• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this computer a good buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T5226#

CPU: Intel® Pentium® D Processor 925 (Dual-Core)1
64-bit processor with Intel® EM64T Technology
(Each core operates at 3.0GHz | 2 x 2MB L2 Cache | 800MHz FSB)

Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium2

Chipset: Intel® 945G

Memory: 1024MB DDR2 Memory, Dual-Channel Capable
(2 × 512MB), 533MHz (PC4200)
Expandable to 2GB
2 DDR2 Slots (Total), 0 DDR2 Slot (Available)

Hard Drive: 250GB SATA II (7200rpm, 8MB Cache) 3

Optical Drives: DVD±RW 16x Multiformat Dual-Layer Optical Drive
Up to 8.5GB with Dual-Layer Media
Write max: 16x DVD±R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM

Video: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Up to 224MB Shared Video Memory
PCI-Express® (PCI-E x16) slot available for upgrade

Sound: 6-Channel (5.1) High-Definition Audio
Amplified Stereo Speakers (USB-Powered)

Communications: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
Intel® 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)

Peripherals: Premium multifunction keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse (PS/2)

Ports/Other: 6 - USB 2.0 Ports (2 Front, 4 Rear)
1 - VGA
1 - Parallel port
1 - Serial port
2 - PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse)
3 - Audio (rear): Line-in/Side (Stereo), Front/Headphone (Stereo), Microphone
2 - Audio (Front): Microphone, Front/Headphone (Stereo)
1 - RJ-45 Ethernet port
1 - RJ-11 Modem port

Dimensions: 14.50"H x 7.25"W x 16.50"D
Weight: 21.2 lbs
Warranty: 1 Year Parts and Labor4
Software: Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Productivity Software
Microsoft® Works 8.5
Microsoft® Office 2007 Home Student (60-day complimentary trial period)5
Adobe® Reader®
Digital Media Software
Vista™ Integrated DVD Playback with 6-Channel Audio
CyberLink® Power2Go™
Microsoft® Digital Image Starter Edition 2006 (includes 60-day Digital Image Standard 2006 trial)5
Napster Music Service (30-day trial)
Connectivity/Utilities
Microsoft® Internet Explorer 7
AOL® 9.0 (90-day risk free trial included)6
Google Toolbar and Google Desktop Search
eMachines® Comprehensive Security
McAfee® Internet Security Suite™ (90-day complimentary subscription)7
eMachines® BigFix® - helps identify and solve problems
Game Software
eMachines® Games Powered by: WildTangent (preinstalled with 10 demo games with 60 minutes of game play)8

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Why to send emails of course.

I will be getting into PC gaming a bit more. I already know I will need a proper VGA

Jamesfrom818 said:
An Emachine is never a good buy.

Don't listen to this hater of this brand name (E-machine)!!! :p

Anyway, I have an e-machine and it's very good. I have it for 4 yrs now and still running good. As long as you know how to kill spam/virus/spyware/malware and keep mainteance on your computer then you're set for life.

Best advice is to stay away from HP and Compaq computers.

Lo-Volt

Orin GA said:
Why to send emails of course.

I will be getting into PC gaming a bit more. I already know I will need a proper VGA

Better check on the power supply rating. Might not have enough juice for everything, so maybe your GPU choices may be limited?

SUPREME1

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

You can't build that for $469

Good buy.. and even though emachines sold out.. the specs and software add up to more than the cost.

Wait, no monitor?

Lemme think this over again..

That's a solid value since you can get Vista Home Premium, but if you want to do any gaming, you'll need a good video card (7900GS at least) and better ram (at least DDR2-667, preferably 2GB since you'd have Vista).

All told, you're better off building one yourself.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Jade Knight 08 said:
Best advice is to stay away from HP and Compaq computers.

Well, my mom has a Compaq we bought 3 years ago and it has had no problems, my bro has had one for 2 years, no problems. I have a Compaq that is going on it's 8th year with no problem at all. I did have a HDD crash after 5 years, but that was expected. I can't speak for HP/Compaq stuff recently, but we have had no problems.

I am in the process of totally re-bulding my PC now though. I am getting a new mother board, processor, memory, video and sound cards. I am keeping my case though. I love the case.

ice cream

Banned
Hey, can someone please tell if this pc is good enough to handle crysis on like medium settings?
Procesor: INTEL® Core 2 Duo E6600 (2 X 2.40GHz) 1066MHz FSB/4MB L2 Cache
RAM: 2048 MB CORSAIR DDR2 800MHz (might upgrade to 4096mb)
Motherboard: ASUS® P5B: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA II, x16 VGA, 3 PCI etc
Graphics:512MB RADEON X1950 PRO

And is it true that even though you can use flash drives as ram on vista, its not really like "real" RAM, just more like for caching?

Oh and which is better: The 512MB RADEON X1950 PRO or the 512mb GEFORCE 7900 GS?

SleazyC

ice cream said:
Hey, can someone please tell if this pc is good enough to handle crysis on like medium settings?
Procesor: INTEL® Core 2 Duo E6600 (2 X 2.40GHz) 1066MHz FSB/4MB L2 Cache
RAM: 2048 MB CORSAIR DDR2 800MHz (might upgrade to 4096mb)
Motherboard: ASUS® P5B: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA II, x16 VGA, 3 PCI etc
Graphics:512MB RADEON X1950 PRO

And is it true that even though you can use flash drives as ram on vista, its not really like "real" RAM, just more like for caching?

Oh and which is better: The 512MB RADEON X1950 PRO or the 512mb GEFORCE 7900 GS?
No one knows what kind of requirements will be needed for Crysis yet but the E6600 is a solid buy and can be overclocked pretty high.

As for the graphics card, the Radeons have had better image quality (until the 8000 series I believe) for the most part but I would check out some benchmarks to see which one might be better.

As for the eMachine in regards to gaming. The computer is using a Pentium D which is a bit of an older chip and if you could spare the money I would suggest an AMD X2 or one of the entry Core 2 Duo's. They will serve you better if you want to play some of the newer games.

Lo-Volt

Red Scarlet said:
Slapping people with large trouts. It should be sufficient.

:lol

To actually answer the OP's question besides my digression before, no it is not the best idea to be buying from eMachines (Gateway). If you have to go big maker, HP-Compaq or Dell are tolerable, but it's always a crapshoot when you go to a big manufacturer with bad customer service, isn't it?

Seriously, this is not a good machine to get into PC gaming with, as Tre` has told me countless times when I dream about doing the same with my Word-box. If you have to use a big maker for a PC and you really want to game, there is Dell's XPS line. But a deal machine from a big maker isn't necessarily going to handle the things you may want to do with PC games.

Lynnfire

Wow, you can get specs like that in a computer these days for that price??? I spent a little over 1000$ 5 years ago on this machine right now. It's served me very well, but is definitely starting to show its now. It can handle half-life 2 on med-low settings, and basically can't play anything new now. Thus, I'm thinking about buying a new machine.

So....Does anyone have any advice for getting myself a new computer? I can deal with the monitor myself (I want a monitor that I can hook up to my computer AND also do TV stuff, like hook up to my game systems....got any suggestions?), but as for the tower....eeeeesh, I don't really know a lot. Should I build my own? What is the best place to buy individual parts (or packages) for that sort of thing? Is it difficult to get up and running just by myself? Should I worry about over-clocking at all (I'm not really sure what it is in the first place, but every time I see one of these threads, people are always saying that when you build your own computer, there is no reason to NOT over-clock...any truth to this?)?

Or should I just buy a pre-made one from a company some place?

I'm planning to use it mainly for gaming, little bit of writing and movie editing on the side (maybe...only minor stuff). Help with this is greatly appreciated:)

SRG01

Lynnfire said:
Wow, you can get specs like that in a computer these days for that price??? I spent a little over 1000$ 5 years ago on this machine right now. It's served me very well, but is definitely starting to show its now. It can handle half-life 2 on med-low settings, and basically can't play anything new now. Thus, I'm thinking about buying a new machine.

So....Does anyone have any advice for getting myself a new computer? I can deal with the monitor myself (I want a monitor that I can hook up to my computer AND also do TV stuff, like hook up to my game systems....got any suggestions?), but as for the tower....eeeeesh, I don't really know a lot. Should I build my own? What is the best place to buy individual parts (or packages) for that sort of thing? Is it difficult to get up and running just by myself? Should I worry about over-clocking at all (I'm not really sure what it is in the first place, but every time I see one of these threads, people are always saying that when you build your own computer, there is no reason to NOT over-clock...any truth to this?)?

Or should I just buy a pre-made one from a company some place?

I'm planning to use it mainly for gaming, little bit of writing and movie editing on the side (maybe...only minor stuff). Help with this is greatly appreciated:)

If you're going for gaming, then I suggest you build your own computer. Most retailers rip you off. :(

Try newegg. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom