• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Alright, heres a question thats probably been asked a thousand times. Osaka or Tokyo. (including greater areas)

I'm going to be studying abroad in the spring 2017 (most likely) and I'm either going to be going to SophiaU in Tokyo or Kansai Gaidai in Hirakata outside Osaka. It'll be for 4 months, I might stay a couple weeks after the program ends, after that I think I'm going to go to Seoul for a week before coming home.

Can anyone give some recommendations/pros&cons on Tokyo vs Osaka? Any truth to Osaka people being friendlier? Always seemed kinda like conjecture to me. I have money, I'm not TOO concerned about Tokyo being more expensive. For both Tokyo and Osaka I'm including their greater areas of Kyoto and Fuji etc respectively. I'll be there for 4 months so I want to go to whichever will give me the most stuff to do to keep me occupied for all that time and I'm also interested in developing some good relationships with some japanese people. I will probably at some point visit both so I need to take that into account if for example, Kyoto only needs a day. Thanks guys.

Darksol

Can anyone give some recommendations/pros&cons on Tokyo vs Osaka? Any truth to Osaka people being friendlier? Always seemed kinda like conjecture to me.

Nah, it's definitely true.

Tokyo people aren't cold, but you often have to initiate the first contact. In Osaka all sorts of people would just randomly try and make conversation with me. They are more laid back and you can see it in how they dress and act.

Gacha-pin

I think it's about proxies as people buying stuff for you kind, not the getting around ip blocking kind.

Yeah

The one my friend used to get tickets for the MAX 20th Anniversary is wanting a 4500 yen fee for the fanclub alone (on top of the normal membership fees). The fanclub doesn't even send out anything by snail mail anymore--it's completely online :(

My bad. Give me your cc info. I'll buy tickets for you and buy something for me :p

Oh no. What happened?
The express pass was kind of a waste, one of the rides I had wasn't open, the two Harry Potter ones I could get on as they would lock the restraints in place due to my size :/ and I know that's my fault not Universal but it really put a dampener on what should have been a great day. I kinda wanted today to be a great end to the trip, instead it ended up falling flat.

Final meal was shit as well, really average Sushi, should have gotten more of those Osaka pancake things I'd had every day that I'm blanking on the name of instead.

SKINNER!

Banned
The express pass was kind of a waste, one of the rides I had wasn't open, the two Harry Potter ones I could get on as they would lock the restraints in place due to my size :/ and I know that's my fault not Universal but it really put a dampener on what should have been a great day. I kinda wanted today to be a great end to the trip, instead it ended up falling flat.

Final meal was shit as well, really average Sushi, should have gotten more of those Osaka pancake things I'd had every day that I'm blanking on the name of instead.

Jurassic Park still not open?! wow, they sure are taking their sweet time with that one.

Jurassic Park still not open?! wow, they sure are taking their sweet time with that one.
2016 apparently, I got to do the river ride though. It was some Space thing I had on my pass that was closed.

The guy at the Flight of the Hippogriff was super helpful, he gave me a token to use on another ride, which was awesome. However the 2 I tried it on, Back to the Future and Terminator wouldn't accept it because of Halloween or something. I'd already used my express ass slots for those rides on 2 others so yay that.

Oh well, what's done is done, I'm feeling super run down at the moment and have a flight to Singapore on the morning, time for sleep.

SKINNER!

Banned
2016 apparently, I got to do the river ride though. It was some Space thing I had on my pass that was closed.

Space Fantasy was closed :O ooh shame. The lines for that were super short when I went back in June. Went on it like 3 times in a row. Surprisingly good!

you didn't miss much with the T2 show.

hwalker84

I have a friend that's in Japan a few days. He's primarily in Yokohama. Any restaurant recommendations. He was also looking for a childrens toy store. Never went to Yokohama on my trips.

So, from little over one day in Osaka, I feel that the people here are much friendlier than in Tokyo. People in Tokyo are friendly, but generally keep to themselves. People in Osaka seem much more outgoing and have had a bunch of people come up to me to chat and ask if I'm enjoying myself.

So, from little over one day in Osaka, I feel that the people here are much friendlier than in Tokyo. People in Tokyo are friendly, but generally keep to themselves. People in Osaka seem much more outgoing and have had a bunch of people come up to me to chat and ask if I'm enjoying myself.

I've heard the same about the folk in Osaka. Makes me want to spend more time there.

*looks at Mike"

;p

I've heard the same about the folk in Osaka. Makes me want to spend more time there.

*looks at Mike"

;p

:p

Have some pics of 'make your own fresh fish nokkedon' from the Furukawa fish market in Aomori instead:
CRbYvuQWcAA0ykp.jpg:large

Guide on how the system works

CRbYt8oXIAAOXkA.jpg:large

Got my rice for 1 ticket

CRbYvfdWcAELTvV.jpg:large

Exchange tickets for pieces of fish

CRbYukpWEAAOgqM.jpg:large

The end result

Neverism

Bosskey Productions
Wife and I are planning a brief detour to Japan as part of our vacation in Korea next spring. Current destination is Fukuoka and I am very excited to finally visit Japan!

I'm looking forward to the food but I'd also like any recommendations for must-see things while I'm there (gonna be there for two days or so). Thanks!

Best is by bullet train, but expensive.

Cost-wise, the overnight bus is for a shoestring budget, as mentioned.

Something in-between shinkansen and bus in cost is airplane. If you go with one of the low cost national airlines it can be pretty cheap.

Hmm, I feel like it'd be such a shame to not take the train. I might just pay to take the train one way, but take a flight back to Tokyo.

Any recommendations for activities in Yokohama/Kawasaki? The weather in Tokyo sucks today, so we're not checking out Mt. Takao as originally planned.

Zatoth

Hmm, I feel like it'd be such a shame to not take the train. I might just pay to take the train one way, but take a flight back to Tokyo.

Any recommendations for activities in Yokohama/Kawasaki? The weather in Tokyo sucks today, so we're not checking out Mt. Takao as originally planned.

Oh you are also going back to Tokyo? In that case getting a 7-day JR Pass may be a good option. Costs about the same as the trip from Tokyo to Osaka and back. You can also use it on some lines in Osaka and for the trip to Yokohama.

You could also use it to go from Osaka to Kyoto for example, if you are planning to do that.

KillGore

So I'm going to buy the wi-fi device but I want to send it to the hotel.

c9sDWUT.png

I know this seems like a stupid question but do I put my name? I just don't want the device to get lost. Do I have to inform the hotel in advance or not? Is it trustworthy?

Darksol

c9sDWUT.png

I know this seems like a stupid question but do I put my name? I just don't want the device to get lost. Do I have to inform the hotel in advance or not? Is it trustworthy?

What do you mean how do you put your name? Just put your last name under "given name" and your first name under "first name". Ideally it should match what you have written in your passport and the name you reserved the hotel under. The rest of the form is pretty standard.

You can inform the hotel ahead of time if you like, but it's probably unecessary unless you're sending it there waaaaaaaaaaay before your check in. Most hotels in Japan are used to getting Wi-Fi devices or luggage sent ahead of check-in by various services. When you check in they'll just give you your device at the same time. It's very trustworthy. I've done it like that before, as I imagine many other GAF members have.

KillGore

What do you mean how do you put your name? Just put your last name under "given name" and your first name under "first name". Ideally it should match what you have written in your passport and the name you reserved the hotel under. The rest of the form is pretty standard.

You can inform the hotel ahead of time if you like, but it's probably unecessary unless you're sending it there waaaaaaaaaaay before your check in. Most hotels in Japan are used to getting Wi-Fi devices or luggage sent ahead of check-in by various services. When you check in they'll just give you your device at the same time. It's very trustworthy. I've done it like that before, as I imagine many other GAF members have.

Yeah sorry, it seems pretty obvious that I have to put my name down but since I've never done this before, I needed to be 100% sure this is how it worked. Thanks!

Resilient

c9sDWUT.png

why you gotta have a spoiler avatar dude?? :(

Stuart444

Why not rent from Global Advanced Comm directly? The ones provided by Japan Experience are just provided by GAC.

For me, that website looks simpler to deal with than the quick look I had on GACs website. But if GACs website is the better deal, I'll just go through them I guess.

KillGore

why you gotta have a spoiler avatar dude?? :(

Shit, sorry bro :( hmm, let me see if I can change it to something else (related to OP). Didn't think there were a lot of people just watching the anime.

Looks nice enough. Go for it :)

Thank you!

Why not rent from Global Advanced Comm directly? The ones provided by Japan Experience are just provided by GAC.

I'll check it out. Only reason I was going to buy it with them was because I bought my JR Pass with them and like to stay with trustworthy sites.

I've gone the GAC twice and had no problems. You should get it delivered to the airport as well, its super easy to lick up there and then you know you'll have internet access right away.

KillGore

Where can I buy the robot restaurant tickets? I saw a few sites but just want to make sure I'm picking the right one.

I've gone the GAC twice and had no problems. You should get it delivered to the airport as well, its super easy to lick up there and then you know you'll have internet access right away.

I arrive at 10:20pm and I'm afraid I'll miss the last train (12am) if I do the line to pick up my wi-fi device.

I've done GAC once and ToCoo now twice. ToCoo is much much cheaper. Had no problems with either.

Where can I buy the robot restaurant tickets? I saw a few sites but just want to make sure I'm picking the right one.

Veltra is the cheapest I've found:
http://www.veltra.com/en/asia/japan/tokyo/a/109436

We all got tickets from there when we had the meetup.

Osaka and Fukuoka are my favorite cities in my two trips to Japan.
I wish I had of spent more time in Osaka, I was just getting it by the end and if not for Universal I would of had a great time.
In hindsight for this trip I should have skipped the 5 days in Singapore and had an extra 2 days in Nagoya and 3 in Osaka.
Only like 3 days out from Japan and I'm missing it so much :(

Zoe

Damn, my friend who still has a Japanese credit card helped me join the fan club, but the tickets can only be paid for with a postal bank transfer. Why does money in Japan have to be so difficult?? :(

Top Bottom