tearing apart your Marines in slow motion :)

To be honest I do not feel it's slow, WHQ was slower imho.
I do not find it slower than, let's say, XCOM or Banner Saga to mention two other TBS I played on iOS 'recently'.

It's not painfully slow and it doesn't bother me much, but when there are 10 or more enemies on the screen a fast forward or 2x button would be a nice option to have.

PittaGAF

It's not painfully slow and it doesn't bother me much, but when there are 10 or more enemies on the screen a fast forward or 2x button would be a nice option to have.

Ah! Do you mean when they come out from the 'borders'?
I usually moan and groan at each one coming out, not to mention sweating when I see (or often even just hear) a big one.

PittaGAF

I'm so pissed I can't transfer my DW save to iPhone.
It's really GLORIOUS there.

So far internet searches proved vain....does anyone know if there are any tricks to make iExplorer or any other program work with iOS 8.4 ?

EDIT: if you have a latest device 6/6+ and maybe Air 2 you are in for a visual threat. It's SPECTACULAR....so many effects!!! And I re started from scratch so I do not even have the 'cool' gear!!!
Unreal 4 engine (and Rodeo) is awesome.

heringer

It's the little things that can turn a fairly well paced SRPG into a slow one.

For instance, I'm playing Tactics Ogre right now. Great game, and I feel the pacing is fine for a SRPG. The pacing is like this: you move, your enemy moves and then you move again (not necessarily, but you know what I mean), because each character has it's individual speed that defines it's turn. The GBA Tactics Ogre is a very similar game on the surface: it has the same animations, strikes and moves are no different from it's big brother, however, because the game works on a phase system (player phase/enemy phase), it becomes incredibly slow, almost unbearably so. This system works well for faster paced games like Fire Emblem. Banner Saga was a bit slow too, but not too much, maybe because the art and animations were so gorgeous to look at, so I didn't mind. Tactics Maiden works like that too, but it's fast like FE. It's the best SRPG on mobile, by the way, so you guys should get it. It's the Swordigo of SRPG's (ugly on the surface, brilliant underneath).

But whatever, I'll judge it myself. Downloading Deathwatch right now.

PittaGAF

It's the little things that can turn a fairly well paced SRPG into a slow one.

For instance, I'm playing Tactics Ogre right now. Great game, and I feel the pacing is fine for a SRPG. The pacing is like this: you move, your enemy moves and then you move again (not necessarily, but you know what I mean), because each character has it's individual speed that defines it's turn. The GBA Tactics Ogre is a very similar game on the surface: it has the same animations, strikes and moves are no different from it's big brother, however, because the game works on a phase system (player phase/enemy phase), it becomes incredibly slow, almost unbearably so. This system works well for faster paced games like Fire Emblem. Banner Saga was a bit slow too, but not too much, maybe because the art and animations were so gorgeous to look at, so I didn't mind. Tactics Maiden works like that too, but it's fast like FE. It's the best SRPG on mobile, by the way, so you guys should get it. It's the Swordigo of SRPG's (ugly on the surface, brilliant underneath).

But whatever, I'll judge it myself. Downloading Deathwatch right now.

Ah I see what you mean.
But it's a different mechanic (personally I prefer phases). But yeah.

I hope you like it as I do!!!
If you have a late device it's a visual threat !!!

Halfway through the month, and 7 page, almost 8, already. Nice to see these threads being more active again.

What a hell of month so far
- Deathwatch
- This War of Mine
- Don't Starve
- Heroki
- The Executive
- Divide By Sheep
- Adventures of Pip
- Avernum 2 re-release

Halfway through the month, and 7 page, almost 8, already. Nice to see these threads being more active again.

What a hell of month so far
- Deathwatch
- This War of Mine
- Don't Starve
- Heroki
- The Executive
- Divide By Sheep
- Adventures of Pip
- Avernum 2 re-release

i can't keep up with all these games :/

heringer

Finished the tutorial. I'm enjoying it! It's not as slow as I expected. I have to say that WHQ had more striking visuals to me though. DW looks a little bland in comparison.

PittaGAF

You know you are playing a masterpiece when the first thing you do after completing it, is restarting immediately.
Just completed Deathwatch (I would say 20-30 hours), absolutely amazing.
I highly recommend it, especially if you liked Hunters 2 or Warhammer Quest.
And it's hands down the best WH40K game out there.

Last Act was really tricky....I changed weapons, gears and even marines to finally crack it. And that was several times.
Completed with just one marine standing, with almost no HP. (I choose the right final Auspex and won :) ).
Hard and elite aliens (with more skills!!!), here I come.

I took a billion of super cool screenshots, but you all would kill me if I show them :)
I can safely say than on latest devices the graphics is incredible (it's awesome on iPad Air too, but on latest devicse is really out of scale, like the trailers).

Finished the tutorial. I'm enjoying it! It's not as slow as I expected. I have to say that WHQ had more striking visuals to me though. DW looks a little bland in comparison.
The environments get more varied and detailed as you progress. I thought Quest seemed kind of same-y

heringer

You know you are playing a masterpiece when the first thing you do after completing it, is restarting immediately.
Just completed Deathwatch (I would say 20-30 hours), absolutely amazing.
I highly recommend it, especially if you liked Hunters 2 or Warhammer Quest.
And it's hands down the best WH40K game out there.

Last Act was really tricky....I changed weapons, gears and even marines to finally crack it. And that was several times.
Completed with just one marine standing, with almost no HP. (I choose the right final Auspex and won :) ).
Hard and elite aliens (with more skills!!!), here I come.

I took a billion of super cool screenshots, but you all would kill me if I show them :)
I can safely say than on latest devices the graphics is incredible (it's awesome on iPad Air too, but on latest devicse is really out of scale, like the trailers).

What do you do with tier 1 marines that aren't useful? Can't you "scrap" them or something?

awp69

On a completely different spectrum of gaming, wanted to mention that Impulse GP is pretty fun. Futuristic racing is one of my favorite genres so I couldn't resist checking out a new premium one. It's on cycles but not as demanding as something like Moto GP as far as having to worry about falling off. Pure arcade with a some interesting boost mechanics and a nice slightly different option for controls with a curved arch slider.

Not as good or as visually astounding as AG Drive, but worth a look if you are into these type of games.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Deathwatch chat...

PittaGAF

What do you do with tier 1 marines that aren't useful? Can't you "scrap" them or something?

You can sell them, press the X near the name.
Actually when you receive a new marine you have to choose what to do, and later on it's pretty interesting.
Higher tier marines, besides being graphically cooler, have access to more skills over tier 1 marines.
But chances are you already leveled your tier one....so you have to decide in investing and growing a new one or retaining the old one.
Later on I found myself in trouble with 'fresh' tier 3 over experienced tier 1.
In the end tough, skills and gears always pay.

killercow

What else is releasing that day?

Legend of Grimrock (iPhone)
Cosmonautica (the 31st but the same week)
Angry Birds 2

And that's only what's announced!

I'm also hearing that GoT Episode 5 will be released next week, july 23rd on iOS. The amount of releases is insane this year.

awp69

As if July couldn't get any bigger, a port of Race The Sun is coming to IOS on the 30th
Race-the-Sun-Moving-Blocks.jpg

I've played Race the Sun on PS4 and it's a fun, runner type game that's fairly addicting (probably more so on mobile), but certainly not on par with other recent ports. That, honestly, is a game I'm not sure I'd rebuy unless the price was relatively low. It honestly feels like a good mobile game that was ported to console rather than the other way around.

It is gorgeous though.

Top Bottom