• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Ha! So apparently there's a guy in Japan, a USAF vet, who writes about baseball for the Japan Times and he offers a service to buy tickets for Japanese games and will have them delivered to your hotel. His fee maybe a bit much ($59), so it'll end up being about $100 total, but then again, I've paid more for worse seats here.

Ha! So apparently there's a guy in Japan, a USAF vet, who writes about baseball for the Japan Times and he offers a service to buy tickets for Japanese games and will have them delivered to your hotel. His fee maybe a bit much ($59), so it'll end up being about $100 total, but then again, I've paid more for worse seats here.

I thought about doing that in 2010, but ended up having a friend (who went to the game with my wife and I) in Tokyo get tickets for us at 7-11. If you don't have another avenue, it's totally worth it.

Also, protip: You can bring in TWO alcoholic beverages (any size) of your choice. There's a 7-11 right next to Tokyo Dome City. Have fun!

I thought about doing that in 2010, but ended up having a friend (who went to the game with my wife and I) in Tokyo get tickets for us at 7-11. If you don't have another avenue, it's totally worth it.

Also, protip: You can bring in TWO alcoholic beverages (any size) of your choice. There's a 7-11 right next to Tokyo Dome City. Have fun!

Really? I've brought alcohol into a sporting event here in the states, but usually in the form of a flask taped to my inner thigh.

kinn

Well I'll be on the plane tomorrow to Japan!

Just a little nervous of the flight considering about that other flight that went missing...

Anyway, if any fellow Gafers in japan want to link up that would be great!

hwalker84

Well I'll be on the plane tomorrow to Japan!

Just a little nervous of the flight considering about that other flight that went missing...

Anyway, if any fellow Gafers in japan want to link up that would be great!

Awesome man!! Take pictures and post them here.

Tsundere

Banned
How's the nightlife there? I've pretty much got the whole daytime stuff planned out for my trip, but nothing for night time outside of dining.. I'll be in Tokyo/Kyoto/Nara/Osaka. Over 2 weeks.

How's the nightlife there? I've pretty much got the whole daytime stuff planned out for my trip, but nothing for night time outside of dining.. I'll be in Tokyo/Kyoto/Nara/Osaka. Over 2 weeks.

What kind of nightlife are you looking for? I like the vibe in Shimokitazawa, Nakameguro and Koenji (Tokyo) way more than Shibuya, Roppongi and Shinjuku.

Tsundere

Banned
What kind of nightlife are you looking for? I like the vibe in Shimokitazawa, Nakameguro and Koenji (Tokyo) way more than Shibuya, Roppongi and Shinjuku.

Just living it up really, I'm travelling with my brother, we're 28 and 25 respectively. Don't mind hitting up a few bars, clubs, shows.

SKINNER!

Banned
I've only been to Tokyo Dome for a Giants game. Kinda reminded me a AAA game at the old Metrodome. If you can get out and see the Hanshin Tigers at their stadium, I'd say go for it.

Sweet. Cheers man. Again, not a huge fan of any team but would love to attend a game for the atmosphere and stuff. Will keep an eye out for a Hanshin Tigers game :)

EDIT: Damn, wasn't aware that they were an Osaka-based team. Hopefully see if they got an away game in Tokyo.

lots and lots of touts who want to show your tig ole bitties. freaking annoying

haha yea, my first night in Shinjuku I was hounded by people asking me if I wanted to visit their seedy clubs for particular services. It was the funny the first time but some were REALLY persistant (had 2 people follow me) and that kinda spoiled my night. I was on a crowded main road so they couldn't do shit anyway.

scarlet

Just reread, apparently now you can use ICOCA for trains in Tokyo too, I'm pretty sure i read it somewhere you only can use it for vending machines lol.

There's no need to buy SUICA/PASMO then.

Just reread, apparently now you can use ICOCA for trains in Tokyo too, I'm pretty sure i read it somewhere you only can use it for vending machines lol.

There's no need to buy SUICA/PASMO then.

Yeah you've been able to for a while now, but I don't believe you can add funds to the card at other kiosks though. I think that was the one issue I ran into.

scarlet

Yeah you've been able to for a while now, but I don't believe you can add funds to the card at other kiosks though. I think that was the one issue I ran into.

I read a post on Japan-guide, you can add funds anywhere

and speaking of train, apparently after April 2014, JRpass, ICOCA+Haruka prices will be higher.

What's normal? I've been looking at round trip flights from O'Hare in August and they've generally been $1800-2000.

I've been thinking about an itinerary and this is kind of a plan I've come up with:

-Aug 12th Depart O'Hare
-Aug 13th Arrive in Tokyo (afternoon)
Check in to hotel.
Eat/relax.
-Aug 14th Wander Tokyo/Eat
Go to Yomiuri Giants game (afternoon)
-Aug 15th Wander Tokyo
-Aug 16th SummerSonic music festival
-Aug 17th Check out of hotel.
And this is where it gets muddy, at this point I'd like to go to an onsen and try hiking up Mt. Fuji. But from what I've looked into so far, not all the inns around Fuji accept single guests. And then there's the issue that its suggested to hike halfway up Fuji, sleep at the lodge, then go to the summit the next morning. But then I wouldn't want to pay for two nights at the inn, and then spend one of those nights at the lodge instead, but then what do I do with all my extra luggage?
-Aug 18th Onsen/Relax
-Aug 19th Depart Tokyo

im used to paying around $1200 round trip from NYC to Tokyo, this year it's looking closer to $1800

I'm gonna be in Japan in April. I'm losing my shit.

I was interested to learn that the onsen we're visiting is one where you must whip your dicks out. I thought it'd be more likely that we'd be taken to a place more 'fat, stupid white guy' friendly.

Please don't look at my naked penis and anus, NeoGAF. Please. Just this once.

Oh, and we're gonna hit up Universal Studios Japan, primarily to see the MH4 stuff. Dat gone be kool.

If you wanna drop some dope knowledge as well as hints, tips and tricks, you can also hit me up over here on my Giant Bomb post: Japlanning - I'm going to Japan.

im used to paying around $1200 round trip from NYC to Tokyo, this year it's looking closer to $1800

Wow, that's a bummer. I'll probably look to order plane tickets/hotel in the next week or two, wanted to talk it over with a coworker of mine to see if he has any advice. He usually travels overseas every other year (not Japan, but like Thailand, Philippines, etc. Places where money stretches a little further). My big concern is the flight itself. I don't have a fear of flying, but the only flights I've been on have been four hours or so. Being a somewhat tall and lanky dude, the prospect of sitting in a plane for 12+ hours is pretty unnerving. Still weighing the benefits/downsides of doing nonstop from O'Hare or a layover in San Diego or LA.

Both the old and new JR Pass prices are listed here:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en003.html

About 1,000 yen. Not bad, I was expecting higher.

I'm gonna be in Japan in April. I'm losing my shit.

I was interested to learn that the onsen we're visiting is one where you must whip your dicks out. I thought it'd be more likely that we'd be taken to a place more 'fat, stupid white guy' friendly.

Please don't look at my naked penis and anus, NeoGAF. Please. Just this once.

Oh, and we're gonna hit up Universal Studios Japan, primarily to see the MH4 stuff. Dat gone be kool.

Most places usually let you bring in a small towel, you can always use that to cover up. In my experience, most people are there to do their own thing. I wouldn't worry too much.

scottnak

Not a problem :) For Kobe Steak, try out Gyu-An in Ginza. Soooo good, closed Sundays.

Here's from the first time I went, it just melted in your mouth...I miss kobe steak :(
nSW0rfz.jpg

I need to get better at this replying-quickly thing... but thanks for this rec. We just booked a reservation for this place :) We are excited \o/

Fritz

So I need you guys to figure out my last night. I am flying back from Tokyo with this useless stop over at Kansai. Arrive at 10.30 pm and leave at 9 am the next morning to Europe.

Should I just stay at the airport? Should I go to Osaka and just spent my night there? Or should I get a room somewhere and get some rest? Thing is staying up might get handy to get used to Euro time again (and sleep through the whole flight back).

I am clueless

matt360

Something is weird there, it shouldn't be that expensive. Are you going through a travel agent? What airline?

I just flew round-trip from Hiroshima-Tokyo-Washington DC-Florida for less than $1000 using ANA. The last 2 trips I've taken the cheapest option by far has actually been just to buy the tickets from ANA's home page. We went to a travel agent first just to see what they'd say and they were going to charge us $3000 per person!

BoatAck

Something is weird there, it shouldn't be that expensive. Are you going through a travel agent? What airline?

I just flew round-trip from Hiroshima-Tokyo-Washington DC-Florida for less than $1000 using ANA. The last 2 trips I've taken the cheapest option by far has actually been just to buy the tickets from ANA's home page. We went to a travel agent first just to see what they'd say and they were going to charge us $3000 per person!

I'm looking at nonstop from Chicago to Tokyo in August and $1800 seems to be the lowest price I can find using Google. I've also checked ANA's home page as well.

matt360

I'm looking at nonstop from Chicago to Tokyo in August and $1800 seems to be the lowest price I can find using Google. I've also checked ANA's home page as well.

Wow, that really sucks. It's hard to believe that it's cheaper going round-trip from Japan to the States than vice versa.

I guess I should have mentioned that my last trip was in February which is maybe the least busy season, but still. Last year I went from Hiroshima to Florida, then on the return stopped in NYC for 5 days before flying back to Japan, during Xmas/New Years, and it was still cheaper than the prices you guys are listing.

I guess you could always pray for another SARS outbreak or something. My first trip to Japan was during all that nonsense, and I scored round-trip tix for under $500.

Edit: Wait, what months are you searching for? I just plugged one in from mid-June to early-July from O'hare to Narita and back and I'm getting prices in the $1100 range. This is from ANA's homepage.

BoatAck

Wow, that really sucks. It's hard to believe that it's cheaper going round-trip from Japan to the States than vice versa.

I guess I should have mentioned that my last trip was in February which is maybe the least busy season, but still. Last year I went from Hiroshima to Florida, then on the return stopped in NYC for 5 days before flying back to Japan, during Xmas/New Years, and it was still cheaper than the prices you guys are listing.

I guess you could always pray for another SARS outbreak or something. My first trip to Japan was during all that nonsense, and I scored round-trip tix for under $500.

Edit: Wait, what months are you searching for? I just plugged one in from mid-June to early-July from O'hare to Narita and back and I'm getting prices in the $1100 range. This is from ANA's homepage.

I was looking at mid to late August. Fall seems cheaper, so I may push the trip back a few months. $1100 round-trip for those dates you plugged in?

jaxword

I was looking at mid to late August. Fall seems cheaper, so I may push the trip back a few months. $1100 round-trip for those dates you plugged in?

Do not go in August unless you are prepared for intense, desert-like heat, except moist.

I am not exaggerating.

scarlet

Fall is pretty, I kinda wanna go there in fall. But it's my first time, so it has to be spring.

But seriously, summer is the worst. I went to Hong Kong in summer and I have to change my clothes like 3 times a day. And people said Japan is worse than HK.

supergiz

As for Osaka:

Coolabah - great pub with cool mix of people

Shanti - near coolabah. Smallish place but great lounge feel and occasional bbqs outside

Garden- great underground club I rarely saw any foreigners there.

There is also some videogame bar in that area that has a really cool retro feel to it.

Also in namba there is a club called giraffe that is fun.

Near nipponbashi is this building with a waterfall at the entrance that has many strange bars inside. One I used to go to all the time has a big screen protector inside playing indie Japanese movies and they serve all kinds of exotic tea. There is also a creepy s&m bar in that building.

As for Tokyo all I remember is club atom, club Harlem (need a girl to get in), and walstreet bar in roppongi which is actually not bad. Although my mind could be clouded by fond memories of opening night with all you can drink for free and the Saudi Arabian princess I met. Dang I really want to go back :(

matt360

Do not go in August unless you are prepared for intense, desert-like heat, except moist.

I am not exaggerating.

I second this. Do not come in August. Japan is miserable throughout most of July, all of August, and a good bit of September. Not to mention Obon is in August and travel will be insane and prices will be inflated.

October-November is off-season and would probably be cheap. May-June (after Golden Week) might also be a good time to come. April is also very nice during the cherry blossom season, but in recent years the pollution coming over from China has gotten pretty bad to the point where most of my hanami parties have been under yellow skies.

I second this. Do not come in August. Japan is miserable throughout most of July, all of August, and a good bit of September. Not to mention Obon is in August and travel will be insane and prices will be inflated.

October-November is off-season and would probably be cheap. May-June (after Golden Week) might also be a good time to come. April is also very nice during the cherry blossom season, but in recent years the pollution coming over from China has gotten pretty bad to the point where most of my hanami parties have been under yellow skies.

Just curious, what is your point of reference for "miserable?" Like BoatAck, my plans are Chicago to Tokyo in mid-August. And from what I can gather the two cities aren't all that dissimilar in regards to average temps and humidity levels in August.

Of course, my plans also include an attempt to hike up Mt. Fuji, which is something that can't necessarily be done outside of the summer months.

matt360

Just curious, what is your point of reference for "miserable?" Like BoatAck, my plans are Chicago to Tokyo in mid-August. And from what I can gather the two cities aren't all that dissimilar in regards to average temps and humidity levels in August.

Of course, my plans also include an attempt to hike up Mt. Fuji, which is something that can't necessarily be done outside of the summer months.

I was born and raised in Florida and I can barely stand the humidity of Japan in August, if that helps.

It's not that the temps or humidity levels are much different, it's that Japan might as well be a third world country when it comes to comfort and keeping cool in the summer. Many indoor places will be just as hot and muggy as outdoors. My apartment has no insulation and one wall-mounted unit for a 5 room apartment.

You're right though that if you want to climb Fuji then August is your best bet. And it'll be pretty chilly up there. Maybe I'll climb it with you to escape the heat.

But for sightseeing, walking around Tokyo, carrying a heavy backpack around, August is easily the worst month for that. You'll completely sweat through all of your clothes doing a full day of sightseeing.

scarlet

Never booked a room when you're tired and angry.

I just booked for the wrong month and cancelled it a minute later and have to pay the cancelation fee ;_________;

tokkun

Never booked a room when you're tired and angry.

I just booked for the wrong month and cancelled it a minute later and have to pay the cancelation fee ;_________;

That sucks. One of the reasons I like to stay at business hotels is that they are usually pretty generous about cancellations. I think Toyoko lets you cancel as little as one day in advance without penalty.

I was born and raised in Florida and I can barely stand the humidity of Japan in August, if that helps.

It's not that the temps or humidity levels are much different, it's that Japan might as well be a third world country when it comes to comfort and keeping cool in the summer. Many indoor places will be just as hot and muggy as outdoors. My apartment has no insulation and one wall-mounted unit for a 5 room apartment.

You're right though that if you want to climb Fuji then August is your best bet. And it'll be pretty chilly up there. Maybe I'll climb it with you to escape the heat.

But for sightseeing, walking around Tokyo, carrying a heavy backpack around, August is easily the worst month for that. You'll completely sweat through all of your clothes doing a full day of sightseeing.

Well, there's no doubt about it, air conditioning is pretty awesome. When I moved out of my parent's house into my own townhouse I went two years with a barely functional AC and then two years with it non-functional. Sleeping when its hot and muggy can be pretty unbearable. But new air conditioners are amazing. My electric bill last year was nearly half of what it was when I first moved in despite the fact that I keep my house a good 10 degrees cooler than before.

scarlet

And GAC don't have pocket wi-fi anymore for my trip T.T lol

and why the fuck their sim card is way more expensive, like almost twice than the pocket wi-fi?

GAC's around 7700 for 15 days and their sim card is 15000!!

How's b-mobile connection?

Wow that's pretty pricey. I paid for the 1GB data and it gives you 14 days to use it. I mainly used it for maps, but I never had any problems with it. I was using it in Tokyo, Hakone, Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. Oh, and if you happen to lose your phone, they'll contact b-mobile who will in turn email you...I know from experience.

The apartments we're renting in Osaka and Tokyo both come with free Mobile WiFi devices, never used before but it will sure be nice with our iPhones.

scarlet

Wow that's pretty pricey. I paid for the 1GB data and it gives you 14 days to use it. I mainly used it for maps, but I never had any problems with it. I was using it in Tokyo, Hakone, Osaka, Kyoto and Nara. Oh, and if you happen to lose your phone, they'll contact b-mobile who will in turn email you...I know from experience.

I think b-mobile will be my last options.

Still prefer using pocket wi-fi, tethering drains battery too much. And 1 gb is not that much for uploading pictures to dropbox.

Top Bottom