• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to make a sort of Mexican chii that will taste good in tacos, any idea how to modify a basic chili to make it more appropriate for tacos. Gonna be making the chili in a slow cooker.

I would think it's mostly going to be about moisture control. Think about how you can reduce it without overcooking or burning.

thespot84

My gf and I were tasked with recreating a dish from noma (a 2 michelin star restaurant) for a dinner party, so we went with the easiest we could find, asparagus with tender spruce.

XUg5dnu.jpg

It came out quite good. The pine was present but not overpowering the oil/vinegar infusions were not too difficult, but I do not recommend cooking with pine or spruce needles, unless you have minions that will trim the needles for you (you can't just pull them off like rosemary). There was even foraging involved (in my front yard).

If you're looking for something off the beaten path, you can find the recipe book at a local library. It's a fun read just to see how crazy the stuff is.

Question for the resident chefs:
OK if I make Vol. 2 of this humble thread since it's nearing the post limit?
I was just stopping by to let everyone here know that a new thread is needed soon. I don't post in this thread any more, but I think it'd be great if you made the new one, Onkel.

Zyzyxxz

My gf and I were tasked with recreating a dish from noma (a 2 michelin star restaurant) for a dinner party, so we went with the easiest we could find, asparagus with tender spruce.

If you're looking for something off the beaten path, you can find the recipe book at a local library. It's a fun read just to see how crazy the stuff is.

That sounds like a fun dinner party (mine usually involve me doing all the cooking and cleaning up bleh)

Question for the resident chefs:
OK if I make Vol. 2 of this humble thread since it's nearing the post limit?

Definitely yes!

Migrated into a coworkers home until me and Horse Detective's apartment is available on June 1st.

I finally have a kitchen to cook in again! :)

Made pan-seared cod with goat cheese & sundried tomato ravioli in a three cheese red sauce the other night. I think next time I'm going to go for a nice branzino instead. Cod is good but Its not my favorite fish.

11195704_359965247536562_1258290360_n.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Migrated into a coworkers home until me and Horse Detective's apartment is available on June 1st.

I finally have a kitchen to cook in again! :)

Made pan-seared cod with goat cheese & sundried tomato ravioli in a three cheese red sauce the other night. I think next time I'm going to go for a nice branzino instead. Cod is good but Its not my favorite fish.

11195704_359965247536562_1258290360_n.jpg

Mackerel goes really well with tomatoes especially if you do a pasta puttanesca.

zbarron

Garden Update 3:
We finally have sprouts. Arugula came up first. A few others seem to be following suit. The weather was cold last week and I feel I may have been under watering the garden. Now it finally feels like Spring and I have been watering a lot more. I also added the ash from the Stubbs charcoal. A lot of people don't recommend charcoal ash but since Stubbs is just hard wood and vegetable binder I figured it should be fine. The next day I saw a this.
17315999741_8b70f2fcfe_h.jpg

Those are the four planting spots in one of the sixteen square feet. I have to prune down until there is only one per spot but I want to see if any seem to be stronger than the surrounding neighbors.

Looking forward to the new thread.

Yes Boss!

Made another batch of kimchi. This one is korean daikon and those huge-ass korean scallions.

Day zero and ready to start fermenting...will be ripe by tomorrow...super pungent:

D21752D6-9C8B-4808-916F-3F7406B678F5_zpsdwkx3irx.jpg

Chopped daikon:

24B7861A-8430-499B-9423-34F22FFDE911_zpsldzj7vw7.jpg

Gorgeous korean salt added, and pickling for two hours:

7F5BF1FE-9064-4DD6-8BAD-7C0365252C80_zpskfcgnqch.jpg

Onions cut, roughly:

4CB41E9D-4236-4336-A5A0-0157EAE00DCA_zpspbnbofgf.jpg

Three parts ready for mix:

7F8F44BC-F1DD-488A-8805-FDC42E9516F2_zpscg2drx4f.jpg

Mixed and ready for the pot:

3BC576BE-646B-439B-9B7C-027093B3526C_zpsqpahxvr0.jpg

I completed my three day course for buttery flaky pastries and poundcakes from the French Pastry School ! It was a $600 course I was offered by the dean to take for free to see if I was certain I wanted to attend school here in July. I was accepted into the school last week and this class really fueled the fire for what I want to do for the rest of my life. Time to share what I made ! (I'll take better pics as I eat more :p)

Certificate from attendance :)

11154796_10205196844454642_1020579575892317387_o.jpg

Almond cream Pithivier I made !

11182777_10205196844654647_174919227935829071_o.jpg

Everything we made as a class (that is currently hanging out in my fridge ):

11167958_10205196844734649_588181075466343413_o.jpg

11187809_10205196844814651_6566462057656728399_o.jpg

11212675_10205196844774650_1418891520935297417_o.jpg

My apple tart and spinach & feta bechamel tart after coming out the oven :

11050150_10205196844694648_7915201866846000382_o.jpg

There is an exact list for everything shown but I don't know if anyone really wanted me to list it out so I figured I'd just show it then if anyone was curious, I could share recipes and talk about it. :)

tirminyl

Garden Update:

Here is the garden I described last post. I see two seedlings popping out today though I'm not sure if they are weeds or vegetables. I'll let them get a bit bigger until I can tell.

I believe both of these are pea areas so give seedling 2 a higher chance of actually being a pea. We will see if I am right. This is my first time gardening. Note that a lot of the green shit you see in the garden was dropped in from the top. We've had 40mph winds.

Nice! I would love to do the same. The bed looks good.

I haven't been cooking much but I am starting back. I had a co-worker here from Thailand for about two months so his mom cooked food and we ate out. I did grab a few pics to share.

Thailand co-workers Mom cooking:

Rice Soup. Served to me for breakfast. It was tasty!

Mama thai noodles (think like Ramen but better) with pork, cabbage, peppers and egg. Effing delicious!

Some other noodle dish with pork. They loved pork.

Homemade Vietnamese Sushi with peanut sauce. OMFGWTFBBQ.

Homemade fried rice

Two different tomato soups. Did NOT taste like tomato soup. Was effing good!

Caramel Ginger Pork with Rice and a Potato Pork Soup. That ginger pork was something else! She would not give me her recipe :-(

Tempura battered bananas and strawberries

My co-worker and his mom are back in Thailand which means I have to once again cook for myself :-(

That Thai cooking looks amazing. As does the kimchi. I keep trying to convince my brother and brother-in-law to marry girls from Korea, India, or Thailand, for my own selfish culinary benefit. Ah well.

Pastries look great, too, Bento, nice work, and good luck.

HiResDes

Tried to make a quiche, like Onkel, but I had two problems... I couldn't find his recipe for the dough so I used one online and it came out so dense and thin, didn't really rise at all. Also I thought the egg mixture would also be fluffier, but it was thin as well. The pan might have just been too big. I'm not sure, the actual stuffing tasted great though, I added a bit of fresh parsley to Onkels mixture, but it didn't need anything really.

zbarron

I made my first creme brulee tonight. Probably my first custard too. The creme set perfectly, but I do not own a torch and the brulee part was less successful. I made two. The first one with raw sugar bubbled but didn't brown. I figured I'd try white sugar with the other. The same thing happened so I added more sugar and this was as close as I could get:
16714974824_dd993a1618_b.jpg

I think it tasted amazing and was a very easy dessert. I just want a real torch for next time and to find a better/cheaper source of heavy whipping cream. I can't find it in containers larger than a pint and the price is more than I'd like.

I made my first creme brulee tonight. Probably my first custard too. The creme set perfectly, but I do not own a torch and the brulee part was less successful. I made two. The first one with raw sugar bubbled but didn't brown. I figured I'd try white sugar with the other. The same thing happened so I added more sugar and this was as close as I could get:
16714974824_dd993a1618_b.jpg

I think it tasted amazing and was a very easy dessert. I just want a real torch for next time and to find a better/cheaper source of heavy whipping cream. I can't find it in containers larger than a pint and the price is more than I'd like.

You can definitely brown your sugar without a torch. Use this guide to help you out. I've found it very useful :)

zbarron

You can definitely brown your sugar without a torch. Use this guide to help you out. I've found it very useful :)

Thanks. The one pictured was actually done using our gas broiler. I put the ramekin in a baking dish full of ice water so the custard itself wouldn't get too hot while I tried to brown the surface. I see that I did not dry the top. That was not part of the instructions I was using but I should have known given my experience that you can't sear wet meat.

Hopefully next time I make this I will have a torch. It just seems faster, easier and I have other uses for one, like setting things on fire.

Dynedom

Ate at Sergi Arola's new restaurant in Abu Dhabi last night and the food was fantastic. We ate at Arola in Barcelona 2 years ago and my parents ate at his 2 michelin star place in Madrid 3 weeks ago and said it was amazing.

I love Spanish food. Monkfish is like the best thing but seems really tricky to cook.

zbarron

I finally got a giant spray bottle like they have at county fair fry stands. I filled it with malt vinegar and made some fresh cut fries.

17341347492_af24e55775_b.jpg

Life is good.

Zyzyxxz

Ate at Sergi Arola's new restaurant in Abu Dhabi last night and the food was fantastic. We ate at Arola in Barcelona 2 years ago and my parents ate at his 2 michelin star place in Madrid 3 weeks ago and said it was amazing.

I love Spanish food. Monkfish is like the best thing but seems really tricky to cook.

Monkfish almost cooks like meat, but too bad its overfished or else I'd eat it way more often including its liver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom