• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a program you can use to rip music from a PS2 game?

Matlock

Banned
I'm getting addicted to these Futurama soundtrack loops, and may toss 'em into the upcoming MTV Music program for a couple of songs.

But...there's only one problem! I don't know how to get the music from the game to a workable format!

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
gamemp3s way:

are always ripped from the original CD, usually with Exact Audio Copy. A recent version of LAME is always used, generally with the command-line options --alt-preset standard (which invokes variable bit rate, or VBR, encoding). The albums are then tagged as accurately as possible, in both ID3v1 and ID3v2 (note that older releases may not have ID3v2). After that, an NFO file is created, which includes a track list, album information, encoding information, release information, etc. An M3U is also created, which is a play-list file that can be used with media players such as Winamp and Windows Media Player. Finally, an SFV is created, which is a file that contains values for verifying the integrity of the files.

Matlock

Banned
A semi-bump. I tried looking for MF Audio, and came across a lot of soundboard sites, as I guess MF Audio makes that kind of stuff.

Here's to hoping someone on the daytime crew knows how to do this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Matlock said:
Hrm, doesn't work. Thanks anyway. :)

Just so you realize, many PS2 games do not utilize pre-recorded audio formats. It can actually be very hard to tell sometimes too! Onimusha, for example, certainly sounds like pre-recorded music...but it isn't. There IS a way to rip the music from those games, but it requires the ripper to actually look deep inside the code of various files and extract values. It can then be played back as a PSF2 file...

You're looking for .VAG files, assuming they haven't been stuffed into a pack/wad file, in which case you're a bit stuffed. I suppose you could look through the pack file for something like a VAG header, but if it's been packed, it's probably had the header removed too.

evil ways

I recently got access to a DVD burner, so I think I could use it to read PS2 games and see if I can extract music files from them. I'm dying to burn a Red Dead Revolver music CD, so I'll see if I can try something tonight with one of those programs.

Top Bottom