• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Jensen's Gray Matter |OT| Thread of pointing and clicking & sleight of hand

dream

Kiriku said:
I have some questions after finishing the game though:

So Frankenstein's bride is referring to Laura? I thought it was about Sam since she started working closely with David, but I guess Laura could make more sense.
And the black shadow in the background of that photo in the beginning, was that supposed to be Angela?
Also, Angela was the one who set the car on fire and killed Laura, right?
And did I just imagine things or was it David Styles who appeared at the gym in one of the cutscenes after the third test was done?

I'd almost bet money on it. Like I mentioned earlier, David got almost no closure other than realizing the apparition he saw in the house wasn't actually Laura. If anything, he should be even more obsessed with his experiments now that he knows he can contact Laura's spirit. Trying to channel that spirit into a body seems like the next step.

I think both the black shadow and the thing that killed Laura was actually the "fairy" that possessed Angela.

By the stack of weights, right? I thought it was David too because of the mask but I think it's more likely it was a member of the Daedalus Club.

Bebpo

Banned
dream said:
I'd almost bet money on it. Like I mentioned earlier, David got almost no closure other than realizing the apparition he saw in the house wasn't actually Laura. If anything, he should be even more obsessed with his experiments now that he knows he can contact Laura's spirit. Trying to channel that spirit into a body seems like the next step.

I think both the black shadow and the thing that killed Laura was actually the "fairy" that possessed Angela.

By the stack of weights, right? I thought it was David too because of the mask but I think it's more likely it was a member of the Daedalus Club.

The way I saw it, the "fairies" were just how Angela described the manifestations of her psychic powers that she couldn't control. Basically her subconscious would do things without the approval of her conscious. Which is probably how she accidentally killed her dad and how she accidentally killed Laura. The shadow face thing in the photo was her manifestation that tracked and killed Laura that night. You see it again when the first assistant shows up at the house and the face thing scares her off because subconsciously Angela doesn't want anyone to get close to Styles since she is so obsessed with him. You see it again on the track when it scares off Ed the first night of the experiment.

Also I'm pretty sure that was Styles at the weight room. After hearing about the incidents he probably wanted to check for himself and see if anything happened.

No idea about the Bride of Frankenstein thing. Tbh, I don't really pay attention to post-ending teasers since they're usually thrown in and don't have much relevance unless a sequel is made (and even then, the sequel may have nothing to do with the teaser.

taoofjord

I want to buy this digitally from that german website but I'm in the U.S. ... how can I do this legally since I have to input my address but it doesn't allow an american address?

Bebpo

Banned
taoofjord said:
I want to buy this digitally from that german website but I'm in the U.S. ... how can I do this legally since I have to input my address but it doesn't allow an american address?

Paypal.

Delodax

Bebpo said:
Anyone ever read JJ's novels she wrote after the GK series? Millennium Rising & Dante's Equation?

Thinking about reading them since I really enjoy all her game stories.

I bought at least one of those for my sister many years ago. Don't think she has read then but her husband has though. He is absolutely not a gamer in any sense but he still liked the books a lot. Guess it's worth a read if you are into "mysteries" :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Blarg. I don't know if I should make a UK account just to play a demo for a game that might never be released here. :lol

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
By the way, did we ever get super conclusive word that the German 360 version is region locked? I wonder if the UK release will be...

Edit: The 360 demo is really nice btw, beginning at the actual start of the game. The control pad UI is quality, apart from the semi-disastrous character movement :/

Also so bizarre that it defaults to such crazy underscan! Be sure to take it to 100% in graphics options before you start.

Aokage said:
By the way, did we ever get super conclusive word that the German 360 version is region locked? I wonder if the UK release will be...

Yes and I almost sure that the UK release will also be, since it is the same release actually.

Kimo

Neo Member
Nice a new point and click cant wait to try it out. Downloading demo right now.
Love the art style.

Aklamarth said:
So the controls on the 360 suck ? :(

Just got the 360 version last week. Point&Click games are really a pain in consoles, usually involving moving the cursor around the screen with the analog stick. This game tries something different and failed misarable. The interaction points in the scene are "navegated" using a kind of compass using the analog stick, but it is incredible lame and difficult to control. After spent 30 minutes just fighting the game interface, I found out that you can control the "compass" using the digital pad. Much more control. The interface still sucks, but it is playable.

Danj

To answer my own question, yes there is a PC demo :) the webpage is in german but the filename says "EFIGS" so I imagine it's multilanguage.

Boerseun

Banned
The non-German release is in a week's time. I received the German-language Collector's Edition for my birthday two days ago. Funnily enough it comes with complete English language support, in addition to the German, so I have no idea why the wider release needed an extra two months.

I'm playing with German voice and text. I've just started and am about an hour in. It's still too early for first impressions, but my attitude towards the game is favourable and I'm looking forward to experiencing more. As others have noted, graphics are slightly underwhelming, especially considering the stiff hardware requirements to run everything on full detail. Then again, no self-respecting adventure gamer plays these type of games for the graphics (though they can help).

On the Collector's Edition -- it is well worth it, in my opinion, if only for the physical audio CD which contains Robert Holmes's score and some songs.

I'll post more once I've progressed a bit further.

Volcynika

So the game's release in the US (for only the PC version) is this coming Tuesday. I sent an email to Viva Media (via Tech Support about it, they don't have a normal contact email) to ask them if the game was going to be on Steam (the press release did say it'd release in retail and digitally), but I have gotten no response yet.

Not sure if I want to wait and see if a Steam release is in the cards, or just order the boxed version. D:

Nasreddin

Boerseun said:
The non-German release is in a week's time. I received the German-language Collector's Edition for my birthday two days ago. Funnily enough it comes with complete English language support, in addition to the German, so I have no idea why the wider release needed an extra two months.

It's because of price politics. The German publisher is selling it for € 60 and the international publisher wanted to ask less money. Because the Germans were afraid of imports there was a delay of the international release.

Aokage

I already own the wonderful German PC collector's edition, but I'm deeply curious if the UK 360 version might be region free. I guess we'll find out in a few days...

Shame there's no US 360 version publisher yet, huh?

Volcynika

Anyone getting the US PC version? I ordered it from Amazon due to lack of any reply from Viva Media if it'll be on Steam (I'm not even sure if it'll be on any digital clients like Impulse/D2D/Steam, they've not said anything about it)

Should arrive Thursday.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Aokage said:
I already own the wonderful German PC collector's edition, but I'm deeply curious if the UK 360 version might be region free. I guess we'll find out in a few days...

Shame there's no US 360 version publisher yet, huh?

I imagine the people who would buy it on 360 in the US are very few, given the type of people who usually own 360s (not to stereotype or anything, but...) And honestly, point and clicks really are made for the PC (or the DS, I'll at least give it that.) I kind of regret getting the remakes of MI1&2 on PSN, since it was just awkward to play. I've heard the controls on the 360 version of Gray Matter are also quite bad.

That said, if a 360 version came out in the US I would buy it instantly. I really enjoyed the game and would like to support Jane Jensen as much as I can.

cj_iwakura

Just want to say that Volcynika's livestream may have sold me on this game.

The writing is solid, it looks great, and the music is phenomenal.

Saty

Eurogamer reviewed the game and gave it a 6. Not sure if the guy played it on pc or 360. Anyhow, it was an expected score in my eyes. I like how the british press is offended by the way an American designer portrays Oxford.

I just discovered this game. Seems like there is -zero- hope of the 360 version making it to the US. I guess I'll wait and see if gets uploaded to Steam, can't believe it's not on there yet.

It's on adventure shop, but I am kind of wary of ordering it there - their DRM is pretty annoying, and the website is less likely to survive long than steam is.

GhaleonQ

Saty said:
Eurogamer reviewed the game and gave it a 6. Not sure if the guy played it on pc or 360. Anyhow, it was an expected score in my eyes. I like how the british press is offended by the way an American designer portrays Oxford.

It seemed like Xbox 360 from his references, which is stupid. The review was reasonable, I guess, if completely affected by expectations. They've been rather consistent with their graphic adventure reviews, so I can't complain. ...Except for their equivalents in other genres getting softer reviews.

Volcynika

Got a reply from Viva Media about the game being on Steam or other digital clients:

Hey --,

Please excuse my delayed response. I don’t think it’ll be available for Steam but other digital clients such as Adventure Shop, IGN, and Gamersgate will have it available.

Regards,

Joaquin

Boo.

Aokage

Man, if none of the European 360 versions are region-free...I swear I'll buy a UK console just to get Gray Matter on my "games played" list. That's how much I dig this game and want to evangelize it.

Xander51

Shame to hear this probably won't be on Steam, but I'll probably pick it up from another digital store. I am still kind of surprised this game ever managed to release.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The game is great. If you enjoy point and click adventure games youll probably love this. It has the great locations, beautiful music, great story, good characters.

Really i think the average scores are coming from the fact that both the game has been in development forever and that traditional point and click games such as this arent that hot anymore with mainstream press.

Volcynika said:
Got a reply from Viva Media about the game being on Steam or other digital clients:

Boo.

How the hell do you not get your game on what is arguably the #1 digital distribution system for PC gaming? Seriously, I'm baffled...

epmode

Reluctant-Hero said:
How the hell do you not get your game on what is arguably the #1 digital distribution system for PC gaming? Seriously, I'm baffled...
My guess is that Valve thinks they're charging too much. That complaint has kept a bunch of other games off the service but I figured the name recognition would be enough in this case.

Ah, I have a few Gamersgate games already so I'll probably just get it there. ..even though I'd really like to sick with Steam.

protonion

I received it today from amazon uk. I played 2 hours straight and finished the first chapter.
It is really good! I enjoyed the characters and puzzles so far. It is sad that it will probably bomb hard...
Adventure topics are usually popular here. I hope neogaf does it's part at least.

Anyone care to explain bonus points to me. I had 9/14 at the end of the first chapter...I think they are just optional dialogues but I'm not sure...

Bebpo

Banned
protonion said:
Anyone care to explain bonus points to me. I had 9/14 at the end of the first chapter...I think they are just optional dialogues but I'm not sure...

Yeah, they're just all the optional dialogues that aren't essential to move the story along. So if you look at a picture on a wall that isn't need to advance anything you'll get a bonus point. Doesn't really mean anything and kind of silly. Not sure if there's any reason they included it besides as a way for the X360 version to have more achievements :p

Boerseun

Banned
I'm now on Chapter 4. I'm playing when I can, but that means progress is unfortunately slow. The game has strong puzzle design and the musical score is great. But at the same time there are some glaring weaknesses which keeps it from matching up to the top adventures currently out on the marketplace. All the same, it's been an interesting (though predictable) experience so far and I look forward to concluding the story.

megalowho

Just got around to playing some of this last night. I really don't like the voice actress for Samantha, at all.. it's casting a big negative impression over what otherwise feels like a pretty serviceable and interesting point and click adventure. Will keep playing, hope the character gets better over time.

Bebpo

Banned
megalowho said:
Just got around to playing some of this last night. I really don't like the voice actress for Samantha, at all.. it's casting a big negative impression over what otherwise feels like a pretty serviceable and interesting point and click adventure. Will keep playing, hope the character gets better over time.

She grows on you. At first I thought she was kind of bad too (along with her weirdo facial portrait). She gets better as she gets more comfortable with the role.

Some of the other voice acting is excellent though, especially David.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
So, I decided to pick this up for the PC (US boxed version from Amazon)... and I'm really enjoying it so far. Just beat chapter 3.

I'm another player who doesn't really have much experience with the genre, but the story and characters have really intrigued me so far. So I'll probably end up powering through as much of the game as I can over the weekend. If it keeps up its initial level of quality throughout, I've definitely become a fan of Jensen's work.

I picked this up as well from Adventure Shop and damn I love it. One of the prettiest adventure games of recent time. I'm eager to get through Chapter 3 and beyond!

I also can't stand that weirdo face portrait of Sam. All the characters talking portraits are strange, but the cutscene designs/drawings are really awesome and well done. I love the look of her on the cover!

harriet the spy said:
It's on adventure shop, but I am kind of wary of ordering it there - their DRM is pretty annoying, and the website is less likely to survive long than steam is.

They've been around for a while, and yes it uses TAGES but I've never had an issue with them and I own 6 or so games on there. If you are able to, just download all the setup files and back them up to a folder or DVD or whatever. That's what I've done with any download site that isn't Steam. But don't worry, they're legit and have some good offers you can't find elsewhere.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I picked this up as well from Adventure Shop and damn I love it. One of the prettiest adventure games of recent time. I'm eager to get through Chapter 3 and beyond!

I also can't stand that weirdo face portrait of Sam. All the characters talking portraits are strange, but the cutscene designs/drawings are really awesome and well done. I love the look of her on the cover!
Haha, yes. I had to turn off the subtitles because I found the portraits so distractingly off. D: It's just so jarring since the rest of the game is so pretty.

Top Bottom