• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

JulianImp

I've finally made my Sakura House reservation, and have also paid for my JR Pass and pocket Wi-Fi rental. Finally, all preparations are ready!

Talking about Akihabara and games, I'd really like to get a copy or two (link cable games!) of Pokémon Trading Card Game 2, but is it the kind of game I could expect to spot lying around somewhere? Where should I look for it (as in assorted game piles, or is it enough of a collector's item that stores keep them separate from the bulk games)?

Also, I'm looking to pick up some game and anime artbooks (gotta get that Okami one, and maybe Bayonetta's as well). Would Akiba be a good place to look for them, or what kind of places would you guys recommend?

JulianImp

Whaaaa? The super awkwardness is the fun. My girlfiend had a blast last time we were there hahaha. It's definitely worth going to see foreigner's reactions and see the worshiping fan boys paise their idol when she does her karaoke show hahaha

Wait... you're telling me that Lucky Star episode where Konata's shown working on a cosplay café as Haruhi wasn't that much of an exaggeration of what those kind of places are actually like?

怖い...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Also, I'm looking to pick up some game and anime artbooks (gotta get that Okami one, and maybe Bayonetta's as well). Would Akiba be a good place to look for them, or what kind of places would you guys recommend?

Old or new? Mandarake has a lot of artbooks.

Go to CoCoIchibanya. It's dericious.

I was so excited when heard that a CoCo Ichi was opening up in LA. There's even more than one now! But... not quite the same taste as I remember. Bah.

Did you know the CoCo Ichi that does the most business in Japan is in Okinawa, because all of the American military people love it?

AllenShrz

4 days, in December. All the 3 star places seem pretty similar price/quality wise. Though ski in/out would be ideal.

Dont worry about too much with price or No of Stars, worry about the location because if you intend to visit several resorts, traveling will be an issue, specially if you are caring your equipment .

Dont forget to go to Happo One, is quite big and plenty of track options, I remember think it has powder too.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Wait... you're telling me that Lucky Star episode where Konata's shown working on a cosplay café as Haruhi wasn't that much of an exaggeration of what those kind of places are actually like?

怖い...

Never watched Lucky Star because of my sister, but I can tell you that I went in with exaggerated expectations and was thoroughly surprised by it exceeding them. I even have a Polaroid of my friend and I with our maid from our first experience hahaha. (It's the only picture you're allowed to have because of creepy people haha)

When I went with the GF one of the maids did her J-pop karaoke dance routine and her 2 biggest followers grabbed tambourines got on their knees and waved their hands at her praising her the whole time hahaha. It's truly an experience worth having. Just go with more people so it feels less creepy and enjoy watching your friends feel shy haha.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Anywho:

Killdozer and company are going to be in Tokyo on August 25th through September 7th. We will be in Kyoto on September 5th and 6th. Party consists of two men aged 30, a couple around age 25, a single woman aged 25ish, and a local female guide aged 30ish.

Daytime activities are focused on sights, sounds, and food. I will also be focused booze and will attempt to drink any new beer, cocktail, sake, or whiskey I haven't seen before.

Nighttime will be dining, clubbing, and boozing it up (assuming you separate them).

Here's me in my final non-threating, non-violent, super-pleasant, super-mailable, loves to be out, keep the parting going until you tell me to go to bed form:
xcoOYF8.png

PM and we can exchange numbers for Line, What's App, The Facebook, MySpace, glitter, sparkles, whistles, or whatever you kids use these days.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I just got back from Japan on Tuesday, I never had a problem with the portions, generally. Then again, also spent much of the trip wandering around in some oppressive humidity, so I never had much of an appetite.

That's the trick! You're sweating it out so keep going and break through the gluttony wall! Worked super well when I was in Seattle a few weeks ago when it was about 90 with 100% humidity and when I was in Mexico last week when it was 88 and 80% humidity. Came back weighing less than when I left but was always full and always eating too much.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I'm flying out to Japan next week. I'm staying for 2 weeks focusing on Tokyo and a day or two in Kyoto.

I have an old Canon Power Shot point and shoot from 2008 and I'm looking for a compact but leaning toward enthusiast type camera. My researching has brought me to this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00889ST2G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My alternative is my Samsung GS3 and in most cases it takes a better picture than my old Canon.

Suggestions? Should I pick one up for my trip?

Just bought a new camera! Will start taking pictures of stuff around Japan and put on flickr or something.

My Sony DSC RX100 V1 arrived today: Wow. Such an awesome camera. Like, just minor tweaking and it was taking pics almost as good as the camera-o-philes with their Canon DSLRs and definitely better than any camera on whatever forms of 'auto' they might present.

怖い...

The one in Lucky Star is actually less strange than MaiDreamin.

JulianImp

I expected those kinds of places to be quirky, but what you guys are saying borders on downright creepyness...

Despite being pretty used to anime dialogues and whatnot, I'd probably wince if a waitress ever called me ご主人様, or if they ever went out of their way to act or talk in the way anime characters usually do.

Anung

Un Rama
I went to Ueno zoo yesterday. I was excited about seeing Red Panda's, Otters, etc but it was kind a bummer. Most of the animals had poor living room and some looked kind of stressed.

Alrighty! Think I got m photos all nice and uploaded. You can find a link below. Had a little issue where my phone was set to the right timezone, but the camera wasn't. So all the photos from my camera were hours off and the album was all out of order. Think I got that all corrected now. Link to the album below.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5DFD8564575FB7FB!12306&authkey=!AACw_FFGHMGKmN4&ithint=folder%2cJPG

Impressions of the trip:

Ain't no lie, Japan can be humid as hell in August. I was regularly returning to my hotel to shower and change into fresh clothes. This was more of an issue with the days I didn't really have anything planned, because I was just wandering around Tokyo, sweating up a storm, and wearing myself out. I realized 100¥ coins were a lifeline as I was constantly hitting up vending machines for water and Pocari Sweat (which is some pretty good stuff). Also, never had to go to the bathroom since anything I drank I sweated out.

Overall, I felt like I saw two different Japans. The first one was the one you see from the outside, everyone is super polite, there are mascots, cute things, all that good stuff. And that's great. Employees are all incredibly friendly and try to be helpful despite the language barrier, bump into someone on a train and they apologize sincerely, etc. Then there's the other Japan. The Japan that is super polite, there are mascots, cute things, but its all covered in a layer of grime. Shinjuku and Akihabara are "interesting" places to say the least. We've had the discussions of maid cafes, but then there's also the arcades and pachinko parlors, where its cool that these things exist, but the less time I spend there, the better. There's the noise, and the smoke, and everyone looks like zombies, and there's an escalator that goes up, but not one that goes down, and oh god I'm stuck in this arcade and I don't know how to get out. Its a very much alien experience to me. It also feels like a lot of those stores in Akihabara, if you saw the same store in America, you'd think all the merchandise fell off the back of a truck. Just a weird "rawness" to it all.

Other specifics:

Tokyo Skytree: Probably not worth it. It was like 2000¥ or something to go up, but there was a big line, and it was kind of foggy that day. Take some pictures of it from the outside then go to the Tokyo Metropolitan building instead since its free (but it was closed when I tried to visit, so I didn't actually go up it).

Yomiuri Giants game: Fantastic experience. I really enjoy baseball, and don't necessarily need a rooting interest to keep my entertained. But the energy and excitement was more than anything I've experienced in the States. Especially from the visitor's section. I suppose its probably easier to get around Japan, so visiting fans can travel with their team better than they can in the US, so having an entire section dedicated to the visiting team is an interesting sight.

Summer Sonic 2014: Gonna rant here for a moment. The Summer Sonic website suggests taking the train to the Makuhari station since its the closest station to the event. I got on that train, and it was nearly empty. When I got off, I found that I had a 40 minute walk to the event. As I got closer, I found there was another station that was like a 5 minute walk from the event that had a flood of people pouring out of it. End rant. But overall, Summer Sonic was fantastic. I wandered around a lot of the smaller stages, none of which drew a bigger crowd that Babymetal. They're a weird thing, but people were really into it and that's kind of awesome. I did have trouble finding out how to get to the main stage (turns out you have to leave the convention center out the front gate, then take a shuttle/walk around back to the Chiba Marine Stadium), because of this I missed like the first half of Robert Plant's set, but it was still awesome and he ended with Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love," so that made me happy. Arctic Monkeys, the headliner for day one, awesome. Just straight up awesome. Played tons of songs, no bullshit in between. Great performance, great showmanship, great crowd. Fantastic all around.

Mt. Fuji: Man, what a draining two days this was. Started off with me checking out of my hotel, dropping my stuff off at a ryokan in Asakusa, then just barely making the 9:30am train from Shinjuku to Otsuki. Little smoother after that, hop on the Fujikyu line, then a bus to the fifth station. From there, it was just exhaustion from bottom to top, then back to the bottom again. You can tell from the pictures that there were lines at certain points, but this never bothered me as it gave me a much needed breather. I don't consider myself out of shape by any means, but I've never been much for endurance so I did make fairly frequent stops to rest.

A lot of my troubles largely revolved around the complete lack of sleep I got on the mountain. I got to the 8.5 station where I had a reservation around 7:00, had lunch, shared a beer with a couple Germans, then turned in around 8:00. The sleep arrangements are not designed for a 6'4" lanky American who likes to sprawl out on his bed. You're packed in shoulder to shoulder with other people, and despite being freezing cold outside, it was uncomfortably warm while trying to sleep. I basically laid down for a few hours then I had to get out, and just hung out in the lobby area with a bunch of other people until about 2am, when most everyone set off for the summit.

The summit was about another two hours that was made incredibly difficult because of the lack of sleep and oxygen. When I finally got to the summit some buildings opened up, hot tea and ramen was served and I just kind of zoned out for a while before the altitude sickness started to pass. Got a few pictures at the summit, but overall I was just too weak and tired to move around too much.

The descent was something I also completely underestimated. There are basically no stations to stop at on the way down, and I left the summit with about a half liter of water left (had two liters when I started). The descent was brutal. Downhill, walking on either very loose dirt or lava rocks. Constantly losing your footing, slipping, tripping. All the while you're above the cloud level and the sun is just beating down on you. While I was at the summit I was wearing a t-shirt, turtle neck, hoodie, and jacket, and still shivering. Within 20 minutes of the descent I had stripped down to just the t-shirt. I had ran out of water halfway down the 4+ hour descent and by the time I got back to the fifth station I was nearly dehydrated, my calves were burning, and every step I had a sharp pain in my right ankle. Its been like 4-5 days since and my legs are still sore. But hey, I made it.

Some other places I went to, Ueno Zoo was nice. Meiji shrine was interesting. I spent the last night in Asakusa, which I could have stayed there longer since it seemed like an interesting place to explore. I wandered around Senso-Ji a little bit, which I could have done more, but at that point I could barely walk on my bum ankle so I didn't get around as much as I'd like.

Overall really enjoyed it, would love to go back soon. Hopefully I can build up enough reward points on my credit card to make another trip next year. Probably focus less on touristy stuff and just kind of use it as an opportunity to relax and get away (definitely not during the summer).

edit - That text document in the album is just a recap of my experience with the crazy old guy I ran into in Ueno Park that I had mentioned a while back. I don't have a blog or anything, and I wanted to share it with people back home but it was too complex for Twitter, so I just made a document on Onedrive and stuck it there.

Darksol

^ I like some of the shots you took. I'll be in some of the same places in November. You've also solidified my decision not to visit Ueno Zoo :p

Alrighty! Think I got m photos all nice and uploaded. You can find a link below. Had a little issue where my phone was set to the right timezone, but the camera wasn't. So all the photos from my camera were hours off and the album was all out of order. Think I got that all corrected now. Link to the album below.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5DFD8564575FB7FB!12306&authkey=!AACw_FFGHMGKmN4&ithint=folder%2cJPG

Haha. That Pikachu at the baseball game. Nice pics!

decaf

Speaking of.

Evilore will be in Japan for 2 weeks in September.

No dates in Tokyo set.

Who is up for a GAF meeting with the owner and the system engineer behind the servers?

Let me know and i will create a thread when i know the full details.

Will he be about for TGS then? I'm in town and down 14th - 22nd.

^ I like some of the shots you took. I'll be in some of the same places in November. You've also solidified my decision not to visit Ueno Zoo :p

The Zoo shots are not really fair. For one, I forgot the battery on my camera so I was taking shitty phone pictures, and that was the first day I was there so I was pretty tired/jet lagged so I didn't take pictures of everything I saw. I imagine when its not stifling hot its a lot better place to visit.

Also, there was a petting area that had alpacas. Unfortunately I showed up an hour late and all they had were shitty goats.

red13th

Just arrived, man my trip was amazing except for the whole typhoon thing when I was in Nara and Kyoto. Comiket was amazing. Will definitely be back but probably not in summer, so sweaty and had to put on sunscreen all the time. I already miss Shibuya. :(

Resilient

I've finally made my Sakura House reservation, and have also paid for my JR Pass and pocket Wi-Fi rental. Finally, all preparations are ready!

Talking about Akihabara and games, I'd really like to get a copy or two (link cable games!) of Pokémon Trading Card Game 2, but is it the kind of game I could expect to spot lying around somewhere? Where should I look for it (as in assorted game piles, or is it enough of a collector's item that stores keep them separate from the bulk games)?

You could find it anywhere, it will be random and spontaneous when you do. But you could always just ask at Super Potato if you can muster up the courage.

There's a small game store in Nishi Kawaguchi that would probably have it. Hehe. Just bear in mind that it's a tiny store quite far from the usual Tokyo city.

rokero

hey japangaf I'm taking a basic japanese course and have a short oral report tomorrow I tried using google translate but I don't trust that so I wanted to run it by you guys first I want to say

Good Morning my name is Santiago. I'm a japanese student at Sagrado University. I want to thank Aiko Sensei for teaching us. thank you very much goodbye.

I'm sure there's a lot of particles missing but so far I have it like this.

Ohayõ gozaimasu, watashi wa santiago desu, nihongo gakusei imu, watashitachi o oshieru tame Aiko sensei ni kansha shitai to omoimasu, domo arigato gozaimasu sayonara

WasMachinator

Neo Member
Just arrived, man my trip was amazing except for the whole typhoon thing when I was in Nara and Kyoto. Comiket was amazing. Will definitely be back but probably not in summer, so sweaty and had to put on sunscreen all the time. I already miss Shibuya. :(

That typhone really was no fun in Kyoto yeah.
But because of it Fushimi Inari Shrine was nearly deserted during the day, which was quite nice.

And I want to go back! I am craving for good ramen, or sushi or those onigiri with salmon I got every day at the 7/11..

That typhone really was no fun in Kyoto yeah.
But because of it Fushimi Inari Shrine was nearly deserted during the day, which was quite nice.

And I want to go back! I am craving for good ramen, or sushi or those onigiri with salmon I got every day at the 7/11..

I know what you're talking about. I hit up the late night 7-11 meal a couple of times and the sujiko onigiri was typically a part of that meal. Took a few with me up to Fuji as well.

Ayumi

hey japangaf I'm taking a basic japanese course and have a short oral report tomorrow I tried using google translate but I don't trust that so I wanted to run it by you guys first I want to say

Good Morning my name is Santiago. I'm a japanese student at Sagrado University. I want to thank Aiko Sensei for teaching us. thank you very much goodbye.

Ohayõ gozaimasu, watashi wa santiago desu, nihongo gakusei imu, watashitachi o oshieru tame Aiko sensei ni kansha shitai to omoimasu, domo arigato gozaimasu sayonara
Hi there!

Using Google Translate for full sentences will often give very inaccurate results.
(I will attach some links to explanation/definitions instead of going into it myself since our posts are kind of OT for this thread.)

If it's the first time you meet her, you should start with "Hajimemashite". After the first time, you can say "konnichiha" (good afternoon/hello), "konbanha" (good evening) or ohayou gozaimasu (good morning) depending on what time of the day you meet your teacher/the class begins.

"Hajimemashite. Watashi wa Santiago desu. Sagurado daigaku de nihongo o benkyō shimasu. Nihongo o oshiete kurete arigatougozaimasu. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!"

「初めまして。私はサンチアゴです。サグラダ大学で日本語を勉強します。日本語を教えてくれてありがとうございます。よろしくお願いします!」

"Yoroshiku onegaishimasu" is a hard to translate into English. But basically you use it when you meet someone and you want to tell them "nice to meet you/best regards". You usually use it in the end of your introduction/greeting someone. Sometimes it also means "let’s work hard together" and it used in e-mails between coworkers. It has different meaning based on the situation. Sometimes it just means "Best regards". If you hear someone say it, you should repeat it while bowing to them.

WasMachinator

Neo Member
The convenience stores are pretty awesome arent they?

That is still an understatement. I want to lift one up, put it on a cargo ship and drop it down at the corner of my street again. including the japanese employees.

You know what I miss the most of Japan? The convenience, every 50m a vending machine, hungry here a Family Mart is round the corner. I need to get to X location, ah a metro, train runs close to it. It is just so convenient.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
That is still an understatement. I want to lift one up, put it on a cargo ship and drop it down at the corner of my street again. including the japanese employees.

You know what I miss the most of Japan? The convenience, every 50m a vending machine, hungry here a Family Mart is round the corner. I need to get to X location, ah a metro, train runs close to it. It is just so convenient.

Not to mention the food doesnt look like it was sitting around for a week either lol.

matt360

Hi there!

Using Google Translate for full sentences will often give very inaccurate results.
(I will attach some links to explanation/definitions instead of going into it myself since our posts are kind of OT for this thread.)

If it's the first time you meet her, you should start with "Hajimemashite". After the first time, you can say "konnichiha" (good afternoon/hello), "konbanha" (good evening) or ohayou gozaimasu (good morning) depending on what time of the day you meet your teacher/the class begins.

"Hajimemashite. Watashi wa Santiago desu. Sagurado daigaku de nihongo o benkyō shimasu. Nihongo o oshiete kurete arigatougozaimasu. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!"

「初めまして。私はサンチアゴです。サグラダ大学で日本語を勉強します。日本語を教えてくれてありがとうございます。よろしくお願いします!」

"Yoroshiku onegaishimasu" is a hard to translate into English. But basically you use it when you meet someone and you want to tell them "nice to meet you/best regards". You usually use it in the end of your introduction/greeting someone. Sometimes it also means "let’s work hard together" and it used in e-mails between coworkers. It has different meaning based on the situation. Sometimes it just means "Best regards". If you hear someone say it, you should repeat it while bowing to them.

You should say 日本語を勉強しています (Nihongo wo benkyou shite imasu) instead of 勉強します (benkyou shimasu) if you have already begun your Japanese studies. You also don't need the 初めまして (hajimemashite) if you're doing this speech in front of classmates you already know.

Also, you shouldn't end a speech with さよなら unless you are retiring or you are Bilbo Baggins at his birthday party and are planning on disappearing right after you finish your speech. よろしくおねがいします is much more natural.

Ayumi

You should say 日本語を勉強しています (Nihongo wo benkyou shite imasu) instead of 勉強します (benkyou shimasu) if you have already begun your Japanese studies. You also don't need the 初めまして (hajimemashite) if you're doing this speech in front of classmates you already know.

Also, you shouldn't end a speech with さよなら unless you are retiring or you are Bilbo Baggins at his birthday party and are planning on disappearing right after you finish your speech. よろしくおねがいします is much more natural.

Just realized he said he already started the studies (guess I wasn't reading his post properly) and it wasn't going to be his first time - so you are correct, shiteimasu is better, (although shimasu also works) and he doesn't need hajimemashite.

"Sayonara" always sounded very sad to me.. especially since we use it in Japanese funerals. When he leaves class and says bye to his friends, a simple "bai bai" works, or just "mata ne" which is a very popular way of sayin "see you/see you again". But it is also weird to say in his speech unless he's leaving right after, so he should definitely stick with "yoroshiku onegaishimasu".

It kind of depends on the weather you can handle. The most hot month is August, and tsuyu ("plum rain") is around June and July (which implies lots of rain and typhoons).

I think September and October are great months!

It was quite nice in April too.

7-11 ATMs dispense 10,000, 5,000, and 1,000 yen notes. Just pulled out 3,000 just a few minutes ago.

7-11 was the only place I'd go to for ATMs and in all cases 10,000 was the minimum withdrawal. The ones I used were outside Tokyo Dome Hotel, Kawaguchiko (last stop before Mt. Fuji), and in Chiba. Maybe its because I was using a foreign debit card that they I had the 10,000 minimum?

Ayumi

It was quite nice in April too.

Oh yeah, my favorite time is during the cherry blossoms season! :3 I love that it happens in different times around Japan so you can travel around and experience it for more than just a few days. We went to Aomori/Akita in May to visit family and the cherry blossoms were still there then. Do you live here or are you planning on coming back? I wanna hang out with you sometime!

Desmond

One more week until I get to go back. So excited!!

@Ayumi: Sunday, as in, today? I fly to Tokyo via Amsterdam next Sunday. lol

Hah, I'm there right now - going to Amsterdam on Sunday, then back to Japan! We're gonna go see Geiranger (such a touristy thing to do).

Haha. Oh, wow, didn't know that you were in Norway right now. Never been to Geiranger myself. Live closer to Oslo.

Ayumi

One more week until I get to go back. So excited!!

@Ayumi: Sunday, as in, today? I fly to Tokyo via Amsterdam next Sunday. lol

No, next one! We have a 6 hours layover in Schiphol from the morning, then flying with KLM to Tokyo. A-Are we on the same flight? That's so awesome if we are!

jae

7-11 was the only place I'd go to for ATMs and in all cases 10,000 was the minimum withdrawal. The ones I used were outside Tokyo Dome Hotel, Kawaguchiko (last stop before Mt. Fuji), and in Chiba. Maybe its because I was using a foreign debit card that they I had the 10,000 minimum?

This is the case. Foreign cards are 10,000 minimum at 7-11. Post office/ゆうちょ ATM are 1000.

Desmond

No, next one! We have a 6 hours layover in Schiphol from the morning, then flying with KLM to Tokyo. A-Are we on the same flight? That's so awesome if we are!
That's a coincidence!
My layover is only 2 and half hours I think.
What time is your flight from Schiphol? Mines at 14:40.

Top Bottom