• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

PillarEN

There is a good chance I'll be spending two weeks in Fukuoka in August. I understand it's a standout city. Anybody have some experience with this city and what are some must do things? Or perhaps the little things that one might easily overlook if they are not in the know? I was last in Japan 8 years ago and mostly in the Kansai region so Fukuoka is completely unknown to me.

Ok, so far I got...

Super Mario Kart
F-Zero
Chronic Trigger
FF4
Mario Paint

All for $20

I found a Super Famicom today for $60 with no controllers or cables. I feel like I can find better deal so I will hold out a bit.

Thats awesome. I imported pretty much all you've described for about triple your price :) on that note, I'm headed to Tokyo and Kyoto soon, anyone with suggestions, including yourself, on where to get good retro gaming gear? Specifcallly looking for a dreamcast, AV Famicom, and some super famicom games.

And is B-mobile still the top choice for mobile data there? 2 weeks, iphone (LTE) Canada.

Nista

So, who here is gonna be in Tokyo on September 17th or 18th (aka TGS public days) again?

We are thinking about traveling to Japan for a couple of weeks in Sept, and hopefully catch the beginning of TGS. I think we'd rather go on the less crowded business days if it's feasible for US devs to get passes?

Guys, I have brown skin and a beard. I'm getting looks, not dirty looks, but looks none the less. Should I shave? Or am I just over thinking things?

probably overthinking. i'm brown (no beard but sexy stubble) and nobody gave a shit about me, even when i was walking off the beaten path in fukuoka.

We are thinking about traveling to Japan for a couple of weeks in Sept, and hopefully catch the beginning of TGS. I think we'd rather go on the less crowded business days if it's feasible for US devs to get passes?

TGS is interesting but it's kind of frustrating. We kept getting swept up in a tide of people and the lines are too long to see anything interesting. It's also the only place my wife was ever inappropriately grabbed on our trips. If you can get in on the business days definitely go then. Judging by their site from last year, it looks like it should be available to you.

I'm out in Aizu right now. Came on a Super Gameboy, DQ6, and SF2 Turbo for $3! I'm on a roll.

The thrift stores are so awesome here.

Afterwords I went to Bandai Asahi national park. Absolutely beautiful flowers are in bloom right now. Gorgeous lake.

exhume

I had a very similar itinerary when I first visited. I loved the village of Shirakawa Go and the surrounding villages. Rent a car in Takayama to go there by yourself and in your own time.

I'd also recommend a fantastic onsen ryokan called Hirayu no Mori close to the Kamikochi National Park.

Thanks for the tip, Shirakawa Go looks amazing!
Alas no onsen for me, I have waay too many tattoos, lol.

Aside from Super Potato and Mandarake, there's Friends, three separate Trader, a really cramped retro game store on the east side of the main street, and at least one Book Off. And I think even LAOX and Yodobashi might stock some old games (Tsutaya at Shibuya Crossing had Famicom carts!). Finding a SFC in Akihabara should not be a problem.

SKINNER!

Banned
Aside from Super Potato and Mandarake, there's Friends, three separate Trader, a really cramped retro game store on the east side of the main street, and at least one Book Off. And I think even LAOX and Yodobashi might stock some old games (Tsutaya at Shibuya Crossing had Famicom carts!). Finding a SFC in Akihabara should not be a problem.

Cheers for the list of stores. I was just about to circle stores on an akiba map to find a famicom av (and a cheap famicom disk system) so you've saved me the hassle ;)

In relation to buying video games in Japan, I found this useful article: http://www.retrocollect.com/Guides/...es-in-japan-without-knowing-the-language.html

Might come in handy for some folk :)

Cheers for the list of stores. I was just about to circle stores on an akiba map to find a famicom av (and a cheap famicom disk system) so you've saved me the hassle ;)

In relation to buying video games in Japan, I found this useful article: http://www.retrocollect.com/Guides/...es-in-japan-without-knowing-the-language.html

Might come in handy for some folk :)

Can you read Japanese at all? When I was there last, one of the Traders had a lot of Twin Famicoms for really cheap but they all had belt or other problems. It was the same with the FDS I saw as well. If you can't read, you might end up with a system that needs repair or doesn't work so be careful. I ended up getting a Twin Famicom for a decent price from Super Potato. It's pretty amazing.

SKINNER!

Banned
Can you read Japanese at all?

Nope I can't sadly. Gonna obviously need to do some homework and make sure I don't buy a broken one :X

Would you recommend the Twin Famicom over the Famicom AV & FDS? Only reason I'm getting that is because it's got AV support and it's smaller/nicer than other NES/Famicom systems. I always heard that Super Potato sold things overpriced too. Was going to head to the smaller places in Akiba. If you have any tips on where to find the best and cheapest stuff then I'm all ears :)

I like the Twin because it's all in one unit. It also comes with composite out which is a plus so you don't have to try to go out of your way to get an AV Famicom. Super Potato can be expensive but I think I spent about 80 for my Twin Famicom. I'm not sure if that's too much but it was the best I could find for one I didn't have to fix. It's definitely a lot cheaper than on ebay. Keep in mind the exchange rate was a lot better when I was there.

As for the places to go, Akihabara isn't that big and I think you have a list of all the places already. The two things to think about are because Akihabara is a honeypot for people like us it will always be more expensive than if you find the same thing at a random place outside of it. Also, filthy gaijin who go there and by cart-fulls of random games are seriously dwindling the supplies of retro Japanese games. Each store has it's own character and you'll be able to pick out what you like just by peeking around.

Also, if you see anything rare that you must have, don't go somewhere else to think about it. It will be gone when you return.

SKINNER!

Banned
Cool nice one :) I'll keep my eye out for a Twin Famicom then. Thing is, the everdrive can play FDS games without it so the only reason I'd want an FDS is mostly for aesthetics. Famicom AVs are going for around £80 (excluding custom tax charges) here via ebay straight from Japan. If I can find it for considerably less than that then I'll be happy :) Even if it's cheaper at Super Potato. I'll just pick it up and then go upstairs and play some Street Fighter II :D

Hey folks,

I'll be heading to Tokyo next Sunday and I was wondering if there's any place to buy the Asia versions (english subs) of PS4 games in Akihabara, or if all I'll be finding are the JP versions.

In terms of retro-gaming, any "must visit" places (besides Super Potato)? Sorry if this has been asked, but the thread is quite long and I'm still trying to catch up on it!

Many thanks in advance.

I think one of the Traders specializes in foreign games but you won't have great luck. For your second question, you don't have to look far SiegriedFM and Super Nintendo Chalmers have you covered:

I would go to all of them but make sure you find Friends. It's towards the edge of Akihabara, off the main road slightly and up some stairs. You definitely won't find it accidentally.

Man, ultimate knock on wood here... but I've been here for 8 days now, and it hasn't rained once! On top of that it's been almost perfect temperature the whole time.

Tokyo, Fukushima, and Aizu so far.

Talk about lucky. 1 week down, 3 to go.

I'm in Kanazawa right take, this town is straight up perfect. So lovely.

Nista

Cool, it does seem like business days should be feasible for both of us. I think our little studio might have a booth in the indie games section this year, so I'd like to go be supportive. But my Japanese is majorly rusty so I wouldn't be much good explaining anything to the public.

Got our tickets this morning so we're going to fly into Tokyo from 9/8 - 10/2. Good long chunk of time, so I'd love any suggestions of major areas to visit that have interesting stuff going on in Sept besides Tokyo?

I see that ANA has a discount fare promotion for domestic flights down to Kyushu, so I was thinking we could go down there for a week or so in the middle of the trip, maybe rent a car to see some of the countryside. Or would it be better to get one of the 14 day JR passes and take trains progressively westward and see Kansai region stuff in between? Those passes are pretty pricey for 2 people though, almost as much as our airfare. :/

The only other time I stayed in Japan I was in Osaka and never used any JR trains at all (just subways, local trains and buses) so I have no experience using that sort of pass.

If you're gonna do some serious traveling, the JR Pass is a God send. Been all over the place. In my case it's already been cheaper than buying tickets individually, and I still have the majority of my trip left.

Or would it be better to get one of the 14 day JR passes and take trains progressively westward and see Kansai region stuff in between? Those passes are pretty pricey for 2 people though, almost as much as our airfare. :/

As a rule of thumb, I suggest not bothering with the JR pass unless you're going to be doing 2 or more return trips on a bullet train per week of the pass, else it's probably going to be cheaper to pay for the tickets separately. If you're heading west and out of Tokyo, you'll find JR lines less common, too, so factor that in and perhaps take a look at what lines you want to use in advance to make sure you don't spend all that money and have to pay further for the use of private lines.

On a different topic, it's not quite a photo album but I've made another video out of the footage I took on my last trip (we were there for most of February and a bit of March). It's not a very serious thing, but it might give you folks some ideas for your next trip :)

I see that ANA has a discount fare promotion for domestic flights down to Kyushu, so I was thinking we could go down there for a week or so in the middle of the trip, maybe rent a car to see some of the countryside. Or would it be better to get one of the 14 day JR passes and take trains progressively westward and see Kansai region stuff in between? Those passes are pretty pricey for 2 people though, almost as much as our airfare. :/

Well, depends on what you want to do. Either just check out Kyushu or also check out some of the cites between Tokyo and Kyushu. And if you're only gonna spend a week, then why not just get a 7 day pass?

Oh, and you could probably fly even cheaper with Peach or Jetstar.

As a rule of thumb, I suggest not bothering with the JR pass unless you're going to be doing 2 or more return trips on a bullet train per week of the pass, else it's probably going to be cheaper to pay for the tickets separately. If you're heading west and out of Tokyo, you'll find JR lines less common, too, so factor that in and perhaps take a look at what lines you want to use in advance to make sure you don't spend all that money and have to pay further for the use of private lines.

Just going to Fukuoka and back by Shinkansen costs about 44000 JPY on it's own, and about 58000 if one goes all the way to Kagoshima :p

Guys, I have 5 nights that are still open. I have to figure out where to go.

So, my starting off point will be Miyajima/Hiroshima.

Once I'm done there, not quite sure what do to.

Some locations going around in my head are...

Osaka
Koyasan
Nara
Hakone
Nara
Kamakura
Nagasaki

I'm tempted to go to Nagasaki just to check out that hotel with the Dinosaur receptionist, but not sure it's worth making such a long trip for that. Especially since most of what I see about Nagasaki doesn't appeal to me too much.

I gotta research all the locations more, but yeah. I really wanna go to Koyasankinda, but it kinda seems its like it's a bit hard to get to as well, ideally I'll use my JR Pass for all traveling.

Also considering staying an extra night in Miyajima.

Of those places, where would you go, and for how many nights? I'm also open to other suggestions.

exhume

Just picked this up :D
IETBYyX.jpg

My boyfriend doesn't know about the trip yet, I'm thinking of proposing to him when I hand this over to him! Off topic, how do any guys in here feel about a girl proposing to them? Would it be cute or just weird? Is a trip to Japan as good as a diamond ring?

I'm hammering out the fine points of our trip, because I'm obsessive as hell and like everything to be planned to the minute. Y'all let me know how this sounds and if I'm missing any crucial sights!
27/10 - Day 1, Tokyo:
Land at 6:25 am, take a shower at the airport if possible, pick up rail passes and pocket wifi, jump on the train to the city.
Hotel check-in isn't until 2pm, so check out Asakusa/Akihabara/Ochanomizu (BF is a guitar gear nerd). Maybe walk across to the Pokémon Centre Skytree whilst in Asakusa.
Return to hotel and nap if necessary, then check out Shinjuku in the evening. Hit up the Square Enix Artnia store which is around the corner from our hotel.

28/10 - Day 2, Nikko national park (guided tour which goes all day)
Night-time, maybe check out a local band if we can find one. I hear Shinjuku is a hotspot for visual kei!

29/10 - Day 3, Tokyo: Check out Shibuya & Harajuku (including Meiji Jingu and Yoyogi Park). Visit Ikebukuro in the afternoon/evening to suss the Evangelion store and Pokémon Centre Megatokyo.

30/10 - Day 4, Tokyo/Takayama: Hopefully hang out with my friend who lives locally!
Leave Tokyo around 4:00pm and take the shinkansen to Takayama.

31/10 - Day 5, Takayama: Morning markets & Hida Folk Village. (Would a more rural place like this do anything for Halloween?)

01/11 - Day 6, Takayama/Kanazawa: Sanmachi Suji old town & just wander around.
Get on the shinkansen for Kanazawa by 1:00pm.
Afternoon/night time, wander around Kanazawa freely.

02/11 - Day 7, Kanazawa: Kenrokuen Garden & 21st Century Museum of Modern Art (so psyched for these!!)

03/11 - Day 8, Kyoto (leave Kanazawa early): This is actually Culture Day, so I'm hoping that won't negatively affect anything. Hoping to check out the Manga Museum and Shimogamo Shrine. There's a ramen place near the shrine called Mamezen Ramen which I really want to check out, but I don't know how to go about making a booking.

04/11 - Day 9, Kyoto: Get up early to check out Fushimi Inari shrine, also hoping to fit in Kiyomizu-dera & Jishu Jinja and a stroll through Higashiyama. Check out the Pokémon Centre Kyoto on the way back (are you sensing a theme yet?) which is right by the hotel.
Night time, I'm hoping some of the autumn evening illuminations have begun by now, so walk to a few temples & shrines to look at those. (Chion-in, Shoren-in, & Kodai-ji are on the list for that)

05/11 - Day 10, Kyoto: Arashiyama (bamboo forest & Tenryu-ji temple). Maybe take the Sagano tourist train if we can get tickets.
Night time, check out any illuminated temples we missed from last night.

06/11 - Day 11, Kyoto/Koyasan: Maybe squeeze in a visit to Tofuku-ji or Kinkaku-ji, but these sound like the most touristy spots of all? Jump on the train to Koyasan and aim to arrive by mid-afternoon.
Staying at Ekoin Shukubo which should be a fun experience!! The prospect of shared bathrooms worries me though, we both have close to bodysuit amounts of tattoos.

07/11 - Day 12, Koyasan/Osaka: Explore Koyasan (I have no idea what to actually look at here? I'm hoping someone in the town can direct us!)
Travel to Osaka once we're done. If it's not too late, visit that final Pokémon centre!

08/11 - Day 13, Osaka: I've got a hankering to visit Senko-ji temple, which sounds like it'll be good fun. Horikoshi-Jinja is on the list for today too, though I can't remember why (so many shrines and temples, they are starting to get mixed up in my head!). Spend the rest of the day and evening exploring Dotonbori/Denden town :D

09/11 - Day 14, Osaka/Airport: Check out anything we feel like we've missed in Osaka, then leave to the airport around 2pm. :(
WOW sorry about the wall of text! If you actually read all of that, you are my new best friend!

One thing's got me worried, I just opened up the rail pass package and there's a big warning on them that I only have until September 12 to exchange them for the passes. We aren't leaving until October 26th, did my travel agent mess up?

My boyfriend doesn't know about the trip yet, I'm thinking of proposing to him when I hand this over to him! Off topic, how do any guys in here feel about a girl proposing to them? Would it be cute or just weird? Is a trip to Japan as good as a diamond ring?

I think this sounds awesome but I'm weird when it comes to this sort of thing. You know him better than us though. If you think it would be okay, then it probably is. Good luck. I can't say much about your itinerary because I only know Tokyo and my wife and I don't believe in planning our trips.

I'm hammering out the fine points of our trip, because I'm obsessive as hell and like everything to be planned to the minute. Y'all let me know how this sounds and if I'm missing any crucial sights!

One thing's got me worried, I just opened up the rail pass package and there's a big warning on them that I only have until September 12 to exchange them for the passes. We aren't leaving until October 26th, did my travel agent mess up?

Looks like you're going to see a lot of temples and shrines at least ;p

The first day plans might be a bit optimistic depending on how long the immigration and JR Pass lines are (if you're exchanging it right there and then) at the airport and which airport you're arriving at (Narita is much further away from Tokyo than Haneda). In a worst case scenario you'd only be in Tokyo proper around 11-12.

Kinkakuji might have a lot of tourists, but so will a lot of the other temples and shrines you're going to. That's how it is if you're only going to the mostly famous ones.

And your travel agent fucked up. If you're going at the end of October then you're not even supposed to get a JR Pass exchange order yet. First possible date you're allowed to get one is late July. You'll need to have it fixed.

Off topic, how do any guys in here feel about a girl proposing to them? Would it be cute or just weird? Is a trip to Japan as good as a diamond ring?

Hey, it's just me but if the person I loved went all that way to make a proposal that special, I'd have a hard time saying no! Very romantic, wish you both the best :)

On the topic of Pokemon though, give the Pokemon Expo Gym a look. It might not be of interest if you're just after merch, but I figure it's worth pointing out!

WOW sorry about the wall of text! If you actually read all of that, you are my new best friend!
When you go to Nikko, you absolutely should stay at The Teddy Bear House. Absolutely fantastic Bed and Breakfast. Highly recommend it, and you're a 10 minute walk from Kirufuri Falls, which is drop dead breath taking. Ultimate location for a proposal.

Also, for Kanazawa, sacrifice a day elsewhere, and stay for two nights. Spend a morning/afternoon taking a day trip to Shirokawa. Fuckin super awesome. Between Shirokawa and Kanazawa, you'll have 2 amazing days at a leisure pace. The museum, garden, and samurai house in Kanazawa are ultra legit.
In Kanazawa, absolutely make sure you eat at Itaru. Their specialty is the local fish grilled, a bit pricey, but super worth it. It's also really close to the 21st Century Art Museum.

TRUST ME on my suggestions. I just the last few days doing them. Highlight of the trip so far.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Hi there guys, I'm starting to plan my Japan trip-- which will be about a month at the end of September. It's pretty far off but I want to buy my tickets now and have a rough outline setup.

Currently I was thinking of focusing about two weeks on Kendo and another two weeks travelling.

A few things:
1. What's a good resource to learn some basic Japanese? I can understand about 40% (goes to 70% if it's kendo-related) of what people say but can't really speak and can't write at all. Is it pointless to try to learn some reading now?

2. My two kendo weeks will probably be in Kyoto. Practices are every day, generally in the evening-- is it possible to go out into Nara/Osaka to sight-see for a while and then come back on the same day or is the travelling overhead too large? If so, is there enough to do in Kyoto for two weeks (mornings and afternoons, anyway)?

3. I want to go hiking for a while, I have some knee issues (kendo again) but should be fine with most difficulties. However I'm not sure I want to go out alone, how easy is it to find fellow travellers?

4. Any recommendations for any rural place I spend two-three days in, mainly in order to "get away"-- meaning quiet but with modest routes to go on walks on (a bit of urban but mostly not)? Places without cell reception a plus.

EDIT: Oh yeah-- important note, I don't think I'll be into going to more than a handful of shrines. Especially alone.

EDIT 2: Anything I should buy ahead of time or can I get everything there? Data-only SIM card, for instance.

Any other tips would be appreciated, especially for lone travellers (I'll probably be alone for the whole duration but someone might join me for the last two weeks) and where to stay in Kyoto.

Is it pointless to try to learn some reading now?

Don't bite off more than you can chew with this, as you'll put yourself off. However, I would recommend trying to learn katakana in the meantime. Learn five at a time, draw them on paper while speaking them, and do some drills (Real Kana for iOS is good for drills). I am shite at languages and managed to learn it in two weeks, so just stick with it. Katakana is useful because you'll be able (for the most part) to understand what it is you're reading, as katakana is typically used for borrowed words. Useful in particular for reading some ingredients on menus/food packaging.

Anything I should buy ahead of time or can I get everything there? Data-only SIM card, for instance.

You can use services like this to get your SIM sent to the airport, you just need to pick it up when you arrive. It's not 24-hour though, so make sure the in-airport post office is open when you land before doing this.

Fritz

Hi there guys, I'm starting to plan my Japan trip-- which will be about a month at the end of September. It's pretty far off but I want to buy my tickets now and have a rough outline setup.

Currently I was thinking of focusing about two weeks on Kendo and another two weeks travelling.

A few things:
1. What's a good resource to learn some basic Japanese? I can understand about 40% (goes to 70% if it's kendo-related) of what people say but can't really speak and can't write at all. Is it pointless to try to learn some reading now?

2. My two kendo weeks will probably be in Kyoto. Practices are every day, generally in the evening-- is it possible to go out into Nara/Osaka to sight-see for a while and then come back on the same day or is the travelling overhead too large? If so, is there enough to do in Kyoto for two weeks (mornings and afternoons, anyway)?

3. I want to go hiking for a while, I have some knee issues (kendo again) but should be fine with most difficulties. However I'm not sure I want to go out alone, how easy is it to find fellow travellers?

4. Any recommendations for any rural place I spend two-three days in, mainly in order to "get away"-- meaning quiet but with modest routes to go on walks on (a bit of urban but mostly not)? Places without cell reception a plus.

EDIT: Oh yeah-- important note, I don't think I'll be into going to more than a handful of shrines. Especially alone.

EDIT 2: Anything I should buy ahead of time or can I get everything there? Data-only SIM card, for instance.

Any other tips would be appreciated, especially for lone travellers (I'll probably be alone for the whole duration but someone might join me for the last two weeks) and where to stay in Kyoto.

We're planing a meetup on October 1st. That's your top priority and you should plan everything around that ;p

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
We're planing a meetup on October 1st. That's your top priority and you should plan everything around that ;p

Lol. Where at? I'm assuming Tokyo?
Then maybe if I start there. Especially if any of you are locals that know can introduce me to dojos around there :p

Fritz

Lol. Where at? I'm assuming Tokyo?
Then maybe if I start there. Especially if any of you are locals that know can introduce me to dojos around there :p

Oh yeah, Tokyo, forgot that. It's still a couple of weeks but I believe the plan so far was to go up the Government Building and hit Golden Gai afterwards.

So. I leave at the end of the month and I still don't know what I'm doing, as the people I was going to meet up with still haven't decided what they want to do.

I probably need to start making hotel reservations like really soon. I'll most likely spend most days in tokyo, osaka, kyoto, and possibly hiroshima. Anyone have any good suggestions for cheap hotels to look for? Or what area I should try to stay in?

Going to Nara/Osaka should be fine. Will only take 1.5-2.5 hours to get there and back to Kyoto.

Easiest way to find fellow travellers would be if you're staying at a hostel I'd guess. But people usually got their own plans as well you know.

Well, you could always go to Hakone or one of the other onsen towns. Depends on how rural you actually want to get. :p

If you're staying for a whole 4 weeks I'd think a WiFi rental device would be better to get than a data sim.

So. I leave at the end of the month and I still don't know what I'm doing, as the people I was going to meet up with still haven't decided what they want to do.

I probably need to start making hotel reservations like really soon. I'll most likely spend most days in tokyo, osaka, kyoto, and possibly hiroshima. Anyone have any good suggestions for cheap hotels to look for? Or what area I should try to stay in?

Well, a lot of the cheap hotels would be fully booked by now. But check for anywhere near the Yamanote train line in Tokyo, near Namba or Umeda/Osaka Station in Osaka and somewhere near Kyoto Station or Shijo Kawaramachi in Kyoto for easy access to different transport options.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Going to Nara/Osaka should be fine. Will only take 1.5-2.5 hours to get there and back to Kyoto.

Easiest way to find fellow travellers would be if you're staying at a hostel I'd guess. But people usually got their own plans as well you know.

Well, you could always go to Hakone or one of the other onsen towns. Depends on how rural you actually want to get. :p

If you're staying for a whole 4 weeks I'd think a WiFi rental device would be better to get than a data sim.

Obviously I wasn't counting on my captivating personality swaying people from their plans and making them join me. On that topic, it looks like I won't be joined by my sister unless I wait a whole year.
I realise this is a very personal thing, and doesn't really apply specifically to Japan (though you might have more trouble connecting to randoms over there), what do you guys think of travelling alone? While generally I enjoy it and the freedoms it provides but a lot of attractions lose their luster when you're alone.

I was thinking of going to Hakone anyway, didn't seem that rural though.

Why is a WiFi rental better? When I'm in Europe I always just buy a local data SIM, they're cheap and can easily last a month of non-heavy usage.

Why is a WiFi rental better? When I'm in Europe I always just buy a local data SIM, they're cheap and can easily last a month of non-heavy usage.

Well, if you want something really rural there's areas without much of accommodations or transport, but do you really want to go there?

Wifi got much more data/day. One of the biggest sim card packages without topping up is 5GB total for 30 days.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Well, if you want something really rural there's areas without much of accommodations or transport, but do you really want to go there?

Wifi got much more data/day. One of the biggest sim card packages without topping up is 5GB total for 30 days.
Optimally I'd want something that's just on the border between inaccessible and accessible :p

5GB sounds like plenty, on a normal month I only use like 2GB. I don't watch movies or anything on my phone. I'll look it up anyway.

Fritz

Obviously I wasn't counting on my captivating personality swaying people from their plans and making them join me. On that topic, it looks like I won't be joined by my sister unless I wait a whole year.
I realise this is a very personal thing, and doesn't really apply specifically to Japan (though you might have more trouble connecting to randoms over there), what do you guys think of travelling alone? While generally I enjoy it and the freedoms it provides but a lot of attractions lose their luster when you're alone.

I am easy going and approachable and also not timid of approaching people myself. Si I don't mind traveling alone too much. But japan was hard in that regard because of the language barrier. I'd highly recommend hostels if you're worried about this kind of stuff. Even more so since they are top notch in japan and have some fantastic value for money.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I am easy going and approachable and also not timid of approaching people myself. Si I don't mind traveling alone too much. But japan was hard in that regard because of the language barrier. I'd highly recommend hostels if you're worried about this kind of stuff. Even more so since they are top notch in japan and have some fantastic value for money.

I'll probably get hostels anyway outside of Kyoto, though I do want a more Ryoken-like experience if that's a thing that actually exists/is worthwhile (I'll look into it). In Kyoto I have to get something a bit more substantial than a hostel cuz I'll be staying a while and need a place for my smelly kendo bogu/uniform (I'm a big fan of airbnb so maybe that).

I'm trying to convince a friend me to join me for some of the time, like a week-and-a-half-- but that means he either needs to be okay with being alone too or to come for a short period of time. Can't have it all.

ys45

Wow, did not know there was a thread for Traveling to Japan on Gaf :p

After more than 10 years of dreaming that one day I would go to Japan I am finally going there 2 weeks at the end of August for my vacations and I had some questions for people who already traveled to Japan.

1. Is there a lot of wireless hot spot ?
2. Will it be a big problem if I only know very basic Japanese ? (200+ kanji ,Basic grammar)

I plan to use google map on my tablet to explore around my hotels I will be staying
We already have our travel planned but there will be a lot of free day and I really want to explore, we wil be going to Tokyo,Takayama,Hakone and Kyoto in that order .

I'm kind of nervous since my Japanese is very basic and I will probably have a hard time .

1. Is there a lot of wireless hot spot ?
2. Will it be a big problem if I only know very basic Japanese ? (200+ kanji ,Basic grammar)

It's better to rent a portable Wifi device or get a data sim card. Especially since you're going to Hakone and Takayama.

Depends on what you're planning to do. I've been in Japan several times without knowing any Japanese and I've travelled around just fine.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I'm trying to get a restaurant reservation (specifically Sukiyabashi Jiro Roppongi Hills), but they won't take one unless I do it though a hotel concierge, which I don't have access to since I will be staying in an AirBnB. They won't even take one from my friend who lives there either.

Is there any way around this, aside from just booking a cheap hotel?

Thanks

I'm trying to get a restaurant reservation (specifically Sukiyabashi Jiro Roppongi Hills), but they won't take one unless I do it though a hotel concierge, which I don't have access to since I will be staying in an AirBnB. They won't even take one from my friend who lives there either.

Is there any way around this, aside from just booking a cheap hotel?

Thanks

Try calling Gurunavi and see if they can help you:
https://gurunavi.com/en/ge7h200/rst/

exhume

I think this sounds awesome but I'm weird when it comes to this sort of thing. You know him better than us though. If you think it would be okay, then it probably is. Good luck. I can't say much about your itinerary because I only know Tokyo and my wife and I don't believe in planning our trips.
Thanks mate! I hope it goes well...think I'll just wing it, if the moment feels right :)

Looks like you're going to see a lot of temples and shrines at least ;p

The first day plans might be a bit optimistic depending on how long the immigration and JR Pass lines are (if you're exchanging it right there and then) at the airport and which airport you're arriving at (Narita is much further away from Tokyo than Haneda). In a worst case scenario you'd only be in Tokyo proper around 11-12.

Kinkakuji might have a lot of tourists, but so will a lot of the other temples and shrines you're going to. That's how it is if you're only going to the mostly famous ones.

And your travel agent fucked up. If you're going at the end of October then you're not even supposed to get a JR Pass exchange order yet. First possible date you're allowed to get one is late July. You'll need to have it fixed.
Thanks for those tips, you're a really helpful fellow! Wow, so I should really expect Narita to be a bit of a bunfight? That might not be so bad actually, it seems like a lot of stuff in Tokyo doesn't open until after 10am anyway.
That's frustrating about the rail pass, I guess I'll call the agent up and complain.

Hey, it's just me but if the person I loved went all that way to make a proposal that special, I'd have a hard time saying no! Very romantic, wish you both the best :)

On the topic of Pokemon though, give the Pokemon Expo Gym a look. It might not be of interest if you're just after merch, but I figure it's worth pointing out!
Thanks dude :D Oh and wow that Pokemon Gym looks awesome! Definitely adding it to the list!!

When you go to Nikko, you absolutely should stay at The Teddy Bear House. Absolutely fantastic Bed and Breakfast. Highly recommend it, and you're a 10 minute walk from Kirufuri Falls, which is drop dead breath taking. Ultimate location for a proposal.

Also, for Kanazawa, sacrifice a day elsewhere, and stay for two nights. Spend a morning/afternoon taking a day trip to Shirokawa. Fuckin super awesome. Between Shirokawa and Kanazawa, you'll have 2 amazing days at a leisure pace. The museum, garden, and samurai house in Kanazawa are ultra legit.
In Kanazawa, absolutely make sure you eat at Itaru. Their specialty is the local fish grilled, a bit pricey, but super worth it. It's also really close to the 21st Century Art Museum.

TRUST ME on my suggestions. I just the last few days doing them. Highlight of the trip so far.
Neat, thanks for those tips! I might not be able to squeeze them in this time around (already have all my accommodation booked) but I'll put them on my already-growing list for the next trip, haha.

Top Bottom