• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is an "American Taco" even really a taco?

Is an American can taco even really a taco?

• Yes

• No

• You're going to hell

• I hope your abusive ex wife thabs you

Results are only viewable after voting.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
For the sake of argument I'm referring to the typical hard shell, ground beef, yellow cheese type ypipo eat. I say no apart from the corn in the shell the ingredients are completely different. Ground beef isn't typically used in Mexican tacos neither are tomatoes, lettuce or yellow cheese. So I vote NO at best it's a U shaped tostada with fillings readily available to Americans.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Sure it is. It’s an American taco.

And it’s delicious.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Sure, of course the hard shell corn tortilla chip taco is legit.

Just like ramen is just a version of spaghetti, a hot pocket is just a calzone, and a sludge-like puddle of beans and tofu is a burger!

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I think tacos are as flexible as pizza. You really just need the shell, or in pizza's case the crust. Literally everything else can be radically customized. There's tons of artisan hipster tacos, vegetarian tacos, BBQ duck, fish, literally anything. Just like pizza, which can basically have anything on it.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Sure, of course the hard shell corn tortilla chip taco is legit.

Just like ramen is just a version of spaghetti, a hot pocket is just a calzone, and a sludge-like puddle of beans and tofu is a burger!
Not to get into semantics but ramen isn't called spaghetti therein lies the crux of my "taco" problem.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I've had both kinds. It's definitely a taco. American version. Tasty as all get out

I like the Mexican versions you can dip too.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Just call it an American taco.

Pretty sure Mexican immigrants invented them anyways.

They are tasty, getting bent out of shape over stuff like this is silly to me.

Muffdraul

I've loved Jack In the Box tacos since I was a little kid, but growing up in SoCal and having access to so many taquerias where they have the real deal, I stopped think of JItB tacos as "actual tacos" a very long time ago. I see them as some sort of weird futuristic meta-food, like Soylent Green. Still tasty tho

Mossybrew

Sure. Hard shell "American style" tacos are good, traditional Mexican soft tacos are good too. You can enjoy both and they are both tacos. Case closed.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I bet barely any of you have had a real Mexican taco. They are drab with no salt. It's basically a poor persons meal when they have nothing else.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I bet barely any of you have had a real Mexican taco. They are drab with no salt. It's basically a poor persons meal when they have nothing else.
Sprinkle some cotija, there is your salt.

Or just like… the meat lol

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I heard that Taco Bell won the franchise wars. So it must be good.
Their beer tastes like sand and their food makes me shit fire, but at least it's cheap and tasty (the food).

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Tacos don't come in a u shaped tostada with yellow cheese, ground beef and tomatoes

So you're telling me ingredients differentiate whether something is ramen or spaghetti? Interesting 🤔
Of course ingredients differentiate, but you have to draw the line somewhere or you'd need a new word for literally any variation in ingredients. To me, it's a totally different category when you're getting a bowl of liquid. Ramen is basically a soup with noodles in it. It's not served on a plate even.

You're too fixated on just the plain hardshell taco. As I said it's turned into one of the most experimental and fluid types of food there is, only matched by pizza and it's crazy array of toppings and sauce options. Of all the types of food to be a stickler on the ingredients, tacos make less sense than almost anything since you can make it with virtually any ingredients. I guess we could call it a chip with stuffing if you want.

Mossybrew

You're too fixated on just the plain hardshell taco.
Also to be fair the hardshell taco has been incorporated by a lot of Mexican food places, from experience there are several Mexican run shops around town that offer a hard shell chicken taco. The ground beef more than anything else is very American/Taco Bell style, I've never seen an actual taco shop offer ground beef as a meat option.

Muffdraul

Believe it or not there are some actual Mexicans who actually live in Mexico who aren't poor and can afford to make them a little more fancy than that.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Believe it or not there are some actual Mexicans who actually live in Mexico who aren't poor and can afford to make them a little more fancy than that.
I mean yeah you can fancy up a peanut butter sandwich to if you want. I just hate the whole " it's not authentic!" Bs people spout when they are trying to be better than everyone else. " oh AMERICAN tacos.. nenernerner.. ".

I basically live in a Mexico for 5 years going back and forth for work. If you have money you don't eat tacos. They don't even give tacos to factory workers and they must get 2 meals a day.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I mean yeah you can fancy up a peanut butter sandwich to if you want. I just hate the whole " it's not authentic!" Bs people spout when they are trying to be better than everyone else. " oh AMERICAN tacos.. nenernerner.. ".

I basically live in a Mexico for 5 years going back and forth for work. If you have money you don't eat tacos. They don't even give tacos to factory workers and they must get 2 meals a day.
I don't even know what you're arguing but most Mexicans loves tacos as much as Americans love mayonnaise sandwiches.

Kabelly

the thing is, a hot, fresh flour torilla will beat out a hard shell for me. at that point i might as well eat nachos. shit is gonna fall apart into pieces anyways

Last edited:

HoodWinked

does 🌮 emoji look like....

CrunchyTaco.jpg
OR
800px-001_Tacos_de_carnitas%2C_carne_asada_y_al_pastor.jpg

American taco is the default.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
My Guatemalan friend made us chicken tacos with soft tortillas that she filled and then fried in a pan causing them to become crispy. Is that not auténtico?
Yes those are authentic they are called "tacos dorados" translates to golden tacos my mom makes those sometimes. You're right those are crispy instead of crunchy and don't fall apart as easily.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It’s a Taco, different type of Taco sure, but it’s a version of it. Arguing otherwise is the same sort of insanity that some Italians have to Pizza or Cabonara outside of authentic Italian styles.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
bitch you made me hungry for tacos tonight

ssringo

All I know is the lack of Chili Cheese burritos in my area annoys me and I hate Taco Bell for not mandating they be at every location.

I had a hot ass mexican girlfriend in high school.

One night after phone sex i tell her i want to put my sour cream on her taco. She had an orgasm every time.

Instead of talking dirty to her I just talked about food.

Top Bottom