• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Google's translate app is also really good with kanji, so if you're comfortable writing them down, you'll be able to tell what some things are too.

I'm solid with hiragana and katakana, but my kanji knowledge is pretty terrible.

KillGore

Thanks guys. This thread is great. Will definitely come back here when we are 100% sure that I'll be going to Japan, which will probably be by the end of the month.

One last thing. How many months before did you guys buy the tickets? Can I expect them to become cheaper soon or should I just buy them this month?

Resilient

Hey! Does anybody here know the best place to buy a cheap, 2nd hand 3ds? In talking as cheap as possible. I'm here and want to pick one up so I can play Persona Q in a few months. Doesn't matter where it is! Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto!

Thanks guys. This thread is great. Will definitely come back here when we are 100% sure that I'll be going to Japan, which will probably be by the end of the month.

One last thing. How many months before did you guys buy the tickets? Can I expect them to become cheaper soon or should I just buy them this month?

Total crapshoot on tickets. Set a price point and just keep an eye out.

hwalker84

Hey! Does anybody here know the best place to buy a cheap, 2nd hand 3ds? In talking as cheap as possible. I'm here and want to pick one up so I can play Persona Q in a few months. Doesn't matter where it is! Osaka, Tokyo, Kyoto!
Unfortunately I don't know hopefully someone else can answer you.

I've been kind of thinking about doing this. I live a pretty mundane life, but my mom and grandparents have always been telling me I should travel while I'm still young enough. I have some money left to me after my grandmother passed away last year, and honestly the only plans I've had for it have been pretty boring shit like refinancing my mortgage or using it as a down payment on a car.

Not sure how far in advanced I should start planning this. I know people don't suggest August, but I was kind of interested in Summer Sonic along with going to like a baseball game in addition to all the other touristy kind of stuff.

edit - In all honesty, I should have thought of this sooner. Had I planned this months ago I could have gone this month and gone to Punkspring instead, which has a pretty sweet lineup.

Try checking bookoff to see what their prices are, there's a lot of them all around. Not sure if it'll be the cheapest possible though.

supergiz

There's that second hand store next to GEO in Osaka den den town. If anyone knows what I'm talking about feel free to chime in.

You can head over to Owakudani and eat some of the black eggs and a few other attractions there.

I can't remember if it's Odawara Station or Hakone-Yumoto Station, but talk to the people in the information booth there, they speak English and will give you a map and etc about the attractions in Hakone. I'd highly recommend renting a room with your own bath though, really worth it.

You can head over to Owakudani and eat some of the black eggs and a few other attractions there.

I can't remember if it's Odawara Station or Hakone-Yumoto Station, but talk to the people in the information booth there, they speak English and will give you a map and etc about the attractions in Hakone. I'd highly recommend renting a room with your own bath though, really worth it.

We've got an apartment in Tokyo for the whole week, so we'll want to head back. Just looking for a nice day of hiking and walking around.

Trojan X

Banned
Any sort of gifts you can recommend? I did mention to her I'll be over again next year so she's expecting to see us again.

Focus on things that you know cannot be easily obtained in Japan, Earl Grey tea goes very nicely. Do not get American chocolates for they won't be anything special unless they are from Belgium or the UK. Cuddly toys will also do nicely depending on the person, but ultimately, you should focus on luxury tea, biscuits, and things like that which won't break the bank and clearly is more unique from the country you are from. Don't bother with things such as clothes, leave that to your third visit when you are closer to your new friends as you will understand them more. Also, be prepare to take them out at least once when you meet up again in Japan and, in return, they will do their utmost to treat you well such as letting you see deeper Japan from the residents eyes. That will help you massively. Heh, everyone wins... New friends, unique pressies, new experience, new forever. Enjoy!

Tsundere

Banned
I'm going to be in Kyoto next week for a few days. Visiting the Inari shrine, gion district, and also spending a night/day at a mountain onsen. Any suggestions of things to do while in Kyoto?

scarlet

I'm going to be in Kyoto next week for a few days. Visiting the Inari shrine, gion district, and also spending a night/day at a mountain onsen. Any suggestions of things to do while in Kyoto?

Temples hopping.

Day visit to Nara.

Kyoto cycling tour.

SKINNER!

Banned
Thought about visiting Nara, but is there really anything special there?

Only just the greatest park on this fucking planet.

yjFBO4C.jpg

p7h1Rbq.jpg

Na63r72.jpg

So special that I'm contemplating on travelling from Tokyo (and bypassing Kyoto) to visit it this year.

Focus on things that you know cannot be easily obtained in Japan, Earl Grey tea goes very nicely. Do not get American chocolates for they won't be anything special unless they are from Belgium or the UK. Cuddly toys will also do nicely depending on the person, but ultimately, you should focus on luxury tea, biscuits, and things like that which won't break the bank and clearly is more unique from the country you are from. Don't bother with things such as clothes, leave that to your third visit when you are closer to your new friends as you will understand them more. Also, be prepare to take them out at least once when you meet up again in Japan and, in return, they will do their utmost to treat you well such as letting you see deeper Japan from the residents eyes. That will help you massively. Heh, everyone wins... New friends, unique pressies, new experience, new forever. Enjoy!

Thanks, dude!

Thought about visiting Nara, but is there really anything special there?

The DEER! The deer are awesome! Oh, and there's some temples and stuff you can check out as well.

Flights this year feel a bit more expensive to anyone else?

What's normal? I've been looking at round trip flights from O'Hare in August and they've generally been $1800-2000.

I've been thinking about an itinerary and this is kind of a plan I've come up with:

-Aug 12th Depart O'Hare
-Aug 13th Arrive in Tokyo (afternoon)
Check in to hotel.
Eat/relax.
-Aug 14th Wander Tokyo/Eat
Go to Yomiuri Giants game (afternoon)
-Aug 15th Wander Tokyo
-Aug 16th SummerSonic music festival
-Aug 17th Check out of hotel.
And this is where it gets muddy, at this point I'd like to go to an onsen and try hiking up Mt. Fuji. But from what I've looked into so far, not all the inns around Fuji accept single guests. And then there's the issue that its suggested to hike halfway up Fuji, sleep at the lodge, then go to the summit the next morning. But then I wouldn't want to pay for two nights at the inn, and then spend one of those nights at the lodge instead, but then what do I do with all my extra luggage?
-Aug 18th Onsen/Relax
-Aug 19th Depart Tokyo

You going during Obon Week? Not sure if that's the best time.

These are all tentative. I haven't made any reservations (honestly, I only started planning this out over the weekend). Honestly I didn't not realize that was a holiday week in Japan.

edit - It sounds like Tokyo celebrates Obon in July? Maybe it won't necessarily be that big of an impact?

These are all tentative. I haven't made any reservations (honestly, I only started planning this out over the weekend). Honestly I didn't not realize that was a holiday week in Japan.

edit - It sounds like Tokyo celebrates Obon in July? Maybe it won't necessarily be that big of an impact?

Well... You said you were going to climb Mt. Fuji. I hear there's queues and stuff during Obon week:
http://www.japlanning.com/blog/climbing-mt-fuji

You know how to get tickets to the baseball game and the music festival you want to go to?

Well... You said you were going to climb Mt. Fuji. I hear there's queues and stuff during Obon week:
http://www.japlanning.com/blog/climbing-mt-fuji

You know how to get tickets to the baseball game and the music festival you want to go to?

Still investigating. Assuming Google translate isn't failing me the baseball tickets don't go on sale until June and the festival tickets not until May. So I got time to figure all that out.

SKINNER!

Banned
Started playing baseball since November and I'd be interested in seeing a baseball game during my visit at the end of June/Beginning of July. Anyone have any team games/stadiums worth going to? Not willing to spend crazy money on a ticket of course. Also, batting cages...Would love to try one over there.

Started playing baseball since November and I'd be interested in seeing a baseball game during my visit at the end of June/Beginning of July. Anyone have any team games/stadiums worth going to? Not willing to spend crazy money on a ticket of course. Also, batting cages...Would love to try one over there.

I've only been to Tokyo Dome for a Giants game. Kinda reminded me a AAA game at the old Metrodome. If you can get out and see the Hanshin Tigers at their stadium, I'd say go for it.

I've only been to Tokyo Dome for a Giants game. Kinda reminded me a AAA game at the old Metrodome. If you can get out and see the Hanshin Tigers at their stadium, I'd say go for it.

Yeah, I believe the game is against the Tigers. I am a little bummed that is in a dome. I've been to the Metrodome as well and I think its a pretty shitty stadium.

I applied to my school summer study abroad program in Mishima Japan. I just have to go through the interview this week and hopefully next week they'll tell me I'm accepted. The program lasts a month and we'll get to visit Kyoto for a few days. I'm really excited and hope I'm able to participate. It should be a different experience as students stay with host families.

Curious if anyone knows how reasonable it would be to visit Tokyo from Mishima.

Yeah, I believe the game is against the Tigers. I am a little bummed that is in a dome. I've been to the Metrodome as well and I think its a pretty shitty stadium.

Going to a Japanese baseball is a still great experience, don't want to diminish it for you. Very different from a major league game back home.

Going to a Japanese baseball is a still great experience, don't want to diminish it for you. Very different from a major league game back home.

I mean, I just enjoy baseball in general, so I am by no means discouraged. But domes can be a bummer, especially the Metrodome which already has the disadvantage of being a multi-sport stadium. But then again the only games I've seen in a dome (minus the Brewers who have always had the roof open when I've been there) have been the Twins and Rays, and in both cases the stadium was sparsely populated. I assume the Giants probably draw pretty well.

I mean, I just enjoy baseball in general, so I am by no means discouraged. But domes can be a bummer, especially the Metrodome which already has the disadvantage of being a multi-sport stadium. But then again the only games I've seen in a dome (minus the Brewers who have always had the roof open when I've been there) have been the Twins and Rays, and in both cases the stadium was sparsely populated. I assume the Giants probably draw pretty well.

I'm from Seattle and grew up with the Kingdome, I know the plight of being from a dome city. So glad we've got Safeco Field now.

If you're seeing the Giants take on the Tigers, it will probably be sold out and an absolute madhouse. Japanese baseball games remind me of the crowd at a soccer match. It's really cool.

Top Bottom