• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Osaka wasn't too exciting. There's little historical stuff (especially compared to Tokyo) and the shopping is probably not as good. I'd like to go back and raid Den Den Town though.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Osaka wasn't too exciting. There's little historical stuff (especially compared to Tokyo) and the shopping is probably not as good. I'd like to go back and raid Den Den Town though.

Like the worst post in gaf history.

Just spent a day in Kyoto, I kinda see what you guys mean about it being a bit boring. Gonna hang out here for another day, then I'll reconsider spending a 3rd day here, or hitting up Osaka. Although I think it being that way is part of its charm.

Fushimi Inari was amazing though. Might go again after midnight. Hopefully it'll be super empty then.

I went to Nintendo today to take pictures on front holding my newly acquired Super Famicom. Randomly bumped into a fellow GAF member.

leroidys

Different strokes, but I just spent 6 days in Osaka and am in the middle of a weeklong stint in Kyoto (spent 10 days here previously) and I can't fathom getting bored of either place that quickly. Happy to provide recommendations of stuff to do it anyone needs.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for gifts for someone who doesn't really give a shit about Japan? Looking for something nice for my parents, preferably under $200.

Gonna hit up the bamboo forest tomorrow and some other places. I went for a nice long bicycle ride along the river.

I don't outright dislike Kyoto, just saying that I can see why some would think it's boring.

Fritz

^Was by far my favorite place in Kyoto. :p

Gonna hit up the bamboo forest tomorrow and some other places. I went for a nice long bicycle ride along the river.

I don't outright dislike Kyoto, just saying that I can see why some would think it's boring.

Don't miss Gio-ji. My favorite spot in Japan (from what little I have seen though). Serene and really otherworldly to me.

Just spent a day in Kyoto, I kinda see what you guys mean about it being a bit boring. Gonna hang out here for another day, then I'll reconsider spending a 3rd day here, or hitting up Osaka. Although I think it being that way is part of its charm.

Fushimi Inari was amazing though. Might go again after midnight. Hopefully it'll be super empty then.

I went to Nintendo today to take pictures on front holding my newly acquired Super Famicom. Randomly bumped into a fellow GAF member.

Was really funny bumping into you!
Don't forget to go to nakano broadway

Nista

It's supposed to move in November, unless the people who protests the move delays it.

Well, it's the inner markets that 'close' at 11. There's still activity in the outer ones where most of the eateries are.

Edit: Looks like they've put more restrictions about when you can access the inner market as well. Was from 9 back when I went the first time, now it's from 10.

I'm having trouble convincing my SO that we should get up at 3 AM to see the tuna auction. I kinda feel like if we don't do that part, then it's not going to be all that different than other big fish markets we've visited in the past.

I do want to buy some seafood to prepare myself if we manage to get an airbnb with some sort of kitchen (which is a rarity in Tokyo it seems).

Make sure you got your international driving permit in order then. Oh, and make sure you get the 1949 convention one and not a 1968 convention one.

The Asakusa area is cheap especially for hostels, but if you're doing AirBnB just check any place within walking distance from the JR Yamanote line.

Yeah we are AAA members, so once I get some pics I'm going to get the driving permits from them. Too bad I can't find any place to rent us a GTR (a total waste if the speed limits are enforced!)

We are a bit too old and cranky for hostels, so it's either AirBNB or expensive international hotels it seems for Tokyo. :) Being able to get to all the tourist areas, the convention center and the airport, as well as it not being too noisy for him are my main criteria.

Mairu

Is it worth going to TGS for one of the public days if I'm in Japan at the time? Not sure if I have enough time really, but I'm debating going for one of the days since the timing matches...

People like different places and things to see and do. Shocking ;p
I don't know what the hell I was smoking, but Kyoto is amazing. Arashiyama is all kings of beautiful. It's worth coming out just for that alone. Never mind how nice Inari Torii is, and the fact that you can make the pilgrimage to Nintendo.

Going for a bicycle ride along the river is super legit.

About to go to Pochonto to get some dinner, I get lofty expectations, and I don't doubt it'll deliver.

I don't know what the hell I was smoking, but Kyoto is amazing. Arashiyama is all kings of beautiful. It's worth coming out just for that alone. Never mind how nice Inari Torii is, and the fact that you can make the pilgrimage to Nintendo.

Going for a bicycle ride along the river is super legit.

About to go to Pochonto to get some dinner, I get lofty expectations, and I don't doubt it'll deliver.

Oh crap, totall forgot Arashiyama. Yep, that's very nice.

Well, I just had the best beef stew and eggplant that I've ever had in my entire life.

Renkon-ya in Kyoto, god tier.

Have roughly 2 weeks left here, leaving this country is gonna be heart breaking.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Bought my tickets. September 26th - October 26th.

My friend may join me for two weeks, I'll know on the 19th.

My current plan is two weeks in Kyoto (with daytrips to Nara and Osaka), ~4 days in Tokyo, 2-3 days in Hakona, 3-4 days in Kamakura and surroundings. That leaves me about 5-6 days to decide what to do with.
What do you guys think?

Also, about staying in Kyoto-- any recommendations? It'll probably be for fairly long (about two weeks like I said), I don't require too much comfort but I do need privacy and a place to hang my kendo gear.
I often use airbnb in Europe but I don't know if I want to do so this time on account of it being a bit hit-or-miss and landing a miss for half the trip can be a bit troublesome.

Is it worth going to TGS for one of the public days if I'm in Japan at the time? Not sure if I have enough time really, but I'm debating going for one of the days since the timing matches...

Well, if you want to see people in huge queues then sure ;p

My current plan is two weeks in Kyoto (with daytrips to Nara and Osaka), ~4 days in Tokyo, 2-3 days in Hakona, 3-4 days in Kamakura and surroundings. That leaves me about 5-6 days to decide what to do with.
What do you guys think?

Hmm... Only 4 days in Tokyo? Why not more? There's plenty to see and do.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Well, if you want to see people in huge queues then sure ;p

Hmm... Only 4 days in Tokyo? Why not more? There's plenty to see and do.

Well, I just figured it's expensive and I've been told by various people that there isn't that much interesting stuff in the city itself. There seemed to be a lot of stuff around it too but I'd still have to stay in the city.

Well, I just figured it's expensive and I've been told by various people that there isn't that much interesting stuff in the city itself. There seemed to be a lot of stuff around it too but I'd still have to stay in the city.

As long as you stay in AirBnB, hostels or business hotels it's no more expensive than anywhere else in Japan.

And there's lots of interesting stuff. I mean, you could even go mountain hiking in western Tokyo. :p

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
As long as you stay in AirBnB, hostels or business hotels it's no more expensive than anywhere else in Japan.

And there's lots of interesting stuff. I mean, you could even go mountain hiking in western Tokyo. :p
Why would people take hotels over airbnb? Especially if it's a whole apartment. Anyway I'll consider staying there for longer. How early should I book the places to stay?

I saw a nice place in Kyoto for about 57$ a day. Whole apartment and close to the Heian Temple which is where I'll be practicing every day. Though perhaps it'll be better to be closer to a main transport place as I'll want to be able to travel fast in the morning. What do you think?
I'll need to ask them if there's any place I can hang my kendo gear though, I hope their English is good enough to understand the question..

Why would people take hotels over airbnb? Especially if it's a whole apartment. Anyway I'll consider staying there for longer. How early should I book the places to stay?

I saw a nice place in Kyoto for about 57$ a day. Whole apartment and close to the Heian Temple which is where I'll be practicing every day. Though perhaps it'll be better to be closer to a main transport place as I'll want to be able to travel fast in the morning. What do you think?

Well, depends on what you want I guess. If you're staying at a hotel you'd have a cleaned up place to get back to each day and you could have the reception (or concierge if it's a fancier hotel) help you with booking restaurants or whatever. Depending on the season / when you book it could be cheaper than a private AirBnB apartment as well.

You should book as soon as possible since it's only 2.5-ish months till you go now.

Heian Shrine? Whereabouts is the apartment located though? You could have fast access to the Keihan trains or Subway in Kyoto depending on which direction of the shrine it is (+ the usual buses).

hwalker84

Dying to go back. Still targeting September 2017. I take Japanese every Wednesday and a few of the people have gone in the last two months and one guy is going for the next 3-5 years to teach. I'm getting that itch badly.

Love everyones pictures btw. Keep up the good work everyone in this thread and happy travels.

Oh and when I go back we better be doing a Japan Meetup darnit!!!

I'm currently staying in an airbnb right next to Heian Temple. $50 a night for 2 guest. Next to all kinds of public transportation, and comes with free bikes. The bikes alone make it worth it as the location is pretty close to everything. Having a bike makes getting around Kyoto very nice and fun.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4081130

I'd recommend this spot for sure. Maybe reach out to the owner since she has a few places in Kyoto.

Any ways, I got my monkey fix in Kyoto, so I don't think I'll be going to Jigokudani Monkey Park any more, and I'm gonna scrap Kanazawa as well since I was using it as a pit stop to make the trip there shorter.

So... throwing Osaka back on the itinerary. Where's the best neighborhood in Osaka for street photography?

Also, that leaves one day/night free. Should I do Hakone? If so, where's the best neighborhood to crash?

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I'm currently staying in an airbnb right next to Heian Temple. $50 a night for 2 guest. Next to all kinds of public transportation, and comes with free bikes. The bikes alone make it worth it as the location is pretty close to everything. Having a bike makes getting around Kyoto very nice and fun.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4081130

I'd recommend this spot for sure. Maybe reach out to the owner since she has a few places in Kyoto.
That's the one I saw! That sounds like a good endorsement. I hope she still has the dates available about a week from now since I need to check stuff with my friend.

Is there any portion of the apartment which is outside (like a patio or something)? I'll need to mail her anyway about whether I'll have somewhere to hang my kendo gear. Is her English good enough that she might understand me?

That's the one I saw! That sounds like a good endorsement. I hope she still has the dates available about a week from now since I need to check stuff with my friend.

Is there any portion of the apartment which is outside (like a patio or something)? I'll need to mail her anyway about whether I'll have somewhere to hang my kendo gear. Is her English good enough that she might understand me?
Her English seems fine enough, cant say for sure. Didn't really habe a need to talk to her. There's a tiny closet you can hang some stuff in, but it's small none the less. No balcony.

So it looks like I'll be spending three days in Fukuoka or surrounding areas. Looking at the public transportation, they dont use JR, so I cant use a JR pass. They have a Hayakaken card which is good for the city subway, and a Nimoca card for buses and trains. But I'm wondering if one card works for the other. It would seem stupid that a resident of the city would have to have two cards to get around. Anyone know anything about this?

hwalker84

So it looks like I'll be spending three days in Fukuoka or surrounding areas. Looking at the public transportation, they dont use JR, so I cant use a JR pass. They have a Hayakaken card which is good for the city subway, and a Nimoca card for buses and trains. But I'm wondering if one card works for the other. It would seem stupid that a resident of the city would have to have two cards to get around. Anyone know anything about this?
I don't know I mostly walked that city, partied my ass off, shopped and ate a ton.

Did you end up staying there overnight? I'm wondering where I should get a hotel. I'm thinking either near hakata station or tenjin station. I mean they're not too far from each other anyway, but both have a lot of good hotels.

I have another question as well. I was thinking of getting a jr pass, since I have a long distance to travel as I'm going to Tokyo to Fukuoka and then back a few days later, and figured I could use the shinkansen. However you can only take certain trains with the jr pass. So do you think its still worth it, or should I just buy plane tickets? I mean if I take the train, I'd have to switch trains in osaka, but at least I could hang out there a while, but its still a 6+ hour train ride vs a 1.5 hour plane ride. Both the jr pass and round trip plane tickets would cost about the same.

leroidys

Any ways, I got my monkey fix in Kyoto, so I don't think I'll be going to Jigokudani Monkey Park any more, and I'm gonna scrap Kanazawa as well since I was using it as a pit stop to make the trip there shorter.

So... throwing Osaka back on the itinerary. Where's the best neighborhood in Osaka for street photography?

Also, that leaves one day/night free. Should I do Hakone? If so, where's the best neighborhood to crash?
Dotonbori (flashing lights and bars alone the river), ameri-mura (people watching, interesting shops and some weird architecture), nakazakicho (traditional Japanese buildings) would be my picks.

I have another question as well. I was thinking of getting a jr pass, since I have a long distance to travel as I'm going to Tokyo to Fukuoka and then back a few days later, and figured I could use the shinkansen. However you can only take certain trains with the jr pass. So do you think its still worth it, or should I just buy plane tickets?.
Just add the cost of individual train tickets, if it comes close, definitely get it. Also only two linesdont support the JR Pass, see if it applies to your trips. I would do it if only for the flexibility. Don't forget it also works on local JR lines and busses. Those add up as well.

For me it was beyond worth it, but I'm also 20 days into a month of traveling all over the country. NOTHING STOPS THIS TRAIN.

Dotonbori (flashing lights and bars alone the river), ameri-mura (people watching, interesting shops and some weird architecture), nakazakicho (traditional Japanese buildings) would be my picks.
Thanks for the tip. Doing 2 nights, so I'm hoping there's enough to do at night, and solid nature to hit up during the day. Any nature suggestions?

Just add the cost of individual train tickets, if it comes close, definitely get it. Also only two linesdont support the JR Pass, see if it applies to your trips. I would do it if only for the flexibility. Don't forget it also works on local JR lines and busses. Those add up as well.

For me it was beyond worth it, but I'm also 20 days into a month of traveling all over the country. NOTHING STOPS THIS TRAIN.

I might just get the pass.

I think I found the information I was looking for. It seems like I can take the Hikari train from Tokyo to Osaka, then I transfer to the Sakura train which will go to Fukuoka. Only thing is I don't know how often they run all the way.

Since you're there now using the trains, does this sound right?

leroidys

Thanks for the tip. Doing 2 nights, so I'm hoping there's enough to do at night, and solid nature to hit up during the day. Any nature suggestions?

Sure, what kind of stuff are you into? Namba and Umeda areas have great shopping, dotonburi is fun at night to eat all kinds of street food, osaka castle, Amerimura and the surrounding area have a ton of cool vintage shops and record stores, nakanoshima has a couple cool museums and old architecture, nipponbashi has, imo, better retro game shopping than akihabara. There are actually a few craft breweries in Osaka too, mostly around the umeda area.

I might just get the pass.

I think I found the information I was looking for. It seems like I can take the Hikari train from Tokyo to Osaka, then I transfer to the Sakura train which will go to Fukuoka. Only thing is I don't know how often they run all the way.

Since you're there now using the trains, does this sound right?
I took the hikari line for a round trip from Tokyo to Kyoto, will likely take it from Osaka to Tokyo, also I think to get out to Miyajima from Tokyo, and from Hiroshima to Osaka.

All the trains run fairly often. Aside from them not running 24/7, Japan has far and away the best train system I've ever come across. I don't doubt it's the best in the world.

Sure, what kind of stuff are you into?
I just wanna be in the streets at night. No interest in shopping. Maybe some classic game shops, but I'm already pretty stocked up with my Super Famicom and games. Day time, injuat want some good nature or gardens.

leroidys

I took the hikari line for a round trip from Tokyo to Kyoto, will likely take it from Osaka to Tokyo, also I think to get out to Miyajima from Tokyo, and from Hiroshima to Osaka.

All the trains run fairly often. Aside from them not running 24/7, Japan has far and away the best train system I've ever come across. I don't doubt it's the best in the world.

I just wanna be in the streets at night. No interest in shopping. Maybe some classic game shops, but I'm already pretty stocked up with my Super Famicom and games. Day time, injuat want some good nature or gardens.
Dotonbori is very touristy, but still really fun. Going too far north of that it got kinda depressing/seedy though. I didn't get the chance to go to amerimura at night but it seems like it would be interesting.

Nature is in short supply in Osaka compared to Kyoto, but Tennoji area and Nakanoshima are worth the visit.

You can just use a Suica/Pasmo card you use for Tokyo as well. They're all compatible with eachother.

I have another question as well. I was thinking of getting a jr pass, since I have a long distance to travel as I'm going to Tokyo to Fukuoka and then back a few days later, and figured I could use the shinkansen. However you can only take certain trains with the jr pass. So do you think its still worth it, or should I just buy plane tickets? I mean if I take the train, I'd have to switch trains in osaka, but at least I could hang out there a while, but its still a 6+ hour train ride vs a 1.5 hour plane ride. Both the jr pass and round trip plane tickets would cost about the same.

Well, what does your whole itinerary look like?

Fritz

Is there any way to make my work mobile work in Japan. I need to be able to receive emails and calls. Would be a mayor relief.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I think I'll stay at the place Marion stayed! Should have left a GAF souvenir.

At any rate, I just need to decide when exactly I'll be in Kyoto. I arrive in Tokyo at about 6pm after 19 hours' travel (my flight goes in the "wrong" direction to Europe and then back to Asia..), so I'll be fairly pooped and if I go to Kyoto straight away I'll arrive pretty late. Maybe I should stay a night in Tokyo first or along the way (Nagoya?)?

Alternatively I could do the first half of my travel (Tokyo, Kamakura, Hakone, etc.) when I arrive. What I thought would be better by staying in Kyoto first is that by staying in the same place for a bit I'll meet some people and they'll be able to introduce me to dojos in Tokyo, etc., and because I'll might be antsy to go there already.

I also just realised how cumbersome it's gonna be going from place to place with all my luggage (standard luggage, kendo gear and swords). I'll have to find some creative solutions-- I know some stations have lockers but this stuff is pretty big, and leaving it for an extended period of time might be expensive..

I also just realised how cumbersome it's gonna be going from place to place with all my luggage (standard luggage, kendo gear and swords). I'll have to find some creative solutions-- I know some stations have lockers but this stuff is pretty big, and leaving it for an extended period of time might be expensive..

Be wary that they only allow you to store stuff in the coin lockers for x number of days before they're emptied, usually 3 days but could be both less and more.

If you're staying at a hotel in Hakone then you could try the delivery service from the Hakone-Yumoto station to the hotel. You get a discount on the service if you're using the Hakone Free Pass to travel around Hakone:
http://www.hakone-tozanbus.co.jp/images/carry/carry_e.pdf

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Be wary that they only allow you to store stuff in the coin lockers for x number of days before they're emptied, usually 3 days but could be both less and more.

If you're staying at a hotel in Hakone then you could try the delivery service from the Hakone-Yumoto station to the hotel. You get a discount on the service if you're using the Hakone Free Pass to travel around Hakone:
http://www.hakone-tozanbus.co.jp/images/carry/carry_e.pdf

They don't have longer-term lockers?

And I don't get it, does the service just save you the travel from the station to the hotel (with luggage) and back? So you won't have to make a stop at the hotel? Well, for 800 yen I guess that'll be worth it..

SKINNER!

Banned
They don't have longer-term lockers?

And I don't get it, does the service just save you the travel from the station to the hotel (with luggage) and back? So you won't have to make a stop at the hotel? Well, for 800 yen I guess that'll be worth it..

Yeah I had a brief look at this. Wanted to travel to Hokkaido from Tokyo via train so we can stop off at certain points on the way but the thought of carrying luggage around sucked. We looked into leaving our bags at Narita or a station but discovered that it was only allowed for a day or two. Only way is to send it around the country via delivery. we abandoned the idea. Alternatively, we could've taken a plane but meh, small trip flights are boring.

Yes. Depending on where your hotel is in Hakone it can save you several hours and you don't have to carry your luggage around on the (sometimes crowded) buses in Hakone.

Random question, but do you guys know if it's easy to find Hibiki 12 at Narita Airport? I'm hoping to find it at the airport so I can avoid checking in luggage.

Top Bottom