• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is split screen almost a dead idea???

TTP said:
*BREAKING NEWS*

No Online for Halo 2. Just 4 player splitscreen.

Now u can discuss.

Well fortunately Halo 2 has the best of both worlds... online split screen.

I'd still buy Halo 2 with only 4 player split screen (including no link play), Halo is pretty much this gen's Goldeneye and we play 4 player games pretty frequently... and 8 player games too...

border

MarkRyan-IGN said:
Ever play Gauntlet?

"Multi" most typically means "more than two."
So you are going to sit here with a straight face and tell me that Street Fighter 2 is not a multiplayer game? =)

multiple - Having, relating to, or consisting of more than one individual, element, part, or other component; manifold.

Gantz

Banned
Lathentar said:
Multi-TV Gaming on One console will probably never work. Instead of splitting up the same number of pixels between two players you have to double the number of pixels. Killing the GPU.

Uh I should of mentioned hooking up multiple consoles not just one console.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
border said:
So you are going to sit here with a straight face and tell me that Street Fighter 2 is not a multiplayer game? =)
No, I wouldn't use "multiplayer" to describe Street Fighter. It's two-player. Versus.

If you want to bring in definitions, you're not going to find anything decisive. Look here to see that "multi" can mean either "more than two" or "more than one."

In the context of gaming, "multiplayer" has always meant three or more players to me and anyone I've known. Of course, this isn't even the point. A two-player split-screen doesn't make up for what should exist after Halo's fine example of multiplayer done right.

etiolate

Banned
Well there is a big difference between 2 player and 4 player. Just compare 2 player Mario Kart to the 4-player incarnations. One is a nice bit of competition, the other is pure insanity.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
etiolate said:
No four controller ports and no big four player title to support it.
Fantastic, and I'll just bet this revolves around what your personal definition of "big title" is right?

I guess it must make you scratch your head then trying to figure out why the first peripheral announced for the newly redesigned PS2 is the Multitap to go with it...I mean, why make that the first peripheral available to do something nobody supports on the PS2?

border

All the big 4-player games on other systems are exclusive titles (Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Halo), so I'm not exactly sure how 4 controller ports would have helped the PS2 acquire "big games" that have 4-way splitscreen.

I think the limiting factor really is that the PS2 is the weakest system around. 4-way splitscreen is pretty taxing on the hardware, so it may just be too much for developers to work out a way to do it. The Dreamcast was even weaker, and it didn't really have a cornucopia of 4-player goodness despite having 4 controller ports. Most of its big 4-player games were not splitscreen....they just had one "screen" and all players were visible on it (Powerstone 2, Virtua Tennis, Cannon Spike, etc).

EDIT: The biggest kart racer on PS2 is Crash Nitro Kart, and the biggest FPS is Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Both of those actually did have 4-player modes, though they're obviously not as "big" as Mario Kart and Halo.

etiolate

Banned
I guess it must make you scratch your head then trying to figure out why the first peripheral announced for the newly redesigned PS2 is the Multitap to go with it...I mean, why make that the first peripheral available to do something nobody supports on the PS2?

No, what makes me scratch my head is why they don't put four controller ports on the new PSTwo.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
How about 4 player split screen online? You and three of your buddies team up to battle folks...

Jonnyram

Presumably most of the people saying split-screen gaming has no future have no intention of ever having a family, never mind friends who live locally.

Beer, pizza and 3 mates in a room with you playing on one TV is way more fun than beer, pizza and 3 mates on the Internet somewhere.

Jacobi

Banned
Noooo please not. I love the splitscreen. Wario Ware and Mario Kart still are fucking fun (just like Perfect Dark).

Jacobi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Beer, pizza and 3 mates in a room with you playing on one TV is way more fun than beer, pizza and 3 mates on the Internet somewhere.
That is so true. I think its even more fun than a LAN.

For all the split-screen haters you HAVE to admit that a 4 - 8 player LAN of Mario Kart or Halo or whatever >>>>>>> online? Right? You have the best of both worlds. You're own screen and everyone in the same room. Too bad it's a pain in the arse to set up most of the time.

When do you think we'll start seeing console LAN gaming places? I've never even been to a PC LAN gaming place! I'm "proud" to say LOL.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
etiolate said:
No, what makes me scratch my head is why they don't put four controller ports on the new PSTwo.
Well, because there's no 4 player games to support, silly!! You only said that like, 2 or 3 posts ago. Having trouble keeping your story straight? ;)

Ranger X

I suppose that 4 player splitscreen it's a bit too much for many games. It's not something we often see because it's not all game that are suit for 4 player mode anyway.
Most of the time it's 2 players splitscreen and if it's more, make an online game. Put the option of online splitscreen too if you want.
So far, except maybe for party games and FPS, 4 controller ports on a console is rather useless.
And whatever we say, to split in 4 makes the graphic small and it's not always convenient. Personnality, i don't really care about 4 player splitscreen games (maybe except Smash brothers or the other 2-3 games in history to have been 4 player simultaneously in one screen).

To make a story short of all that, i'm still surprised how many people are still asking themselves why 4 player split is not really supported, i mean, it's pretty clear. And pretty clear it will not change...

border said:
All the big 4-player games on other systems are exclusive titles (Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Halo), so I'm not exactly sure how 4 controller ports would have helped the PS2 acquire "big games" that have 4-way splitscreen.
I always thought the PS2 not having any stand-out 4-player titles was because of its only having two ports. I imagine 4-way War of the Monsters would have been great.

Sony, I'm begging you... 4 ports on the PS3! You can do it!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Developer's of WotM specifically indicated that their choice to not go with 4 player support was to do with the fact that they simply didn't think it would work well with 4 player splitscreen. Nothing to do with the number of controller ports on the PS2.

kaching said:
Developer's of WotM specifically indicated that their choice to not go with 4 player support was to do with the fact that they simply didn't think it would work well with 4 player splitscreen. Nothing to do with the number of controller ports on the PS2.
So much for my example. I forgot that it was splitscreen... too much Godzilla.

casmaksen

Banned
We should make a list of the amount of onlin playable games there are at the moment and how many supoport more than 2 players offline. I'm to busy/lazy to do it so when i mean we i mean you guys who seem to have so much time on your hands.

IMO the whole argument is stupid. as has been pointed out already there is clearly room for both. I play online for competition but often when my i have family get togethers or the boyz round we play everything from sports wrestling games and party titles online is not a substitute for split screen offline in that situation.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
if online is so important why is the online forum so dead all the time? it should be renamed to the "sports game forum"

Top Bottom