• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPod Mini Now Available in Canada (sortof)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
There's rumors about the future iPod having a color screen and being able to display digital pictures too. Maybe even WiFi support, but I personally doubt it.

Either way, I'm just gonna wait a few months...

bionic77

Winged Creature said:
yea word is most next gen HDD players are gonna have colour screens with picture support so its not only Ipod

If that is all they offer I could care less, but if Apple makes a 20G Ipod that is smaller then mine with a 20 hour battery life I will be a little peeved.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Winged Creature said:
Iriver supports more formats

MP3, OGG, WMA, ASF and more, plus they update their firmware very often, the only thing the Ipod has on the Iriver is looks. Your just getting so many more features with the iriver, it is the better choice.

More features isn't necessarily equivalent to "better choice." It's a matter of whether or not you're going to use those features. I'm thrilled - really - that the iRiver people thought enough to put ins, outs, a microphone, and an FM tuner into their device. Really. But the fact of the matter is that if I wanted to listen to the God damned radio, I wouldn't be dropping several hundred dollars on something that can hold every single CD I own, and still have room for someone else's collection. Hell, the reason I want to carry every album I own with me is that I've determined that Clearchannel has turned the FM band into a giant puddle of mediocrity. The iPod is, and not to get into a bit of melodrama, a near perfect, single-purpose device in almost every regard.

Anyway.

The iPod's selling points are firmly rooted in outstanding sound quality (for a compressed audio player, I assure you that even the iRiver isn't perfect), excellent usability (from a company that, since its inception, has been ahead of the curve), and software syncing that's the most flawless that I've ever seen (I dock the thing, iTunes and the iPod do the rest, and I can go take care of other things and not babysit the computer.)

Battery life? Yeah, it sucks, but in the span of 8 hours, I usually encounter an outlet or two so it's not the end of the world that people make it out to be.

bionic77

xsarien said:
More features isn't necessarily equivalent to "better choice." It's a matter of whether or not you're going to use those features. I'm thrilled - really - that the iRiver people thought enough to put ins, outs, a microphone, and an FM tuner into their device. Really. But the fact of the matter is that if I wanted to listen to the God damned radio, I wouldn't be dropping several hundred dollars on something that can hold every single CD I own, and still have room for someone else's collection. Hell, the reason I want to carry every album I own with me is that I've determined that Clearchannel has turned the FM band into a giant puddle of mediocrity. The iPod is, and not to get into a bit of melodrama, a near perfect, single-purpose device in almost every regard.

Anyway.

The iPod's selling points are firmly rooted in outstanding sound quality (for a compressed audio player, I assure you that even the iRiver isn't perfect), excellent usability (from a company that, since its inception, has been ahead of the curve), and software syncing that's the most flawless that I've ever seen (I dock the thing, iTunes and the iPod do the rest, and I can go take care of other things and not babysit the computer.)

Battery life? Yeah, it sucks, but in the span of 8 hours, I usually encounter an outlet or two so it's not the end of the world that people make it out to be.

Dude no matter what you say some people are always going to hate something that has Apple's name on it. Hell, I was skeptical of Ipod for such a long time for the same reason, but honestly I have to agree with you that the Ipod is pretty much perfect other then the 6-8 hours battery. Not usually a problem for me thanks to the car adapter, but I shouldn't have to spend an extra 40 bucks to add some nasty huge battery pack so I can listen to it for an entire flight. It is definitely expensive, but it is so worth it because you can now take all your music with you at all times, priceless. :D

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
xsarien said:

Anyway.

Yeh but extra feature don't hurt a player none either. The iriver has everything PLUS more.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Hitman said:
and how does this hurt the player?

It doesn't, but telling me that a player has X, Y, and Z when I only intend to use A, B, and C is like telling a soccer mom the finer points of why she should get the towing package on her SUV. It's a waste of my time, and more to the point, my limited pocket space. The iPod is miniscule, the mini even moreso. Why? Because it's a hard drive, a circuit board, a data port, and a headphone port. (The line-out, which skips the volume circuitry, is on the iPod's dock.)

That's it.

bionic77

Hitman said:
and how does this hurt the player?

It doesn't hurt the player at all, but it doesn't offer 'everything' the Ipod offers, it offers something close to what the Ipod offers plus some additional features. Most people just want their mp3 player to be as convienent and small as possible, and nothing has equaled the Ipod yet. I just hope Apple is smarter this time and doesn't keep the stuff proprietary letting other manufacturers improve on what they started.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
bionic77 said:
It doesn't hurt the player at all, but it doesn't offer 'everything' the Ipod offers, it offers something close to what the Ipod offers plus some additional features. Most people just want their mp3 player to be as convienent and small as possible, and nothing has equaled the Ipod yet. I just hope Apple is smarter this time and doesn't keep the stuff proprietary letting other manufacturers improve on what they started.

PSH. Says you. I say my iRiver is jsut as conveniant as an ipod. Plus is maybe what like half an inch difference in size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom