• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Snake's Revenge part of the Metal Gear timeline?

Vieo

Absolutely not.

OK then, but how come newer Metal Gear games borrowed so much from Snake's Revenge?

1. In Snake's Revenge, there was a 2D side-scrolling mode (they called it the horizonal screen in the game manual). Anyway, in this mode you were allowed to duck down or even duck down and crawl on your stomach to evade the enemy's vision.
2. In Snake's Revenge, to defeat Metal Gear, you have to fire a series of remote controlled missles through a vent. Just like in Metal Gear Soild, you have fire remote controlled rockets through vents to destroy the generator to get to the president.

Was Snake's Revenge the first to implement those two?

If so, I don't think it's fair for Snake's Revenge to get ignored when they're borrowing stuff from the game. :D

P.S. BTW, you know that guy in Snake's Revenge... ehh.. I think his name was John Turner. Is he that Cyborg Ninja (gray wolf?) thats running around in MGS1 and MGS2?

Snake's Revenge was a spinoff published under the Ultra Games label. Each NES publisher was only allowed 5 releases a year or something like that, so publishers figured out that they could get around this limitation by creating new labels/brands. Konami created Ultra Games to release the greats like TMNT 1 & 2, Snake's Revenge, etc. AFAIK SN wasn't supposed to have any relevance to the MG storyline.

Great game though, highly underrated.

Vieo

Are you saying Snake's Revenge invented the human bodily functions of ducking and crawling? :p

Well, as far as making them a part of gameplay, yes. :D

EDIT: Also, you know that part in Metal Gear Solid where you have to use the microphone to find Ames? There's a woman in there thats unlike all the other characters. She says her name is Jennifer. In Snake's Revenge, there is also a Jennifer who is your informant.

Are those two Jennifers in anyway related?

eso76

it borrowed those possibilities from the real sequel to Metal Gear and real prequel to Metal Gear Solid.
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake on Msx2, which allowed you to duck and crawl on your stomach under desks, or into air ducts etc. from the usual top down perspective.
Guided rockets were MG2's invention too; there are sections where you have to drive a rocket through a series of corridors to reach and destroy some electric panel, much like in MGS...

In general, an incredible amont of ideas in MGS are a 3D adaptation of those already used in MG2..you'd be amazed how many.

And Snakes Revenge borrowed heavily from MG2:SS, so..

Snake's Revenge was made for US release to capitalize on the NES version of Metal Gear's popularity. The MSX2 was the home to the real sequel, Metal Gear Solid 2:Solid Snake, which introduced crawiling (using overhead view still).

The entire opening infiltration in Metal Gear Solid 2 is very similar to what was later used in the beginning of Metal Gear Solid. Roy Campbell and Master Miller also showed up there for the first time.

"P.S. BTW, you know that guy in Snake's Revenge... ehh.. I think his name was John Turner. Is he that Cyborg Ninja (gray wolf?) thats running around in MGS1 and MGS2?"

I haven't played SR in awhile, but I really doubt it. Ninja's name is Frank Yaeger, and he's also not in MGS2.

As for Jennifer, I don't really know if they're the same. Another Jennifer was in the original MG also. It's probably another running joke in the series like Johnny is.

epmode

but.. it's actually a good game. who cares?

and before anyone else brings this up, kojima likes snake's revenge, even though he had very little to do with it.

Miburou

For anyone interested, there are speed run videos for both Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake on some website that starts with a supr and ends with a nova, and is an organization.

Kon Tiki

Banned
1. In Snake's Revenge, there was a 2D side-scrolling mode (they called it the horizonal screen in the game manual). Anyway, in this mode you were allowed to duck down or even duck down and crawl on your stomach to evade the enemy's vision.
2. In Snake's Revenge, to defeat Metal Gear, you have to fire a series of remote controlled missles through a vent. Just like in Metal Gear Soild, you have fire remote controlled rockets through vents to destroy the generator to get to the president.

No they were both in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Well not the vent part.

Solid Snake end was like MGS. :D
Hand to hand combat. Only this tim eit was Grey Fox. :D

eso76

Vieo said:
P.S. BTW, you know that guy in Snake's Revenge... ehh.. I think his name was John Turner. Is he that Cyborg Ninja (gray wolf?) thats running around in MGS1 and MGS2?

Gray FOX ! :) His name is Frank Yeager, and he's the guy
who pilots the "metal gear" at the end of MG2. When you destroy the Metal Gear he burns with it, but some...er...parts of him are saved and he's turned into the ninja cyborg from MGS. Also, in the explosion you loose your equipment and then have to fight big boss with bare hands (well...not quite) just like the fight with Liquid in MGS.
Before MGS was released i also read somewhare that Snake's real name was actually Dustin Jaeger...i've always thought they would then reveal Snake and Fox are actually relatives but thanks God, they never did.
Maybe this is from the nes version manual or something...dunno.
Also, Master Miller was also in MG2, true. Only, he was black..He then turned white and blonde in MGS for plot reasons :)

suikodan

I am pretty sure that the "fire the missile above an electrical floor to blow up the panel" was introduced in MG1. I remember doing that on the NES version.

I never played SR although I played MG2: SS and it was a pretty awesome game. It's funny how MG: Ghost Babel took a lot from it.

Kon Tiki

Banned
eso76 said:
Gray FOX ! :)

0013.png

GREY!

Do not listen to MGS2. They mispelt Holly's name also. :p

eso76 said:
Gray FOX ! :) His name is Frank Yeager, and he's the guy
who pilots the "metal gear" at the end of MG2. When you destroy the Metal Gear he burns with it, but some...er...parts of him are saved and he's turned into the ninja cyborg from MGS.

Nope.
After you stop Metal Gear, you have to fight Gray Fox hand-to-hand in the minefield battle, which I thought was basically the hardest fight in the game since you've got basically nothing in the way of healing.

Also, Master Miller was also in MG2, true. Only, he was black..He then turned white and blonde in MGS for plot reasons :)

Did it really matter? The codec isn't really transmitting video data to Snake's eyes, and 'Master Miller' was at best supposedly operating out of his Alaskan place
(and obviously was just Liquid working out of the base)

As far as this thread goes, Kojima has made it very clear that he never worked on Snake's Revenge so it's obviously not canon, and that enough things about MG1/2 embarass him so don't expect to see non cellphone (or fami-mini MG1) versions until he decides to authorize full remakes (which I think would be really quite cool using the MGS2 engine...)

I sort of thought the names in the manual would tip most people off about SR, though.

jarrod

Banned
eso76 said:
it borrowed those possibilities from the real sequel to Metal Gear and real prequel to Metal Gear Solid.
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake on Msx2, which allowed you to duck and crawl on your stomach under desks, or into air ducts etc. from the usual top down perspective.
Guided rockets were MG2's invention too; there are sections where you have to drive a rocket through a series of corridors to reach and destroy some electric panel, much like in MGS...

In general, an incredible amont of ideas in MGS are a 3D adaptation of those already used in MG2..you'd be amazed how many.

And Snakes Revenge borrowed heavily from MG2:SS, so..
Snake's Revenge was developed (and released) before MG2. Sorry.

Snake's Revenge, Ghost Babel and (I'm assuming) Ac!d are alternate stories, and not considered canon. But all three are still recognized as Metal Gear games, despite not being part of the "main" series.

Crazymoogle said:
As far as this thread goes, Kojima has made it very clear that he never worked on Snake's Revenge so it's obviously not canon, and that enough things about MG1/2 embarass him so don't expect to see non cellphone (or fami-mini MG1) versions until he decides to authorize full remakes (which I think would be really quite cool using the MGS2 engine...)

I sort of thought the names in the manual would tip most people off about SR, though.
The game was made with Kojima's blessing though. Also, many of the same guys who made SR also worked on the NES Castlevania games iirc. :)

WarPig

I never made the connection before for some reason, but Frank Jaeger looks exactly like the Tom Berenger character in Platoon. Was there anybody in Metal Gear 2 that wasn't knocked off a famous '80s actor? Big Boss was the spitting image of Sean Connery...

DFS.

Top Bottom