• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jak stat

Made Cornballer's carnitas and the saag paneer. Both were really easy, cheaper than eating out, and yummy.

Went back home and tried Indian-ized Chinese food at a new restaurant. It tasted like.... some greasy mix of Indian and Chinese food. :D

Apparently the US has caught up with Canada and started to allow importation of the best fruit ever, mangosteen. But the place I went to... they sold it for $16/lb insane! It was like $2/kg when I was in Asia last.

mangosteen.jpg

Tried making feta cheese (sorry too lazy to post pics). It came out ok, and it goes really well with watermelon. Guests love this salad:
400x600-10109-9ftbm2gcsze5ra4.jpg

BirdFlu

Banned
Thanks a bunch Onkel! I'm going out to buy the ingredients now. Hopefully I can get everything on the list.

And my oven has a 'broil' feature on it so hopefully that will work out. I'll definitely post my outcome later tonight before I start studying for these damn final exams

P.S. I'm mostly doing this for my dad since he just got his cataract surgery and hasn't been able to cook much. I hope I don't disgust him greatly ;P

ChryZ

Hey johnsenclan, that's a great looking dish. I love the idea of Cilantro-Cucumber Salsa!

BirdFlu said:
Hey guys! Just want to say I love this thread even though I never cook. But last night I came across ChryZ's chili recipe and I think I'm going to attempt it tonight. Just a few questions though:

1. What kind of flavor/texture does the beer add to the recipe? I've rarely eaten foods prepared with alcohol, especially beer, and am curious as to what it's purpose is in a chili.

2. Can anyone describe the coriander and cumin flavor to me? I've probably eaten these herbs before but for the life of me I can't think of where. The descriptions I've run into on the internet haven't helped much.

3. I don't have a broiler, so is there anyway I could blister and peel the chili skins off using say an oven or a skillet?

4. And finally is this an easy meal to make? My dad and me are absolute chili freaks but nobody around me can make a good bowl. So we've been forced to choke down Wendy's chili in some sort of sad attempt to enjoy the chili-experience

Any help would be appreciated and I will definitely post a follow-up, although I have no digicam, so I can't exactly make a great post like you guys :(
First of all relax. With chili there is no definitive version. Chili is yet another poster child of personal preference. A chili should have chili peppers and meat, the rest is up to you.

1. I like the malty flavour in my chili. No need to worry about the alcohol. It'll vaporise before the chili is done. The liquid you add should give body: stock, broth, beer, etc are all okay.

2. Cumin is kinda earthy, strong, heavy, warm, pungent, powerful, sharp and slightly bitter. Coriander seeds got a citrus undertone similar to orange peel. You should be able to get them ground and for little money. Cumin and coriander are a classic combo.Go easy on them, if you're unfamiliar with the flavours.

3. You can use the flame of a gas burner or a very hot skillet. Skinning the peppers is optional though. I like to remove the skin, because it never really dissolve while cooking and it's not very digestible. Another plus is, that the roasting brings out the sweetness of the peppers.

4. IMHO it's easy, it was one of the first dishes I tried to cook and somehow it always turned out great. It's highly tweakable and you can easily adjust it to your liking. All you need is time, there is nothing worst than a rushed chili.

Flynn

jak stat said:
Apparently the US has caught up with Canada and started to allow importation of the best fruit ever, mangosteen. But the place I went to... they sold it for $16/lb insane! It was like $2/kg when I was in Asia last.
[/img]

How do you eat those things?

My favorite obscure fruit is mamonsillo, I've only ever seen it in Miami and the Caribbean. It's a green, skinned fruit -- like a tiny mango with a small layer of meat around a large seed.

You can break the skin and pop them in your mouth -- they're about gumball sized.

My favorite way to eat them is to fill a glass with them, add water and sugar. Yum.

BirdFlu

Banned
Thanks a lot for the responses guys! I had to substitute some of the spices, as I couldn't find those specific ground peppers. I used mainly cayenne and a korean ground pepper that my mom does at home. It's still stewing right now but I'll definitely come back with after impressions

God I love the smell and how it fills up the whole house!

BirdFlu

Banned
Everything turned out great guys, thanks again!

My dad even wants me to try making a beef stew next weekend, so if anybody has any good recipes then please let me know!

tnw

Banned
Jacobi ,

No that pictures isn't mine. I don't have a digital camera right now. I might buy one pretty soon though. Looking to buy an SLR that I can do nice stuff and maybe start participating in the photography threads.

The Schinkenbrot that I bought was not from a bakery, it was just randomly at the grocery store.

I absolutely despise Japanese bakeries. Japanese love shokupan, a horrible cube of white bread cut thick like texas toast.

harunoterrace_1930_9052717

It's a cube of white bread. Just nasty. And finding proper wheat/rye bread is pretty difficult. They like putting flecks of rye or else walnuts or raisins (barf).

Kobe-ya is probably the most famous bakery that comes to mind. I never go there as I think what they sell is terrible.

http://www.kobeya.co.jp/products/index.html

One of the first things I do when I go back to the US is buy a loaf of proper pumpernickel and make a proper sandwich. :lol

ChryZ

BirdFlu said:
Everything turned out great guys, thanks again!
Excellent! You're welcome :D

BirdFlu said:
My dad even wants me to try making a beef stew next weekend, so if anybody has any good recipes then please let me know!
I'm pretty sure OnkelC or heavy liquid posted a recipe for beef stew.

OnkelC said:
johnsenclan, welcome to GAF and thanks for sharing! that looks real good, but brussels sprouts with salmon? doesn't that overpower the fish, taste-wise?
Show more of your stuff please!:)
Thanks for the welcome. I need to get into the habit of taking photos of each step, I really love how some of you have presented it. The brussel sprouts were overwhelming, it was a bad choice. Unfortunately it's all I had at the time. Here's a couple more recent ones.

Birthday cake for my son. I modified a yellow cake recipe to go along with the monkey theme and added bananas.
4 cups cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cup sugar
6 large eggs, room temperature
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 cup milk
2 soft bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a dress cake pan (or any oven-proof bowl) and a 8-inch cake pan

In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt with a wire whisk.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and mix until completely combines. Slowly add flour alternately with milk. At end of addition batter should be smooth. Once the batter is pretty smooth, add in the banana. Divide between 2 pans.

Bake the small pan for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan, then invert onto a rack and cool completely before frosting. Bake the large pan for 90 minutes.

Frost it like a monkey!
442670736_5a6bcf6547_b.jpg

And the result.
442670742_3914609fda_m.jpg

jak stat

Flynn said:
How do you eat those things?

My favorite obscure fruit is mamonsillo, I've only ever seen it in Miami and the Caribbean. It's a green, skinned fruit -- like a tiny mango with a small layer of meat around a large seed.

You can break the skin and pop them in your mouth -- they're about gumball sized.

My favorite way to eat them is to fill a glass with them, add water and sugar. Yum.
The outside is like soft soft wood. You just puncture and peel it off with your hands. Then eat the insides.

Mamonsillo sure is obscure. Google didn't even have pictures of it.

tnw said:
harunoterrace_1930_9052717

It's a cube of white bread. Just nasty. And finding proper wheat/rye bread is pretty difficult. They like putting flecks of rye or else walnuts or raisins (barf).

Kobe-ya is probably the most famous bakery that comes to mind. I never go there as I think what they sell is terrible.

http://www.kobeya.co.jp/products/index.html

One of the first things I do when I go back to the US is buy a loaf of proper pumpernickel and make a proper sandwich. :lol
Does it taste like Wonder Bread, or does it actually have some flavor? It looks so boring, if I wanted my bread to taste like cardboard, I'd buy cardboard.

Dinner last night, curry with these new potatoes I found at the grocery store. Peruvian Purples. Has anyone seen potatoes like this before? I bought them just to encourage my grocer to keep purchasing weird stuff.
470737850_3fdccaeebd.jpg

The curry was pretty simple.

Curry paste
2 cans coconut milk
Peruvian Purple Potatoes-chopped
1 small zuchinni-chopped
1 green bell pepper- chopped
handful snowpeas.
cubed tofu.

I browned the tofu and set it aside. Tossed the coconut milk and veggies (minus the peas) in a pan and simmered for 20 minutes. Added the curry paste, peas and tofu back in for 5 minutes and served it over rice.

470737854_700cd2c064.jpg

Man I love curry. The purple potatoes tasted fine, but the color wasn't as bright after they were cooked. Probably not worth the extra cost unless I was trying to freak someone out.

Flynn

jak stat said:
The outside is like soft soft wood. You just puncture and peel it off with your hands. Then eat the insides.

Mamonsillo sure is obscure. Google didn't even have pictures of it.

What is the meat like? Pretty firm as well, like a pear?

I'm guessing that momonsillo isn't the proper name for the fruit, just the slang that Cubans call it. I looked for pictures too and came up empty handed.

NomarTyme

johnsenclan said:
Thanks for the welcome. I need to get into the habit of taking photos of each step, I really love how some of you have presented it. The brussel sprouts were overwhelming, it was a bad choice. Unfortunately it's all I had at the time. Here's a couple more recent ones.

Birthday cake for my son. I modified a yellow cake recipe to go along with the monkey theme and added bananas.
4 cups cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cup sugar
6 large eggs, room temperature
3 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 cup milk
2 soft bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a dress cake pan (or any oven-proof bowl) and a 8-inch cake pan

In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt with a wire whisk.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and mix until completely combines. Slowly add flour alternately with milk. At end of addition batter should be smooth. Once the batter is pretty smooth, add in the banana. Divide between 2 pans.

Bake the small pan for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan, then invert onto a rack and cool completely before frosting. Bake the large pan for 90 minutes.

Frost it like a monkey!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/201/442670736_5a6bcf6547_b.jpg

And the result.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/442670742_3914609fda_m.jpg

LOL awwwww.

Jacobi

Banned
tnw said:
:D
Did you try Japanese specialties like Anpan and Melonpan ? And is it true that they sell Yakitate Japan franchise breads ? Or is has that fad...faded ?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
johnsenclan, thank you for sharing. I had such purple potatoes before, there is a french variant of them, too. They look interesting, but their taste doesn't justify the heavy premium over "ordinary" potatoes, though.

Keep'em coming, folks!

I finally got off my ass and made some Kung Pao Tofu. I'll post pics and recipe tomorrow or so. . .

The left overs tasted better. First day the sauce was a bit too sweet for my liking. :D

Edit: Hell, pics tonight!

kptofues6.jpg

Mmmm! :q

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Looks good indeed, thanks for your contribution. I'd like to hear about the recipe, my knowledge on Tofu is limited to "tastes like nozzing" :D

ianswoody

n217400691_30552466_9865.jpg

Borrowed the recipe from Food Network, but man were they tasty! Finally sparked an interest in cooking in me. Look for more additions this Friday!

Spicy Sausage Meatloaf Patties

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 large onion, chopped and divided
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 cup shredded carrots
Salt and pepper, for seasoning, plus coarse black pepper for finishing sauce
1/2 pound ground beef
3/4 pound bulk hot sausage
3/4 pound ground sweet sausage
1 egg
3/4 cup bread crumbs, 3 generous handfuls, Italian or plain
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano or Romano, a couple of handfuls
1/8 pound pancetta, 4 slices, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
Splash red wine
1/2 cup beef stock
1 can petite diced tomatoes or stewed tomatoes
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons hot sauce

Serving suggestion: green salad

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Heat a small skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. When the oil is hot, saute the red pepper, half the onions, celery and carrots together, 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper then remove to a plate to cool.

Mix ground beef and sausages with egg, bread crumbs, cheese, and cooled vegetables. Form 4 large oval shaped patties no more than 1 1/4 inches thick then drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Place in the oven on a cookie sheet and bake 17 to 18 minutes, until cooked through.

Heat a medium sauce pot over medium high heat. Add a drizzle of EVOO to the pan and the pancetta. Let the pancetta crisp up a bit and render fat, then add onions and garlic and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add a splash of red wine to deglaze the pan. Stir in the beef stock and tomatoes and season sauce heavily with coarse black pepper. Add Worcestershire and hot sauce and reduce heat to warm.

tnw

Banned
Jacobi said:
:D
Did you try Japanese specialties like Anpan and Melonpan ? And is it true that they sell Yakitate Japan franchise breads ? Or is has that fad...faded ?

Oh yes. Anpan and melonpan are pretty hard to avoid. I used to hate melon pan, but I've developed a taste for the orange goo filling. anpan is very tasty.

But you don't need to go to a bakery for things like that, you can get them at a convenience store. or probably better off going to a wagashi (japanese sweets) store. There's a great anpan store in ginza that has tons of different kinds of bean fillings. Or maybe that's manju....well they're not really that different anyway.

Japanese bakeries tend to have lots of wiener rolls and cold mayonnaise ham pizza. Lots of other things that only Japanese can really appreciate because they've been eating it for so long.

I have no idea what 'yakitate japan franchise breads' are.

Take out bandit that kung pao tofu looks great. only 30 minutes til I can go home and make something similar

Jacobi

Banned
Yakitate Japan is a manga/anime about breads, and they apparently sell/sold breads that characters there bake. I have the feeling that they taste horrible though.
wiki

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ianswoody, real nice dish! Looks voluptious. Thanks for sharing. What are you planning on cooking this friday?

Some real rare and good stuff from me tonight.
The wife was in Rome recently and brought me some handmade pasta from the small manufacture Setaro, based near Naples.

smallCIMG5626.jpg

Pasta from Setaro are considered the best dried pasta that can be bought today. They are quite hard to come by, so it was a pleasure to cook them. I made them with the same sage butter like sunday to have maximum pasta taste.

smallCIMG5627.jpg

smallCIMG5628.jpg

smallCIMG5629.jpg

smallCIMG5630.jpg

Enjoy (I did.)

The Take Out Bandit said:
I finally got off my ass and made some Kung Pao Tofu. I'll post pics and recipe tomorrow or so. . .

The left overs tasted better. First day the sauce was a bit too sweet for my liking. :D

Edit: Hell, pics tonight!

kptofues6.jpg

Mmmm! :q
Any tips on tofu? I usually have to cut it into pretty small pieces, otherwise I can't get anyone to eat it. How do you get good flavor in chunks that large?

OnkelC said:
Pasta from Setaro are considered the best dried pasta that can be bought today. They are quite hard to come by, so it was a pleasure to cook them. I made them with the same sage butter like sunday to have maximum pasta taste.

Enjoy (I did.)
That looks amazing.

jak stat

johnsenclan said:
Any tips on tofu? I usually have to cut it into pretty small pieces, otherwise I can't get anyone to eat it. How do you get good flavor in chunks that large?

That looks amazing.
In that case above, you could try marinating or simmering it until the flavor runs through. I'd like to fry it up first though...don't know if they did that. What do you normally make with big chunks of tofu?

The light flavor of tofu alone is good, have you tried it with simple flavorings? Heck I grew up eating tofu+salt+rice plain.

OnkelC said:
Looks good indeed, thanks for your contribution. I'd like to hear about the recipe, my knowledge on Tofu is limited to "tastes like nozzing" :D

Tofu is an acquired non-taste! :p

And I can't say I'll post the recipe, because it's not mine - so here's a link:

Wolfgang Puck's Kung Pao Chicken

Only step here is:

- Subtract the chicken.
- Add 1 can of water chestnuts.
- Add more dried chilis!

The tofu is prepared abura age style (deep fried tofu).

The tofu I buy comes in four squares. About two inches square, and one inch thick.

First dry out the tofu. Wrap the cake in paper towels or a kitchen towel. Set it aside and put some weight on it. Not too much to smash it, but a plate or four should be enough weight. After about 30 minutes or longer, the tofu should have enough moisture pressed out of it.

Slice the tofu cake into quarters and then slice those quarters into triangles.

Then deep fry it in canola oil until golden brown. Once browned, let the triangles cool on a dry towel. After they've cooled, put them in a strainer and run hot water over them for a while. I use an electric kettle and boil at least four pots of water to run over the fried tofu.

As I understand it this washes most of the oil out of the fried tofu. Which is why tofu = AWESOME!

I've read you can boil it, but I haven't tried that yet.

Once your tofu is ready, then follow the Puck recipe with my tweaks and there ya go! :D

I'm still learning myself. I use it in miso soup and this is my first attempt at a real dish with it. This used the marinade from the linked recipe, but there are other means of seasoning tofu you can find on-line.

made pad thai tonight based on this recipe HERE.

472951885_bc933fd72e.jpg

rookie mistake: noodles were undercooked...but all in all, a very good first try. looking forward to building on my repertoire of "standards" that i enjoy eating and making.

tnw

Banned
Tofu is an acquired non-taste! :p.

good choice on adding the water chestnuts. They look tasty.

I think westerners tend to prefer the more firm tofu, so I would try starting with that.

Hiyayakko, which is basically fresh tofu with some green onions, ginger, and soy sauce (and katasuobushi (fish flakes) if you aren't vegetarian and like the taste) is one of my favorite tofu dishes. This is the best way to eat very good tofu.

hiyayako.jpg

I used tofu in my Tom Yan kun soup last night, it's a great simmering food because all the great flavor of what it's being cooked in gets in the tofu. I added a little japanese eggplant to it, which also such a great simmering food. It's such a tasty combination of flavors, the whole thing. I add a little mizuna, a bitter green, to the bottom of the bowl, and the warm soup cooks in just enough while still a little crunchy.

Yakidofu, grilled tofu, is also very tasty.

d41.jpg

One of my favorite tofu based foods is Fresh Yuba. It made from the skin of the soy milk used to make tofu.

side_28.jpg

sspeedy

I'm really hungry now... thanks GAF :lol
great thread though.

oh, i love mangos! but not just any store-bought mango (ones at walmart are just not good).

I think more Americans would love tofu if they tried it.

I like it because it's versatile and fun, but more important - depending on how it's prepared it can have a multitude of textures.

I just need to find a way to make a tofu snack, abura age is practically a healthy Twinkie! :p

I'll have to try grilled tofu.

The natural food market I worked at had a vegan food menu and one of their items was meatless ribs; which was tofu dolled up like a rib with a potato wedge for the bone. Definitely not a good baby back rib; but an interesting diversion. :D

tnw

Banned
you (pleasantly) suprise me take out bandit. I kind of pictured you as this cheetos 'n' mountain dew fer breakfast, **** off rest of the world type.

please post more in IronGAF :)

I also think that people avoid tofu because of the unqualified bad reputation it has received. Natto has a similar reputation I think.

The sad thing is, The United States is the world's top soy producer.

Almost all of that soy just goes to cattle feed. :(

Someday, America will run its cars with corn, and eat its own soybeans. I hope so anyway.

That meatless rib sounds interesting. The food co-op I worked at had this awesome kung pao tofu. Pressed really really thin and firm, with tons of blackened seasoning on it.

Jak Stat, have you found the awesome food co-op in town? Maybe not awesome, but I thought it was pretty good. My friend lived like 100 meters from it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
YOUR ASSIGNMENT FOR THE WEEKEND:
GO AND GRILL SOME STUFF!!!

Since the weather is summer-like in this part of the world, I’ll start the BBQ season this Saturday. Do the same and post all your BBQ-related recipes, pictures, beverages, you name it.
Share the love and the smoke, please.

jak stat

tnw said:
Jak Stat, have you found the awesome food co-op in town? Maybe not awesome, but I thought it was pretty good. My friend lived like 100 meters from it.
Considering how it's the only grocery store in town, yes I've found it. Over here, I miss the Korean/Taiwanese/Vietnamese bakeries.

This is 곰보빵, supposedly it has peanut butter in it, but you can hardly taste it. Soft bread topped with a soft crunchy nutty topping. Like Mexican pan dulce, but way way better.
betty4174531zbxlwlgprc2.jpg

OnkelC-I've been making your currywurst! It was, um, interesting. Since it's so easy and it fulfills my weird cravings for curry and ketchup, I often make it before quizzes.

We had a Korean food night--I'll post pics sooner or later.

jak stat

OnkelC said:
jak stat, Currywurst isn't exactly haute cuisine, but that makes it awesome!!!:lol
My classmate is willing to teach me how to make gyros--but we can call it doner kebab instead. eich bin ein berliner

Fruity ass sweet cheese / farmer's cheese / cottage cheese pierogis!

I don't make my own pierogi, sorry - I buy them from the local purveyor of pierogis passed down from generation to generation. Unfortunately they'll soon be gone thanks to impotent leaders, the rise in crime, crack dealers, thug culture, and the general ghettoization of this once great community.

F*ck that Mrs. T bullshit!

Step 1. Boil your pierogi! This takes about four minutes for frozen.

Once done, drain them and set them aside:

dscn1873tz8.jpg

Step 2. Was your bluberries and strawberries and get ready to slice your strawberries.

dscn1874ep6.jpg

Done:

dscn1875dg5.jpg

Step 3. Fry the pierogi!

dscn1876pf2.jpg

I like mine with a light fried crust on them, you can cook them until golden brown; or even deep fry them if you have the means.

dscn1877du1.jpg

Once they're done, remove them from the pan and turn the heat on medium / low.

Step 4. Heat one cube of butter and two tablespoons of sugar into a nice sugary booger.

dscn1878gd2.jpg

dscn1879wq9.jpg

dscn1880ld9.jpg

Step 5. Add fruits to sugar booger. Stir to distribute sugar mixture, and cover your fruits.

dscn1881ko0.jpg

Once it's done, pour it over your pierogi and enjoy!

dscn1882gx2.jpg

dscn1883yk8.jpg

dscn1884uw9.jpg

This isn't such a good option if you like those safe potato / American cheese pierogi. :p

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Bandit, looking good! A nice idea with the caramelized fruits as a company to the dish. I only knew of Pierogi filled with mincemeat so far. Thanks for sharing.

Same for you, smirkrevenge. Your pic puts mine to shame!:lol

Keep'em coming, folks.

OnkelC said:
Bandit, looking good! A nice idea with the caramelized fruits as a company to the dish. I only knew of Pierogi filled with mincemeat so far. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, as a child my family would serve them with maple syrup; which isn't bad, but isn't as appetizing and just strikes me as overall less appealing.

Mincemeat?! yoinks - what do you serve them with?

Potato and Potato/Cheese are good with sour cream and sauteed onions.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Mincemeat?! yoinks - what do you serve them with?

Pierogis filled with mincemeat are usually served with sour cream or breadcrumbs roasted in butter. It's quite tasty, too.

GameCat

A really simple dish i made last night: roast chicken and veg

mat002_xs.jpg

You mix fresh herbs (I used thyme), 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic and grated lemon peel with around 100-120 grams of butter per chicken. Normally I also add some prosciutto or serrano ham but our guests don't eat pork so I skipped it this time.

Add salt and pepper and carefully stuff the butter underneath the skin of the chicken. If you make a small hole by the chest bone you can stick your fingers in there and carefully separate the skin so you can get the butter underneath it. If there's any butter left, smear it on the outside of the chicken.

Now chop a lemon in half (or quarters, depending on how big it is) and stick it inside the chicken. Put the chicken in the oven at around 220 C for 10 minutes.

While the chicken is cooking you chop the veg. I used beetroot, parsnip, carrots, onions and potatoes but you can use anything you like really. Small pieces you don't have to chop, just the bigger ones so they get cooked properly. I also added around 10 cloves of garlic, whole pieces with the peel and everything. I just slightly crush them with my hands and then throw em in there.

When the chicken has been in for 10 minutes, take it out and lift it out of the pan. Pour the vegetables in there and pour some olive oil on them. If you used lots of butter for the chicken you might not need any oil. Season with more fresh herbs (I used marjoram), salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar. Flip everything over a couple of times so the vegetables get coated evenly.

Now just put the chicken on top and put everything in the oven for around 40 minutes more and you're done.

Tasty and easy.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
GameCat, awesome! I like the idea of filling the chicken with lemons, must be a real juicy result. Thank you for sharing, I hope that won't be the last one from you.:)

Tonight I made Ginger and Garlic Stir-Fry Chicken with Bok Choy

It's a pretty quick and easy dish both to prepare and cook.

INGREDIENTS

Marinade for the chicken:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 cup water
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts , trimmed of excess fat , and prepared according to illustrations below
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour

Combine soy sauce, sherry, and water in medium bowl; add chicken and stir to break up clumps. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.

Stir-Fry
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger (from 1 1/2-inch piece)
1 medium clove garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
peanut oil or vegetable oil
1 small head bok choy (about 1 pound), stalks and greens separated, stalks cut on bias into 1/4-inch slices and greens cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 small red bell pepper , cut into 1/4-inch strips

Mix sesame oil, cornstarch, and flour in medium bowl until smooth. Drain chicken in strainer; press out excess liquid. Toss chicken in cornstarch/flour mixture until evenly coated.

Whisk broth, sherry, soy, oyster-flavored sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch, sugar, pepper flakes, and 2 teaspoons ginger in small bowl; set aside. Combine remaining 2 teaspoons ginger, garlic, and 1 teaspoon peanut oil in small bowl; set aside.

Heat 2 teaspoons peanut oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking; add half of chicken to skillet in flat, even layer. Cook, without stirring, but gently separating pieces, until golden brown on first side, about 1 minute; turn chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned on second side, about 30 seconds. Transfer chicken to clean bowl. Repeat with additional 2 teaspoons peanut oil and remaining chicken.

Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil to now-empty skillet; heat until just smoking. Add bok choy stalks and red bell pepper; stir-fry until beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Push vegetables to sides of skillet to clear center; add garlic/ginger mixture to clearing and cook, mashing mixture with spoon, until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds, then stir mixture into stalks and continue to cook until stalks are tender-crisp, about 30 seconds longer. Stir in bok choy greens and cook until beginning to wilt, about 30 seconds; return chicken to skillet. Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet; reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked through, about 30 seconds. Done!

P1010004-3.jpg

P1010005-1.jpg

Sorry there are no prep pics and that I haven't posted in a while.
Things have been pretty crazy for the past month or so, ending with this little guy who was born last Wednesday night:

P1010029-3.jpg

Yep, I'm a daddy now... :) His name is Liam.

Maybe now I can finally finish my herb garden. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom