• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

KillGore

So I already asked for Tokyo but about Osaka, which is the best station to stay close to? Shin-Osaka? Osaka? I want to go around the city and to Kyoto.

What about Kyobashi station?

btw, will I be able to move around the city just as easily if I stay near Kyobashi station instead of Osaka (or Shin-Osaka)?

Yeah, it got access to JR, a subway line and Keihan railway.

Shin-Osaka isn't that good a place to stay unless you're planning to mostly travel outside of Osaka.

Fireblend

Banned
I'll second Namba. We stayed in Kyoto and traveled to Osaka 3 days in a row which worked out well enough since we were right next to the station, but Namba's definitely the place to stay if you want to optimize your time spent there.

Defunkled

Looking for some help on cheap flights to Japan. My wife and I went during Christmas of 2012 and our flights were $1200 each, round trip, Cleveland to Tokyo.

We've been watching June/July 2017 flights for the last two months and the cheapest round trip we've seen is $2000. Have prices really changed that much in the last 4 years? Or is it just because of the time of year?

KillGore

So I asked for Tokyo and Osaka, last place, Kyoto. Where would be the best place to stay in Kyoto? I'm looking at hotels near Kyoto Station. Any other recommendation?

Also, I reserved a Holiday Inn in Namba. Still haven't cancelled the one in Kyobashi, just in case.

Looking for some help on cheap flights to Japan. My wife and I went during Christmas of 2012 and our flights were $1200 each, round trip, Cleveland to Tokyo.

We've been watching June/July 2017 flights for the last two months and the cheapest round trip we've seen is $2000. Have prices really changed that much in the last 4 years? Or is it just because of the time of year?

I honestly don't have the answer to that but when I purchased my tickets 4 months ago they were very cheap, suddenly a month passed and the prices suddenly hiked up, for all dates, on all airlines, except Chinese airlines. Not sure why though. Hope it goes down eventually.

The only advice I can give you is, if you want cheaper flights, buy the tickets separately. At least in my case it lowered the cost substantially. When searching for tickets, if I wrote Puerto Rico to Tokyo the prices ended up being $2,000+. So what I did was I purchased tickets from Puerto Rico to Los Angeles and then bought the other tickets from Los Angeles to Tokyo. Got them for $900 (before the price hike of course).

use google.com/flights and/or kayak.com

That's pretty far out so you might want to wait a bit and try again later. I would also make sure you are using a private browser and, if possible, a VPN. If you're checking a lot that could make the prices artificially high.

For reference, I bought tickets for April during a prime season a month ago direct from Chicago. Our tickets were a few hundred dollars less than your previous flight. I don't know how much of a difference it made but I bought my tickets incognito with my computer appearing to be located in Virginia.

So I asked for Tokyo and Osaka, last place, Kyoto. Where would be the best place to stay in Kyoto? I'm looking at hotels near Kyoto Station. Any recommendation?

Something near Shijo Kawaramachi or Kyoto Station I'd say.

The only advice I can give you is, if you want cheaper flights, buy the tickets separately. At least in my case it lowered the cost substantially. When searching for tickets, if I wrote Puerto Rico to Tokyo the prices ended up being $2,000+. So what I did was I purchased tickets from Puerto Rico to Los Angeles and then bought the other tickets from Los Angeles to Tokyo. Got them for $900 (before the price hike of course).

Be aware of the drawbacks with this as well though when it comes to luggage and planning transfer time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really learned to love Google Maps in Japan. It's impressive how easy traveling became.

I actually started leading the way to some places with the help of google maps, and my wife is native Japanese :) even the stations as long as you know which line you need in advance you can usually manage pretty fine.

So I asked for Tokyo and Osaka, last place, Kyoto. Where would be the best place to stay in Kyoto? I'm looking at hotels near Kyoto Station. Any other recommendation?

Also, I reserved a Holiday Inn in Namba. Still haven't cancelled the one in Kyobashi, just in case.

I honestly don't have the answer to that but when I purchased my tickets 4 months ago they were very cheap, suddenly a month passed and the prices suddenly hiked up, for all dates, on all airlines, except Chinese airlines. Not sure why though. Hope it goes down eventually.

use google.com/flights and/or kayak.com

I stayed at apa hotel kyotoeki-horikawadori. It's only a few minutes walk (maybe 3-5 mins) to Kyoto station and all the buses there, which can basically take you all over Kyoto.

The price was not bad at all, but the only drawback was that the room was very compact. With both myself and my wife and our luggage the room was a bit tight, moreso than other hotels I stayed at in Yokohama and Tokyo. I got used to it pretty quick though with no issues.

KillGore

Be aware of the drawbacks with this as well though when it comes to luggage and planning transfer time.

Yup. Since the travel time is over 26 hours (minimum) I decided to stay one night in LA. That way I can recharge and take the 12 hour flight from LA to TYO.

Something near Shijo Kawaramachi or Kyoto Station I'd say.

I stayed at apa hotel kyotoeki-horikawadori. It's only a few minutes walk (maybe 3-5 mins) to Kyoto station and all the buses there, which can basically take you all over Kyoto.

The price was not bad at all, but the only drawback was that the room was very compact. With both myself and my wife and our luggage the room was a bit tight, moreso than other hotels I stayed at in Yokohama and Tokyo. I got used to it pretty quick though with no issues.

thanks!

Niks

Thanks for the great thread.
Im planning to solo travel to Tokyo for 10 days in april or may (avoiding golden week days ofc) and I have some questions, hopefully you guys can help me with.

What would be a normal daily budget for food for solo travel? (breakfast dinner lunch). I dont plan to eat anywhere fancy.

Im looking to use airbnb for a place to sleep. Any of you guys have any recommended places?

Since Im staying only in Tokyo, what mode of transportation / pass should I use? (Suica?) And what would be the average cost of moving about for 10 days?

Im still reading through the thread, its a lot to take in, haha

Hey again guys. haven't checked in a few days, but I'm back in Tokyo now. I'm feeling a little better, but my body has still been a little weak ever since I got sick those few days ago. Still managing, but would've been a more fun time if I never got sick.

I'm posting on here because I really need advice. I need to buy a new piece of luggage. The big duffel bag I got broke on me on the way back from Kyoto. Cheap ass wal-mart brand. The pull handle lost it's screws, and when I go back to the airport, it's gonna be impossible for me to move it without that so I need a replacement. I also need something probably a little bigger than what I had so I can fit some of these souvenirs in it as well.

I'm currently staying at a hotel in Higashi Shinjuku, so if there's someplace nearby that anyone can point me towards that sells good size and relatively cheapish (i know that's a tough one to ask, but whatever won't break the bank) luggage with wheels. I'd really appreciate the help!

Hey again guys. haven't checked in a few days, but I'm back in Tokyo now. I'm feeling a little better, but my body has still been a little weak ever since I got sick those few days ago. Still managing, but would've been a more fun time if I never got sick.

I'm posting on here because I really need advice. I need to buy a new piece of luggage. The big duffel bag I got broke on me on the way back from Kyoto. Cheap ass wal-mart brand. The pull handle lost it's screws, and when I go back to the airport, it's gonna be impossible for me to move it without that so I need a replacement. I also need something probably a little bigger than what I had so I can fit some of these souvenirs in it as well.

I'm currently staying at a hotel in Higashi Shinjuku, so if there's someplace nearby that anyone can point me towards that sells good size and relatively cheapish (i know that's a tough one to ask, but whatever won't break the bank) luggage with wheels. I'd really appreciate the help!

Maybe the closest Muji?

kubus

Aside from maybe Muji, Nitori and perhaps Loft I can't really think of anything right now. If you have trouble finding a physical store or something that fits your needs, you can buy stuff from Amazon Japan and have it delivered to a convenience store nearby. Not sure if you have the time for that though.

Fritz

I think there is an American Apparel on lower Cat Street. I know they have duffle bags. Muji doesn't have duffle bags.

I think there is an American Apparel on lower Cat Street. I know they have duffle bags. Muji doesn't have duffle bags.

Well I'll check them out tomorrow. Feet are killing me cuz I've been walking for almost 11 hours straight today. Heading back to my room to relax for tonight I think.

I hope I find something :( Am I completely crazy that I hope to find something kinda big for no more than 10-15 thousand yen?

okay, thank you guys...walked over to Don Quijote tonight, and they do have luggage there in my price range, and size I'm looking for. The interior was just so confusing, that it took a bit to find.

If it hasn't been obvious yet, I guess I've been quite a bit overwhelmed by this experience. My year and a half of studying japanese has felt mostly useless while I've been here, and traveling alone has felt more...lonely than I had hoped. I appreciate the help greatly, because I don't know where else to turn.

Edit: Sorry, yet another question. I'm thinking of finally hitting up Akihabara tomorrow. Primary place I'm thinking of going is Super Potato, but was wondering what other game related shops you guys would recommend I look for so I don't miss. I also wouldn't mind looking at shops with cool figures. Is there someplace that sells both new and some a little old figmas? Also, if I did want to go to a place like maidreamin', do I have to make a reservation? or is it the kind of place you can still walk in?

Sorry, yet another question. I'm thinking of finally hitting up Akihabara tomorrow. Primary place I'm thinking of going is Super Potato, but was wondering what other game related shops you guys would recommend I look for so I don't miss. I also wouldn't mind looking at shops with cool figures. Is there someplace that sells both new and some a little old figmas? Also, if I did want to go to a place like maidreamin', do I have to make a reservation? or is it the kind of place you can still walk in?

Go to Friends and Mandarake, maps here:
http://www.chriskohler.biz/retro-game-shops-japan/

They got figmas at Mandarake as well. There's Jungle and the amiami store that's decent for figmas as well. Or just go to the Radio Kaikan building and work your way down from the 9th floor, there's lots of figure and hobby stores there selling all kinds of figures :p

No need to reserve for maid cafés.

Fireblend

Banned
Dunno if you're interested in board games, but if you are don't miss Role & Roll Station. You can get some amazing "indie" Japanese board games there that would be pretty hard to find elsewhere. Yellow Submarine is another board game store worth checking out but it was more focused on trading card games and I ended up liking Role & Roll Station more.

Videogame-wise, check out Traders, Retro Game Camp and Friends. Also, there's another Super Potato in Ikebukuro in case you want to hunt down something specific and can't find it in Akihabara. It's a bit far from Akihabara though :p

Go to Friends and Mandarake, maps here:
http://www.chriskohler.biz/retro-game-shops-japan/

They got figmas at Mandarake as well. There's Jungle and the amiami store that's decent for figmas as well.

No need to reserve for maid cafés.

Thank you so much. I'll make a note of those stores. ^_^ Look forward to sharing what kind of souvenirs I end up getting with you guys.

One of the reasons I need a bigger luggage case also, is I was walking by a Taito station, and I saw one crane machine with Slimes in it...I love Dragon Quest, and my Mom loves slime, so I had to give it a try. Well after only 3 attempts, I walked away with this guy xD

TH7gSUF.jpg

This is my biggest......fear?........

I've been wanting to visit Japan for decades, so I hope I haven't built it up too much!

This has been a part of it a little for me. There are still elements of Japan that seem wonderful compared to back home. I envy just the technological conveniences they have put into place that most places in the US are too lazy or cheap to add, because what we have is "good enough." The land and some of the places I've seen are the coolest and most beautiful places I've been to so far.

Then there's just the elements of this is still a land full of humans, and humans can be assholes. I'm from Wisconsin, which isn't the most populated of states, but not small either. I still wasn't prepared for the crowds here though. I am constantly taken aback by just how many people there are, and how many of them just walk in front of me, and show no courtesy. I'm constantly making sure I don't walk right into anyone, but no one else seems to give a fuck. This is new to me, because I'm not used to the crowds.

One of the most startling realizations for me though is, even before I came here, I had not really have many opportunities to eat Japanese food, let alone anything authentic in Wisconsin that often. I was eager to try them here, because I'm open to that...Even before getting food poisoning, I came to realize that I don't think I like Japanese food...except maybe the sweets. So much of my food time has been finding bread, and seeking out a grocery store in Tokyo so I could get PB and J, which was hard to find in how the store was organized. That and McDonalds has kinda become my diet while I'm here, because ever since I got sick, I've been too afraid to go out of my comfort zone again.

One of the most startling realizations for me though is, even before I came here, I had not really have many opportunities to eat Japanese food, let alone anything authentic in Wisconsin that often. I was eager to try them here, because I'm open to that...Even before getting food poisoning, I came to realize that I don't think I like Japanese food...except maybe the sweets. So much of my food time has been finding bread, and seeking out a grocery store in Tokyo so I could get PB and J, which was hard to find in how the store was organized. That and McDonalds has kinda become my diet while I'm here, because ever since I got sick, I've been too afraid to go out of my comfort zone again.

Are you from Madison? I had the choice between there and Chicago for jobs and one of the reasons I chose Chicago was that the Japanese restaurant in Madison was so bad.

Good luck getting that slime home by the way. Wow.

I still wasn't prepared for the crowds here though. I am constantly taken aback by just how many people there are, and how many of them just walk in front of me, and show no courtesy. I'm constantly making sure I don't walk right into anyone, but no one else seems to give a fuck. This is new to me, because I'm not used to the crowds.

I came to realize that I don't think I like Japanese food...except maybe the sweets. So much of my food time has been finding bread, and seeking out a grocery store in Tokyo so I could get PB and J, which was hard to find in how the store was organized.

Just have to go with the flow since there's so many people.

The food is one of the best things about Japan! ;p

danowat

Banned
I'm used to London crowds and people just blowing through you like you aren't there, so I am hoping that it's just like that, but on a larger scale!.

Fireblend

Banned
Too bad about the food, Hyrule. It's easily what I miss the most about Japan. Ever since getting back I've been on a quest to find ramen half as good as I could get there for a fourth of the price I have to pay here T_T and the curry... I should've brought a duffel bag full of the stuff.

Fritz

I've been super overwhelmed with my first trip too. Have been planing to go for basically 20 years and just couldn't shake off the feeling of "this is the one chance to soak it all in!" I was super restless, soar legs every night, had too much convenience food and just didn't find the time to let it sink in. Also felt kinda lonely after the first week since I hardly found anyone to speak to because of the language barrier. On the other hand I was freaked by the crowds and that's coming from Berlin. It's just that you kinda have to pay for personal space and tranquility. It's not a given. Even hiking in the alps I bumped into people constantly.

When I returned everybody asked how it was and I just felt it was kinda meh. But after a while I got a strong urge to return.

Second time I took it much easier. And I ended up in a hostel with fantastic staff and patrons at the bar so I crushed there almost every night and had plenty of good talks. Had an absolute blast.

I'm used to London crowds and people just blowing through you like you aren't there, so I am hoping that it's just like that, but on a larger scale!.

There's that and the amount of people making it difficult to cross the flow of people when getting to the other side of roads of popular locations/places inside train stations, sometimes it can be difficult to get off trains/buses when they're crammed full, and if you're a fast walker you might need to adjust your pace to whatever the flow of people are doing :p

Oh, and the queues at some restaurants which can be hours long aren't fun if you're planning on going to specific ones.

Second time I took it much easier. And I ended up in a hostel with fantastic staff and patrons at the bar so I crushed there almost every night and had plenty of good talks. Had an absolute blast.

+ the GAF meetup, right? ;P

danowat

Banned
Oh, and the queues at some restaurants which can be hours long aren't fun if you're planning on going to specific ones.

Yeah, I've heard that can be an issue, we're not fussy, I get that a line in a good sign, but we'll eat anything, I've heard the restaurant floor of department stores is a decent option.

Fritz

Yeah, I've heard that can be an issue, we're not fussy, I get that a line in a good sign, but we'll eat anything, I've heard the restaurant floor of department stores is a decent option.

Gurunavi and tabelog websites are your friends. There's always a good place to eat around the corner. I thought helpful in beating lines was eating a bit anti cyclic. Like lunch before noon or after 2 pm.

The thing with takeaway (like from a conbini or a department store's food floor) for me has always been to find a place to sit down and eat other than your hotel room.

danowat

Banned
Gurunavi and tabelog websites are your friends. There's always a good place to eat around the corner. I thought helpful in beating lines was eating a bit anti cycling. Like lunch before noon or after 2 pm.

The thing with takeaway (like from a conbini or a department store's food floor) for me has always been to find a place to sit down and eat other than your hotel room.

Thanks, those sites look helpful!

Lunch hours at like 11-14 and dinner hours from 18-21, depending on the location. Even if there's places that does have a long queue on restaurant floors, there's usually other places on the same floor that doesn't.

We generally only have one meal, so we'll probably aim to eat around 15.

You mean the basement food floors/halls? I think danowat is talking about the upper floors restaurants.

Top Bottom