• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

iLLmAtlc

so i can only upate to 8.x and put install jailbreak onto it?
there is no other way of getting 7.x???
holy fuck?=??

Yeah you can only update to the latest version.

Perhaps you can look into shsh blobs, which is what older devices use to upgrade to unsigned versions. But like I said before I believe they are limited to a4 processors and ipad 2. In addition shsh blobs are unique to your own device so if you haven't downloaded them, and if cydia hasn't downloaded them, then you won't have any.

Sakujou

Banned
Yeah you can only update to the latest version.

Perhaps you can look into shsh blobs, which is what older devices use to upgrade to unsigned versions. But like I said before I believe they are limited to a4 processors and ipad 2. In addition shsh blobs are unique to your own device so if you haven't downloaded them, and if cydia hasn't downloaded them, then you won't have any.

wow, this gets worse and worse. i can only update to the latest version? there is no way i can choose another version????
holy shit...

//DEVIL//

Hi.

i need a lil help :)
i recently got to jb my iphone 6 plus " had it for a while but i didn't bother updating or jailbreaking it "

i want to extend the battery life by forcing 2G connection only " I don't use Data on my phone, i already have a protable modem"

however under the settings there is no such an option. only a 4G toggle ON/OFF which turns the phone to a 3G only.

is there a source/repo and mod name i can add to bring back this toggle ?

Thanks

Macadinho

Banned
Hey guys,

Years ago when I had the iPod Touch I jailbroke it. Recently I got a iPhone 5S so have decided to jailbreak my old iPhone 4. It has iOS version 7.1.2. What's the jailbreak software I can use on this (If there's one available)?

Hey guys,

Years ago when I had the iPod Touch I jailbroke it. Recently I got a iPhone 5S so have decided to jailbreak my old iPhone 4. It has iOS version 7.1.2. What's the jailbreak software I can use on this (If there's one available)?

I'm sure there are others but I used Pangu to jailbreak an iPhone 4 I had that was also running 7.1.2.

ryan299

I don't use windows and I'm trying to jailbreak 8.4 using the new taig tool and it keeps telling me it can't find the apple driver. I've uninstalled itunes and tried the version taig says but it doesn't install at all. Any idea how to get it to work?

I don't use windows and I'm trying to jailbreak 8.4 using the new taig tool and it keeps telling me it can't find the apple driver. I've uninstalled itunes and tried the version taig says but it doesn't install at all. Any idea how to get it to work?

http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-apple-driver-hasnt-been-found-error-during-taig-ios-8.3-jailbreak/

smooth sailing from there, my friend.

that said, I wouldn't look to install much from Cydia. shit is mostly not compatible atm.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Monday night I updated to 8.3 and jailbroke my phone, last night I updated to 8.4 and jailbroke my phone. Good times. Apple Music is alright, although I doubt I'll continue after the free trial. Hopefully by then there'll be some tweaks to put your own music front and centre rather than having it be an afterthought to all the streaming stuff.

The Boat

So 8.4 is jail broken? What's the easiest way to go about doing it? I'm out of date on the whole process, both my iPad and iPhone are on old iOS versions.

Shaneus

Monday night I updated to 8.3 and jailbroke my phone, last night I updated to 8.4 and jailbroke my phone. Good times. Apple Music is alright, although I doubt I'll continue after the free trial. Hopefully by then there'll be some tweaks to put your own music front and centre rather than having it be an afterthought to all the streaming stuff.
Any significant difference between 8.3 and 8.4?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Any significant difference between 8.3 and 8.4?

In terms of the actual OS, the music app has had a massive refresh. The player looks a lot better and now Apple Music is integrated. If you're at all interested in Apple Music then I'd upgrade. It's very similar to Spotify, but seeing as I don't have a Spotify account I'm happy using it. Being able to search for anything inside the music app and then just add it right to your music library is great. Plus there's a whole bunch of bug fixes etc in the background.

In terms of jailbreak tweaks etc, not really a significant issue in upgrading. Some stuff to do with the music app might need working on as it's had such big changes.

Shaneus

I more meant in terms of performance, but it's no biggie since I upgraded my 5S to 8.4 anyway :)

Still have my iPad mini Retina at 8.1.2 though, because Controllers For All hasn't been updated yet.

ryan299

I more meant in terms of performance, but it's no biggie since I upgraded my 5S to 8.4 anyway :)

Still have my iPad mini Retina at 8.1.2 though, because Controllers For All hasn't been updated yet.

I just did my 6 on 8.4 last night and it was working perfectly and now this morning its constantly crashing. Can't seem to figure out why

Shaneus

I just did my 6 on 8.4 last night and it was working perfectly and now this morning its constantly crashing. Can't seem to figure out why
What tweaks do you have installed? I wondered why mine started crashing all of a sudden after it had been running fine for ages, and turns out Powerbanners was crashing whenever it tried to show a battery alert (at 20% of battery). And Controllers For All was crashing whenever I started an M-Fi game.

Check that compatibility table via Reddit.

Might pay to check out the 8.3 table as well. There was no mention of Powerbanners on the 8.4 one, but it was mentioned as faulty on the 8.3 sheet. I suspect both lists are accurate for both versions of iOS given there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two.

iLLmAtlc

Mannnn is there no way to skip a track without pulling up the player now? Before you could just do it from the library, right?

ryan299

Quick question, got the jailbreak working finally, and now my apps won't update in the app store. Any way to fix this without restoring and jailbreaking again?

MIMIC

Banned
Quick question, got the jailbreak working finally, and now my apps won't update in the app store. Any way to fix this without restoring and jailbreaking again?

I was having the same problem. If you change the iPhone's language (to simple Chinese, IIRC) and change it back, it fixes the issue. It worked for me.

EDIT: And I have a quick question: do I have to rejailbreak my phone EVERY TIME a new iOS comes out? I'm on 8.3 and I heard that the TaiG group has released an 8.4-compatible jailbreak. Was this the update that was available through Cydia? Can I simply update my iPhone to 8.4 or do I have to restore my phone and go through the entire jailbreaking process?

iLLmAtlc

Think restore is recommended but I've heard of people jb with update too.

In any event 8.4 sounds like the last major update with the new music player so it's probably worth it to go thru the trouble again.

Shaneus

EDIT: And I have a quick question: do I have to rejailbreak my phone EVERY TIME a new iOS comes out? I'm on 8.3 and I heard that the TaiG group has released an 8.4-compatible jailbreak. Was this the update that was available through Cydia? Can I simply update my iPhone to 8.4 or do I have to restore my phone and go through the entire jailbreaking process?
The update via Cydia would've been to update the jailbreak files they use to fix any bugs, but it wouldn't have made any changes to your iOS version.

As with any iOS upgrade with the intention of jailbreaking, it's recommended you do a backup of your device then do a full recovery to the new version using the IPSW file directly from Apple (via iTunes). Then you do a restore of your data over the top, then you jailbreak. This ensures your phone is "clean" when jailbreaking it, rather than leaving potential niggly files which may take up space/cause issues.

So nah, you can't just update your phone to 8.4 even though they use the same jailbreak exploit. You have to go through the whole process again.

I'm digging into the topic now but I would like to know if I can downgrade my iPad Air 2 w/ 8.4 back to 8.3

I really dislike what they've done to the Music app.

Shaneus

I don't believe so, Apple are no longer signing the 8.3 firmware.
This is true. And I hate the music app as well, it really is an absolute shocker. But there are a number of tweaks in Cydia (most free, I think) that enable customisation, so hopefully you can tweak it to be not quite as shit.

This is true. And I hate the music app as well, it really is an absolute shocker. But there are a number of tweaks in Cydia (most free, I think) that enable customisation, so hopefully you can tweak it to be not quite as shit.

I heard that Apple no longer signing 8.3 was basically a big fat no for downgrading, but even jail breaking it can't be done? That sucks. I'll look into what Cydia can do for me though.

Shaneus

I heard that Apple no longer signing 8.3 was basically a big fat no for downgrading, but even jail breaking it can't be done? That sucks. I'll look into what Cydia can do for me though.
Nothing at all I'm afraid. As I said, best you could probably to is tweaks. Or *maybe* there's a way to install the 8.3 music app on 8.4 and just hide the 8.4 music app icon.

Shaneus

So iOS 9.0 is out today. Any jailbreak for it yet?
Have a guess? I don't think *any* jailbreak has been available day 0 for a major iOS release. It's more likely we'll see one for 9.1 or 9.0.1.

Google also works, the first article that appears talks about how it's been jailbroken but with an exploit that won't be released to the public.

Great, totally forgot my 4S was jailbroken when I decided to restore it.

Now I'm getting Error 48 and my phone's as good as dead :-/

Anyone fixed this before? I'll pay $$$

iLLmAtlc

Great, totally forgot my 4S was jailbroken when I decided to restore it.

Now I'm getting Error 48 and my phone's as good as dead :-/

Anyone fixed this before? I'll pay $$$

There usually isn't any problem with restoring jail broken phones. Can you elaborate in what you mean by dead?

Try putting it into dfu mode and restoring again.

It's generally extremely difficult to "brick" an iPhone

There usually isn't any problem with restoring jail broken phones. Can you elaborate in what you mean by dead?

Try putting it into dfu mode and restoring again.

It's generally extremely difficult to "brick" an iPhone
Apparently when you jailbreak an iPhone and then try to reset it ("Erase All Content and Settings") it gets into a loop that requires you to put it in DFU mode.

But when you do, the restore process can't finish because even though nothing's wrong with the hardware, the jailbreaking process does something to the IPSW that makes it mess up at the very end of the restore. So I'm stuck in DFU and can't get out because the restore process won't complete.

Super annoying.

iLLmAtlc

Apparently when you jailbreak an iPhone and then try to reset it ("Erase All Content and Settings") it gets into a loop that requires you to put it in DFU mode.

But when you do, the restore process can't finish because even though nothing's wrong with the hardware, the jailbreaking process does something to the IPSW that makes it mess up at the very end of the restore. So I'm stuck in DFU and can't get out because the restore process won't complete.

Super annoying.

Oh ok that's happened to me before. Are you in dfu mode or recovery? Irc you'd be in a recovery loop? Get tiny umbrella and try to use the exit recovery feature. This may not fix the loop, but you should watch for the screen turning black before the apple logo pops up. That's when you gotta do the dfu mode process and hopefully get into dfu mode.

Oh ok that's happened to me before. Are you in dfu mode or recovery? Irc you'd be in a recovery loop? Get tiny umbrella and try to use the exit recovery feature. This may not fix the loop, but you should watch for the screen turning black before the apple logo pops up. That's when you gotta do the dfu mode process and hopefully get into dfu mode.
DFU mode, and I'm not stuck in the loop. It's hard to explain, so I'll link it here: Error 48 (someone else's post)

It's so frustrating to see everyone online immediately assume it's a hardware issue...

pacman85

I tried this and got to basically the very last step but instead of saying Jailbreak Complete on the screen within Pangu it restarts my phone, auto-detects it and says Jailbreak Ready like the jailbreak didn't work. When I check my phone after that, I don't see Cydia but the Pangu app is still there on my phone. I have tried a couple of times now and followed all the directions (even referenced a tutuorial on idownloadblog) with the same issue each time. Anyone else having this issue?

Shaneus

Oh wow, that's quick. I'm still going to wait a week or so to do mine though.
I'm kinda hanging to see if it works on 9.1. I'm guessing not (which is why they released it) but iOS9 overall just seems like a clusterfuck, so I'm happy to stick with 8.1.2 or whatever I'm on. Miss out on latest Tweetbot sale, but whatevers.

Did they rush this out or something, this sucks, it has way more problems jailbreaking than usual, two tries and Cydia crashes and never opens up, I'll wait til 9.1.

Top Bottom