• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Jamaal23

Neo Member
Anyone have any recommendations for a northern destination from Tokyo? Preferably along a JR line. I'm hoping to go north from here for a day or two before tackling some of the other big cities. Thanks!

Ghibli was really awesome. Went there on Sunday. Bought loads of stuff from the merchandise store. I'm quite pleasantly surprised at how most people obeyed the no photography rule though!

Nice. I'm looking forward to it. Any pics of your Ghibli swag?

I have never been on a lengthy trip like this before, so didn't really plan for souvenir/gift space in my bags. Wish I knew better. Oh well, there's always next time!

Great. Thanks again.

Time to look for a bidet on Amazon. :D

edit: Tried to order a bidet. They would send it to Austria. But when I use a pick up location, it does not let me finish the order. Have to look further into that.

konbini have a size and weight limit of what they will take from Amazon. Can't be bothered to check what those limits were, but IIRC it ain't that big. I had LE Persona 4 Dancing Vita bundle delivered to a Lawson.

Based on what popped up in amazon jp search of 'bidet', that's pretty much the toilet seat. That means it's at least the size of human ass, plus packaging.

Zatoth

konbini have a size and weight limit of what they will take from Amazon. Can't be bothered to check what those limits were, but IIRC it ain't that big. I had LE Persona 4 Dancing Vita bundle delivered to a Lawson.

Based on what popped up in amazon jp search of 'bidet', that's pretty much the toilet seat. That means it's at least the size of human ass, plus packaging.

Amazon showed me a list of pick-up locations. Could only choose some of them because of the limit. But even the ones that should be okay would not allow me to order.

Jamaal23

Neo Member
With an JR Pass? How far north? You got winter clothes?

Correctomundo. I have a JR Pass. Was thinking Tohoku region north of Fukushima. Not going as far as Hokkaido, I don't think, although it could be done. Just thought it'd be a long train ride back and forth and would take away from sightseeing.

I don't have my winter coat, but I do have long sleeved shirts, a jacket, my toque and mitts. I'll be good for anything as cold as -10C or so.

Correctomundo. I have a JR Pass. Was thinking Tohoku region north of Fukushima. Not going as far as Hokkaido, I don't think, although it could be done. Just thought it'd be a long train ride back and forth and would take away from sightseeing.

I don't have my winter coat, but I do have long sleeved shirts, a jacket, my toque and mitts. I'll be good for anything as cold as -10C or so.

Could check out Kaminoyama Onsen if you've not visited an onsen town yet:
http://kaminoyama-spa.com/english/

Or you could check out Aomori with the Furukawa Fish Market where you can create your own seafood meal and the Nebuta Matsuri museum where you can see some paper festival floats.

I've been to Hirosaki, but that's much better to visit in the fall because of the apple season. November is the tail end of the season so there might be some apples still, but you're taking a chance if you'd to visit now I guess :p

Fireblend

Banned
So I've come up with a preliminary itinerary for my trip; I don't plan to follow it religiously, but I do want to have a good idea of where we could go at a given time so we don't spend too much time deciding or forget about an important spot.

I'd appreciate some feedback, specially if any day is super packed (looking at day 5 here) or if I'm missing something we should check out for sure. There are 3 days (in green) which could be used to spread things a bit more so we don't have to rush, or add some extra stuff. Here it is.

I'd appreciate some feedback, specially if any day is super packed (looking at day 5 here) or if I'm missing something we should check out for sure. There are 3 days (in green) which could be used to spread things a bit more so we don't have to rush, or add some extra stuff. Here it is.

Day 5 isn't too bad, but day 16 seems way too packed though.

Depending on how long you're planning to spend at the fish market (and what you're interested in seeing/doing there) and if you got tickets to Skytree or not I'd try switching some stuff from day 1,2,3, 15 and 16 around.

Fireblend

Banned
Day 5 isn't too bad, but day 16 seems way too packed though.

Depending on how long you're planning to spend at the fish market (and what you're interested in seeing/doing there) and if you got tickets to Skytree or not I'd try switching some stuff from day 1,2,3, 15 and 16 around.

Yeah, I wanted it to be the day we go out to spend the rest of our budget, haha. But you're probably right. I bet I could visit Nakano Broadway and Tokyo Tower on the other days. Worst case scenario we can just use day 17 to continue shopping instead of doing a 1-day trip outside Tokyo like I originally wanted.

Yeah, I wanted it to be the day we go out to spend the rest of our budget, haha. But you're probably right. I bet I could visit Nakano Broadway and Tokyo Tower on the other days. Worst case scenario we can just use day 17 to continue shopping instead of doing a 1-day trip outside Tokyo like I originally wanted.

Well, I was thinking more like:
Day 1: Asakusa/Ueno/Nezu/Yasukuni
Day 2: Tsukiji/Ginza/Hamarikyu/Tokyo Tower
Day 3: Imperial Palace/Meiji/Yoyogi/Harajuku/Shibuya
Day 15: Akihabara/Skytree+Shopping
Day 16: Nakano/Shinjuku/Roppongi

Which would be less time travelling on trains. Depends on what you're planning to do in each location of course.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, I was thinking more like:

Which would be less time travelling on trains. Depends on what you're planning to do in each location of course.

Awesome! That's exactly the sort of advise I needed. Optimizing routes in my head for places I don't know in a city for which I have 0 sense of scale is pretty hard, haha.

Thanks!

I don't really have anything to add about your itinerary or the optimality of it. We don't really plan our vacations. I was just wondering why you want to visit Yasukuni? It seems to be a bit of bad taste.

Fireblend

Banned
I don't really have anything to add about your itinerary or the optimality of it. We don't really plan our vacations. I was just wondering why you want to visit Yasukuni? It seems to be a bit of bad taste.

Looks like a neat-looking shrine? It's also recommended in most Tokyo travel sites. I'm not too concerned about the controversy, I'd rate being able to take some cool photos over skipping it for it :p If it's any solace I'd skip it if we're running late or something, haha. As I said it's more of a guideline than something to follow exactly for me, I don't usually plan my trips in such a detailed way but I was worrying this time around because Tokyo is huge and I expect a big language barrier.

exhume

Sweet!! I'ld like to encourage more GAF travelers to post some pics!

That's my cue!
These are from my trip which I got back from a week ago. :D
tumblr_ogkd98EGd51vkipipo6_1280.jpg

Shinjuku in the rain

tumblr_ogkk7hisod1vkipipo2_1280.jpg

Kenrokuen Garden

tumblr_ogkk7hisod1vkipipo4_540.jpg

Random shrine in Kanazawa

tumblr_ogkkgtdxXU1vkipipo1_1280.jpg

Cool dude outside Fushimi Inari

tumblr_ogkg9walVM1vkipipo6_r1_540.jpg

Hachiko!

tumblr_ogkfxrh4n31vkipipo4_1280.jpg

Imado Shrine - I love the fad of drawing manga characters on ema...

tumblr_ogkg9walVM1vkipipo5_1280.jpg

Always wanted to see this poster up close since seeing photos of it in this thread :)

tumblr_ogkfxrh4n31vkipipo8_1280.jpg

Adorable cafe/bookshop in the backstreets of Asakusa

tumblr_ogklrzzNVm1vkipipo3_540.jpg

A beanbag shrine? Somewhere on the hill to Kiyomizudera. I'd love to know more about what this shrine is dedicated to, if anyone knows.
There are a bunch more here, I apologise for the shitty Tumblr layout lol.

elhaym

That's my cue!
These are from my trip which I got back from a week ago. :D
There are a bunch more here, I apologise for the shitty Tumblr layout lol.

Imado Shrine - I love the fad of drawing manga characters on ema...

Yo dawg, I heard you liked ema:

(From Kanda Myojin, immediately after Love Live Final Live lol)

Seriously though, really nice pictures. I wish I was a good photographer. =(

exhume

Yo dawg, I heard you liked ema:

(From Kanda Myojin, immediately after Love Live Final Live lol)

Seriously though, really nice pictures. I wish I was a good photographer. =(

Nice! Kanda Myojin is awesome, I really wanted to buy one of the Love Live ema as a souvenir but of course they were heaps more expensive than the regular non-anime ones, haha.

Also, I'm a crap photographer but I bought a nice camera specifically for the trip, it did all the hard work for me ;) It helps that there's something interesting everywhere you look in Japan!

Fritz

Nice! Kanda Myojin is awesome, I really wanted to buy one of the Love Live ema as a souvenir but of course they were heaps more expensive than the regular non-anime ones, haha.

Also, I'm a crap photographer but I bought a nice camera specifically for the trip, it did all the hard work for me ;) It helps that there's something interesting everywhere you look in Japan!

Nah, you got a good eye. Either way, wanna spoil what camera you used?

Fireblend

Banned
Should I bother getting a SIM card if I'm already getting a portable wifi in every AirBNB I booked? The only time I wouldn't have Internet guaranteed would be when we're between cities (which admittedly sounds like a good time to have Internet, since we may need to check Google Maps at least). Or is there enough free wifi spots to survive? On the other hand I guess one of those SIM cards in the OP are just $23 so I might as well just buy it to be safe.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Should I bother getting a SIM card if I'm already getting a portable wifi in every AirBNB I booked? The only time I wouldn't have Internet guaranteed would be when we're between cities (which admittedly sounds like a good time to have Internet, since we may need to check Google Maps at least). Or is there enough free wifi spots to survive? On the other hand I guess one of those SIM cards in the OP are just $23 so I might as well just buy it to be safe.

We hired a couple of mobile wifi routers for our last trip and we're assuming we will do the same this Christmas. But as I don't expect to need to phone anyone, would a data sim in my iPhone be more convenient? I'd want to tether it for when I use my iPad though. And I'd probably still rent one mobile wifi for the kids to use.

We hired a couple of mobile wifi routers for our last trip and we're assuming we will do the same this Christmas. But as I don't expect to need to phone anyone, would a data sim in my iPhone be more convenient? I'd want to tether it for when I use my iPad though. And I'd probably still rent one mobile wifi for the kids to use.

Mobile WiFi got more data before it gets speed restricted, so it depends on how much data you're planning to use.

elhaym

I still lean towards thinking it depends on when during the month you're gonna travel. If you're near the end of the month, it's possible that the host's pocket wifi may have already or soon will hit the speed cap. Beginning of the month, not as much. For me it was really nice to have a 2nd one w/ two travelers so we could split up and still keep in touch w/ Hangouts or Fb messenger.

Gibbo

It's useful to get a second wi fi adaptor handy. I rented one from softbank at haneda airport (tip you can bargain down the rental prices). It only lasts about 8 hours a charge though. So it helps to have another one handy when you're heading back at the end of each day.

Tsukiji fish market still gonna be open for a while then:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ones-decision-fate-tsukiji-relocation-summer/

Tokyo Gov. Yuriko Koike announced Friday that she will decide in summer whether to relocate Tsukiji fish market to the alternative Toyosu site in Tokyo’s Koto Ward, further delaying the long-troubled move originally scheduled for Nov. 7 this year.

At the earliest, the relocation will take place sometime between winter next year and the spring of 2018, Koike said.

The governor did not rule out the option of scrapping the whole plan, which has been suspended on fears of soil pollution at the Toyosu site. The current Tsukiji market, which is famous worldwide, is located near the Ginza shopping district in Chuo Ward.

“At this point, we still can’t say the relocation is a sure thing,” the governor told reporters during her regular news conference at the metropolitan government headquarters in Shinjuku Ward.

exhume

Nah, you got a good eye. Either way, wanna spoil what camera you used?

Thanks man! And sure thing, it's a Lumix DMC-GX85 with a Sigma 19mm F2.8 lens equipped. It has some really neat pre-programmed shooting modes, and lots of filters and the like, kind of like Instagram on crack.

Also my 2 cents on the pocket wifi thing is, hire a second one if you've got the cash to spare. I was travelling with my partner and we only had the one between us, which turned out to be a huge pain whenever we wanted to split up and do our own thing. Free wifi hotspots don't seem to work well, in my experience.

I found it effort enough just to keep my phone and power bank charged, adding another thing on top to keep charged would have been a supper hassle so I'm super glad I got the sim.

Never really got near the throttle limit, even using maps all day with the occasional web surfing. It was like a 1/3 of the price of renting a WiFi thing to, and me and my friend split up a lot too.

All my photos are p shitty, I don't even stop walking when taking them most of the time. I do like this over filtered thingy Google photos randomly made for me one time though.

scogoth

There is an app called Japan Wifi that has maps of free wifi and allows you to pre-register for free wifi spots across Japan. I got a data sim though cause it's just convenient for directions and looking up reviews, definitely better than portable wifi IMO cause it's one less thing to carry and charge.
Pro-tip, you can still use GPS and offline maps albiet not as accurate as with a SIM card.

Unfortunately I don't have many photos to post because my girlfriend doesn't want to be on neogaf =/
Here are some pics from the onsen we visited in Suzaka, Nagano that don't have us in them. It's called Seni Onsen Iwanoyu and it is one the best onsen I've ever been to, 4 private baths as well as a mixed cave bath.

Been here a day so far, went around the shimokitzawa (sp) area looking at clothes and coffee then got some super cheap ramen then went into central (the long way it seems lol)and went to the scramble, jesus we thought it was still light out till we got up the stairs and realised it was all the lights.

Went all over the streets faces with up in the air mouths open aha.

Today we got up and tried to go to the modern art museum but it was closed, went to the royal park instead and then into Tokyo station looking for warmth, tried to google nearby Ramen and turns out there is Ramen Street inside! Got sidetracked by massive amounts of stuff like the Ghibli shop but did get some.
Grabbed a tonne of free samples from sweet shops and came back to our air bnb.

Should be heading to shinjuku in abit.

Only thing im not rating is the Suica card as I was hoping it was like Oyster but it does not seem to cap out so were rattling through money bouncing about lol

Fritz

Unfortunately I don't have many photos to post because my girlfriend doesn't want to be on neogaf =/
Here are some pics from the onsen we visited in Suzaka, Nagano that don't have us in them. It's called Seni Onsen Iwanoyu and it is one the best onsen I've ever been to, 4 private baths as well as a mixed cave bath.

Beautiful!

KiraFA37

Hey guys

I'm one week and halve into my trip which has been awesome so far and I'll be heading to Tokyo to finish before heading back home late saturday evening. I just have 1 question, is it possible to only visit the gift shop of the studio Ghibli museum? A friend would like a gift from it but I don't have a ticket for the museum and I didn't intend to visit it myself.

I'll also see if I can collect some of my pictures into an album once I'm back.

Hey guys

I'm one week and halve into my trip which has been awesome so far and I'll be heading to Tokyo to finish before heading back home late saturday evening. I just have 1 question, is it possible to only visit the gift shop of the studio Ghibli museum? A friend would like a gift from it but I don't have a ticket for the museum and I didn't intend to visit it myself.

I'll also see if I can collect some of my pictures into an album once I'm back.

It probably isn't but there's tons of Ghibli gift shops in Tokyo and Yokohama. I'm pretty sure there's one in Sunshine City.

Fritz

It probably isn't but there's tons of Ghibli gift shops in Tokyo and Yokohama. I'm pretty sure there's one in Sunshine City.

There is one Ghibli corner at Kiddy Land on Omotesando and a store in Asakusa right next to the entrance leading up to senso-ji.

There's also one in Tokyo Station that had a big amount of stuff.

Disneyland Sea was great but Christ I'm done in now. Also got to feel the earthquake that struck as we were up early to get the train. Very bizarre feeling.

KiraFA37

There's also one in Tokyo Station that had a big amount of stuff.

Disneyland Sea was great but Christ I'm done in now. Also got to feel the earthquake that struck as we were up early to get the train. Very bizarre feeling.

And one at Tokyo Skytree as well ;p

A simple "no" would have sufficed guys, I would have assumed there would be tons of alternatives.

There is one Ghibli corner at Kiddy Land on Omotesando and a store in Asakusa right next to the entrance leading up to senso-ji.

Probably the easiest since my hostel is right outside of Asakusa, in fact I'm posting from there right now.

A simple "no" would have sufficed guys, I would have assumed there would be tons of alternatives.

Probably the easiest since my hostel is right outside of Asakusa, in fact I'm posting from there right now.

Well I'm not going till the morning myself so I was just saying I've seen other shops outside the museum!

Thriller

Okay this is awesome, I went to Japan for the 2nd time in 2015 and I took my 66 year old dad with me (see photo album on page one).

Now I've booked a ticket in April and a friend of mine wanted to tag along so we'll go together.

In a while I'll start asking questions so I can still get a fulfilling experience from Japan on my 3rd trip whilst still doing justice to his first trip.

I hope that you guys will try and advice me again like you did last time!

See you soon :p

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I find this site's obsession with the ghibli museum strange. It's really boring outside of the movie shorts.

IMO just watch one of the bootleg videos of the Zoetrope on youtube then go somewhere else during your trip. Visit osamu dazai's grave nearby instead :v

I find this site's obsession with the ghibli museum strange. It's really boring outside of the movie shorts.

IMO just watch one of the bootleg videos of the Zoetrope on youtube then go somewhere else during your trip. Visit osamu dazai's grave nearby instead :v

I think it's just the exclusivity/hassle to get the tickets.

I didn't think it was that great either.

JulianImp

I really liked the random snow out of nowhere two days ago, mostly because it was the second time I've gotten to see snow in my life. The previous time was ten years ago, when for some reason it snowed in Buenos Aires for the first time in over fifty years.

My fingers almost fell off after walking around a park for a while (based yerba mate kept us alive), but it was still worth it.

Mairu

This site's obsession? I'm sure the foreign accessible tickets aren't selling out continuously just because of NeoGAF.

I enjoyed the museum a lot despite the small size. Wish they weren't against photos inside though!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This site's obsession? I'm sure the foreign accessible tickets aren't selling out continuously just because of NeoGAF.

I enjoyed the museum a lot despite the small size. Wish they weren't against photos inside though!

Yeah I figured it wouldn't just be here, but don't have much context for elsewhere. Obviously not just a NeoGAF thing though.

Still confused!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I figured it wouldn't just be here, but don't have much context for elsewhere. Obviously not just a NeoGAF thing though.

Still confused!!

People like anime. People like studio ghibli. It's not miles away, and it's it a nice little area - a fun morning out IMO. And worth it for the Laputa robot

Whaaaat Ghibli was bloody amazing. Atleast the entrance and first bit floored me. The building is like one Guadi had built, honestly it was great.

Did the Edo out door museum nearby as well and that was also awesome.

Heading to Kyoto tomorrow and then trying to decide if we go from Kyoto to Hiroshima.

Do we stay in Hiroshima and day trip to Miajima or go all the way through and do one night in Miajima (in a Ryokan?) Then day trip to Hiroshima then train back to Osaka..

Top Bottom