• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Nintendo DS everything the 64 wasn't ???

ourumov

I am speaking in terms of the strategy being followed in both cases. Nintendo 64 was the last to be released promising the best performance in that generation, instead the NDS was born as a fast solution to stop PSP and will be in fact released before.
It has better 3rd Party support, more announced games and although they don't look as good as the PSP ones some show cool ideas.

I was a bit skeptical about Nintendo stopping Sony's entry to the portable market but I have to admit that they are doing things better. Both systems were anounced at nearly the same time and while PSP seems to be far from the promised release date, NDS seems like will be released on the promised dates.

In fact the system is nothing more than a fast solution to stop PSP while GBA2 is being developed...well, at least that's what Nintendo wants us to believe (I know a lot of you think this is the GBA 2 and that we won't see a GBA 2 till 4 years...).
Could have a strategy like this save Nintendo in the 32 bit era ?
It's obvious that the Virtual Boy was actually one of the keys to stop the 32 bit machines while N64 was being finished but I think that VB and NDS are totally opposed.
The whole support behind them is so different...
But my answer is that yes. If Nintendo had provided to the users some system at the right time the situation would have been different. It wouldn't have been so bad to release an intermediate home system back in 1996 with SNES compatibility and extended capabilities (in 3D fields for instance).
There was no reason to wait 2 years since the PSX release to release the home system.

Unless NDS turns to be a Dreamcast II, in the sense that despite having an awesome library fails to stop PSP, I think that Nintendo is doing things pretty right.

I tried to write those lines from a neutral point of view. I hope you don't take it as Sony/Nintendo fanboyism.

Razoric

Banned
Nintendo DS has a problem and that's GBA. Everyone has a GBA and is satisfied with it. NDS seems to be an extention of this. Cool weird Nintendo games. But are people "Nintendoed" out? PSP offers a brand new, non-Nintendo take on the portable world. To top it off it has 3D graphics are are as good or better than PS2.

I'll end up getting both, but my money is on GBA keeping the crown with PSP eating away at it... and Nintendo DS finding a little niche that will make it money but never quite hit the mainstream.

ourumov

It's all about stopping the production of GBA/SP...Remember NDS is backwards-compatible with them (although no GB/GBC compatibility there).

"If they don't want to buy it, let's make them eat it".

Razoric

Banned
**NOTE what I said is subject to change based on prices. If PSP ends up being $300-400 then it will bomb and bomb hard.

ourumov

I think that what will make NDS a primary product or a secondary one will be the support Nintendo throws at it...
So far GBA doesn't seem to have less support but Nintendo's Support for the system is VERY GOOD.

Phoenix

I own a GBA and I expect all but the weirdest titles to still be developed (compatible) for the GBA because the audience is HUGE. As such I have no intention in buying a NDS - I see no point.

jarrod

Banned
ourumov said:
Hmm...So you think that both NDS/VB would have been released even if PSX/PSP hadn't existed...
I doubt it.
VB was situated to take over the portable market, Nintendo was winding down GB development in favor of it. Things didn't work out though and GB got a huge second wind thanks to Pokemon & GB Pocket.

If PSP didn't exist, I think we'd be getting DS a little later with one screen, no touch interface, no WiFi (but still local wireless) for $99 and it'd be called GameBoy 64.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
ourumov said:
Hmm...So you think that both NDS/VB would have been released even if PSX/PSP hadn't existed...
I doubt it.
Jarrod pretty much took my reply out of my mouth. :)

I will add that it is common knowledge that what would eventually become the DS was in development before the PSP surfaced in any real form.

ourumov

I think that at considering the level of the game Nintendo and Sony are playing both knew when one or the other were gonna release their next portable system.
Actually PSP has been in Sony's suitcase (in different versions) since the release of PS2...

jarrod

Banned
ourumov said:
Actually PSP has been in Sony's suitcase (in different versions) since the release of PS2...
Longer than that actually I think... Sony's been envious of the GameBoy ever since the late 1980s. SCEA/SCEE was also in talks with SNK and Bandai about possibly distributing NGPC and WSC as Sony products afaik...

If Sony launches PSP for $250-$400 and it's actually successful, color me surprised. It's nice and all, but come on!! I think even Nintendo will have a hard time if they launch the DS for anything more then $150.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I think the DS provides nintendo with two things.

an "upscale" stop gap to the PSP while they develope GBA2 (not to mention a bit of handheld saturation, which can only hurt the PSP by the time it arrives, or so nintendo hopes)

But I really believe it is also a public testing ground of some ideas they wan't to try but are to afraid to comprimise the GBA with. Touch screen, two screens, all wireless, new media type, headset input etc etc. (not to forget the scratched tilt input)

I think any succesfull portion of the DS will find its way into GBA 2, with no worry factor for nintendo since the idea will have been thouroghly tested at market already.

Top Bottom