• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan retailers report big DS preorders

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/22/news_6111164.html

On preorders alone, the Nintendo DS is the third best-selling system in Japan this week.

TOKYO--The Nintendo DS is the third best-selling video game console for the week of October 11-17, Nikkei BP Consulting reports today. Of course, the machine isn't out until December 2 in Japan, but electronics retailers are including preorders for the system in their sales calculations.

First place in this week's chart went to Nintendo's other handheld, the Game Boy Advance SP. The standard PlayStation 2 hardware was ranked at second place, and fourth place was taken by preorders for the upcoming redesigned version of the PS2. The Nintendo GameCube came in at fifth place.

Not saying much. Of course, it would be ahead of everything but the GBA & PS2.

jarrod

Banned
Not bad... no doubt it'll sell out immediately whenever shipments are in for the rest of the year. Too bad Nintendo can't get more out in time for the holidays, they could probably double or triple sales if they could meet demand.

CrisKre

I really like the japanese ad campaign and brand image they pumped for DS.

For the people that live/know about japan: how appealing is this campaign over there?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
john tv said:
This is pretty interesting, considering nobody is actually taking preorders yet...

/me imagines people getting their preorders stolen as they walk out of the store.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
john tv said:
This is pretty interesting, considering nobody is actually taking preorders yet...

preorder arimasen...sumimasen....

How does Japan handle preorders? I'm only curious, I always thought it was like here where some places willoffer preorders the date of the system is announced.

That info could be taken from just a couple of retailers which may be taking preorders. I haven't seen one retailer in Tokyo that's doing so though.

snapty00

Banned
john tv said:
Holy shit, you were able to go to every retailer in Japan to ask if they were taking preorders? You're a quick little man.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Holy shit, you were able to go to every retailer in Japan to ask if they were taking preorders? You're a quick little man."

he has rocket roller skates!

Of course it's a sweeping statement, but given there are about... what?... 20 of us or so all actively looking across Tokyo for a place that preorders, that no where in Shibuya, Shinjuku, or (Akihabara from the big chains to the small stores) aren't taking preorders at all, then i'd suggest that all these preorders are either being made down in Kyoto at the nintenodo offices ... or something like that.

Actually - any of the Kansai guys have any luck? Dylan? TetsuoXB? RP?

ferricide

assuming gamespot didn't invent this out of thin air, i would imagine it's retailer orders in to nintendo, not preorders to consumers. it's just worded misleadingly?

ANSWERS KOHLER ANSWERS

WarPig

Why wouldn't retailers be taking pre-orders, anyway? There's a release date, there's a price, should be good to go. Or are they just expecting the usual Nintendo hardware launch allocation bullshit and waiting to see how many units they'll actually get?

DFS.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Why wouldn't retailers be taking pre-orders, anyway?"

It's odd - because with everything else i've preordered (usually from Shibuya's Tsutaya) you can usually do it waaay in advance. I'm off to Shibuya today after work, so i'll check out the situation again.

"There's a release date, there's a price, should be good to go. Or are they just expecting the usual Nintendo hardware launch allocation bullshit and waiting to see how many units they'll actually get?"

I have no idea.

Bebpo

Banned
They are definitely taking pre-orders.

I pre-ordered my DS and a few games (4700 each game) 2 days ago at Denkodo.

Top Bottom