• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there really no path forward for Xbox as a platform?

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
My face when I see another doom and gloom Xbox thread:

AdcWzTp.png
The Office I Give Up GIF

Fahdis

Another Xbox is doomed thread. The Blue Pigeons (Rats of the Sky) with their 8 Exclusives this gen vs. The Green Rats. As far as I'm concerned all of these fuckers including the Red Tape worms are creatively bankrupt.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
At this point Microsoft Gaming should just close down so we dont keep getting these damn threads.

We are stuck in a timewarp or some shit.

pWIslvS.gif

As long as Microsoft Gaming is still makes money even as a third party publisher its not going anywhere,

Can we have like an OT for Xbox doom and gloom so whenever people feel the need to remind people that the Microsofts gaming division currently brings in more money than Windows, they can post in there.

p2oT2nz.png

A measly 7 billion in revenue.
With a bunch of releases on the horizon, Blizzard reentering China and Activision Blizzard King under their belt for the 2024 fiscal year.............the division is absolutely doomed.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Are you guys really that dumb? .. Xbox as a platform is probably in the best position going forward for the long game. Contrary to what you may think there will be a time when there are no more singular console hardware and all games will be on app services. MS holds a lot of big third party ips for that sole purpose. It's literally the whole purpose of multiple countries trying to ban the activation deal.

Nintendo will have their first party app service which will keep them going with their hugely popular ever green titles

Sony is trying to build up enough ever green first party titles to do the same.
Microsoft's problem is not that their box is bad. It's fine. The last one was fine too. Their problem is the fact that they could not make and release 1st party exclusive games to save their lives. It's why they're buying up a bunch of publishers. Their best bet is to not put Matt Booty in charge of Zenimax or Activision's output.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Are you guys really that dumb? .. Xbox as a platform is probably in the best position going forward for the long game. Contrary to what you may think there will be a time when there are no more singular console hardware and all games will be on app services. MS holds a lot of big third party ips for that sole purpose. It's literally the whole purpose of multiple countries trying to ban the activation deal.

Nintendo will have their first party app service which will keep them going with their hugely popular ever green titles

No one wants to use Microsoft’s services because they have no taste.

They can buy what they want, the talented people will leave because they don’t want to work under a repressive corporation.

With Starfield, the number compared to TES and Fallout were abysmal. No one was willing to pick up and Xbox for that game and no one was willing to buy it on Microsoft’s PC store front.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
it’s not just Xbox that’s in trouble it’s also Sony. Both Microsoft and Sony have been fighting the bleeding edge of console sustaining loses along the way. Now we’re at a cross road where 4k is possible in all consoles even the switch 2 will be able to achieve these according to rumors.

Sony can hang on longer as they have some big exclusives, but I can see Nintendo becoming the dominant console going forward. They will have Microsoft’s titles, they will have the big guns like GTA and COD and they will have all the exclusive Nintendo Franchises.

Outside a small visual bump Sony isn’t going to be able to sustain the gaming momentum Nintendo will be bringing. Add that the console is fully portable it truly could be the biggest console / handheld ever released IMHO.

This is all subjective to the switch 2 actually being as rumors might suggest!

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Nintendo never matters when they are successful.

Nintendo only factors into these conversations when they are struggling.

Nintendo is not a direct competitor to MS or Sony, their libraries don't overlap. They couldn't keep up the tech race and found a blue ocean elsewhere. Now the market is stable with clear positions for each.

Again the 4D Chess theory. MS execs are unable to plan 3 years ahead, how are they going to plan 10-15 years in the future? It's delusional, to say the least.

Humdinger

Sure they have a path forward - GamePass on different devices, plus publishing major titles on other platforms (Playstation, PC, and Switch).

Xbox as a console is not looking too great, but it will continue to exist for at least the next gen. MS isn't going to throw 30 million customers away - especially when that's where the bulk of GP customers are.

Last edited:

Perrott

With a bunch of releases on the horizon, Blizzard reentering China and Activision Blizzard King under their belt for the 2024 fiscal year.............the division is absolutely doomed.
So if their finances are great, why did they have to shift into full-on multiplatform publishing, or shutdown Tango or increase the prices of Game Pass, locking Day One releases to the highest tier in the process?

They're doomed, at least in what they set out to achieve originally, which was to spend Sony out of business.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Sure they have a path forward - GamePass on different devices, plus publishing major titles on other platforms (Playstation, PC, and Switch).

Xbox as a console is not looking too great, but it will continue to exist for at least the next gen. MS isn't going to throw 30 million customers away - especially when that's where the bulk of GP customers are.
One might think that Microsoft has decided to ditch the console market and is heavily investing in cloud infrastructure for cloud gaming. However Microsoft going to Microsoft and I doubt they are doing anything. They believe they can become a publisher and manage ip’s when they bungled and ruined multiple first party titles. I suspect a lot of the big franchises are seeing their last days of success.

Fess

Eh, Sony is fine. It’s why they’re still highly successful. They are nowhere near the position that Xbox is in and it goes far beyond the exclusive.
They’re bigger but have you not listened to the talk around every PC port? That’s the snowball rolling… When core gamers are talking about moving over to PC they aren’t fine at all. That’s how it started for MS last gen when they did the same late Steam releases. It is a dangerous path to take. Timed exclusivity is not enough.

Black_Stride

So if their finances are great, why did they have to shift into full-on multiplatform publishing, or shutdown Tango or increase the prices of Game Pass, locking Day One releases to the highest tier in the process?

Because they are a business.
Businesses like money.
They can make more money from selling some games on Playstation and Switch......so they do.
They can make more money by charging more for Gamepass......so they do.
Laying off redundant and/or noncritical employees saves them money......so they do.

Day One releases are only not available on Gamepass Standard.......the lowest tier of actual Gamepass.
Gamepass Core is a rebranded XBLG to confuse consumers and upsell the other tiers.
dont @ me.

FFTRHbU.jpg

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
They’re bigger but have you not listened to the talk around every PC port? That’s the snowball rolling… When core gamers are talking about moving over to PC they aren’t fine at all. That’s how it started for MS last gen when they did the same late Steam releases. It is a dangerous path to take. Timed exclusivity is not enough.
When core gamers are actually moving in numbers that are worth a closer look, then sure, at that point they'll likely adjust accordingly (Sony is much better at this than Microsoft). But, an anecdote of a potential situation is not proof of anything.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Nintendo is not a direct competitor to MS or Sony, their libraries don't overlap. They couldn't keep up the tech race and found a blue ocean elsewhere. Now the market is stable with clear positions for each.
I don't understand the train of logic. Time and money are both finite.

If Persona 6/Dragon Quest 12/Whatever releases on Switch 2 and 2 million people decide to buy the game on Switch 2 only, that's $2M worth of sales NOT on Xbox's platform. That sounds like direct competition to me.

You think the Xbox execs will say "Well, those sales don't count cuz its on Nintendo's system"? You think ATLUS and SquareEnix won't look at that data and factor it into further platform support in the future in some way?🙄

Hint: It's already happening. There are several games (mostly Japanese) that are only on Xbox because Xbox pays for them to be there (i.e. Gamepass).

Last edited:
Xbox has no identity. The positives that used to be associated with Xbox went to PC long ago, and were badly mismanaged to boot (Halo & Gears Of War).

It's become an inevitability even these titles will make the transition to PlayStation someday, and possibly even Nintendo if their hardware can handle it.

The entire Xbox culture has become one of failure and defeat. Gamepass is climbing in price and offering less value, and Xbox "platform citizenship" is in the gutter. It's a sad and sorry state, brought on almost entirely by self-inflicted wounds and decades of bad decisions far outnumbering good.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I don't understand the train of logic. Time and money are both finite.

If Persona 6/Dragon Quest 12/Whatever releases on Switch 2 and 2 million people decide to buy the game on Switch 2 only, that's $2M worth of sales NOT on Xbox's platform. That sounds like direct competition to me.

You think the Xbox execs will say "Well, those sales don't count cuz its on Nintendo's system"? You think ATLUS and SquareEnix won't look at that data and factor it into further platform support in the future in some way?🙄

Hint: It's already happening. There are several games (mostly Japanese) that are only on Xbox because Xbox pays for them to be there (i.e. Gamepass).

The main driver for people to buy a Nintendo Switch is Nintendo first-party exclusives. Those games are almost the opposite of the first and third-party current gen in PS and XBOX. People don't choose between Zelda or GTA.

Many have the two consoles and use the Switch as a handheld or to play indies, while the PS/XBOX is the main home console.

Gamecube was the last Nintendo console that tried to catch that audience. They learnt the lesson and won't try it again unless its current position gets threatened by the evolution of mobile gaming.

SHA

Microsoft target specific type of audience just like Sony do, I'd say personally if Playstation the way we know it before ps3 still exist, there won't be xbox at this point, cause Sony created that vacuum, that space, it's their fault, you can't make a business decision without taking everything into account, just like how people gather sharing the same thoughts for every business, if you want more from Sony then play their older games.

In general consoles become more and more obsolete. It started with more and more games arriving on consoles and ends now with game streaming, where we see a quality increase all the time.

Once Sony has created a satisfying PC storefront, it’s over for PlayStation as well.

Don’t get me wrong I love consoles and would love to see many more console generations, but I just can’t see a future where consoles are still a big thing.

DJ12

Xbox's standing in the market has never been worse than it is right now. They are getting their ass handed to them from all sides of the market, and I wonder if there is any future for them as a platform holder.

The problem is that there are four frontiers on which Xbox can fight this fight, but all four of them have established, dominant incumbents and I don't see how Xbox would ever be able beat them:

• Traditional Home Console: PlayStation has this part of the market under lock and key. Xbox has tried to beat PlayStation at this game for two and a half decades and barring a few golden years, never actually succeeded

• PC gaming: Arguably the one area Microsoft and Xbox should have sewn up before anywhere else, Microsoft and Xbox have a long history of consistently failing at this with their storefront attempts, from Games For Windows Live to the UWP fuelled Windows Store, and now the Xbox PC gaming platform. Microsoft's big PC gaming successes all come on Steam, someone else's platform

• Portable gaming: This is an area of the market that Nintendo has had an even longer monopoly on than Sony with consoles. In 45 tears of this market, no one has broken Nintendo's reign at the top of the portable market, including Sony and Valve, who are the guys who kicked Microsoft's ass in the other markets they tried to play in. An Xbox handheld sounds cool, but I don't see it doing very well against Nintendo, especially when Microsoft couldn't hack it against Valve and Sony in the other segments

• Mobile gaming: Arguably the incumbent in this part of the market is the hardest one of all. Apple with the App Store owns and dominates mobile gaming, and its feels unlikely anything can properly challenge that - even Epic with the world's most popular game could not do it. This is before we even mention Google Play as another thorn in MS's side, and before we talk about the fact that Microsoft has had multiple failed attempts in the mobile market in the past.

So I don't see a path forward for Xbox as a platform. All segments of the market are completely dominated by existing incumbents who seem to benefit greatly from platform lock in and ecosystem effect. Theoretically there are still frontiers for video games that Microsoft could try to get in on - VR gaming (however this is on a decline from its already niche status, and ALSO completely dominated by an existing incumbent with Meta); cloud gaming (this is something that has had multiple high profile failures in the past, Microsoft themselves ave an existing cloud gaming platform that has stagnated, and this part of the market seems to be dominated largely by Nvidia); or maybe something completely new? But based on what we have in the market right now, I don't really see a path forward for Xbox as a platform.
Xbox can thrive with software only.

Problem is though this would need a change in mindset completely. At the moment they just release any old trash to get it out on gamepass. This is suicide should they take this approach for other platforms that won't have gamepass.

If it's not ready they better not release that shit.

I think they will find a niche in the market that they seem to be aiming, high priced, more capable console, but ultimately it's probably not worth it as the R&D cost and limited number of people buying it without any subsidy will be small.

I also just don't think MS are any good at hardware. The series x was sold at a $200 loss per unit and still couldn't show daylight and actually performs worse in many instances than the ps5. That is not a good sign for future hardware.

Will their new box despite costing $400 to $500 dollars more show much of a delta to the ps6 when it comes out.

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Why even bother? Like they own the PC market with windows without selling a ton of PCs (do they even sell PCs?). Surely it's less headaches and overhead to just bank on their IP at this point.

PaintTinJr

At this point Microsoft Gaming should just close down so we dont keep getting these damn threads.

pWIslvS.gif

As long as Microsoft Gaming is still makes money even as a third party publisher its not going anywhere,

Can we have like an OT for Xbox doom and gloom so whenever people feel the need to remind people that the Microsofts gaming division currently brings in more money than Windows, they can post in there.

p2oT2nz.png

I fail to see how this comment - which has undisputed facts - actually addresses the issue of Xbox, when Microsoft gaming is a different animal.

Surely it is a valid question to ask on Gaf - with a new Xbox console rumoured from great sources to be coming - if in the confines of Xbox as a classic console provider and publisher - similar to Nintendo and PlayStation - if there is a way back, when Xbox failing with even lower console market share impacts the landscape, no?

As for the thread question, I don't see a way in which Xbox retains enough market share in America for the company not to finally kill their under the TV console business, and effectively become just another 3rd party publisher.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

I fail to see how this comment - which has undisputed facts - actually addresses the issue of Xbox, when Microsoft gaming is a different animal.

Surely it is a valid question to ask on Gaf - with a new Xbox console rumoured from great sources to be coming - if in the confines of Xbox as a classic console provider and publisher - similar to Nintendo and PlayStation - if there is a way back, when Xbox failing with even lower console market share impacts the landscape, no?

As for the thread question, I don't see a way in which Xbox retains enough market share in America for the company not to finally kill their under the TV console business, and effectively become just another 3rd party publisher.
I like the part where it was mentioned about "Xbox doom and gloom", straight after calling the xbox division "Microsoft gaming"

Black_Stride

I like the part where it was mentioned about "Xbox doom and gloom", straight after calling the xbox division "Microsoft gaming"

Xbox Games Studios (previously known as Microsoft Games then Microsoft Game Studios then Microsoft Studios) got rebranded/restructured into Microsoft Gaming.
Prior to 2022 the Microsoft's gaming division was called Xbox Games Studios, after Bethesda, ABK acquisitions it didnt make sense to keep calling the division Xbox so they changed the name to Microsoft Gaming with Phil Spencer as its CEO so that ZeniMax, Xbox Games Studios(under Sarah Bond) and ABK can still have levels of autonomy as such large entities themselves.
But during financial reporting Microsoft now reports the Xbox, ABK, Zeni together under Microsoft Gaming.

I assume when people say XBOX they are talking about the division that includes ABK, XGS and Zeni.....in which hardware is just a small part of their revenue stream.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Xbox's standing in the market has never been worse than it is right now. They are getting their ass handed to them from all sides of the market, and I wonder if there is any future for them as a platform holder.

The problem is that there are four frontiers on which Xbox can fight this fight, but all four of them have established, dominant incumbents and I don't see how Xbox would ever be able beat them:

• Traditional Home Console: PlayStation has this part of the market under lock and key. Xbox has tried to beat PlayStation at this game for two and a half decades and barring a few golden years, never actually succeeded

• PC gaming: Arguably the one area Microsoft and Xbox should have sewn up before anywhere else, Microsoft and Xbox have a long history of consistently failing at this with their storefront attempts, from Games For Windows Live to the UWP fuelled Windows Store, and now the Xbox PC gaming platform. Microsoft's big PC gaming successes all come on Steam, someone else's platform

• Portable gaming: This is an area of the market that Nintendo has had an even longer monopoly on than Sony with consoles. In 45 tears of this market, no one has broken Nintendo's reign at the top of the portable market, including Sony and Valve, who are the guys who kicked Microsoft's ass in the other markets they tried to play in. An Xbox handheld sounds cool, but I don't see it doing very well against Nintendo, especially when Microsoft couldn't hack it against Valve and Sony in the other segments

• Mobile gaming: Arguably the incumbent in this part of the market is the hardest one of all. Apple with the App Store owns and dominates mobile gaming, and its feels unlikely anything can properly challenge that - even Epic with the world's most popular game could not do it. This is before we even mention Google Play as another thorn in MS's side, and before we talk about the fact that Microsoft has had multiple failed attempts in the mobile market in the past.

So I don't see a path forward for Xbox as a platform. All segments of the market are completely dominated by existing incumbents who seem to benefit greatly from platform lock in and ecosystem effect. Theoretically there are still frontiers for video games that Microsoft could try to get in on - VR gaming (however this is on a decline from its already niche status, and ALSO completely dominated by an existing incumbent with Meta); cloud gaming (this is something that has had multiple high profile failures in the past, Microsoft themselves ave an existing cloud gaming platform that has stagnated, and this part of the market seems to be dominated largely by Nvidia); or maybe something completely new? But based on what we have in the market right now, I don't really see a path forward for Xbox as a platform.

You’re right on all accounts. Xbox as a platform and ecosystem is going to wither and simply be an option that is available instead of serious competition in any of the pillars. Xbox/microsoft gaming is effectively Activision Blizzard + Bethesda, a massive third party publisher and owner of content and franchises that make all financial sense to put out on any many platforms as possible.

PaintTinJr

Xbox Games Studios (previously known as Microsoft Games then Microsoft Game Studios then Microsoft Studios) got rebranded/restructured into Microsoft Gaming.
Prior to 2022 the Microsoft's gaming division was called Xbox Games Studios, after Bethesda, ABK acquisitions it didnt make sense to keep calling the division Xbox so they changed the name to Microsoft Gaming with Phil Spencer as its CEO so that ZeniMax, Xbox Games Studios(under Sarah Bond) and ABK can still have levels of autonomy as such large entities themselves.
But during financial reporting Microsoft now reports the Xbox, ABK, Zeni together under Microsoft Gaming.

I assume when people say XBOX they are talking about the division that includes ABK, XGS and Zeni.....in which hardware is just a small part of their revenue stream.
I specifically said classic console provider as was the OP intention. No one cares about the 70%(probably $2b) Microsoft make from selling ATVI products on PlayStation and Switch, or Windows Store app money.

The topic was clearly about the viability of Xbox as a console, and I'm pretty sure you knew that before you posted too.

Black_Stride

I specifically said classic console provider as was the OP intention. No one cares about the 70%(probably $2b) Microsoft make from selling ATVI products on PlayStation and Switch, or Windows Store app money.

The topic was clearly about the viability of Xbox as a console, and I'm pretty sure you knew that before you posted too.

So you are talking specifically about the console hardware only...............

source.gif

If the consoles arent making much money but the division is, one loss maker is made up for by the profit makers.
MS isnt killing the Xbox Console any time soon.
It is all but guaranteed that the next gen machine is being worked on with the Surface team, if they can garner good will with a strong end of generation with XSX their next machine might be compelling for users, compelling enough to warrant its existence at the very least.
Now assuming that console last 10 years........
Ill probably be dead before Microsoft stops producing consoles.......so it really isnt something that needs a new thread every week.

The OP goes into multiple factors in gaming.
Clearly this was about the whole business including the services such as Gamepass.

if they can garner good will with a strong end of generation with XSX their next machine might be compelling for users, compelling enough to warrant its existence at the very least.
Are you talking about the end of generation of XSX, as in the next 3-4 years?
The problem is that there is no possibility to pivot and release high quality AAA games in that timeframe.

A game at the caliber of, say, Helldivers 2, takes 7 years to make. This isn't the PS3 era when you can pivot and rush out high quality games in time before the console retires. Assuming Xbox get its act together and started making high quality games LAST YEAR, the games would not be ready for launch until the next gen came out.

So unless you are talking about small arthouse titles, your scenario is physically impossible. If Xbox was to want to make it in time they would have needed to start making good games from 2022 at the minimum. And Covid really killed that possibility.

So no, Xbox can't release compelling new titles in time for XSX unless they could "beta-test in the future".

(It really brings back childhood memories of a time in Uni when I realized that there was not enough physical days left to finish studying for the exam. it was crushing. I got the time management wrong and there was no way back. Nothing, NOTHING, can truly buy time.)

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Are you talking about the end of generation of XSX, as in the next 3-4 years?
The problem is that there is no possibility to pivot and release high quality AAA games in that timeframe.
A game at the caliber of, say, Helldivers 2, takes 7 years to make. This isn't the PS3 era when you can pivot and rush out high quality games in time before the console retires. Assuming Xbox get its act together and started making high quality games LAST YEAR, the games would not be ready for launch until the next gen came out.
So unless you are talking about small arthouse titles, your scenario is physically impossible. If Xbox was to want to make it in time they would have needed to start making good games from 2022 at the minimum. And Covid really killed that possibility.

So no, Xbox can't release compelling new titles in time for XSX unless they could "beta-test in the future".

• Fable
  • Indiana Jones
  • Gears of War Emergence
  • Doom Dark Ages
  • Flight Sim 2024
  • Avowed
  • Perfect Dark
  • South of Midnight
  • State of Decay 3
  • Clockwork Revolution
  • Everwild
  • Contraband
  • The Outerworlds 2
  • OD

That a list of Microsoft games just off head, im sure im missing some........
Next years showcase and the year after they will hav more.

ZAiwF2tKZGyEt3tDAm2tJ6-1200-80.jpg

Hideo-Kojima-Jordan-Peele-OD-Game-Xbox-Trailer.jpg

Mr Moose

pWIslvS.gif

p2oT2nz.png

Didn't they say they lost money in gaming two Qs in a row? Revenue != profit.
Edit: It's in the article the screenshot is from.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

So you are talking specifically about the console hardware only...............

source.gif

If the consoles arent making much money but the division is, one loss maker is made up for by the profit makers.
MS isnt killing the Xbox Console any time soon.
It is all but guaranteed that the next gen machine is being worked on with the Surface team, if they can garner good will with a strong end of generation with XSX their next machine might be compelling for users, compelling enough to warrant its existence at the very least.
Now assuming that console last 10 years........
Ill probably be dead before Microsoft stops producing consoles.......so it really isnt something that needs a new thread every week.

The OP goes into multiple factors in gaming.
Clearly this was about the whole business including the services such as Gamepass.
I'm talking specifically about the classic hardware model that includes game sales(or gamepass sub use on xbox hardware), where Xbox being alive is success by market share in userbase (mainly in NA and UK) compared to PlayStation and Nintendo.

The hardware doesn't need to make money directly, but the games sales, use and engagement on Xbox hardware needs to be measured and not hand waved away because "Microsoft games" has it all covered.

My belief is that Xbox has survived at the board level so far because of fair comparison with PlayStation in NA, and when that fails beyond a turn around Microsoft will kill the Direct-X (in a) box hardware, which IMO will have a delayed impact on their entire DirectX strategy versus SteamOS, PlayStationOS, SwitchOS, MacOS, IOS and Android development that all use Opengl ES styled Vulkan solutions, and will even negatively impact their PC defacto controller setup with an Xbix pad IMO

Gambit2483

Many have the two consoles and use the Switch as a handheld or to play indies, while the PS/XBOX is the main home console.
And many people have just a Switch. Switch has over 120 million units sold while Xbox Series has barely over 20 million sold. If a game releases on both Switch and Xbox those numbers are all that matters.

Execs and investors don't use imaginary terms like "main console". They look at numbers sold. GTA not being on Switch means jack shit all to most Japanese publishers weighing in on who to support and how much to support them.

You are thinking like a fanboy with fanboy logic while I'm explaining how the actual real world looks at it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom