• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it bad to eat medium-rare/rare steak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuccoo

Whenever I eat out with my parents, they always make me eat well done meat. Ofcourse I didnt like it because medium-rare taste so much better. According to them, I can get germs from those half cooked meat. So, what you guys think? Anyone knows any article or stats that discuss this issue?

border

Just order it medium. If you are going to eat it well-done, then you might as well just order a hamburger.

cuccoo said:
Whenever I eat out with my parents, they always make me eat well done meat. Ofcourse I didnt like it because medium-rare taste so much better. According to them, I can get germs from those half cooked meat. So, what you guys think? Anyone knows any article or stats that discuss this issue?

No, that's only for hambergers, where the meat is ground up and mixed. With steaks, as long as the outer layer is fully cooked, you shouldbe fine. I like my steak rare.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Haha..."germs"...
It's perfectly safe if the meat is of good quality and was handled correctly.
Some people even eat raw beef.

I think your parents may be getting it confused with hamburger meat - which definitely does need to be cooked all the way through (harmful bacteria can grow on the 'outside' of meat; so you can eat beef safely as long as it's at least a little cooked - but since ground beef is made up of bits of meat, possibly meat from the 'outsides', you need to cook it through).

shoplifter

Medium rare, on the rare side is the fucking bomb.

How old are you anyway? Eat your steak how you want it. Well done steak is like eating a piece of wood.

mattx5

I work at McDonald's, the other day some guy came back to us with a grilled chicken burger that was still fucking pink, clear and cold in the middle. Shit did the kitchen guys ever catch hell for that one....

Like everyone else said, steak and hamburgers are two different things, but at least your parents are looking out for you I guess.....

cuccoo

i'm 20, but i still meet my parents once in a while. i usually eat the way I like it but when i'm with my parents, I just dont like arguing with them. so, i just do as they say. i tried to explain to them in the past but didnt work too well. they said even if i dont get sick now, the germ will still be inside and lie dormant for a while. anyway, their point is that its bad in the long term.... i think they are too paranoid.

mattx5

cuccoo said:
they said even if i dont get sick now, the germ will still be inside and lie dormant for a while. anyway, their point is that its bad in the long term.... i think they are too paranoid.

I dunno where your parents would've heard something like that.

But unless you're eating steaks made from egg laying alien creatures, I think you should be good in the long run.

Ecrofirt

if eating a juicy purple rare steak is wrong, I don't want to be right.
_juicyRareSteak.jpg
yum.

Ecrofirt said:
if eating a juicy purple rare steak is wrong, I don't want to be right.
just think of that nice hormone injected slab of beef rolling that bun over or picking up those potatoes and carrots and looking you dead in the eye and well....
cow.gif

maharg

idspispopd
Dark Kinght Bunny said:
just think of that nice hormone injected slab of beef rolling that bun over or picking up those potatoes and carrots and looking you dead in the eye and well....
cow.gif

CARROTS HAVE FEELINGS TOO YOU KNOW

Oh and steak rareness-level elitists suck.

aparisi2274

cuccoo said:

I always get medium. Its like a nice pink in the middle and it tastes good. Fuck that well done shit. That tastes like ass.

Nikashi

Banned
When you order a well done steak, you are guaranteeing you're getting a shitty piece of meat. Why would the chef/cooks waste a good cut of meat when you're asking for a hockey puck anyways?

teiresias

That's the most disgusting looking steak I've ever seen! Ick, nasty.

Granted, I don't eat much steak, but when I do it's at least cooked to medium or medium-well.

davis

Eveything seems to be bad for you anyway , have them take you Peter Luger's steak house if you haven't been and try medium, best steak ever. Just don't forget to bring a lot of cash.

Medium is about perfect for me. Pink in the middle, a little bit of juice... mmmm.... ^_^

Most good steakhouses can't guarantee the quality of their steaks beyond medium anyway.

I don't like rare/medium steak. The blood flavor doesn't work for me, though a very slightly rare steak ain't bad. I like mine medium where the steak is still juicy, but the juice is clear colored.

ChrisReid

El Papa said:
medium-well or well done.

Yeah, medium well is fine. I love steak, but I honestly can't tell the difference. I've had the cheap $10 steaks and the nicer $30 steaks. Medium rare or well done, I can't really tell much of a difference. It's to the point where I get the cheapest steak on the menu and just add pepper/ketchup/soy sauce. Maybe I have broken taste buds or something.

FnordChan

Raoul Duke said:
It's bad to eat steak at all, never mind if it's medium-rare/rare.

Red meat isn't bad for you - it's the green, fuzzy meat you've gotta watch out for.

FnordChan, medium-rare

ced

Matlock said:
I don't know why people hate well-done meat. I like the charred flavor...and the fact it just all feels right.

I concur. Unless your being sarcastic.

I love the taste of a well done steak, not crunchy well done but brown all the way through.

ballhog

lightly charred on the outside, and as raw as possible, for good steak anyway. Really depends on the cut, but never more than medium rare.

mattx5 said:
I work at McDonald's, the other day some guy came back to us with a grilled chicken burger that was still fucking pink, clear and cold in the middle. Shit did the kitchen guys ever catch hell for that one....

Like everyone else said, steak and hamburgers are two different things, but at least your parents are looking out for you I guess.....
I had the same thing happen at checkers. Fucking disgusting.

cuccoo

well since this turns out to be "how'd you like your steak cooked?" thread, I'll post mine as well.

medium-rare

human5892

Queen of Denmark
ChrisReid said:
Yeah, medium well is fine. I love steak, but I honestly can't tell the difference. I've had the cheap $10 steaks and the nicer $30 steaks. Medium rare or well done, I can't really tell much of a difference. It's to the point where I get the cheapest steak on the menu and just add pepper/ketchup/soy sauce. Maybe I have broken taste buds or something.
I'm the same way. Supermarket steak or a $40 slab -- it makes very little difference to me. The only thing I pick up on is that the more expensive stuff is usually more tender, which I like. I'm no chef, but it seems to me that it's more in how it's cooked and what spices are added and whatnot.

Medium-well.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I went to dinner with some friends once and one woman ordered a well done filet... the waiter just said, "no, we can't do that." What a great scene that was. Chef gave her a lecture and everything.

CaptainABAB

medium-rare here as well.

Also, if you get Grilled Tuna, please please please don't get it more then medium rare.

Otherwise, you're just ignant

Actually I think medium rare, or rare, is safer to eat then well done. Because when the steak is cooked for a long time, cancer inducing chemicals are formed in the meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom