• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Hey TravelGAF, my wife and I are finally planning to visit Japan towards the end of November. Mostly staying in Tokyo for a week with a hotel near Tokyo Station. We're both excited!

Anyways, I've been figuring out on planning an overnight trip to the My. Fuji/Hakone area, been looking at the 2-day sightseeing tours with a stay at a ryokan offered on Japanican.com...anyone have experience with them (or any of their tour packages in general)?

http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/list/?kw=Hotel+in+Hakone

http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/F870_/

These packages seem nice in that you get to experience a little bit of everything (Mt. Fuji, ryokan, onsen, FOOD, shinkansen).

Thanks in advance!

1) Any English websites that are like Yelp for Japanese city restaurant reviews (particularly Tokyo)? I realize Yelp itself has some Japan content but it's not as well populated compared to U.S. cities

www.tabelog.com

Anyways, I've been figuring out on planning an overnight trip to the My. Fuji/Hakone area, been looking at the 2-day sightseeing tours with a stay at a ryokan offered on Japanican.com...anyone have experience with them (or any of their tour packages in general)?

These packages seem nice in that you get to experience a little bit of everything (Mt. Fuji, ryokan, onsen, FOOD, shinkansen).

I've been on the Ghibli museum tour they offered once (since all other tickets were sold out). Went fine.

Read the full itenary so you know what you sign up for though. You have about 50 minutes at Mt. Fuji and 1 hour in Hakone with those trips. If you decide to go ahead with it, then I'd recommend the tour where you stay in Hakone since you then got an extra day on your own to explore the area.

Piggus

My gf and I really had fun with the photo booths in Japan. But especially when this popped up:

mYTq95w.jpg

ror

I'll work on an album of pics at some point. We loved our two weeks in Japan but it went by way too fast!

Quick

Banned
So, I'm beginning to try and plan out my trip, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed on setting things up. I'm thinking about approaching a travel agent.

Did any of you guys go to an agent, and was the agent able to actually help you out?

KillGore

Not sure if posted but.

Priceline.com has Economy Class Roundtrip Flight w/ Delta Airlines from Dallas (DFW), Philadelphia (PHL), Phoenix (PHX) or Miami (MIA) to Tokyo (NRT) for $670. Thanks Jbh98

Please Note: Commencement of outbound travel from Dallas (DFW), Philadelphia (PHL), Phoenix (PHX), or Miami (MIA) to Tokyo (NRT) shall be between October 2 - July 2, 2016. There may also be connection possibilities from other cities, but at higher fares.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8131440-delta-airlines-670-rt-tokyo-from-dallas-philadelphia-phoenix-miami

KillGore

...Oh god, Philadelphia to Tokyo round trip is 670 bucks
No
Not again
I won't get sucked in again

KillGore just wrecking me even more

I paid more for my tickets to Osaka, and that included 2 days total of layover in freaking Doha Airport in Qatar

Do we have any idea how long this lasts?

I doubt those seats will last but I could be wrong. Airline prices fluctuate so drastically, it sometimes mindfucks me how one seat is cheap at 8am but by 2pm it's almost double the price.

Anyways

62639855.jpg

Hey TravelGAF, my wife and I are finally planning to visit Japan towards the end of November. Mostly staying in Tokyo for a week with a hotel near Tokyo Station. We're both excited!

http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/list/?kw=Hotel+in+Hakone

http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/F870_/

Thanks in advance!

I used to work there! The site and the tours are run by JTB, which is the biggest travel company in Japan. The tours in general get good feedback, and the Fuji-Hakone tours are probably the most popular. If you're the backpacking type who wants to explore and get lost on your own then you do definitely need to pay attention to the itinerary and realize that the guided tours portion is going to be pretty structured. But if it's hitting multiple places you were interested in then it could work out well for you, and the second day being free should give you a chance to explore.

Read the full itenary so you know what you sign up for though. You have about 50 minutes at Mt. Fuji and 1 hour in Hakone with those trips. If you decide to go ahead with it, then I'd recommend the tour where you stay in Hakone since you then got an extra day on your own to explore the area.

I used to work there! The site and the tours are run by JTB, which is the biggest travel company in Japan. The tours in general get good feedback, and the Fuji-Hakone tours are probably the most popular. If you're the backpacking type who wants to explore and get lost on your own then you do definitely need to pay attention to the itinerary and realize that the guided tours portion is going to be pretty structured. But if it's hitting multiple places you were interested in then it could work out well for you, and the second day being free should give you a chance to explore.

Thanks for the info Mike and Bryan! The thing I'm most concerned about from looking at the itineraries are the parts where they tell you to either get to the hotel or a train station 'on your own,' especially after looking up places on Google maps and finding them to be kinda far from each other (like way beyond walking distance lol). I've been e-mailing Japanican about it and they've been pretty helpful and informative clarifying them. My wife and I are planning to book one of these overnight trips soon.

Zatoth

Booked my flight last week. Will arrive on the 25th of December and leave on the 11th of January.

Is it really "impossible" to get a reservation for the Shinkansen around New Year? Would like to stay in Tokyo for New Year and leave on the 2nd of January and go somewhere else for a few days.

Is there a chance to make a reservation or do you really have to do that months before? Not sure yet where I will go. Been in the Kyoto/Osaka area before. So I may go north this time. Only have been to Sapporo.

Also, can any GAFfers recommend any sushi joints near Tokyo Station that are hidden gems worth checking out?
(except Jiro which seems next to impossible to get a reservation ='( lol )

All I can really find with a quick Google search is Sushi Dai in the Tsukiji Fish Market...anything else?

That 670$ flight deal to Tokyo didn't even last the night.

If I had slept on it, I would've missed it. Thank god for impulse decisions!

So time for my second trip. I went to Osaka/Nara last go round, skipped Kyoto because I ran myself ragged. Time for some Tokyo tips!

That 670$ flight deal to Tokyo didn't even last the night.

If I had slept on it, I would've missed it. Thank god for impulse decisions!

So time for my second trip. I went to Osaka/Nara last go round, skipped Kyoto because I ran myself ragged. Time for some Tokyo tips!

Cool. When are you going?

Piggus

Got my japan ticket. Good deal. Was gonna use air china. Delta for cheaper is way better.

I used Air China and while the planes were fine, having to stop and go through the ridiculous security in Beijing was awful. One of the most unfriendly places I've ever been full of people trying to swindle you of your money at every opportunity. I regret not paying the extra $200 and going on Singapore.

Ayumi

Does anyone know how bad the average customs queue for foreigners is at Haneda compared to Narita? I have a relative from Europe visiting, so I wanted to know what to expect when picking her up.

Darksol

Does anyone know how bad the average customs queue for foreigners is at Haneda compared to Narita? I have a relative from Europe visiting, so I wanted to know what to expect when picking her up.

I haven't been through Narita so I can't compare them. I can say however, that Haneda had me through the airport in record time, and customs practically waved me through. I spent like 2 minutes in a line, dude looked at my passport, and that was about the extent of it.

Ayumi

I haven't been through Narita so I can't compare them. I can say however, that Haneda had me through the airport in record time, and customs practically waved me through. I spent like 2 minutes in a line, dude looked at my passport, and that was about the extent of it.
Oh I see, then I guess even on a bad day it wouldn't be as bad as Narita. Thanks!

Danneee

TokyoGAF help!

I'm looking for Puyo Puyo Tetris for PS4 but I just can't find it!

I've been through Akihabara a couple of times the last days in search for it and all the shops I've been to with PS4 games have a very small selection.

Am I looking in the wrong places or is it just hard to find anything PS4 that isn't just newer releases?

I used Air China and while the planes were fine, having to stop and go through the ridiculous security in Beijing was awful. One of the most unfriendly places I've ever been full of people trying to swindle you of your money at every opportunity. I regret not paying the extra $200 and going on Singapore.

Yea, i have read some bad reviews about the service and the layover. Was still gonna do it cause of price. Thank goodness for the delta deal.

TokyoGAF help!

I've been through Akihabara a couple of times the last days in search for it and all the shops I've been to with PS4 games have a very small selection.

Am I looking in the wrong places or is it just hard to find anything PS4 that isn't just newer releases?

Try Book Off?

Just arrived at Narita on my way to Bangkok. Sup, JapanGAF?

We're Japan Travel GAF, not Japan GAF ;P

You staying for some time or just on a layover?

jourdy

Hi everyone,

just thought I'd ask here:

What's a better place to visit? Tokyo or Osaka? Planning to go mid-November.
Can you guys recommend any places to visit?

Background: Have been to Japan 2 times, once in Tokyo then took the shinkansen to Osaka (December 2013), and then once again to Tokyo (April 2015) during Sakura season. We would like to visit provinces/forests this time. We have been to Kyoto and Nara, and we enjoyed those areas, especially Nara with the reindeers.

I'd like to take photos before our wedding (I proposed to my GF in Mt Fuji back in 2013)

Being 6 foot 4 and having to spend 12 hours on planes had not been fun :/

That said the skyline view flying in at night was worth

IM HERE

Hopefully immigration doesn't take too long, need sleep

I'm back to the grind now and have finally started to feel somewhat awake again. I took almost 1000 photos so I thought it might be best if post in little bursts, both for my own sanity and for your sakes in case you are only interested in parts of my trip. I'll start with the first couple days. I've already posted these to the Shenmue thread but you guys might not have seen them yet.

The full gallery is here. Here's some samples.

The first couple days, I visited Ryo Hazuki's hometown of Yokosuka. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a Shenmue fan or affiliated with the US Navy since it's out of the way and there's nothing particularly special about it outside of those two things. I had a good time though.

This is a shrine in an electronics/cable shop in Akihabara

Stuart444

So looking into booking my last hotel in Tokyo now for my trip, Looking for suggestions, ideally ones listed on expedia (booked my last two through there, figured having them all on the one site will make things easier for me to keep organized lol)

It's only for 2 nights (Sat 9th/Sun 10th Apr).

So yeah,any suggestions?

edit: how's this place? Good location?

https://www.expedia.co.uk/Tokyo-Hotels-Cerulean-Tower-Tokyu-Hotel.h661016.Hotel-Information

(ie how easy is it to get around, it's only for a few nights and I'll likely be rushing around doing any last minute stuff/shopping)

edit 2: or what about this?

https://www.expedia.co.uk/Tokyo-Hotels-Celestine-Hotel.h1177680.Hotel-Information

Yes I hate making decisions but this is the last major thing I need to do before January/February for my trip.

N0VAM0D

So, this is my first post in here. Nice to meet you, JapanTravelGAF!

Not too long ago Jetstar had this great sale on flights to Japan, and I spontaneously bought myself a ticket! I'm going to be in Japan from May 10th until June 21st. I can't wait, I've been wanting to go for something like 9 years now.

I'll probably be posting in here a lot just looking for general advice and such. I'm currently planning where I'm actually going to be going and just sussing out AirBnB and Couchsurfing. I'll be travelling solo, and I'm pretty okay with having quite a loosely planned schedule. I would also really love to meet some new people while I'm away, and just really dive into what the country has to offer.

Any suggestions on locations? I sort of want to spend a lot of time in Tokyo because I wanna indulge in it. The things I'm most interested in doing are probably eating (from the absolute best to the hidden gems), going to bars/nightclubs, local gigs, sake/tea tasting, sussing out graphic design studios, aquarium, arcades, shopping, taking photos of nice architecture... and a lot of other things... sightseeing is a bit of a no-brainer! I think I would really like to visit Kyoto and Osaka and perhaps embark on some day trips from there.

TokyoGAF help!

The gigantic Sofmap didn't have it?

k2y91

I arrived at Haneda yesterday around 11pm and the customs queue was like 15 minutes. I guess it depends on how many flights were arriving at that time

I arrived at Haneda yesterday around 11pm and the customs queue was like 15 minutes. I guess it depends on how many flights were arriving at that time
Hey that's the same time I got in ^_^
Was really quick getting through last night

So first day in Tokyo, just woke up, I know near zero Japanese, my legs are killing me from th flight, time to head out and explore

So first day in Tokyo, just woke up, I know near zero Japanese, my legs are killing me from th flight, time to head out and explore

Have fun man!

how's this place? Good location?

https://www.expedia.co.uk/Tokyo-Hotels-Cerulean-Tower-Tokyu-Hotel.h661016.Hotel-Information

(ie how easy is it to get around, it's only for a few nights and I'll likely be rushing around doing any last minute stuff/shopping)

Of those two, that one is in the better location for getting around.

So looking into booking my last hotel in Tokyo now for my trip, Looking for suggestions, ideally ones listed on expedia (booked my last two through there, figured having them all on the one site will make things easier for me to keep organized lol)

It's only for 2 nights (Sat 9th/Sun 10th Apr).

So yeah,any suggestions?

edit: how's this place? Good location?

edit 2: or what about this?

https://www.expedia.co.uk/Tokyo-Hotels-Celestine-Hotel.h1177680.Hotel-Information

Yes I hate making decisions but this is the last major thing I need to do before January/February for my trip.

Cerulean Tower is a pretty well known hotel, in a good location. It's right next to one of the major train stations on the major Tokyo train line. If the price works definitely go with it.

Try Book Off?

We're Japan Travel GAF, not Japan GAF ;P

You staying for some time or just on a layover?

Just a couple hours' layover. In Bangkok now. That's why I didn't disturb actual JapanGAF - just you travel peeps.

Had some tsukemen ramen in the airport. Not bad, but can't match the place I used to go to in Setagaya. Damn good ramen.

Stuart444

Of those two, that one is in the better location for getting around.

Cerulean Tower is a pretty well known hotel, in a good location. It's right next to one of the major train stations on the major Tokyo train line. If the price works definitely go with it.

Thanks you two.

It's a little more expensive than I would have wanted to spend but it was a sale and it looked like a good location (also the listing says it's a City view room which sounds nice haha) so what the hell.

Still, that's all 3 hotels booked now along with my flights. Only other things I have to worry about are stuff I need to pay for while still here (Ghibli tickets, JR Pass, stuff like that) which will be done around Jan/Feb or something like that lol.

This thread has been way helpful already :D

More pictures.

Early in my trip, we made our way to a few arcades and then that Saturday we went to Tokyo Game Show. Overall, I'm glad I went but it's not an experience I would repeat. There were far too many people and the lines to see anything were just too long. I kept going to the Yakuza booth only to be told that the line was full. Gallery is here.

Near our hotel was the Ikebukuro Penguin Bar.

Luigi's Mansion was a lot of fun.

After TGS, we went to Harajuku for the first time. By the way guys, one of my favorite restaurants in Tokyo is Tonkatsu Shotaro on Takeshita Dori. The curry there is fantastic.

Danneee

Anyone know where to find the Star Wars Pod arcade in Tokyo? Namco Nagano maybe??

Edit: never mind, found it at Sega Joypolis. It wasn't very good though..

There are a few game shops around Nakano Broadway you can check if it doesn't show up in Akiba.

I'll check tomorrow!

Will check sofmap too!

Top Bottom