• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Fireblend

Banned
I'm on my third day here and having a blast, yet it feels like we've barely scratched the surface. I already want to come back pretty badly x_x we're staying in Tokyo until tomorrow when we'll start staying in Kyoto. First impressions are food is surprisingly cheap unless you want to try the super fancy stuff, but transportation and other expenses can pile up easily, specially when you have an easily impressed significant other travelling with you lol

Priz

I'm on my third day here and having a blast, yet it feels like we've barely scratched the surface. I already want to come back pretty badly x_x we're staying in Tokyo until tomorrow when we'll start staying in Kyoto. First impressions are food is surprisingly cheap unless you want to try the super fancy stuff, but transportation and other expenses can pile up easily, specially when you have an easily impressed significant other travelling with you lol
I remember an old friend coming up with the quote "Japan is like a really cool shopping mall with a really expensive parking lot" and I think it fits to this day. You can burn through money on a suica or a rail pass/shinkansen... plus the little things here or there... but the food at most places you get a good value... and there's so much to always see and do, ESPECIALLY on weekends... that's why whenever I go I try to include two weekends on trips just because there's always something going on.

Heading to Japan for the first time on Thursday. Staying about a week. Literally a last minute thing too (booked yesterday). Staying in Shinjuku.

I'll be going solo. Don't know what the hell I'm doing. Any english/foreigner friendly bars I should try? Read something about Golden Gai area?

Priz

Heading to Japan for the first time on Thursday. Staying about a week. Literally a last minute thing too (booked yesterday). Staying in Shinjuku.

I'll be going solo. Don't know what the hell I'm doing. Any english/foreigner friendly bars I should try? Read something about Golden Gai area?
Google Maps and wifi hotspots are your friend. Help you find your way anywhere... so handy.

http://www.yamachan.co.jp/shop/shop_detail.php?number=84&area=tokyo
Good place to go with friends, English menus. Here's their Shinjuku location. Get the tebasaki (Nagoya-style wings) which are the bomb. Also their other Miso-based dishes is what they're known for (Wings are their top dish)

Use the phrase "Eigo menu?" as if asking a question. ("Egg-oh Menu") to get the English menu at most places.

Most places are bilingual, easy to figure out.

Got a lot of free time starting the 22nd. Trying to figure out what I want to do. Any places you guys recommend this time of year? I live in Japan btw, but don't travel to much outside certain places I have a specific reason to go to.

Pretty meh on Tokyo, but not opposed to going if there is something interesting at the end of the year. Would rather not deal with a ton of snow so Hokkaido is out as well lol. Trying to not hangout in Fukuoka again as my crutch either lol.

Alright, so I was looking to go and see some shows in Japan while I'm there but not knowing Japanese makes it a bit difficult to find underground stuff and clubs playing metal or hardcore or punk shows. I'd even go to a basement show, though I doubt Japan actually has those as I bet noise complaints are treated way more serious there than here.

I've found a couple places but it's hard sorta navigating and figuring out what's what.

Are there any places in Tokyo that are sort of known for something that could even just be a bunch of local hardcore bands tearing shit up in front of like 30 people?

Fireblend

Banned
So we planned to go to Fushimi Inari and Arashiyama today but it seems like the forecast is predicting some rain for today and none at all for tomorrow, so I'll make an strategic switch and do some shopping today instead. Sounds like a plan, right?

Also, I should be able to get to Fushimi Inari using the JR Nara line with my JR pass for no cost, right? Do I just walk up to someone at the gates and show them my pass?

This place keeps blowing my mind everyday btw. We went to Pontocho alley for dinner yesterday and it felt like stepping into a time machine. So many pictures too, I'll see if I can share some here soon,if not I'll wait until the end of the trip.

Coming here, best decision ever.

So we planned to go to Fushimi Inari and Arashiyama today but it seems like the forecast is predicting some rain for today and none at all for tomorrow, so I'll make an strategic switch and do some shopping today instead. Sounds like a plan, right?

Also, I should be able to get to Fushimi Inari using the JR Nara line with my JR pass for no cost, right? Do I just walk up to someone at the gates and show them my pass?

Yes and yes. Gotta go to the manned gate and not one of the automated ones of course ;P

Well it was an interesting first night. Walked around Kabukicho 2-3am in the morning. Damn everyone from mama-sans, young japanese girls, nigerians, guys in tux, track suits running up to me asking if I want happy ending nice young Japanese girls. I wasn't even walking "near" them, I just kept hearing "hey" or "excuse me" from afar. Feels like I'm in one of the Yakuza games. It was funny at first but it got old fast.

Also had Ichiran Ramen with extra noodles, it was damn good.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNzyx3ogZQ5/

sfedai0

Banned
Well it was an interesting first night. Walked around Kabukicho 2-3am in the morning. Damn everyone from mama-sans, young japanese girls, nigerians, guys in tux, track suits running up to me asking if I want happy ending nice young Japanese girls. I wasn't even walking "near" them, I just kept hearing "hey" or "excuse me" from afar. Feels like I'm in one of the Yakuza games. It was funny at first but it got old fast.

Also had Ichiran Ramen with extra noodles, it was damn good.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNzyx3ogZQ5/

Dude, guide your noodles in with your chopstick. Dont just dump it in like that you noob. Glad you enjoyed it. If you want some really top notch ramen joints, PM me and Ill give you some choices.

olympia

Dude, guide your noodles in with your chopstick. Dont just dump it in like that you noob. Glad you enjoyed it. If you want some really top notch ramen joints, PM me and Ill give you some choices.

Lmao. I'll pm you too

Alright, so I was looking to go and see some shows in Japan while I'm there but not knowing Japanese makes it a bit difficult to find underground stuff and clubs playing metal or hardcore or punk shows. I'd even go to a basement show, though I doubt Japan actually has those as I bet noise complaints are treated way more serious there than here.

I've found a couple places but it's hard sorta navigating and figuring out what's what.

Are there any places in Tokyo that are sort of known for something that could even just be a bunch of local hardcore bands tearing shit up in front of like 30 people?

Honestly if you find an answer to this I'd love to know

Triteon

Lmao. I'll pm you too

Actually when I was in Shimokitazawa I watched a bunch of bands.

They weren't punk, more experimental noise and metal but ithere were a bunch of other shows going on as well so I'm sure you could find something that floats your boat.

There are a bunch of venues located all around the place. The only one I remember the name of was The Basement.

The best/worst thing about the shows was that they finished really early, I guess its so people can get home on the train but it felt weird leaving a gig at 10-11pm

Zatoth

Spent the last few days in the Nagano and Takayama area. Did not expect it to be so cold. It even snowed today. Tomorrow I am heading towards Matsuyama. Should be warmer again. Probably will not visit these places again. Should have done a day trip from Tokyo instead of staying in Nagano.

Liked Takayama better. But don't think I'd be interested in visiting it another time.

Shirakawa-go
DSC01356.JPG

Fritz

Spent the last few days in the Nagano and Takayama area. Did not expect it to be so cold. It even snowed today. Tomorrow I am heading towards Matsuyama. Should be warmer again. Probably will not visit these places again. Should have done a day trip from Tokyo instead of staying in Nagano.

Liked Takayama better. But don't think I'd be interested in visiting it another time.

Did you visit Shirakawa-go?

Zatoth

Yes. Edited a picture in. Liked it. But too cold. :D

[edit]Watching Die Hard 2 with a Japanese Dub in TV right now. Bruce's voice actor is glorious. Almost as bad as German dubs of Asian movies.

Fritz

Yes. Edited a picture in. Liked it. But too cold. :D

[edit]Watching Die Hard 2 with a Japanese Dub in TV right now. Bruce's voice actor is glorious. Almost as bad as German dubs of Asian movies.

Beautiful! If you're German the temperature shouldn't be too shocking.

Actually when I was in Shimokitazawa I watched a bunch of bands.

They weren't punk, more experimental noise and metal but ithere were a bunch of other shows going on as well so I'm sure you could find something that floats your boat.

There are a bunch of venues located all around the place. The only one I remember the name of was The Basement.

The best/worst thing about the shows was that they finished really early, I guess its so people can get home on the train but it felt weird leaving a gig at 10-11pm

That's super helpful actually, it gives me a place to start. And yeah, that stuff sounds right up my alley. I'm just looking for loud noisy kids playing in small dingy places for like 30 people.

And I'm from Boston, I'm starting to get used to shows starting at stupid hours so they can kick us out at like 11. Shit's starting to become all too common so they can rush us out for the club night people to come in and set up.

I'm also gonna hit up a bunch of music stores to see if I can find some Midori records.

Zatoth

Beautiful! If you're German the temperature shouldn't be too shocking.

Austrian. Still too cold. Not used to running around the whole day in the cold. But I think they said it reaches -20 Degree in the colder months. So it could have been worse.

Still glad I saw the village covered in snow. Looked amazing.

Will post more pictures when I am back home.

Fireblend

Banned
Just got back from Fushimi Inari, we wanted to pair it with Arashiyama, but we liked it so much we ended up spending most of the day. It was mind blowing, what a place. And the stall food was outstanding, I dunno if that's there the entire year or if it's a seasonal thing, but wow. Now resting for a bit before heading to Dotonbori for dinner.

We plan on going to Arashiyama tomorrow; does anyone know of renting a bike there is a good idea? We want to visit the Monkey Park, can we park the bikes outside the park and then continue riding once we're done there?

Thriller

JR Pass? Nope.

Thanks, I wasn't sure anymore. That's all I needed to know.
In April i'll go to Japan again and Ill get a 1 week rail pass and on the last day of my JR rail pass week I'll come back to Tokyo and just use my suica card in and around tokyo for one week.

I'm already getting hyped again :D

Fritz

Austrian. Still too cold. Not used to running around the whole day in the cold. But I think they said it reaches -20 Degree in the colder months. So it could have been worse.

Still glad I saw the village covered in snow. Looked amazing.

Will post more pictures when I am back home.

Even more so then:p enjoy your trip and looking forward to the pics!

Copons

JR Pass? Nope.

Well, wait though!
If someone is not aware of how the subway works in Japan, with all the different companies and whatnot, this is a misleading answer! :)

JR Pass covers (almost) everything JR, including the JR sort-of-subway-system.
Which means, for example: the JR Yamanote and Chuo lines in Tokyo, the JR Loop line in Osaka.
They are officially train lines, but 100% subway for frequency and usage.

Especially in Tokyo, the JR Yamanote line is an excellent mean of transportation even without the JR Pass.

EDIT: oh wait, it's quite clear Thriller knew what he was talking about and with this answer I come out super annoying. :D

Triteon

That's super helpful actually, it gives me a place to start. And yeah, that stuff sounds right up my alley. I'm just looking for loud noisy kids playing in small dingy places for like 30 people.

And I'm from Boston, I'm starting to get used to shows starting at stupid hours so they can kick us out at like 11. Shit's starting to become all too common so they can rush us out for the club night people to come in and set up.

I'm also gonna hit up a bunch of music stores to see if I can find some Midori records.

I think you might really like Shimotikazawa. I feel like a broken record sometimes with all the praise I have for the area but it appealed to my tastes tremendously. Its not as 24/7 as Shinjuku, its a lot smaller, a bit sleepy but it had the kind of shops and music i'm into.

Its very hipsterish, for lack of a better term, not so much guys with funny moustaches but a lot of "cool" coffee shops, vintage clothing, record stores and small music venues. Maybe try and spend an day/night combo out there?

Fireblend

Banned
Anyone know if there's any OTC cream or pills I can get here for cold sores? I saw some cream for stomatitis but I don't think that's gonna work. There doesn't seem to be a word for Acyclovir in Japanese either :p

Zatoth

Did you try a pharmacy or drug store? Just try to describe what you need with your hand and feet if they don't understand English.

Are you still in Kyoto? I will be heading there tomorrow or they day after. Could give you something that may help.

Fireblend

Banned
I got something from a drugstore but I think it's meant for blisters from biting your lips or something like that. And if it's not much trouble let me know when you're around and I'll see how bad it is :p

We're at Arashiyama now, wonderful weather and renting bikes was definitely the way to go. Already on our way up the monkey park trail :D

OK so looking at places to stay in Osaka, I think I have it down to 2 hotels.

First one is
https://www.expedia.com.au/Osaka-Ho.../04/2017&adults=1&children=0&ts=1477370700315

other one is
https://www.expedia.com.au/Osaka-Ho...yLength=&adults=1&children=0&ts=1479959396122

(ignore the dates on those, just scoping out prices)

The first one I like cause its super close to Shin-Osaka station, will be great for when I want to Bullet Train down to Hiroshima and then onto Nagasaki, I can walk to the station and catch the earliest train. Also it would be great for just ease of getting around. One thing is though it looks like a quiet area so won't be able to stay out super late and need to rely on the trains.

Second one looks super lovely, great looking rooms and only 30 mins walk from Dontobori which means can stay out later and spoilt for choices on places to eat, but will make it harder for when I want to Bullet Train around.

Anyone offer any advice on which you think is going to be the best?

Fireblend

Banned
The Bamboo Grooves in Arashiyama are being lit up at night this week and I think the next one as well? We almost froze to death but they were quite pretty :D

We're heading to Nara tomorrow. Is it as advisable to rent a bike there as it is in Arashiyama? Any restaurant recommendations?

OK so looking at places to stay in Osaka, I think I have it down to 2 hotels.

First one is
https://www.expedia.com.au/Osaka-Ho.../04/2017&adults=1&children=0&ts=1477370700315

other one is
https://www.expedia.com.au/Osaka-Ho...yLength=&adults=1&children=0&ts=1479959396122

(ignore the dates on those, just scoping out prices)

The first one I like cause its super close to Shin-Osaka station, will be great for when I want to Bullet Train down to Hiroshima and then onto Nagasaki, I can walk to the station and catch the earliest train. Also it would be great for just ease of getting around. One thing is though it looks like a quiet area so won't be able to stay out super late and need to rely on the trains.

Second one looks super lovely, great looking rooms and only 30 mins walk from Dontobori which means can stay out later and spoilt for choices on places to eat, but will make it harder for when I want to Bullet Train around.

Anyone offer any advice on which you think is going to be the best?

Personally, I would tend towards the cheaper one. You aren't going to Japan for the hotel. You're going for the things around it.

It depends on how important being in Dotonbori late is I guess. You can get there easily via public transportation. If you think you'll be out later than the trains run, stay in the other one. Otherwise, pick the cheap one.

The Bamboo Grooves in Arashiyama are being lit up at night this week and I think the next one as well? We almost froze to death but they were quite pretty :D

We're heading to Nara tomorrow. Is it as advisable to rent a bike there as it is in Arashiyama? Any restaurant recommendations?

Look awesome, I was there in early november, it was raining and it was very very dark. Here it was when a car passed by.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Best recommended pocket wifi? I think last year we used Tocoo and they were OK (we rented two) but we did still run out of data a lot and the slow modes were *really* slow. Looking around most seem to have similar limitations

Priz

Best recommended pocket wifi? I think last year we used Tocoo and they were OK (we rented two) but we did still run out of data a lot and the slow modes were *really* slow. Looking around most seem to have similar limitations

I used http://www.pupuru.com/en/service/emobile/ and http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html on previous trips...

IIRC, I think I had better service with the former... this trip the AirBNB included a nice Y-Mobile one with 99gb/limit

Zatoth

Using the most expensive GAC and a Tocoo at the moment. GAC has a much better coverage. Even in cities Tocoo has no connection in quite a few places. But I have not been in the typical tourist cities. Tocoo may be okay for those. Will see how Tocoo does in Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo.

If you want no data cap GAC may be the best option anyway.

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/japantravelinternet

Here you can find a list with other options.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I used http://www.pupuru.com/en/service/emobile/ and http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html on previous trips...

IIRC, I think I had better service with the former... this trip the AirBNB included a nice Y-Mobile one with 99gb/limit

Thanks. Trying purupuru this year, renting one unlimited one for a little more peace of mind (last year had 1GB rolling across 3 days and it was constantly throttling). If we get split up I can use my phones data allowance for £5 per day occasionally

I will post more detail soon and comprehensive detail about my recent trip to Japan. But until then, to answer your question, I do not think it is necessary to rent a bike. Walking is best. It allows you to take in the sights at your pleasure, stop very easily and have a snack along the street. Nara was truly the highlight, the deer are adorable and the town in general is very welcoming to tourists. For food, we stop for lunch at some noodle/ramen place with lots of indoor seating, in the middle of the main park. Cost under $10/person.

Used Sakura Mobile and it was perfect. Battery life was amazing. Shipped to hotel.

Fireblend

Banned
About the pocket WiFi, all of the Airbnb rooms we've been staying at have offered us one and they've all worked great. When we first arrived at the one we're at now the one we got wasn't working great, but I told our host and he replaced it with one that's been great. For when we're in between rooms I got a sim card that's been good enough.

Personally, I would tend towards the cheaper one. You aren't going to Japan for the hotel. You're going for the things around it.

It depends on how important being in Dotonbori late is I guess. You can get there easily via public transportation. If you think you'll be out later than the trains run, stay in the other one. Otherwise, pick the cheap one.
I think they were about the same price, but yeah prob leaning towards to one near the Shin-Osaka station as it will make things heaps easier.

danowat

Banned
Hey JapanGAF, my wife and I are finally, after decades of wanting to, travelling to Japan next May, we've booked flights and tentatively booked hotels at each destination, but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on what I plan to do.
Have I missed anything?, or are there any suggestions that someone would give?, bare in mind we are (cough) middle aged!

Land Narita 9th May, N'ex transfer to Sunroute plaza Shinjuku.

10th May

A Day in Modern Tokyo

11th May

Kamakura

12th May

Traditional Tokyo East Side

13th May

Free day

14th May

Mount Fuji, Lake Kawaguchiko

15th May

Hama rikyu gardens & Imperial place

16th May

Shinkansen to Kyoto

17th May

Shrines & Fushimi Inari Taisha

18th May

Free day

19th May

Temples, Bamboo forest, Kyoto imperial palace

20th May

Shinkansen to Hiroshima

21th May

Miyajima

22nd May

Atomic bomb dome, Peace Museum, Park, Hiroshima Castle

23rd May

Free day

24th May

Shinkansen to Tokyo

25th May

Fly out

Hey JapanGAF, my wife and I are finally, after decades of wanting to, travelling to Japan next May, we've booked flights and tentatively booked hotels at each destination, but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on what I plan to do.
Have I missed anything?, or are there any suggestions that someone would give?, bare in mind we are (cough) middle aged!
snip

Seems like you are gonna take a lot of time to do what you want and most importantly take time to just have free time to do whatever you want. (it is a vacation after all)

What kind of things are you interested in? Are you wanting to do more shopping or maybe simply sight seeing, more temples/samurai history stuff instead of modern attractions and things?

I would recommend making time for:

Osaka! My favorite city. Osaka is known for being all hustle and bustle but its got some interesting history stuff. Actually only a 45ish minute train ride(not shinkansen) from Kyoto. Osaka Castle really is amazing to see and walk through. Also the Koffun burial mounds are interesting since most people don't know they are there in such a huge city.

Also seems like you want to take your time in most of these places (personally feel like you could explore Tokyo in a few days and be done with it but I personally don't like it that much haha)

For Kyoto I would say do one of those cheesy rickshaw rides complete with commemorative photos with your wife haha. They come out pretty good, can even dress up in Yukata and Kimono.

Oh and look up local foods of the places your visiting. Even though the foods can be found everywhere, certian locations are famous for their versions or the original version of something. Especially Ramen, there are a million types of ramen to try and they are all mostly delicious. Same for things like sushi, takoyaki, okonomiaki, and so on.

danowat

Banned
Seems like you are gonna take a lot of time to do what you want and most importantly take time to just have free time to do whatever you want. (it is a vacation after all)

What kind of things are you interested in? Are you wanting to do more shopping or maybe simply sight seeing, more temples/samurai history stuff instead of modern attractions and things?

I would recommend making time for:

Osaka! My favorite city. Osaka is known for being all hustle and bustle but its got some interesting history stuff. Actually only a 45ish minute train ride(not shinkansen) from Kyoto. Osaka Castle really is amazing to see and walk through. Also the Koffun burial mounds are interesting since most people don't know they are there in such a huge city.

Also seems like you want to take your time in most of these places (personally feel like you could explore Tokyo in a few days and be done with it but I personally don't like it that much haha)

For Kyoto I would say do one of those cheesy rickshaw rides complete with commemorative photos with your wife haha. They come out pretty good, can even dress up in Yukata and Kimono.

Oh and look up local foods of the places your visiting. Even though the foods can be found everywhere, certian locations are famous for their versions or the original version of something. Especially Ramen, there are a million types of ramen to try and they are all mostly delicious. Same for things like sushi, takoyaki, okonomiaki, and so on.

Thanks for that, very helpful.

I did wonder if 7 days was too much in Tokyo, however, I've got to think about possible jetlag and the potential of having to write off the first day, that said, two of the days in Tokyo are actually side trips (Mt Fuji and Kamakura)

Osaka sounds interesting, I might see if I can fit that on the free day while we are in Kyoto, but I have got to be mindful of doing too much, as you say, it is a holiday after all!

I'll definitely look up one of the rickshaw rides!.

My wife is interested in shopping (me not so much), but I would like to explore some of the more niche / otaku shops.

Good tip about the food, we've already decided that we are going to pick up Okiben for the Shinkansen trips, I understand these are also (or can be) specific for the area?.

One thing that does concern us slightly, is the possible language barrier, we are planning to learn a few phrases and such to try and get by, but the Kanji style of writing is a barrier, how easy is it to become stuck due to the language barrier?, do most places have an English menu?, I see some places you order food on a machine, can that be an issue for English speakers?

One thing that does concern us slightly, is the possible language barrier, we are planning to learn a few phrases and such to try and get by, but the Kanji style of writing is a barrier, how easy is it to become stuck due to the language barrier?, do most places have an English menu?, I see some places you order food on a machine, can that be an issue for English speakers?

Subways have announcements and signs in English.

I'd say in Tokyo maybe 50% of restaurants have menus in English, but pretty much all have pictures.

Top Bottom