• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it bad to eat medium-rare/rare steak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I cook my steaks Medium, but I hate buying any steak at a restaurant. They don't give individual cuts the attention they need.

Meat that's cooked through doesn't mean it has to be any less "juicy" or flavorful than a bloody cut. It's all in the process: High heat, covered grill, 5 to 7 minutes a side for 1/2 inch of thickness, only turn the bitch once using spring-loaded tongs, and no piercing to let liquids escape.

8bit

Knows the Score
Goreomedy said:
I cook my steaks Medium, but I hate buying any steak at a restaurant. They don't give individual cuts the attention they need.

Meat that's cooked through doesn't mean it has to be any less "juicy" or flavorful than a bloody cut. It's all in the process: High heat, covered grill, 5 to 7 minutes a side for 1/2 inch of thickness, only turn the bitch once using spring-loaded tongs, and no piercing to let liquids escape.

5 to 7 minutes per side? Are you making leather?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
8bit said:
5 to 7 minutes per side? Are you making leather?

Nope. 5 gets perfect results.

Don't tell me you've got one of those gajillion BTU monster grills that burn steaks before you can curse Bobby Flay.

Matlock

Banned
Tuvoc said:
steak.jpg

Steak tartar...uncooked...

That looks like it'd make a shitty hamburger.

ballhog

5 minuts might be ok on a gas grill, as alot of them just don't get that hot, I go for higher heat, lid off. Oh yeah, gas sucks!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ballhog said:
5 minuts might be ok on a gas grill, as alot of them just don't get that hot, I go for higher heat, lid off. Oh yeah, gas sucks!

Charcoal sucks too, I prefer wood.

8bit

Knows the Score
Goreomedy said:
Nope. 5 gets perfect results.

Don't tell me you've got one of those gajillion BTU monster grills that burn steaks before you can curse Bobby Flay.

2 minutes on a hot griddle pan, flip it then 2 minutes in the oven. Anything than that is overcooked.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Oops, I meant 5 minutes a side for every 1 inch of thickness, above.

Does anyone here use a thermometer when grilling? Or is that too anal for you?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
8bit said:
2 minutes on a hot griddle pan, flip it then 2 minutes in the oven. Anything than that is overcooked.

I use a propane grill. 1 inch sirloin steaks.

EDIT: And I'm sorry, but even though you sear it in a griddle pan, are you sure you're getting up to 160F with this method? I'd be surprised if you're hitting Rare 140.

ballhog

I use a digital thermometer in my smoker sometimes, or if I'm roasting something expensive, don't usually bother on the grill.

8bit

Knows the Score
Goreomedy said:
I use a propane grill. 1 inch sirloin steaks.

EDIT: And I'm sorry, but even though you sear it in a griddle pan, are you sure you're getting up to 160F with this method? I'd be surprised if you're hitting Rare 140.

Well, I like my meat rare. I used to over cook steak when I lived in the UK, but moving to the continent showed me the error of my ways.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ballhog said:
Did I say anything about charcoal?

no one said anything about gas in the first place did they? Or maybe they did, sorry.

I just wanted to clarify what I like.

OmniGamer

Gorgie said:
Actually I think medium rare, or rare, is safer to eat then well done. Because when the steak is cooked for a long time, cancer inducing chemicals are formed in the meat.

I thought that was potatoes and frying in oil.

ballhog

levious said:
no one said anything about gas in the first place did they? Or maybe they did, sorry.

I just wanted to clarify what I like.

I'm just screwing with you, I usually do use charcoal actually even though I agree that wood is better. Not really practical in the city though. I get some oak from a friend of mine sometimes. I love using that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom