• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Denzel the greatest American actor of the 20th century?

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
No that's Samuel L Jackson

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Tell Pulp Fiction GIF

Watching You Samuel L Jackson GIF

angry black snake moan GIF

samuel l jackson idgaf GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Samuel L Jackson Movie GIF by Star Wars

django unchained calvin candie GIF

So many memorable roles he played

With actors like Tom Hanks being able to do a one man show (Cast Away) he is not really even in contention for the title. Also, 1901-2000 saw thousands of actors at the top of their games. Denzel does not even have a single great film he participated in.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve never given it much thought, but honestly I think Hanks might be the goat. I was thinking of watching Captain Phillips today, too.

What are the qualifiers? What makes someone the greatest? Most widespread exposure to acting talent ratio? Most range? Most screen presence? Most awards nominations? Most popular? Starring in most hit films and outchewing everyone else?

Denzel certainly has most of those things. You can make an argument for it for the 20 years between 1990 and 2010 or so, when he was most active. Beyond that there's too much competition.

Whoa Keanu reeves would like a word.
Canadian Thank You GIF by NETFLIX

Canadian Thumbs Up GIF

Keanu Reeves Cyberpunk GIF

bullshit bull GIF
Keanu reeves is a joke of an actor. He is however, one of the greatest movie stars ever. Big difference.
For me it's Daniel Day-Lewis
If we're talking English actors Gary Oldman deserves mention. He doesn't have those few key megaton performances like DDL but given the large amount of movies he's done and consistently acted with such wide range in, he's one hell of an actor.

Billbofet

I think Denzel is essentially the same character in almost everything he does.
That said, he is my very favorite actor, and nobody can do or bring what he delivers.

I feel the exact same way about Morgan Freeman.

dsp

were are my Seymour Hofman stans at?

tumblr_mjtp0hRcjD1qgt6uyo1_500.gif

The Master is the funniest film I've ever seen. Brilliantly hilarious and Seymour is fantastic in it.

Now I'm trying to think of who I think the greatest actor of the 20th century is... I don't even know. I think Ian Holm is probably the most underrated actor but I wouldn't say best. Ian McKellen is up there. I did see a clip of Olivier doing Shakespeare and I see how brilliant the man is in just a short clip. Floored me. I don't think there is anyone who can give a ranting speech like Pacino can.

I think the real answer is quite obvious though. It's Paul F. Tompkins as an extra in There Will Be Blood.

CraGrGH.png

MrA

20th century English, alec guinness, no question, Christopher "knows the sound of a man being stabbed in the back" Lee at number 2
American clearly it's Steve McQueen

Nah just kidding
It's Raul Julia, he can take a train like street fighter and make every moment he's on screen awesome

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
I’d argue Leonardo DiCaprio is the best American actor working today and I don’t think it’s very close. He’s not as active as some others but he has more range. To me, he’s the American equivalent of Daniel Day Lewis.

Denzel is on a very short list of actors where if they are in a movie, I’m automatically going to see it.

His IMDB list is just all great movies.

Did anyone here ever see Fallen? If you haven’t, get some popcorn and turn off the lights. You’re welcome.

It’s caught my eye on streaming several times, but I never actually watched it. I’m gonna check it out this week.

T8SC

Now that I've slept and read the title properly:

36f855be2c987957da5d246fb95c842c.gif

From comedies and light hearted roles in Big, Splash, Turner & Hooch, The Burbs & Dragnet to more serious movies such as Philadelphia, Forrest Gump & Captain Philips. Also able to turn his hand to an action role in Saving Private Ryan, romance with Sleepless In Seattle, voice role such as Woody in Toy Story and able to hold the movie all on his own in Cast Away. Throw in other great performances like Apollo 13, A League Of Their Own, Sully & The Green Mile.
I think Hanks has to be in consideration for the variety and quality of his performances.

Top Bottom