• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MillerCoors trying to lure spirits fans with bourbon-like lager brew Miller Fortune

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
I might try it once just to see whether they can actually make a decent beer. Also, I'm thinking that you probably won't bring back the spirits crowd you lost with a beer made by MillerCoors. You might get your regular MillerCoors/Bud drinkers to try it out though.

Kentucky Bourbon Ale is really good, but is a beer you have to sip. That bourbon flavor really comes through and is pretty good but not a replacement for actual bourbon.

Ekdrm2d1

I live right on the border of Kentucky so it's everywhere here. It's a really crappy beer brewed by a company owned by Alltech (they make chemicals and, uh, horsefeed), avoid it at all costs.

lol. Damn!

Good information, I'll stay away. I'm not big on the "Aged in ___ barrels" phase either. Everybody's doing it!

We need a sour phase! It will never happen though, too much of a niche genre. A six-pack of Imperial Sour Red Ale for $9.99 would be dreamy.

Damaniel

Banned
6.9%? College parties just found their new beer of choice.

6.9% - high by macrobrew standards, but par for the course for a lot of micros out there. I'm guessing they're marketing this as a premium, upscale product, with a slightly higher price than normal Miller, so college students are probably going to stick to Natty Light (or whatever 36-pack case pisswater macro equivalent they have in their region).

I'm not a beer snob (I don't drink much beer at all actually, and I'm as happy with a bottle of Sam Adams Boston Lager as I am with any of our local micros), but I'd be willing to at least give this a try. I'm not going to drink it in a rocks glass, though - that's just silly talk.

Zeppu

41HyJjA.jpg

We need a sour phase! It will never happen though, too much of a niche genre. A six-pack of Imperial Sour Red Ale for $9.99 would be dreamy.

There is a big sour phase going on right now in North American craft. They're just time consuming and expensive to produce, so you're not gonna see a $9.99 six pack.

Ekdrm2d1

There is a big sour phase going on right now in North American craft. They're just time consuming and expensive to produce, so you're not gonna see a $9.99 six pack.

I'm in Texas and do not see a big sour phase. Go to the biggest liquor/beer store and there will be like a total of 7 sour beers. Mostly from Belgium (the usual Monks Cafe, Duchesse De Bourgogne, and the Petrus's take up half.)

I only see 2 or 3 American microbrewery's that do sour ales. New Belgium, Goose Island, and somebody else.

I want to try all of Cascade's lineup. That brewery is purely a sour company?
cascade-barrels.jpg

They have sour ales with blueberries, strawberries, cherries, apricot, etc. My brother brought me a bottle from Seattle since he's closer to the brewery. Storing it for a special time

But yeah, I've also heard it's expensive to make.

KingGondo

Banned
God, I love sour beers.

I doubt it'll ever reach the popularity that IPAs have, but I'd settle for having a wider variety to choose from for myself.

Ekdrm2d1

God, I love sour beers.

I doubt it'll ever reach the popularity that IPAs have, but I'd settle for having a wider variety to choose from for myself.

:thumbup:

Jester King has great sours. I freaking love sours.

That's right, forgot about them. Yeah, they make a few sours but honestly I wasn't impressed. Their Funk Metal was very interesting. A barrel aged sour stout!

Cheech

There's no such thing as objectively good and bad beers.

This is true, to a point.

If you enjoy Bud Light, good for you. But like McDonald's; it's bland beer, made cheaply, meant to appeal to the widest possible audience. Doesn't mean it's bad beer. But you shouldn't get defensive when people point out that objectively, there are much more interesting and better tasting beers out there to drink.

The other angle is the anti-competitive nature of the major brewers. They do everything then can to kill smaller breweries via control of distribution, to the point where they attempt to get state legislators to ban third party beer distributors. A tiny brewery is not going to have the production to justify having their own distribution, so they are forced to stay tiny and not expand too far. So you have a lot of people hung up on this kind of thing, and evangelize "craft" beer to a fault (think Beer Fanboys).

My home state, Michigan, has no such law against third party beer distribution. As a result, our beer industry has absolutely exploded over the last decade. Bell's, Founders, New Holland, etc., are all so pervasive that you are more likely to find one of their beers at a party or gathering than Miller or Bud. I guess you can think of us as a beer snob state, but in a lot of ways our former automotive pride has been replaced by how awesome our beers are.

I'm in Texas and do not see a big sour phase. Go to the biggest liquor/beer store and there will be like a total of 7 sour beers. Mostly from Belgium (the usual Monks Cafe, Duchesse De Bourgogne, and the Petrus's take up half.)

I only see 2 or 3 American microbrewery's that do sour ales. New Belgium, Goose Island, and somebody else.

I want to try all of Cascade's lineup. That brewery is purely a sour company?
cascade-barrels.jpg

They have sour ales with blueberries, strawberries, cherries, apricot, etc. My brother brought me a bottle from Seattle since he's closer to the brewery. Storing it for a special time

But yeah, I've also heard it's expensive to make.

I'm from Seattle and have been to the Barrel House in Portland a few times. Cascade needs to change it up, 95% of their sour beers are identical with some different fruit thrown in. They actually make a ton of other beers, but only their sours are bottled.

Lots of places in the PNW are doing sours. Ale Apothecary, 10 Barrel, Boneyard, Logsdons, Double Mountain, Deschutes, Crux, Hair of the Dog, The Commons, Epic Ales, Justice, Schooner Exact, Fremont, Snipes Mountain, De Garde, etc.

turnbuckle

This is true, to a point.

If you enjoy Bud Light, good for you. But like McDonald's; it's bland beer, made cheaply, meant to appeal to the widest possible audience. Doesn't mean it's bad beer. But you shouldn't get defensive when people point out that objectively, there are much more interesting and better tasting beers out there to drink.

The other angle is the anti-competitive nature of the major brewers. They do everything then can to kill smaller breweries via control of distribution, to the point where they attempt to get state legislators to ban third party beer distributors. A tiny brewery is not going to have the production to justify having their own distribution, so they are forced to stay tiny and not expand too far. So you have a lot of people hung up on this kind of thing, and evangelize "craft" beer to a fault (think Beer Fanboys).

My home state, Michigan, has no such law against third party beer distribution. As a result, our beer industry has absolutely exploded over the last decade. Bell's, Founders, New Holland, etc., are all so pervasive that you are more likely to find one of their beers at a party or gathering than Miller or Bud. I guess you can think of us as a beer snob state, but in a lot of ways our former automotive pride has been replaced by how awesome our beers are.

Yeah, the beer game in Michigan has really exploded in the last decade. Here in Kalamazoo I'm starting to wonder if the local brewery market is getting a little bit too saturated. Seems like a dozen small breweries have opened up within a 30 minute radius in the last year, and that's not including the expansion of Arcadia that's almost complete.

It wasn't too long ago that most bars around here would have a couple of Bell's beers, maybe a Founders, and then the usuals (Bud, Blue Moon, Miller, etc.). Now nearly every bar in town has a minimum of 20 taps (many with well over 30-40) including theaters and bowling alleys. More often than not there will be more craft brews at these places than macrobrews. It's pretty great.

Chris R

Local place had it on sale. Not terrible, but I'll never buy it again.

Given the choice between this and any other domestic, I'd pick this.

drspeedy

Yeah, the beer game in Michigan has really exploded in the last decade. Here in Kalamazoo I'm starting to wonder if the local brewery market is getting a little bit too saturated. Seems like a dozen small breweries have opened up within a 30 minute radius in the last year, and that's not including the expansion of Arcadia that's almost complete.

It wasn't too long ago that most bars around here would have a couple of Bell's beers, maybe a Founders, and then the usuals (Bud, Blue Moon, Miller, etc.). Now nearly every bar in town has a minimum of 20 taps (many with well over 30-40) including theaters and bowling alleys. More often than not there will be more craft brews at these places than macrobrews. It's pretty great.

As a recent San Diego transient and SoCal micro scene guy, Kzoo is doing it right. Bells, Gonzo, Arcadia, Dark Horse (Marshall, c'est la drive), Etc are awesome. This is the new scene, baby. All hail the third coast!

Back on topic, Miller Fortune is total fluff, rhfb nailed it. Bought this on sale, might finish the 6'er. Bah. For $1 more I can have real beer from a really great local brewery. Even the ABV can't save this one.

Anyone else try this yet?

[edit] stupid spell check- I meant "rhfb nailed it", not that the beer was good.

pj

Banned
I like when a product announcement spells out exactly how soullessly the product has been engineered to appeal to me

FLEABttn

Banned
I've tried it. Quick note - I am no beer aficionado, and I don't like IPAs. So with those caveats out of the way, it's an okay beer. It's not bad, but it's a but syrupy. It makes me want to try better versions of it, cause I do kind of like what it's getting at.

drspeedy

I've tried it. Quick note - I am no beer aficionado, and I don't like IPAs. So with those caveats out of the way, it's an okay beer. It's not bad, but it's a but syrupy. It makes me want to try better versions of it, cause I do kind of like what it's getting at.

I can see someone who's not into IPA's enjoying this. It's not bad for a domestic, and folks who enjoy American style beers will probably be surprised by it, maybe even try something outside the normal (gateway beer?)...

But at close to $8 a six pack, it's priced to high. Top quality micro brews are only a couple dollars more, while the standby 'chug-em' beers are way cheaper and get the job done just as well. It's far closer to competing with Natty than Stone, taste-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom