• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It just got real in Minnesota: 40% of the beer on shelves could be pulled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://finance-commerce.com/2011/07/millercoors-to-pull-beers-from-minnesota-due-to-shutdown/

Brewer disputes shutdown-related snafu claim

Add Minnesota’s beer supply to the casualties of the state government shutdown.

MillerCoors could pull its brands from the state within days, and some bar and restaurant owners could run out of alcoholic beverages — because they failed to get state licenses renewed before the July 1 start of the shutdown.

MillerCoors, the nation No. 2 brewer behind Anheuser-Busch, has days to get most of its beer brands out of Minnesota stores and bars, said Doug Neville, a spokesman for the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. That is because MillerCoors accidentally overpaid the $1,170 fee — $30 for each of 39 brands — that it needed to spend for its three-year beer brand registration license. The situation prevented the company from having the license renewed.

Company spokesman Julian Green says MillerCoors met state laws and submitted the correct payment by June 30. MillerCoors officials are considering all options, including legal ones, to continue selling in Minnesota, where the company holds 38 percent of the market, Green said.

Neville said there is nothing the Public Safety Department can do for the company. The 10 alcohol enforcement workers who handle licensing are laid off, along with more than 20,000 other state workers.

“There is nothing in the statute that allows us to make accommodation for anyone,” Neville said. The Public Safety Department has asked MillerCoors to submit plans for pulling its product from stores and bars in the state.

Brands affected include Miller High Life, Coors Light and Foster’s Lager Beer. (See below for details.) Not included on the list are brands from Chippewa Falls, Wis.-based Leinenkugel Brewing Co., which is part of MillerCoors but handles its registration separately.

Neville knew of no other beer, wine or liquor brand that is in the same predicament as MillerCoors. Anheuser-Busch is up for a Minnesota license renewal in October.

Liquor store owners may not be hurt per se if Miller brands go off the shelves. Jeremiah Cich, owner of the Liquor Barrel on Excelsior Boulevard in St. Louis Park, thinks customers who like Miller brands will be annoyed but will not drive to Wisconsin to get their beer. “They’ll probably switch to something else,” he said.

Out of the thousands of Minnesota bars and liquor stores, a few hundred are in a similar licensing pickle. Their alcohol supplies are dwindling because they were unable to get beer purchasing licenses renewed before the shutdown. Out of the 10,000 license-holders in the state, 300 have licenses that are expired, a number that will grow to more than 400 next month, Neville said.

Two weeks have now gone by since Gov. Mark Dayton, a DFLer, and the Republican-controlled state Legislature failed to reach an agreement on closing a two-year, $5 billion budget deficit, sparking the only state government shutdown under way in the country.

A list of brands affected.
Blue Moon Pale Moon

Coors Banquet

Coors Light

Coors Light 3.2

Foster’s Lager Beer

Foster’s Premium Ale

Grolsch Amber Ale

Grolsch Blonde Lager

Grolsch Light Lager

Grolsch Premium Lager

Hamm’s

Hamm’s Genuine Draft Style

Hamm’s Special Light

Henry Weinhard’s Dark

Henry Weinhard’s Hefeweizen

Henry Weinhard’s Pale Ale

Henry Weinhard’s Private Reserve

Icehouse Beer

Keystone Light Beer 3.2

Killians Irish Red 3.2

MGD Light 64

Mickey’s Ice Ale

Mickey’s Malt Liquor

Miller Genuine Draft

Miller High Life 12/16 oz. can

Miller High Life Ice

Miller High Life Light 12 oz. can

Miller Lite 3.2%

Miller Lite Beer

Milwaukee’s Best #1

Milwaukee’s Best Ice

Milwaukee’s Best Light #1 3.2

Molson Canadian

Molson Canadian Light

Molson Golden

Molson Ice

Molson XXX

Olde English 800 Malt Liquor

Sparks Light

I expect a rise in crime and meth usage.

Strike

30ig9wj.gif

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
They'll figure it out. Too much money at stake.

painey

Sometimes I hate this state. You know you can't even buy proper booze here on a Sunday?! its 2011 for Christs sake!!!

remnant

Banned
I know i'm going to be trolled as the evil libertarian/conservative/whatever but why exactly do we need Beer licenses? Seems kinda ridiculous that because a state can't get their shit together a valuable industry has to take a blow

remnant said:
I know i'm going to be trolled as the evil libertarian/conservative/whatever but why exactly do we need Beer licenses? Seems kinda ridiculous that because a state can't get their shit together a valuable industry has to take a blow
if the govt shuts down, who's gonna stop them from selling beer anyway?

Askani

How did overpaying cause them this issue? Because they sent more money then they were supposed to that held up getting a valid license? That's beyond stupid.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SolKane said:
I had no idea MillerCoors owned Blue Moon. Anyway, I thought the governor already capitulated?

They want it this way.

Amagon

You have my condolensces Minnesota. I will have some nice, soothing, frosty, Blue Moon tonite just for you guys.

Slayven

Askani said:
How did overpaying cause them this issue? Because they sent more money then they were supposed to that held up getting a valid license? That's beyond stupid.
Same state that elected Michele Bachmann.

butts

Yea fuck this shutdown, hopefully it is over soon :( Lots of people around here are getting royally screwed.

Machine

This will result in lost tax revenue for the state. Considering their budget crisis, you'd think they'd do everything necessary to fix the problem and keep that tax money coming in. I'm sure the shutdown doesn't apply to ALL state employees, so they should be able to shift someone over temporarily to deal with this.

SolKane

Dresden said:
Blue Moon is good, but I doubt Minnesota drank anything but the cheap(er) shit, anyways.

There's supposed to be a pretty strong microbrewery/craft brew community in the Twin Cities. But they're not affected by this either.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I still don't understand why people enjoy beer so much. If there is any beer that I can drink without feeling like it tastes like absolute shit, it's dark beer.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
So the government still has people employed to review their submitted plans to remove all their products from stores across the state, but they don't have people who can actually keep tax revenue coming in through alcohol sales? What, those people can't multitask?

lol government.

Evlar

Banned
Vilam said:
So the government still has people employed to review their submitted plans to remove all their products from stores across the state, but they don't have people who can actually keep tax revenue coming in through alcohol sales? What, those people can't multitask?

lol government.
The OP said:
The 10 alcohol enforcement workers who handle licensing are laid off, along with more than 20,000 other state workers.
Yeah, fuck those guys for being laid off.

Trojita said:
I still don't understand why people enjoy shit beer so much. If there is any beer that I can drink without feeling like it tastes like absolute shit, it's dark beer.

Fixed. You really gotta "taste the rainbow" so to speak with beers. I used to think it was all piss water till I tried some great house brews and foreign beers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom