• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there really no path forward for Xbox as a platform?

They are going to be the literal biggest third party publisher ever, they have a vision, just not what the fanbase they created wanted

Disagree with this.

I think they are going in good direction.

No need to live and die by console when there is bigger fish to catch.

Hopefully a steam playing, unsubsidised, powerful xbox is on the cards.

Fess

Mass market do not think in a way "I will wait 2 years for this game to buy it on PC". The same as they don't think "I will wait for 2 years and get it free from PS+ or heavily discounted on sales".
Can’t compare waiting for a PS+ release or discount with buying a console. One thing is about saving money, the other is about investing in a new platform, possibly wasting money. That’s two different type of customers.

And if mass market would rush out to buy a console to play timed exclusives it would show in numbers with much more multi platform owners. Owning one platform is still the norm. Many still play on last generation consoles. The masses are slow.

And except for Nintendo the exclusivity spell is broken. Everything is assumed to be timed exclusive now. It’s why you see Playstation gamers mention Playstation ports of Starfield and Halo. No official news but still assumed to happen sooner or later. But do you see them rush out and buy a console to play them early?

When you buy two huge publishers and it still has no effect, you know times up. As a competitor to sony, there's no way back. Microsoft know that too, so they're pushing for subs and software accross as many platforms as possible.

Last edited:
Yes, I want a pc managed by Xbox forward compatibility team.
That sounds like what Microsoft had in mind, because it is something they have experience in. Microsoft as a company seem to be obsessed with compatibility, and throwing in an "Xbox Mode" in the Widows options doesn't seem beyond them.
The recent push to make Xbox Gamepass subscribers to upgrade in order to get their day one game releases, also "innocently" gave them compulsory PC Gamepass rights. You would think this is rather pointless most of the time because PC gamepass by itself is actually better value and cheaper....

As i explained in the original thread when the Gamepass changes were outlined; Xbox knew all along that they 1. need to raise the price one way or another and 2. They need to keep the customers paying but ALSO need to move them to PC, because console is going away.

Xbox made PC Gamepass much better value because they WANT to convert as many people as possible. Because anyone who insist they would rather die than play on PC, would cease to be a customer after the changeover. They also know that the price needed to be raised so they accept that some people would drop out by themselves.

What happens is that we end up with customers willing to pay the higher tier Xbox Gamepass remaining. And everyone is also linked to PC Gamepass by default. Then on switchover Xbox would declare that "Xbox" would now just be a partition in Windows 11 and that everyone can just keep playing with their existing membership on PC, and that Xbox Gamepass would cease to exist.

The ideal Microsoft outcome is having as many of the existing Gamepass high tier subscribers retained safe and sound, when the Xbox console itself sinks like the titanic.

The tl;dr:
That's the secret.
They are giving the Console customers PC game licenses BY FORCE when they buy day-one gamepass.

Because customers who only have games on Consoles would demand that they keep their ability to play on consoles. By making these customers buy the higher tier that include PC game access (that they didn't ask for), it allows Microsoft to later pull the rug under the consoles and tell them to go play on PC. Basically "we are not taking your games away from you, you can continue playing without your console, you lost nothing".

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Xbox as a console platform is basically dead. And I think Microsoft is perfectly fine with it. Hardware has always been a necessary evil for them. It's only us, old Xbox fans, who care. Microsoft is now a huge publisher and will make a ton of money selling games and not least provide services. The next Xbox will be the last, made for the few die hards (and likely very expensive).

Three

giphy.gif
"Gaming" not xbox the hardware. This is their games like CandyCrush, Diablo Immortal etc:

Xbox as a hardware platform is pretty much irrelevant to them now.

yurinka

I think MS will continue slowly moving away from their console hardware, at least the one made in-house. I think that for the next gen there will be home and portable Xbox consoles but build by 3rd party companies like Asus, Lenovo, etc. and will run a consolized version of Windows adapted to PC handhelds and home console shaped PCs. And then after some years they'll stop these 3rd party Xbox but they'll continue with the consolized version of Window and their PC game stores for desktop, laptop and consolized PCs.

I think Xbox as platform will evolve into a crossplatofrm digital platform, basically Microsoft's multiplatform gaming ecosystem featuring game stores in PC, Xbox (PC) consoles and (featuring games via cloud or native titles) mobile.

I think they'll slowly move from other PC and mobile stores to this one, and I also thing that in the future they'll move down their focus from GP to focus more on selling games in all platforms.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Graphically Fable looks amazing.
Say what you will about the character looking ugly, but the game overall looks topnotch.....AA lastgen game, people are sitll doubting its actually gameplay.
J8yHhJbZcpEnktYjCi79s4-1200-80.jpg

here-are-some-screenshots-from-todays-showcase-v0-2xhnkjk6ul5d1.png
I didn't see any gameplay with Fable. What I did see was pre canned animations that were meant to simulate gameplay scenes/scenarios.

If they truly want to impress us with Fable they need to show actual gameplay.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I didn't see any gameplay with Fable. What I did see was pre canned animations that were meant to simulate gameplay scenes/scenarios.

If they truly want to impress us with Fable they need to show actual gameplay.

The defense rests.

Multiple Playground devs have said what youve been seeing is gameplay (camera position and post processes notwithstanding), not target gameplay, not offline renders.....but it looks too good to be gameplay?
Others are saying Fable looks like a AA game from lastgen.

This will be Hellblade 2 and TLOU2 all over again.
I called it way back when you can spot raster cheats/errors that wouldnt be present in an offline render..

I dont even know what to say now.....one poster says it looks like a AA game from last gen, another says it looks like its an offline renderer.............NeoGAF (my last gaming bastion online)

dbiokcc-d10409ec-1770-461c-87b8-6eaa323d8071.gif

DJ12

The defense rests.

Multiple Playground devs have said what youve been seeing is gameplay (camera position and post processes notwithstanding), not target gameplay, not offline renders.....but it looks too good to be gameplay?

I called it way back when you can spot raster cheats/errors that wouldnt be present in an offline render..

I dont even know what to say now.....one poster says it looks like a AA game from last gen, another says it looks like its an offline renderer.............NeoGAF (my last gaming bastion online)

Lol

Trust me bro, they said its game play although the evidence of camera angles says otherwise.

PeteBull

Gold Member
The defense rests.

thats simply very manly face bro, look at that jawline/cheekbones xD

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I just got 2 years of ultimate while you can still get it cheap with the core conversion trick. I am curious to see how it works on the Firestick. Should be good enough for the kids.

dcx4610

My idea for Xbox as a brand is something that I thought should have happened from the beginning:

1. "Xbox" should be a pre-built PC running Windows with an Xbox App frontend. It should come with a mouse, keyboard and controller. The Xbox store would be where you can buy your games but you can also switch to Windows and run Steam and other apps.
2. GamePass should be on PlayStation, Switch, PC and everywhere you can put it.

They just aren't viable as a console anymore but they could be a nice introduction into PC gaming for a lot of people and, it counts as a PC sale and a new Windows user.

Caffeine

the path forward is cod, bethesda games, supporting wow like their life depends on it to keep subs up, and releasing third party. outside of that it feels like hardware is done with all the financial losses its causing.

Top Bottom