• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPod Mini Now Available in Canada (sortof)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
minifamily_07072004.jpg
minitext_07072004.gif

apple.ca has them up for preorder.
They should be in within a couple of weeks.

Hmm... they're $350 regular; $315 with the student discount... decisions decisions...

nomoment

Pochacco said:
minifamily_07072004.jpg
minitext_07072004.gif

apple.ca has them up for preorder.
They should be in within a couple of weeks.

Hmm... they're $350 regular; $315 with the student discount... decisions decisions...
I can get the regular 15 gig iPod for $350 w/student discount... hmm...

bionic77

Winged Creature said:
yep better sound quality with the dell, personally im gonna go for the Iriver blows everything else away

MP3 players are not known for their sound quality, you get them so you can carry all of your music around with you. They are for convenience. Nothing beats the Ipod for ease of use and portability imho. Their only weakness is their battery (only 8 hours) and price. Look around though, almost everyone who gets one swears by it and loves it.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
bionic77 said:
You get what you pay for......
What? A longer lasting battery (around 16-18 hours)? Better sound quality? Portability that is just as good as the Ipod? All for a lower price?

lol

The only drawback to the Dell is that you can't search through the songs as quickly... but I really don't care.

And I'm not cheap either... I mean I can literally taste, smell, feel the [extra] money that it cost to make something more expensive. And in many cases I won't buy the cheaper product because I generally live by "You get what you pay for......" but in this case (I have a cousin with an Ipod and I've tried it out), I couldn't really justify spending another $70 for the Apple brandname....

bionic77

TheQueen'sOwn said:
What? A longer lasting battery (around 16-18 hours)? Better sound quality? Portability that is just as good as the Ipod? All for a lower price?

lol

The only drawback to the Dell is that you can't search through the songs as quickly... but I really don't care.

No Itunes and the Dell has a shitty system of looking through songs, fatal flaws imho.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
1) I couldn't care less about Itunes.
2) It ain't flawed enough to bother me, let alone pay an additional $70 dollars on something else.

bionic77

TheQueen'sOwn said:
1) I couldn't care less about Itunes.
2) It ain't flawed enough to bother me, let alone pay an additional $70 dollars on something else.

Great for you, but those are important features to most people buying mp3 players.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
bionic77 said:
Great for you, but those are important features to most people buying mp3 players.
My most important feature is battery time.

and I'm not new to mp3 players... I bought one of the original Diamond Rio's (which I returned probably 4-5 times because of the god damned internal clock which I'm sure fucked it up), and then the Hip Zip (which I paid $450 dollars for :().

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
iTunes is overrated. Its just fancy MP3 sorting software for crying out loud.

I don't spend 16 hours between electicals outlets. I just want a mp3 player that's easy to manage and small.

bionic77

Hitman said:

Isn't that the most important part? Being able to easily navigate thousands of songs is what keeps Apple at the top for now at least. Eventually though they will fail because someone will MS them and copy what they do, but keep it open and thus it will become cheaper.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
6.8 said:

That's another thing I don't understand. People buying those really small RCA Lyra (is that the one?). Anything that is smaller than the credit card used to buy it is too small, imo lol. Once you get something that small you've gone past portability and you delved into the realm of something easy to lose.

Hitman

bionic77 said:
Isn't that the most important part? Being able to easily navigate thousands of songs is what keeps Apple at the top for now at least. Eventually though they will fail because someone will MS them and copy what they do, but keep it open and thus it will become cheaper.

I can navigate just fine with my iRiver. What exactly makes the iPod so much more navigatable(?) than any other mp3 player out there.

bionic77

Hitman said:
I can navigate just fine with my iRiver. What exactly makes the iPod so much more navigatable(?) than any other mp3 player out there.

The all powerful scroll wheel and itunes. Sounds like you guys never actually used an Ipod before. I have used a few Archos and the Iriver when I was looking around, never tried the Dell (very tempted because of its features and price), but I was sold when I played around with my friend's Ipod for a day.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
bionic77 said:
The all powerful scroll wheel and itunes. Sounds like you guys never actually used an Ipod before. I have used a few Archos and the Iriver when I was looking around, never tried the Dell (very tempted because of its features and price), but I was sold when I played around with my friend's Ipod for a day.
Yeah the scroll wheel on the Ipod is really easy to use (light tap and zooom! through the lists of songs).
However the Dell has the scroll wheel also :p ... just doesn't scroll through the lists as quickly :( lol.

Hitman

bionic77 said:

I've used my sisters Ipod mini. I don't see what's so great about the scroll wheel. Sure its cool and all being touch sensitive but I can still go through my song on the Iriver jsut as easily. One quick look through the iriver's feature list and you can see that it is superior to ipod.

bionic77

TheQueen'sOwn said:
Yeah the scroll wheel on the Ipod is really easy to use (light tap and zooom! through the lists of songs).
However the Dell has the scroll wheel also :p ... just doesn't scroll through the lists as quickly :( lol.

Note, I said all powerful scroll wheel.

Like I said before though, I fully expect Apple to totally fuck it up and blow their lead within the next 5 years because they won't share their shit and someone else will just come alone and copy it and make it cheaper, it will be Windows all over again, might even be MS that does it.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
The iPod is the coolest, style wise...by far.

(MD players are still cooler...but aren't as convient if you're library of music consists of mp3s..)

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
bionic77 said:
Like I said before though, I fully expect Apple to totally fuck it up and blow their lead within the next 5 years because they won't share their shit and someone else will just come alone and copy it and make it cheaper, it will be Windows all over again, might even be MS that does it.

Whatever happens, I don't intend on buying a new mp3 player for a long while (I have 2000 songs on this Dell now and it's practically every song I have ever heard. I don't even like all of them lol).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really really pleased with my ipod mini.

If you are happy with the features and price before you buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Hitman

mjq jazz bar said:
People are paying more just because the iPod is more convenient. Convenience is worth a lot.

I dont see how Ipod is so much more conveniant than Iriver.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Hitman said:

It also allows you to rip & burn CD's, convert music between file formats, tag your music (automatically, if you're connected to the Internet when you rip a CD), organize your music into manually-selected or "smart" playlists, share your playlists over a LAN, synch seamlessly with your iPod or other MP3 player, play music remotely on your stereo if you get an Airport Express base station, and connect to the iTunes Music Store. And a few other things besides.

Basically it's a single application to do everything you need to do with your music, other than downloading illegally. :)

SteveMeister said:
Basically it's a single application to do everything you need to do with your music, other than downloading illegally. :)

I don't know if it's still around, but everyone at Pitt last year used a program called myTunes where you could download other peoples iTunes music. So yes, you can even use it to illegally download music.

And I don't really have anything important to add other than I love my iPod and it's probably my favorite thing I've ever purchased (though my 15" Powerbook is right up there).

but u dont need software to transfer music onto the iriver, just drag and drop

Edit: plus u have FM tuner, built in mic, digital in and out and much longer battery life, and better sound quality

Winged Creature said:
but u dont need software to transfer music onto the iriver, just drag and drop

Edit: plus u have FM tuner, built in mic, digital in and out and much longer battery life, and better sound quality

Plus people fail to realize that there are programs other than iTunes that do very similiar things. It's not in a league of its own or some nonsense. I personally don't like the program at all, at least not on PCs.

Tortfeasor

A 20 gig Ipod will store 2x as many songs as the Iriver because the Iriver doesn't support the ACC format which rips files off CD's at about half the size of MP3 files.

Plus, the Iriver is ugly as hell :)

Tortfeasor said:
A 20 gig Ipod will store 2x as many songs as the Iriver because the Iriver doesn't support the ACC format which rips files off CD's at about half the size of MP3 files.

Plus, the Iriver is ugly as hell :)

Iriver supports more formats

MP3, OGG, WMA, ASF and more, plus they update their firmware very often, the only thing the Ipod has on the Iriver is looks. Your just getting so many more features with the iriver, it is the better choice. The reason that the Ipod is dominating the market is simple: marketing. Apple is a much larger firm then most of the other companies that make mp3 players, thus has the money to spend on alot of advertising.

iRiver is no more than a blip on the radar when up against the iPod. It may be the best at everything, but it'll never be enough to concern Apple.

john tv said:
Somebody remind me why anybody would want to buy this for this price, again?

Because it's a different market. There are a few other companies with these small, HD players and they are all around the same price/HD size. So no, Apple isn't the devil here for overpricing. They are actually probably the most cost efficient in this market.

And a little tid bit to add...

The new iPods (not mini) are apparently going to be announced next month. They are said to come in different colors and are going to be even smaller. The design is said to be similar to the Mini (I assume this probably means the track wheel on the mini will now be on the normal iPods).

bionic77

Idle Will Kill said:
Because it's a different market. There are a few other companies with these small, HD players and they are all around the same price/HD size. So no, Apple isn't the devil here for overpricing. They are actually probably the most cost efficient in this market.

And a little tid bit to add...

The new iPods (not mini) are apparently going to be announced next month. They are said to come in different colors and are going to be even smaller. The design is said to be similar to the Mini (I assume this probably means the track wheel on the mini will now be on the normal iPods).

Argh, and I just bought a 3G Ipod last month. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom