• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

dani_dc

So I'm not sure if I posted about this before or not.

Is there any good resources to look for English speakings jobs in IT field?
I am currently doing an internship in Japan and I would like to find the possibility of a long-term job after it.

Macrotus

I am currently doing an internship in Japan and I would like to find the possibility of a long-term job after it.

I remember reading Rakuten started using English in their office a few years ago.
http://corp.rakuten.co.jp/careers/life/englishnization/

But I'm not sure if this is the "IT" job you're looking for.

Theodran

Have you checked out websites such as CareerCross.com? Alternatively, you can try talking to recruitment agencies like En World or JAC Recruitment. They should have agents that speak English and can help people who speak little Japanese in finding jobs.

Aizo

Banned

Check gaijinpot. I've seen a decent number of IT jobs on there, as well as tons of jobs in other fields.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I think I have mentioned this before but DEFINITELY hit the career fairs. They're excellent - I had first rounds with pretty much everyone (IBM, Bizreach, Bloomberg, Konami, Cave, etc)

I had pretty quick success there and when I got down to having 4 offers to chose from they'd all but one came from career fairs.

RM8

Good lord. So I've been hyping myself for Kyoto since the last time I posted, and now it turns out I might be able to relocate to Tokyo in January after all. Now I'm genuinely torn, lol. I'm still leaning towards Tokyo (I have relatives there, I guess it'd be easier to find a job, and I'm slightly more familiar with the city, plus I won't miss all the geekery I love), but Kyoto is indeed prettier and I was warming up to the idea of living in the smaller city, compared to Tokyo and Osaka :[ Plus the supposedly lower living costs.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Kyoto sucks dick. Forget the tea and onsen weebery and get on the anime and maid cafe weebery.

Darksol

Good lord. So I've been hyping myself for Kyoto since the last time I posted, and now it turns out I might be able to relocate to Tokyo in January after all. Now I'm genuinely torn, lol. I'm still leaning towards Tokyo (I have relatives there, I guess it'd be easier to find a job, and I'm slightly more familiar with the city, plus I won't miss all the geekery I love), but Kyoto is indeed prettier and I was warming up to the idea of living in the smaller city, compared to Tokyo and Osaka :[ Plus the supposedly lower living costs.

Why not live just outside Tokyo? Plenty of places in Saitama prefecture are affordable. My place is in Kawaguchi and the rent is only $500 a month. Well worth the 15ish minute train ride into Tokyo.

Kyoto sucks dick. Forget the tea and onsen weebery and get on the anime and maid cafe weebery.

You're back?

RM8

Why not live just outside Tokyo? Plenty of places in Saitama prefecture are affordable. My place is in Kawaguchi and the rent is only $500 a month. Well worth the 15ish minute train ride into Tokyo.
I really don't have that option. And I'd definitely prefer Kyoto or Tokyo :p I'm just nervous about jobs being scarce in Kyoto.

RM8

What kind of jobs are you looking for?
Something language related, I actually wanted to try the JET thing before planning to study in Japan, but there's no JET (or similar) support for Mexico. Regardless of any relocation plans, I've been wanting to move to languages career-wise for a while now. Here's how I think things would turn out:

- I don't find a job: I stay in Japan for 6 months - 1 year.
- I find a part time job: I can stay for longer, I think the student visa can be extended up to two years.
- I find a real job: I wouldn't mind staying for longer, really :p

I'd be okay with any of these outcomes, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love for the third option to happen! That's why I think it'd be best to sacrifice living in Kyoto for a bigger chance of finding a job in Tokyo.

Resilient

so for all you people living/working in Japan currently. What are your careers? English teachers? Finance? IT? Did you just move and hope for the best job wise or did you have shit lined up? And who here has worked a double life as a Family Mart clerk?

Aizo

Banned
Sounds like people don't love working at East West Consulting K.K., and I'm wondering if it's just because they can't take the stress.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Anyone who just moves and hopes it will work out is a fool. After all these years I've seen so many people not make it on that gamble. Of course some do, and end up just fine. A lot of people just bank on the fact they can teach English somewhere, and forget just how man other people have the exact same thought.Two times in the last decade I saw utter mayhem - Nova and 3.11. Foreigners in complete disarray, running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

To your question, I essentially groomed myself for a job in Japan (the choice for me back then was China or Japan) simply because I wanted to get out of America (I had a shitty background). I had JLPT1 and a relevant internship by the time I was 19, Sophia study and an ivy league degree when graduating. The mnc I applied for had a dedicated Japanese business service line that I aimed for. When I spoke to the partner there he said someone with my background would do better to go right to the source of our clients (the American side worked inbounds) and I agreed. So at 22 I was on an all expenses paid ticket to working in financial services in Tokyo. I lasted about 7 months there before our firm did a giant acquisition of smaller firms and I was basically sent around the country to set up a lot of their outbound systems. This is why I always list like 10 places where I've lived/worked over the years.

9 years later the firm asked me to come back to NYC to work as their international desk over here for the Japanese line. I'm about to finish my 3 year rotation back here and head back for good next summer, most likely with a promotion to partner this year or next. And if I ever had to live the life of a poor, it would be at Joyful. I've always wanted to work at a Joyful.

Sounds like people don't love working at East West Consulting K.K., and I'm wondering if it's just because they can't take the stress.

This is literally the next place English teachers that don't want to be English teachers anymore go. I have so many awesome stories from there. If your Japanese is point and you're a total asshole though, you will make bank. Serious fucking bank. Kid I knew was hiring gaijin interns to work for him because he couldn't keep up with all the calls. He had a gift.

Aizo

Banned
This is literally the next place English teachers that don't want to be English teachers anymore go. I have so many awesome stories from there. If your Japanese is point and you're a total asshole though, you will make bank. Serious fucking bank. Kid I knew was hiring gaijin interns to work for him because he couldn't keep up with all the calls. He had a gift.
Yeah, it sounds like being a backstabber gets you pretty far there.

urfe

so for all you people living/working in Japan currently. What are your careers? English teachers? Finance? IT? Did you just move and hope for the best job wise or did you have shit lined up? And who here has worked a double life as a Family Mart clerk?

University admin. I came at 21 with an English teaching job, did two jobs like that, got an MA, worked in business, and am in an HR gig now. Now 31.

I always do translation on the side, and am recently trying to get more work.

Shouldn't be too too hard getting an English teaching job set up before coming.

Resilient

Joyful fan post.

Sweet. Wasn't planning on gambling on a move to find a job; I'm not in a rush so I am likely gonna groom myself if I ever decide to do it. Seems the way to go. I know people who tried to pull that move in NYC and didn't pan out for them. The dude who did is making bank at the moment as an Industrial Designer tho.

Don't think I'd be handle the career switch into English teacher. Who are the peeps who are working hardcore hours?

bluethree

I was a CIR on JET and am currently unemployed, job search has been harder than I thought (though admittedly a large part of that is turning a lot of things down because I had a hard time accepting that post-JET paycut and I didn't necessarily want to go back to English teaching).

Really wish there were more jobs in Kyushu where I'm currently located...Fukuoka would be incredible to live in.

aldogoliath

Neo Member

Came thanks to the monbukagakusho scholarship to get a master degree. Now I work as a network engineer for a big national isp.

I always had it lined up, first wanted to go for game programming kind of job but when realizing I didn't have the necessary skills for it, I just learnt japanese for a long time back at home and then went for a major in telecomm.

Btw, I hope there's a gaf meetup soon or something. I'd be nice to meet other people around here. I've been around, in jp, for 4 years but never posted here :p

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

Came over as a Trading systems coder , then moved to BA and Delivery Manager. Next job after that started as Client Service Manager and now I'm Head of Support. (All finance)

Move wise I had a unique technical skill set for the time so I was able to secure the first job before leaving the UK - if you can I certainly would advise on this. Just moving here and going for it is probably going to be a nightmare

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And if I ever had to live the life of a poor, it would be at Joyful. I've always wanted to work at a Joyful.

The family restaurant?

But yeah, getting shit lined up in advance is the only surefire bet. This probably goes without saying, but get a skill that's marketable and learn how to speak, read, and write Japanese really well for best results.

Wubby

Got a new job so it looks like I'm going to be moving to Tochigi from Shizuoka prefecture in October.

Any recommendations for moving companies? Have quite a bit of stuff... If I was back in the states I'd grab a u-haul and do it all myself but don't think that's possible here.

Jake.

if i'm being straight up, i've always thought that i'm an expert is the most smug and arrogant dude that i've come across on gaf. saying that, he does have some good advice occasionally and i think he's pretty much spot on in this instance.

i 'moved' to japan in 2009 at 22yrs old on a WHV with the standard half-baked plan of 'teaching english for a year or two', no degree, $7000ish AUD and very limited japanese ability (prob JLPT3 at best, now i barely know how to say 'where is ____?'). i had 'educated' myself via the gaijinpot forums (sup glenski) and had a polish friend over there who moved a few years prior with a diploma in ceramic design (!) - how hard it could it be?

long story short, i was young, dumb, immature and had completely unrealistic expectations. within 2 or so weeks of arriving the brunt of the GFC hit, the exchange rate tanked and tons of foreigners were losing their jobs (+ tons of ex-nova staff were still scrambling around), both english teaching and otherwise. after about a month of applying for work and getting nowhere, i pretty much decided to give up the job search (this is where the immaturity came in) and just stay until the money ran out (3mths later, just after turning 23).

shortly before leaving, another person i became friends with told me that he could hook me up with an ALT job, but i declined because i thought it was too far away (again, immaturity) and started to miss home. i was also offered a part-time position at gaba (does this place still exist?), but it wouldn't have been enough money to live on, so i called it a day and went back to australia with my tail between my legs. with that, the japan 'dream' ended, although it was a hell of a learning experience.

anyway, i went back last year on vacation and had an incredible time. i look forward to my next trip over, whenever that will be.

edit: that polish friend is still there, somehow working at the same school and is now divorced with a kid. this seems to be a common story, although in his case he seems happier than ever haha.

When I originally came to Japan, I came with the idea that Id stay for 3 months or until I found work with a working holiday visa. If things didnt work out Id just go back and think of it as a vacation. Found work easily ( I knew to come before April). When I came Id say I had the very basics of Japanese down (N5 maybe) and I knew who not to work for (pre collapse Nova and their ilk). Met the right people to motivate me before coming and while I was there (Rivals to push me futher) and I got N2 now. I am not stopping there though.

I got a teacher license back home (turns out Im good at it). I am not rolling in dough and im not a badass internet baller but I make enough for my needs. I have growing savings and I dont really need to make sacrifices. I wanted to learn Japanese to play what I couldnt when I was younger. I can do that now and Im still learning.

Dont let people waving their e-cock around make you feel bad. people who brag about how awesome they are dont tell you about their difficulties. Find rivals, make logical decisions and enjoy your life.

You are allowed to *waste time* if you want to experience living in Japan. Everything has value if you learn from it.

If you are a very career oriented person with strict goals (eg 100 000 a year by 30 years old) you may be disapointed if you dont plan well though.

I'm an expert

if i'm being straight up, i've always thought that i'm an expert is the most smug and arrogant dude that i've come across on gaf. saying that, he does have some good advice occasionally and i think he's pretty much spot on in this instance.

(don't read this if you don't like me)

I'm smug and arrogant because 99% of the people on gaf are completely the same person. Mediocre and happy to be coasting through life with the least amount of effort. And everyone gets around in a circle and pats each other on the back. And if someone like me comes in with a dissenting opinion, it gets dismissed quickly as "out of touch" or a "stealth brag." If you're bored enough, compare my posts from 7 years ago to 3 years ago. 7 years ago I'd go with the politically correct nice guy method, and conversation would just halt. But if you come at people more aggressively and call them out, conversation blooms. I don't really mind if no one "likes" me, it's an anonymous internet forum. But I do think it's important for every conversation to have someone on the other side to check people.

Take yesterday's gun tragedy. If everyone just came in, said guns were bad, and nodded, that'd be it. But people who come in to defend guns and who don't want more gun regulations are the people who keep the conversation alive and relevant.

So over the years the same thing happened in all the Japanese threads I posted in. I'd be honest about shit, people would freak, and the people who weren't anime ALT video game dreamers would pm me instead of dealing with posting in the thread. I have thousands of pms that should have been forum posts but we just decided to avoid the drama. If people who were anime ALT video game dreamers were actually a hard working, driven, motivated, socially adept demographic, all would be good. But the majority genuinely are the personification of the common stereotypes we know and love. And incredibly lazy. And I like to be at least the one person in the community who comes out and says it.

Coming to Japan to teach English when you are not a qualified English teacher is UTTER FUCKING LAZINESS and I'll call you out on it al day every motherfuckin day. And banking on the idea that you can come to Japan with no actual skills and some how create a life by taking advantage of the shitty ESL system is something else I like to call out. That's all. People love to throw the "just let people live how they want to, let people be happy, who are you to judge how people live" argument at me but.. judging people is what we humans do. Every day. It is good to judge people. It's good to compare people. It's fun.

Resilient

Guys, thanks for all the feedback. Interesting to see the mindset of people who moved over, what they came to do, and what they achieved. Insightful, so thanks. Especially you expert, keeping it real as usual.

urfe

Since we are on the topic of work, are the hours and work culture in Japan as bad as I hear?

My last company unpaid overtime was expected. I'd usually work 9:45 to 8 or so. I thought it was bad, but there are some places which expect you to work until last train I hear. This was a business job, so making proposals for appointments needed to get done before the appointment.

My current company has many leaving with doing zero overtime, making for a 37.5 hour week. During busy months though, some do perhaps 50 hour weeks, or longer. This is more of an admin job with the yearly schedule not changin much. When I was new during the busy peak I was doing 9 to 8 daily for a few months though.

So it depends on the company and the job I suppose.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
(don't read this if you don't like me)

I'm smug and arrogant because 99% of the people on gaf are completely the same person. Mediocre and happy to be coasting through life with the least amount of effort. And everyone gets around in a circle and pats each other on the back. And if someone like me comes in with a dissenting opinion, it gets dismissed quickly as "out of touch" or a "stealth brag." If you're bored enough, compare my posts from 7 years ago to 3 years ago. 7 years ago I'd go with the politically correct nice guy method, and conversation would just halt. But if you come at people more aggressively and call them out, conversation blooms. I don't really mind if no one "likes" me, it's an anonymous internet forum. But I do think it's important for every conversation to have someone on the other side to check people.

Take yesterday's gun tragedy. If everyone just came in, said guns were bad, and nodded, that'd be it. But people who come in to defend guns and who don't want more gun regulations are the people who keep the conversation alive and relevant.

So over the years the same thing happened in all the Japanese threads I posted in. I'd be honest about shit, people would freak, and the people who weren't anime ALT video game dreamers would pm me instead of dealing with posting in the thread. I have thousands of pms that should have been forum posts but we just decided to avoid the drama. If people who were anime ALT video game dreamers were actually a hard working, driven, motivated, socially adept demographic, all would be good. But the majority genuinely are the personification of the common stereotypes we know and love. And incredibly lazy. And I like to be at least the one person in the community who comes out and says it.

Coming to Japan to teach English when you are not a qualified English teacher is UTTER FUCKING LAZINESS and I'll call you out on it al day every motherfuckin day. And banking on the idea that you can come to Japan with no actual skills and some how create a life by taking advantage of the shitty ESL system is something else I like to call out. That's all. People love to throw the "just let people live how they want to, let people be happy, who are you to judge how people live" argument at me but.. judging people is what we humans do. Every day. It is good to judge people. It's good to compare people. It's fun.

+1 from me for keeping it real.

Also, I'm totally stealing "anime ALT video game dreamers."

Since we are on the topic of work, are the hours and work culture in Japan as bad as I hear?

The general answer is "yes," but this is going to completely depend on the company. As a rule of thumb, the older and bigger the company is, the worse and more rigid the work hours and culture will be. Obviously there are exceptions, though.

I'm an expert

Hours are bad in any country. It's 10:27 in NYC right now. I just got home. Nothing to do with Japan. Everything to do with having a real job.

Also came back to a fuck ton of pms. See what I mean?

Thanks Zefah, you always been with me through the years, picking up the slack whenever I get unfairly banned.

urfe

You really seem devoted to the idea of explaining life to people. Sounds unhealthy, mang.

A certain portion of the population (the lazy whatevers) eat it up though. Ironic that those he bashes validate his attitude.

I'm going to be boring now and go for a walk along the Kanda river. :)

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
A certain portion of the population (the lazy whatevers) eat it up though. Ironic that those he bashes validate his attitude.

I'm going to be boring now and go for a walk along the Kanda river. :)

Beware of the mosquitoes.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Emigration 101 (going abroad without a real plan and hoping for the best is a bad idea) is now "keeping it real"?

Top Bottom