• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Gaaraz

Thanks, yeah I think it should be okay? Probably as fast as a two year old OS at least. Maybe I'll give it a miss then... Not that it matters now anyway as they've released 9.1 :(

I was looking into jail breaking my iPad recently (I want to use my PS4 controller with it) and I didn't realize the most recent release hadn't been jail broken yet.

I guess I was surprised at how recently I updated my iPad, I thought 9.2 came out a lot longer ago than a few weeks ago. Apparently a 9.2 or 9.2.1 is getting jailbroken soon according to a news post I saw recently, so hopefully I won't haven't wait long.

I've been running jailbroken iOS 8.1.2 for a long time now, and I want to make the small leap to 8.3 because I hear it's still the best for now. Is it still possible to install 8.3 on my 5S?

iLLmAtlc

I've been running jailbroken iOS 8.1.2 for a long time now, and I want to make the small leap to 8.3 because I hear it's still the best for now. Is it still possible to install 8.3 on my 5S?

I haven't looked in a long time but Apple has only allowed updates to the newest iOS versions for years now

Shaneus

Bump to end all bumps... Pangu has released a 9.2 - 9.3.3 jailbreak for 64-bit devices.

Few things:
1) It's semi-quasi-untethered. So when you reboot your device will essentially be un-jailbroken, but when you run the PP app on your device, it will jailbreak on it's own (no need to connect it to PC to re-jailbreak it)
2) Still only available in Chinese. Cydia is still in English

There's another thread on it over at Reddit here.

Woo!

Edit: From iDownloadBlog, How to jailbreak iOS 9.3.3.

Can someone answer a dumb question?

So my in-laws sent my wife a "free" iPhone 6s but as I correctly predicted it isn't free but tied to their contract. So locked to ATT. As confirmed by a message when you insert any other sim.

So ATT want $750 in money to unlock the phone so it can be used on another network. Which isn't really worth it tbh. or we can wait 1.5 years lol.

Now I go to of those "imei unlock" websites and enter the model, carrier and IMEI number and it wants to charge me $28.

So I don't understand. Is that the same thing? why does ATT want to charge me $750 but someone else can do it for $28. What is going on behind the scenes, if anything .. or is it all a scam and its locked to ATT until someone coughs up $750.

thanks.

iLLmAtlc

Can someone answer a dumb question?

So my in-laws sent my wife a "free" iPhone 6s but as I correctly predicted it isn't free but tied to their contract. So locked to ATT. As confirmed by a message when you insert any other sim.

So ATT want $750 in money to unlock the phone so it can be used on another network. Which isn't really worth it tbh. or we can wait 1.5 years lol.

Now I go to of those "imei unlock" websites and enter the model, carrier and IMEI number and it wants to charge me $28.

So I don't understand. Is that the same thing? why does ATT want to charge me $750 but someone else can do it for $28. What is going on behind the scenes, if anything .. or is it all a scam and its locked to ATT until someone coughs up $750.

thanks.

I don't know if things have changed so take what I say with a grain of salt.

A few years ago AT&T was one of the easiest phones to unlock through a 3rd party retailer, it was being done for 5 bucks and under.

I'm not sure why it's more expensive now, but I'd feel pretty comfortable finding a reputable seller on eBay and buying an unlock through there.

They're being done with people at AT&T breaking the rules afaik.

AT&T wants you to pay off the entire phone. It's little to do with the unlock.

I know what ATT want, they still "own" the phone.
what I am mystified is why they want to charge $750 but the going rate to unlock phones in contract (but otherwise clean) appears to be $80.
I'm puzzled as to why one arm of ATT wants 750 to free up the phone (so, for example, you might sell it) and somehow, another part, will let someone whitelist the same IMEI for $80 or whatever.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's talk of a Jailbreak coming for 10.1.1 https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/5iiyo1/discussion_ios_1011_kernel_root_exploit_by/
I would downgrade or stay on 10.1.1 before it's too late.
I hope this gets a proper release for 32-bit devices. I know I'm in the minority with still having an iPhone 5/iOS8, but I'm just at the point where I think I'll take the slight performance hit to be able to use a bunch more regular default apps and features and jailbreak out the annoying stuff from newer iOSs.

Shaneus

Binabik15

I need help after someone tried to update my Ipad 3 (A1430) - with jailbreak on it- over WLAN. FW was old, like 6.X I think.

iTunes stops after a short while when trying to update through it now -once giving me error 9006- and the iPad stays in the "connect to iTunes" screen after starting up. I'm DLing 9.3.5.ipsw right now, because some tech forum posts told someone else to try that and update manually?

I don't know, I'm not an Apple guy, I just used it to browse and read ebooks.

I don't want to try to restore it to factory status unless I have to, because there are some Uni ebooks from an USB stick that was likely stolen recently (yay), so I can't just put the files back on, then there's some pics of my dead cat on there, as well as some nudes, etc.

Help, please?

iLLmAtlc

I need help after someone tried to update my Ipad 3 (A1430) - with jailbreak on it- over WLAN. FW was old, like 6.X I think.

iTunes stops after a short while when trying to update through it now -once giving me error 9006- and the iPad stays in the "connect to iTunes" screen after starting up. I'm DLing 9.3.5.ipsw right now, because some tech forum posts told someone else to try that and update manually?

I don't know, I'm not an Apple guy, I just used it to browse and read ebooks.

I don't want to try to restore it to factory status unless I have to, because there are some Uni ebooks from an USB stick that was likely stolen recently (yay), so I can't just put the files back on, then there's some pics of my dead cat on there, as well as some nudes, etc.

Help, please?

Ebooks don't sync with the iTunes or the cloud?

Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do besides a restore. It's not necessarily the same as "factory reset" because you can sync with iTunes and restore your most recent backup, after wiping the iOS. That'll bring back all the music, apps, stuff like that. I'm just not sure if it restores your own PDFs .

You can try holding the apple button and power button together to see if the iOS boots, if that doesn't work then I dunno what else you can do.

Also you can't restore to an old version, it has to be the newest one. Apple blocks all the old ones from completing.

Shaneus

Very early beta released for 10.1.1 iPhone 6s, 7 and iPad Pro.
https://twitter.com/qwertyoruiopz/status/811775122117918721
Only really for devs.
And you can't upgrade to 10.1.1 anymore as it's no longer being signed (as of yesterday), this also means if you didn't save the SHSH2 blobs, Prometheus (the downgrade tool) will likely be useless.

Someone (i0nic?) tweeted that a 10.2 j/b may be around the corner and apparently s/he's quite well respected, so we'll see.

pacman85

I'll stick on 10.1.1 for now but will wait until a non-beta untethered jailbreak comes out before I try anything. I have jailbroke a lot in the past but am in no way an expert on it so I'll heed their warning and steer clear.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Currently regretting not taking the risk and updating to 10.1.1 earlier because I have no idea if this theoretical 10.2 jailbreak will care for 32-bit.

If the 10.2 jailbreak comes out first, do you have to upgrade to that or can you stay on 10.1?
When you jailbreak, you will have to upgrade first to 10.2 before jailbreaking.

How long does it usually take for one of these jailbreaks to be used by normal people?
The betas that are currently going on are a bit uncommon of jailbreaks, and usually there is a stable release that is what people use to jailbreak.

Even then still, it's usually good to wait a few days (but update before the signing window closes!) after the jailbreak comes out to let all the backend stuff on Cydia get updated to support iOS10 and for the load on Cydia's servers to die down.

Currently regretting not taking the risk and updating to 10.1.1 earlier because I have no idea if this theoretical 10.2 jailbreak will care for 32-bit.

When you jailbreak, you will have to upgrade first to 10.2 before jailbreaking.

The betas that are currently going on are a bit uncommon of jailbreaks, and usually there is a stable release that is what people use to jailbreak.

Even then still, it's usually good to wait a few days (but update before the signing window closes!) after the jailbreak comes out to let all the backend stuff on Cydia get updated to support iOS10 and for the load on Cydia's servers to die down.

Cool thanks.

Blackhead

Redarse
So if I stayed on 10.1.1 specifically to wait it out until a good jailbreak was released and now the current version of iOS is 10.2.1 is there any way I can update to just 10.2 to do this jailbreak or am I screwed?

There is some confusion if 10.2.1 is not jailbreakable at all or merely buggy. But yes, you can update to just 10.2 right now. Download the 10.2 firmware directly on computer and update through iTunes.

Hmm... I'm on 10.2.1. Will my backup work if I downgrade to 10.2? Or just wait for 10.2.1. confirmation...

Enzom21

So if I stayed on 10.1.1 specifically to wait it out until a good jailbreak was released and now the current version of iOS is 10.2.1 is there any way I can update to just 10.2 to do this jailbreak or am I screwed?
10.2 is still being signed. Do not update to 10.2 if you are on the 7/+.
There is some confusion if 10.2.1 is not jailbreakable at all or merely buggy. But yes, you can update to just 10.2 right now. Download the 10.2 firmware directly on computer and update through iTunes.

Hmm... I'm on 10.2.1. Will my backup work if I downgrade to 10.2? Or just wait for 10.2.1. confirmation...

Your backup for 10.2.1 will not work on 10.2.

pacman85

Thanks guys, I will manually update to iOS 10.2 and download the ipsw file. I just realized I'm out of luck with this current jailbreak though as I only have an iPhone 6. I will still update to 10.2 though before they stop signing it.

Anyone here actually using the new jailbreak?
It's still in beta, so I'm curious how it is. Feels like I've been waiting forever for a real jailbreak.

ryan299

Anyone here actually using the new jailbreak?
It's still in beta, so I'm curious how it is. Feels like I've been waiting forever for a real jailbreak.

I used it and it was working great for a few hours, but then a cydia froze and after the restart I can't get it working again. Deleted the app and sideloaded it again but no go.

Seems like I'm gonna have to restore and i don't know how to downgrade.

I used it and it was working great for a few hours, but then a cydia froze and after the restart I can't get it working again. Deleted the app and sideloaded it again but no go.

Seems like I'm gonna have to restore and i don't know how to downgrade.

Ive been using it for a few days now with no problems.
Every time you reboot it you have to go back to the Yalu app and jailbreak it again. Otherwise all your tweaks will be disabled and Cydia won't open.

Otherwise, it seems like you're going to have to restore.

pacman85

I'm seeing a lot of different information (or misinformation perhaps) on a lot of different sites so hopefully someone can tell me the current state of everything. I have an iPhone 6 (AT&T, not sure that matters) with iOS 10.2 on it. Is there currently a stable non-beta jailbreak available for this setup? If so, what's the link to it? Thanks in advance.

I'm seeing a lot of different information (or misinformation perhaps) on a lot of different sites so hopefully someone can tell me the current state of everything. I have an iPhone 6 (AT&T, not sure that matters) with iOS 10.2 on it. Is there currently a stable non-beta jailbreak available for this setup? If so, what's the link to it? Thanks in advance.

There's no stable jailbreak yet. That being said, the newest beta is very stable.
Whether you decide to jailbreak now or later, don't update past 10.2.

Top Bottom