• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Okay so I'm on the JR Pass website and far outtt that's so expensive. Ah well!

Also, in Tokyo, what would be the best way of getting around? I plan on moving about a lot through the city and was thinking that Suica/Pasmo would be my bet bet?

Just the trains from Tokyo->Kyoto, Osaka->Kanazawa, Kanazawa->Takayama and Takayama->Tokyo would be a minimum of 37k JPY.

It depends on whether you're only visiting Tokyo or outlying areas as well. Suica/Pasmo is usually the best idea for just Tokyo though. Depending on where you're planning to stay in Tokyo and what places to visit a Skyliner+72 hour subway pass might be good as well:
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetudou/skyliner/us/value_ticket/subway.php

Oh wow, that's insane! Issue for me using the JR Pass on the Yamamote means that I would need to get a 21 day pass instead which would probably be overkill. I'm not sure. Hmm.

Do not get the 21 day pass. It's not worth it to use just for Tokyo

One thing that I'm kinda bummed I haven't really found yet is a cool souvenir t-shirt of some kind to get. Am I just missing them? Even just something with a cute idol anime girl would be nice to get. Something that says Akihabara, ya know.

You could check the Akiba gift shop in the Radio Kaikan building.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just the trains from Tokyo->Kyoto, Osaka->Kanazawa, Kanazawa->Takayama and Takayama->Tokyo would be a minimum of 37k JPY

Holy shit. Is that Shinkansen? Never considered how much they cost as my wife always buys the big train tickets, I only ever top up the suica cards. And that's for one traveller? Ther are four of us.

danowat

Banned
Holy shit. Is that Shinkansen? Never considered how much they cost as my wife always buys the big train tickets, I only ever top up the suica cards. And that's for one traveller? Ther are four of us.

Just my trips of Tokyo - Kyoto - Hiroshima - Tokyo comes out at 46k JPY, per person, pretty much breaks even on a 14 day JR Pass without adding anything else into the mix

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just my trips of Tokyo - Kyoto - Hiroshima - Tokyo comes out at 46k JPY, per person, pretty much breaks even on a 14 day JR Pass without adding anything else into the mix

Going to ask my wife how much our trip to Hiroshima cost. Usually we do one trip per visit and then lots of local travel but a JR pass might be worth looking into. Assume you need a foreign passport or other ID so my wife wouldn't qualify but me and the kids would

danowat

Banned
Going to ask my wife how much our trip to Hiroshima cost. Usually we do one trip per visit and then lots of local travel but a JR pass might be worth looking into. Assume you need a foreign passport or other ID so my wife wouldn't qualify but me and the kids would

As far as I know, yeah, although up till April Japanese nationals that have permanent residence outside of Japan are eligible.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah we talked to several people during our trip that said making the same itinerary as we did would be prohibitively expensive for them since they didn't qualify for a JR Pass.

Mostly Shinkansen. There's no Shinkansen to Takayama or between Osaka->Kanazawa.

There's other passes that's cheaper as well if you're just doing Kyoto->Hiroshima or such (if you're doing Tokyo->Hiroshima, then the JR Pass is the best choice though).

Time to visit Norway as well then.

Norway-Lutefisk-01.jpg

uhhhh

N0VAM0D

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm now up to the point in planning where I'm booking some hostels! I've booked my accommodation for Tokyo and Kyoto, but I'm stuck on where to stay for Osaka, Kanazawa, and Takayama.

I've heard Osaka is all about nightlife and food, so I'll likely be spending most nights getting amongst that and staying out as late as I can manage without passing out. Where's a hostel with a nice, quirky vibe that a 21 year old girl would fit in with?

As for Kanazawa and Takayama, I'm interested in trying out a more traditional accommodation style. Any cheap suggestions?

I've heard Osaka is all about nightlife and food, so I'll likely be spending most nights getting amongst that and staying out as late as I can manage without passing out. Where's a hostel with a nice, quirky vibe that a 21 year old girl would fit in with?

Well, if you want the experience the nightlife in Osaka, you should stay somewhere near Dotonbori/Namba Station at least.

Fritz

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm now up to the point in planning where I'm booking some hostels! I've booked my accommodation for Tokyo and Kyoto, but I'm stuck on where to stay for Osaka, Kanazawa, and Takayama.

As for Kanazawa and Takayama, I'm interested in trying out a more traditional accommodation style. Any cheap suggestions?

I stayed in this temple in Takayama. I don't know how high your standards are. It certainly was something different and perfectly fine imho but aint no hotel.

https://takayamahostelzenkoji.com/

N0VAM0D

I stayed in this temple in Takayama. I don't know how high your standards are. It certainly was something different and perfectly fine imho but aint no hotel.

https://takayamahostelzenkoji.com/

That looks lovely! Everything reasonably priced in Takayama seems to be booked out though which is a shame... I just realised that the day I would head to Takayama is the second day of a big festival, which explains that! Thinking I might just add a night on to Kanazawa and do a day-trip to Shiwakarago and Takayama instead, it'll likely be cheaper and less hassle.

Well, if you want the experience the nightlife in Osaka, you should stay somewhere near Dotonbori/Namba Station at least.

Namba looks really good, I'm gonna try find something around there!

Other than the aquarium, where would be a good place to buy stuffed sea animal plushes?

Like, I have a giant isopod plush. Where would I find somewhere that sells those?

Im finally in japan!Its my first time ever leaving Canada( besides the us Im staying in a weekly mansion in Saitama and Im in Shinjuku for the day. So far its pretty awesome.

danowat

Banned
More transport questions, sorry!!!

So we are getting a 14 day JR Pass to cover our Shinkansen travel, and also the travel for things like Kamakura, Miyajima, Kawaghicho (yes, I understand some portion of this trip is on a private railway, and will need to be paid additionally).

My question is, for city based travel in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima, is it worth getting a travel card like Suica or Pasmo for these?, or just pay them as we go, also is it possible to stick to JR metro trains in Tokyo and use the JR Pass?

My question is, for city based travel in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima, is it worth getting a travel card like Suica or Pasmo for these?, or just pay them as we go, also is it possible to stick to JR metro trains in Tokyo and use the JR Pass?

Tokyo, yes if you need to take the subways and non-JR lines. Like if you're going to Asakusa, Skytree, Tokyo Tower or Roppongi. And you can use it in Kamakura too if you're planning to take the Enoshima Electric Railway.

Kyoto, no. Use bus passes.

Hiroshima trams and buses doesn't accept Suica or Pasmo, just Icoca :p

danowat

Banned
Tokyo, yes if you need to take the subways and non-JR lines. Like if you're going to Asakusa, Skytree, Tokyo Tower or Roppongi. And you can use it in Kamakura too if you're planning to take the Enoshima Electric Railway.

Kyoto, no. Use bus passes.

Hiroshima trams and buses doesn't accept Suica or Pasmo, just Icoca :p

Yes, we'll be doing Asakusa etc, so getting a Suica or Pasmo a good idea then? (which one?)

Kyoto get this two day pass card? > http://www.insidekyoto.com/special-kyoto-bus-train-subway-passes

Hiroshima get this small area pass card? > http://www.hiroshima-navi.or.jp/en/news/2016/07/3197899.php

Yes, we'll be doing Asakusa etc, so getting a Suica or Pasmo a good idea then? (which one?)

It doesn't matter which one you get.

In Kyoto just get a bunch of City Bus All-day Passes, unless you got any particular reason to use the 2 subways.

If you're just going to visit the main tourist attractions in Hiroshima, then you could just use the JR loop bus, which is covered by the JR Pass.

danowat

Banned

In Kyoto just get a bunch of City Bus All-day Passes, unless you got any particular reason to use the 2 subways.

If you're just going to visit the main tourist attractions in Hiroshima, then you could just use the JR loop bus, which is covered by the JR Pass.

Thanks, appreciated it!

danowat

Banned

Is that correct?, just reading about them and apparently

Suica is the prepaid IC card by JR East for JR trains in the Greater Tokyo, Niigata and Sendai regions.

Pasmo is the prepaid IC card of Tokyo's railway, subway and bus operators other than JR.

So as I have JR Pass, then a Suica is just doubling up on what I already have, and all I need is Pasmo?

Fireblend

Banned

JR Loop Bus? Huh... would've been good to know lol

And yeah, it doesn't matter if you get Suica or Pasmo for Tokyo, but do get one. They're super handy. Also keep in mind if you don't use them for a while and then come back to Tokyo you may need to go and reactivate them at a tickets office. Or at least we had to.

Leaving tomorrow! Starting to get real excited. My suitcase is big enough to fill full of shit I shouldn't be spending money on but will anyway, whoo-hoo!

Remember that you can use the Suica/Pasmo at (most) convenience stores as well, which is useful if you're just stopping to get some drinks and don't want to carry around that much extra change that you'd get otherwise. :p

The bigger arcades are using them as well to pay for credits. And I saw some vending machines that used them as well. You can use them to pay for storage lockers at stations also. It's easier to just swipe the card than enter the pin code from the receipt, haha.

First thing off the plane and getting to Tokyo got ramen at Kikanbo. I'm not a ramen guy or a pork guy so my friends were more excited to go but hooooooooly shit, that was absolutely amazing ramen. The pork was like butter it was so tender.

Going to Nakano and Sensoji Temple today, I believe.

TCRS

Banned
Ugh guys... book early, especially if you're flying during the main season. I saw some amazing deals but by the time my boss had confirmed my holidays prices had shot up by +30 %. most of the cheap tickets were either gone or you had ridiculous traveling times of +30h. Now I'm paying almost 500 Euros more for my tickets.

Anyway I'm looking at shuttle services to the hotel. Luckily the Limousine bus stops directly at my hotel. They have a deal with 2 bus tickets and 72h Tokyo Subway ticket for 6000 yens. Now on the first page it says we'll be mainly using JRail since we're in Tokyo... so should I go for it or no?

How many yens do I need to exchange anyway? We're staying for 6-7 days.

e: just read the above posts.. since we're going to some of those places (Tokyo Tower, Skytree, Asakusa) I guess I should get Pasmo and pay for JRail everytime I use it. We'll be going to Kamakura for sure and maybe another destination not too far from Tokyo. So I guess JRail passs doesn't make sense?

e2: ok did a little more research... all I really need to get around and use buses, JR, Tokyo subway is Suica. Convenient. I don't understand this comment though:

"The Suica cannot be used for continuous travel between areas. The use of transportation begun in one area must be ended in that area. When crossing from one area to another, first leave the ticket gate and then re-enter."
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html#category03

So what does that mean for Kamakura?

Anyway I'm looking at shuttle services to the hotel. Luckily the Limousine bus stops directly at my hotel. They have a deal with 2 bus tickets and 72h Tokyo Subway ticket for 6000 yens. Now on the first page it says we'll be mainly using JRail since we're in Tokyo... so should I go for it or no?

How many yens do I need to exchange anyway? We're staying for 6-7 days.

e: just read the above posts.. since we're going to some of those places (Tokyo Tower, Skytree, Asakusa) I guess I should get Pasmo and pay for JRail everytime I use it. We'll be going to Kamakura for sure and maybe another destination not too far from Tokyo. So I guess JRail passs doesn't make sense?

e2: ok did a little more research... all I really need to get around and use buses, JR, Tokyo subway is Suica. Convenient. I don't understand this comment though:

"The Suica cannot be used for continuous travel between areas. The use of transportation begun in one area must be ended in that area. When crossing from one area to another, first leave the ticket gate and then re-enter."
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html#category03

So what does that mean for Kamakura?

Depends on what your plans are while in Tokyo. If you can mainly use the subways on 3 days in a row to get around and you do at least 3 subway rides a day, then it might be worth it.

Exchange enough to survive for 2-3 days, so you're not stuck. Get more from ATMs when you need it.

Any kind of JR Pass doesn't make sense if you're just travelling within Tokyo.

That part means that you can't travel from Tokyo->Kyoto with a Suica for example. The Greater Tokyo Area is one area so going to Kamakura from Tokyo is fine.

Oh, and don't use buses in Tokyo unless you need to :p

Plane Tickets: Bought
Accomodations in Tokyo: Reserved

I intend to buy a lot of knick knacks to take home, primarily snacks, cup noodles, and perhaps some anime stuff. However, luggage space could be a problem because I also intend to take the Shinkansen.
Theoretically, if I packed for an 11-day trip and shopped enough to fill half a supermarket basket, would that be too much volume to take into a Shinkansen?

How do you even pack for an 11-day trip? How do y'all take care of your laundry?

Pack 11 days of clothes? I'm here that long and I did.

Riding on the Chuo right now, about to go to sumo.

I hate that the trains here are going to make me openly weep when I get home and have to deal with the fucking MBTA. Can I just take these trains home with me?

Plane Tickets: Bought
Accomodations in Tokyo: Reserved

I intend to buy a lot of knick knacks to take home, primarily snacks, cup noodles, and perhaps some anime stuff. However, luggage space could be a problem because I also intend to take the Shinkansen.
Theoretically, if I packed for an 11-day trip and shopped enough to fill half a supermarket basket, would that be too much volume to take into a Shinkansen?

How do you even pack for an 11-day trip? How do y'all take care of your laundry?

Mmm the normal Shinkansen is more appropriate for a single suitcase or so. Having a ton of bags isn't going to get you kicked off but might make your getting around a bit more cumbersome obviously. Depending on the trip length and if your willing you might want to get a reserved seat or stand for the duration. I think you will be more than fine though with a suitcase and bag for a 11 day trip.

danowat

Banned
Mmm the normal Shinkansen is more appropriate for a single suitcase or so. Having a ton of bags isn't going to get you kicked off but might make your getting around a bit more cumbersome obviously. Depending on the trip length and if your willing you might want to get a reserved seat or stand for the duration. I think you will be more than fine though with a suitcase and bag for a 11 day trip.

I'll have a ton of bags, theres not really much else I can do, we are there for 3 weeks, and I am travelling with my wife who doesn't really get the idea of packing light!.

I've always said I could quite easily travel while wearing everything I need, but she doesn't think this is a good idea!!!.

If you aren't worried about your bags being with you (my wife doesn't like the idea), you could use the luggage forwarding services and travel without your bags.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why are you taking lots of baggage onto a Shinkansen? The shuttles to/from the airport will handle baggage. If you're doing smaller trips for a few days eg to Kyoto you could see if the hotel in Tokyo will hold your bags and then just travel light for the in between days

danowat

Banned
Why are you taking lots of baggage onto a Shinkansen? The shuttles to/from the airport will handle baggage. If you're doing smaller trips for a few days eg to Kyoto you could see if the hotel in Tokyo will hold your bags and then just travel light for the in between days

Because we are not returning to any of the hotels we stay at, we're going place to place.

Gin

Hey guys.. planning to do a trip to Japan soon. (coming from Canada)
Ticket already bought and going to spend 3 weeks almost

I want to set up 3 legs for my trip as per below

1st leg - CITY: Tokyo - be active in city + do day trips outside city (approx 1 week)
2nd leg - CITY: ??? - be in city - and do day trips (approx 1 week)
3rd leg - CITY: Kyoto - relax here for last week and explore do day trips (last week)

I'm looking for a nice CITY/TOWN to set up shop in the 2nd week. - Any suggestions?

I like to book a hotel and leave my stuff there. Not a fan of moving my stuff day by day from one place to another.. I am interested in temples, bars, food, sights - some museums and art as well. - will probably be getting JR Rail pass as well (will see if this is worth it)

I'm looking for a nice CITY/TOWN to set up shop in the 2nd week. - Any suggestions?

I'd say either Sapporo or Fukuoka depending on what you want to see the most.

If you're heading up to Sapporo it'd be smarter to do a stopover in Aomori on the way to Kyoto and if you're heading to Fukuoka a stopover in Hiroshima would be useful on the way from Tokyo so you don't have to spend 8+ hours taking trains in one day.

Or you could do 4-5 days in Kanazawa and then add 2-3 days in Kyoto since there's lots of places you could do day trips to from Kyoto.

Gin

I'd say either Sapporo or Fukuoka depending on what you want to see the most.

If you're heading up to Sapporo it'd be smarter to do a stopover in Aomori on the way to Kyoto and if you're heading to Fukuoka a stopover in Hiroshima would be useful on the way from Tokyo so you don't have to spend 8+ hours taking trains in one day.

Or you could do 4-5 days in Kanazawa and then add 2-3 days in Kyoto since there's lots of places you could do day trips to from Kyoto.

Thank you for your reply!!

So your recommendations are Sapporo, Fukuoka or Kanazawa for the 2nd leg? I will def look into them to see what is available and what is around - really appreciate :)

That last point in kanazawa - are you saying it doesnt need to be a full week - and I can extend more time to Kyoto ?

Ive been told constantly to make time mostly for Kyoto as alot of people felt rushed there and always wanted to spend more time here..

(Since Kyoto is the lag leg - looking to relax here )

Top Bottom