• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Count me
out

Has anyone been to Onomichi? Need a little Ibaraki vacation. Thinking there or Niigata or something. Maybe south of hujisan.

Desmond

Check out the JR Pass. Especially if you are going both ways. Also gets you rides on the JR lines obviously.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

I don't know about booking the actual seat online. I normally booked mine the day of at the station. You can book at any JR Ticket office.
One way trip.
I thought Tourists can only get that pass?

I'll be a resident.

I leave in just over a week so 間に合わないかも

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
One way trip.

I'll be a resident.

Welp there goes that idea. If I remember right they use your passport to verify the status of your stay when you book the train. I actually got mine and had it mailed to Tokyo so I could use it haha. ごめん。楽しむ

Kaworu

I've been looking for a Japan or Tokyo-gaf lately and I couldn't find one. If everything goes right I'm moving back there in some weeks and would be nice to have a place to share with the fellow gaffers already there.

midramble

So what would we call it?
Gaijin GAF OT: いらしゃいませ!
Ryokan GAF OT: 温泉はどこ?
Japan GAF OT: Should I take a cab from Narita airport?

JulianImp

In case we hold the GAF meet-up before the TGS begins, I have some public day invitations I could hand out to anyone who's interested in going there. :D

It depends on how many days, if you intend to visit many resorts or just focus on one.

Can't wait for the this winter season and snowboarding all weekends.

4 days, in December. All the 3 star places seem pretty similar price/quality wise. Though ski in/out would be ideal.

So is the officially the Japan-GAF OT or is there actually going to be an OT some day?

There was an attempt a long time ago, but people just kept making new threads anyway, so that fizzled out quickly.

I typed up the stuff in the OP with the desire to start a more recent one, but this topic seems to be catching on as an as a general OT, it just seemed easier to not make another for now.

midramble

There was an attempt a long time ago, but people just kept making new threads anyway, so that fizzled out quickly.

I typed up the stuff in the OP with the desire to start a more recent one, but since everyone already posts in here, it just seemed easier to not make another topic for now.

Maybe the next meetup thread would become the OT then? Just plan the title accordingly?

Zoe

One way trip.

I'll be a resident.

You actually should have enough time, especially if you're near a big travel agency.

Desmond

midramble

These are great!

I kinda half-hope that I'm stopped by that show in Narita lol

I WAS. I've still yet to find my interview..... I had a hiking stick and everything :(. I'm pretty sure I checked every single episode to try and find myself.... no luck

Ayumi

These are great!

I kinda half-hope that I'm stopped by that show in Narita lol

I WAS. I've still yet to find my interview..... I had a hiking stick and everything :(. I'm pretty sure I checked every single episode to try and find myself.... no luck

They often mock the foreigners though! But I think that's what makes it funny. Especially all those "uguu kawaii" girls who come to Japan to... become... an Akiba idol... lol.

Desmond

They often mock the foreigners though! But I think that's what makes it funny. Especially all those "uguu kawaii" girls who come to Japan to... become... an Akiba idol... lol.
Mocking is basically all of Japanese TV though! Lol

I'm quite fond of the hosts (Bananaman).

Anung

Un Rama
Anyone tell me the locations of a few cat cafés. I'm in Ueno right now and don't mind move around. Need my cat fix.

midramble

Because of the recent posts, I looked up this Why did you come to Japan show on youtube... how interesting.

Did you happen to see a white dude with a open button up white shirt with a walking stick looking for work?

Anyone tell me the locations of a few cat cafés. I'm in Ueno right now and don't mind move around. Need my cat fix.

Never go because the cats always seem tired of people...

I prefer endless CC lemon at mangakissa

Anung

Un Rama
I'm going to Ueno zoo today so i'll nip into the Naku Maru cafe before :D I looked on their website but I can't read Japanese so have no idea what it says.

midramble

I'm going to Ueno zoo today so i'll nip into the Naku Maru cafe before :D I looked on their website but I can't read Japanese so have no idea what it says.

monday-friday 11:00am-10:00pm
Saturday 10:00am-10:00pm
Sunday 10:00am-8:00pm

kanji next to that is too small for me to read, but I assume it's last order an hour beforehand.

Edit: Final visit an hour before close.

Looks like it costs 1200 JPY for an hour on weekdays. There's a 'test plan' that costs 700 JPY for 30 mins if you're in a hurry too.

midramble

Thanks a lot!

np... but you might want to double check on sunday... the last two kanji of that are for national holiday... though the first is also used in the beginning of にちようび for sunday... So if sunday or holidays matter to you, maybe consult someone better at their kanji hahaha

paolo11

Hello, my friends.

My wife and I decided to do our trip in Tokyo, Japan for a week. Since we are noobs, I need you advice. I think I asked these questions before but I need to ask this. Forgive me for doing so.

a) Shibuya is the Japanese shopping place, right? Akihabara is for anime and video game lovers like me? Do they sell Famicom?

b) I think I asked this before but I love Shrimp Tempura, sushi, Katsu don and Katsu curry and etc. Are they any places that serve great food like those with great servings with cheap price? What food trip places would you recommend for a super food lover like me who loves to eat a lot? Do Yatai provide great food servings and price?

c) Is it worth going to Disneyland if I went to Disneyland in Anaheim, CA?

d) Random question but how is life in Japan if you plan to work there versus USA or UK?

e) Any recommended hostels or hotels for us couples?

Shibuya is the Japanese shopping place, right? Akihabara is for anime and video game lovers like me? Do they sell Famicom?

Shibuya is one of the places to get fashion and stuff. There's other places too though.

You can get lots of Famicom stuff in Akihabara, yeah. There's also Nakano Broadway in Nakano you should check out.

paolo11

Shibuya is one of the places to get fashion and stuff. There's other places too though.

You can get lots of Famicom stuff in Akihabara, yeah. There's also Nakano Broadway in Nakano you should check out.

Nice. I can get Anime mech figurines too? :)

Also, I want to know more about food..REcommend me great food with cheap prices with great servings. I want a food trip in Japan... YEAH!!!

Also, I want to know more about food..REcommend me great food with cheap prices with great servings. I want a food trip in Japan... YEAH!!!

Yes. And other anime figures, any kind really.

There's food places everywhere from fancy restaurants to hole-in-the-wall places. Just check out one at wherever you're at when you're hungry.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Who is gonna be partying in Tokyo over NEw year? Will it be you , Ponpo?

I have no idea. Probably a 'fashion party' with friends that I don't want to be at but can instagram pics from to make myself seem more popular ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ

paolo11

I just got back from Japan on Tuesday, I never had a problem with the portions, generally. Then again, also spent much of the trip wandering around in some oppressive humidity, so I never had much of an appetite.

Where do you eat out? Any recommendations?

midramble

Matsuya is my go to cheap food. I love the chiizu hanbaagaa steak. Also any udon is normally pretty cheap. Good standard takoyaki at gindako. I have a friend who runs a okonomiyaki place in asakusa. Also, most food in golden gai in shinjuku next to kabukicho is pretty cheap. Great district to make crazy nightlife stories haha. Robot Restaurant is there as well. The props they had outside last time..... that was odd

No idea, I'd wander around and there'd be a place and I go into it.

I will say don't go to MaiDreamin (or probably most other maid cafes) unless you want to just feel shame.

Whaaaa? The super awkwardness is the fun. My girlfiend had a blast last time we were there hahaha. It's definitely worth going to see foreigner's reactions and see the worshiping fan boys paise their idol when she does her karaoke show hahaha

Top Bottom