• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isn't it about time Nintendo began to kiss 3rd party ***?

Damnit Xbox and PS2 receive all the good games and Nintendo only seem to get petty ports and left overs.

Yeah yeah 3rd parties support the GBA, big deal

Buy Capcom and Namco already.

Note to Sega

Give us some outrun and sega rally love too. I have a PS2 but i would also love to see those games on my console of choice.

A few A** kissing here and there wouldn't hurt you know? Swallow the god damn pride until next gen Iwata

norinrad21 said:
Damnit Xbox and PS2 receive all the good games and Nintendo only seem to get petty ports and left overs.

Yeah yeah 3rd parties support the GBA, big deal

Buy Capcom and Namco already.

Note to Sega

Give us some outrun and sega rally love too. I have a PS2 but i would also love to see those games on my console of choice.

A few A** kissing here and there wouldn't hurt you know? Swallow the god damn pride until next gen Iwata

urgh. Not another.

Drey1082

Mrbob said:
BUY A PS2.

And I think you have one, so, BUY THOSE GAMES YOU WANT 'CAUSE THEY ARE ON PS2.

haha, i like this post. If you have a ps2, and these third party games you want to play are on ps2, then WTF's the problem??

Mrbob said:
BUY A PS2.

And I think you have one, so, BUY THOSE GAMES YOU WANT 'CAUSE THEY ARE ON PS2.

:lol i bought the PS2 for ICO and Square games.

Whats wrong with wanting those games on my console of choice?

You have the PS2; buy the games for it. Whining on a message board isn't going to change the situation, especially at the end of the Gamecube's life.

FANBOYS. How brand loyalty can make you that stupid is beyond me.

Alcibiades

It's basically GTA or and the occasional game here or there.

Call of Duty, NFS: U 2, GoldenEye, Tony Hawk, all the major games are still on GCN. Burnout 3 is an EA exception pretty much.

If 3rd parties want to turn away profits, that's their thing. Look at Acclaim.

EA and Activision are perfectly happy competiting in 100% of the market. Why limit themselves. I can't see major games like Spiderman, Madden, Tony Hawk etc... not being on GCN because they'll still sell enough for some great profits, and no matter what system people buy next-gen, 3rd parties reaching GCN gamers this gen. are only going to start in better standing next-gen that 3rd parties that ignored the Cube.

Brofist

efralope said:
3rd parties reaching GCN gamers this gen. are only going to start in better standing next-gen that 3rd parties that ignored the Cube.

those two companies will reap all the rewards!!!

Nintendo should be COMPLETELY irrelevant next gen -- Sony has the Playstation stranglehold, and Microsoft made huge gains in US mindshare this time around. At best, the "Revolution" will see Gamecube level penetration, but I'm betting that beyond the 2M or so "hardcore" Nintendo fanbase, they probably LOST fans overall.

One down, one to go. Yay! ONE CONSOLE DREAM, HERE WE COME!

A little love here and there won't hurt them you know?

Its like they carry a grudge from the 8 and 16 bit days when we used to rule the world with an iron fist, its a baout time they let it go, its childish, They should cut the crap and bring their games back to Nintendo home consoles.

Playing a game on a PS2 and on a Nintendo system isn't the same thing

Drinky Crow said:
Nintendo should be COMPLETELY irrelevant next gen -- Sony has the Playstation stranglehold, and Microsoft made huge gains in US mindshare this time around. At best, the "Revolution" will see Gamecube level penetration, but I'm betting that beyond the 2M or so "hardcore" Nintendo fanbase, they probably LOST fans overall.

IAWTP.

Alcibiades

norinrad21 said:
A little love here and there won't hurt them you know?

Its like they carry a grudge from the 8 and 16 bit days when we used to rule the world with an iron fist, its a baout time they let it go, its childish, They should cut the crap and bring their games back to Nintendo home consoles.

Playing a game on a PS2 and on a Nintendo system isn't the same thing
carrying a grudge, that'd be SquareSoft betraying Nintendo for no apparent reason.

I don't see them holding a grudge with anybody. Basically, if a 3rd party want to make games, they let them (look at BMX XXX).

Look at Acclaim, and Midway isn't doing too hot right now either, they are basically living off Mortal Kombat.

Rockstar is the only major 3rd party still ignoring Cube right now.

Drinky Crow said:

I agree.

efralope said:
It's basically GTA or and the occasional game here or there.

Call of Duty, NFS: U 2, GoldenEye, Tony Hawk, all the major games are still on GCN. Burnout 3 is an EA exception pretty much.

If 3rd parties want to turn away profits, that's their thing. Look at Acclaim.

EA and Activision are perfectly happy competiting in 100% of the market. Why limit themselves. I can't see major games like Spiderman, Madden, Tony Hawk etc... not being on GCN because they'll still sell enough for some great profits, and no matter what system people buy next-gen, 3rd parties reaching GCN gamers this gen. are only going to start in better standing next-gen that 3rd parties that ignored the Cube.

:lol :lol :lol

yea, acclaim filed chapter 13 because they didn't support nintendo.

"occasional game here or there"

Brofist

I wouldn't count too much on Sega from here on out, RE4 will make or break Capcom's level of support, and Namco is still in Sony's back pocket outside a couple titles.

Alcibiades

woops, I thought you meant Nintendo was holding a grudge. Yeah, basically 3rd parties are, for stuff that happened back in the 8-bt days.

It's their loss though, they'll just dwindle in influence, importance, and profits as far as the 3rd party market is concerned.

akascream

Banned
I think 1st party software is a pretty profitable business model. If they can keep enough people buying thier console and software just for thier games, they won't go under. They ought to be building dev houses to fill up thier lineup.

I'm not sure I know anyone that buys Ninty hardware for 3rd party games (aside from the gameboy line perhaps).. yet somehow Nintendo still manages to compete with Sony's game division in terms of profits. Comparing Xbox profits to anything returns a div by 0 error.

Brofist

Drinky Crow said:

yep..that's about right

Alcibiades

HalfPastNoon said:

yea, acclaim filed chapter 13 because they didn't support nintendo.

"occasional game here or there"

look at last gen, Midway and Acclaim were riding Nintendo's console all the way to the bank, even edging EA and Activision in the N64 market at times.

Now that they've ignored GCN somewhat, EA and Activision are the true players. Selling millions of units a year on GCN is hard to ignore, no matter how much larger the PS2/XBox market is.

efralope said:
look at last gen, Midway and Acclaim were riding Nintendo's console all the way to the bank, even edging EA and Activision in the N64 market at times.

Now that they've ignored GCN somewhat, EA and Activision are the true players. Selling millions of units a year on GCN is hard to ignore, no matter how much larger the PS2/XBox market is.

Yes, lets ignore how atrocious Acclaim's games were this gen.

SantaC

Isn't it about time Nintendo began to kiss 3rd party ***?

Maybe Nintendo doesn't seem themselves in a critical situation as we do on this messageboard? If the revolution bombs, then MAYBE Nintendo will start to asskiss 3rd parties.

xsarien

daedsiluap
kpop100 said:
those two companies will reap all the rewards!!!

Kidding aside, and I'm not about to go look for where the NPD thread is, six of the ten best selling games on the Cube were 3rd party games. I'm fairly certain that's been a trend for awhile now.

Alcibiades

SolidSnakex said:
that's what people said about Acclaim's N64 games (w/ Turok exception). Remember Forsaken, Quarterback Club, Iggy's Reckin Balls, Shadownman etc...

mediocre/decent to bad reviews

bad games or not, they prospered)

SolidSnakex said:

wow, for the first time EVER, i agree with solidsnakex. you took the words out of my mouth. acclaim and midway have been developing pure and utter shit the past few years, and it finally caught up to them.

efralope, even with your assertion that the games were "shit' on the n64 too, yet remained profitable, did it ever occur to you that there ARE MORE OPTIONS to choose from today? hello microsoft.

SantaCruZer said:
Maybe Nintendo doesn't seem themselves in a critical situation as we do on this messageboard? If the revolution bombs, then MAYBE Nintendo will start to asskiss 3rd parties.

Even if Revolution sold only as little as Gamecube or Xbox, Nintendo would still make profit and continue making consoles. As long as people keep buying their first party games instead of 3rd party stuff they will be fine :D

DCX

DCX
I started a thread a while ago on the old GAF about having one platform/specs. Kinda like the DVD platform. All DVD players play DVDs but some have progressive scan, 5 disc, DVD Audio, mp3, JPEG support etc. Why wouldn't that work? Having one unified system and whoever wants to develop the hardware can. Add features if they want, but they can't go lower than the proposed specs. Everyone would become third party when it comes to software.

The hardware being upgradeable every 4-5 years...one unified internet plan...almost like having a school dress code, no more I'm better than you because you look like me too....the market would flourish due to no fanboyism....have Nintendo/Sega/MS/EA/Square-Enix develop the system specs, have 3-5 hardware manufactures ( Sony/Panasonic/MS/Nintendo/Sega ).... sell the hardware for like 399, software 19.99-59.99...online about 19.99 a month it would make a killing...it would never work due to the greedy nature of the videogame biz...but if the DVD market/PC market could do something like this it only seems like a logical step forward...i mean look at all the companies that have folded in past three years....it's not good for us the gamer.

Just being able to have Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Madden, GTA, Gran Turismo, HALO, etc under one platformplaying online against the entire gaming community...what a dream that would be.

DCX

Meier said:
How ironic is that coming from one of GAF's most notorious, long-standing Xbots. :lol
lol. But you dont see me whining about "why game this and that isnt on xbox". If Halo went to Nintendo console, I would shrug my shoulders and say hey shit happens, I have to buy a Nintendo console. :)

Alcibiades

there were quite a few options back then too, in fact, the number of smaller and/or obscure game releases has gone down IMO.

Microsoft has had a few hits (Halo and Project Gotham basically), but overall, most of their lineup has either done bad in sales or gotten mediocre reviews...

Opinions that games are better/worse this generation is purely that, and OPINION. Some would say we haven't matched 1998 yet this gen, and last Christmas didn't exactly light up the sky.

Facts about what happened last gen and this gen are that, FACTS. Acclaim support went down, Acclaim profits crashed. Acclaim was hot when a Nintendo platform was their lead for multiplatform games, then they went bankrupt when they stoped Nintendo development. Anything besides those facts are opinions. Quarterback Club vs. BMX XXX -> OPINION, Profitable vs. Bankrupt -> FACT.

efralope said:
that's what people said about Acclaim's N64 games (w/ Turok exception). Remember Forsaken, Quarterback Club, Iggy's Reckin Balls, Shadownman etc...

Except Turok was a pretty big exception. Acclaim's decline reallty started at the end of the 16 bit gen after they lost the console rights to Mortal Kombat. They were close to closing shop when the N64 launched. Without Turok they would have gone bankrupt years ago.

Their games were garbage, and it doesn't matter which landfill they chose.

Drinky Crow said:

"competition's good / it brings out the vital parts"

Oh, but you're too busy being the penultimate reverse-fanboy & knocking down peoples' dreams, or whatever it is you do.

efralope said:

Don't talk bad about Iggy, that game was mad slept on.

puck1337

efralope said:
woops, I thought you meant Nintendo was holding a grudge. Yeah, basically 3rd parties are, for stuff that happened back in the 8-bt days.

It's their loss though, they'll just dwindle in influence, importance, and profits as far as the 3rd party market is concerned.
You're insane if you think the 8-bit days still actually matter to today's publishers. Publishers and developers want a few things:

- A market willing to buy their games, the larger the better
- Hardware that isn't too limiting or oddball, especially in terms of RAM and storage media
- Low royalty rates
- Assorted perks, like co-paid advertising

They don't care about something that happened with fake mask ROM shortages 10-20 years ago, or that Tengen Tetris is somehow better than Nintendo's Tetris. They want money NOW, and they'll develop for whatever system(s) they think can as long as they're profitable doing so.

Let the grudge myth die.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Drinky Crow said:

Unless they pull something really spectacular out of their ass next gen, I think you're right. Nintendo still makes the best games, they're just few and far between now. Yeah, third party support is better than N64, but the fact that certain games make it to the other two and not GC looks so bad. They let almost all of their western support go, which really hurt them over here I think. I had to go get an XBOX for FPS and racing games, a corner N64 had secured. I bought a PS2 for Konami games. N64 had 2 Castlevanias, GBA has 3. MGS and Contra almost went to N64, and GCN gets what. A MGS remake that Nintendo had to develope and fund. GCN seems mainly like this quirky machine now. I guess that's the image they want though. They want to be seen as different. It will be interesting to see how Revolution does.

thorns

Banned
efralope said:
Facts about what happened last gen and this gen are that, FACTS. Acclaim support went down, Acclaim profits crashed. Acclaim was hot when a Nintendo platform was their lead for multiplatform games, then they went bankrupt when they stoped Nintendo development. Anything besides those facts are opinions. Quarterback Club vs. BMX XXX -> OPINION, Profitable vs. Bankrupt -> FACT.

Yes and just because two things happen sequentially one must be the cause / result of the other. Back to logic 101.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Project Midway said:
lol. But you dont see me whining about "why game this and that isnt on xbox". If Halo went to Nintendo console, I would shrug my shoulders and say hey shit happens, I have to buy a Nintendo console. :)

Man, I'm saving THIS thread. :p

Top Bottom