• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

StMeph

If you're just buying it to get around Tokyo without going to Kyoto/Osaka or something, it's a waste of money.

You can get to about... 80% of the interesting tourist places with a JR Pass. Last 20% or so (including Odaiba and Skytree) requires use of subways/other method of transport.

Oh, no. I'm planning Tokyo, Hakone, Osaka/Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, and Hiroshima/Miyajima over 9.5 days, so I'm definitely getting incredible value out of the JR Pass. But I was wondering about its use within Tokyo, because it's the difference between re-organizing the trip so I only need a 7-day pass (and something else for Tokyo), or a 14-day pass to use for everything.

Oh, no. I'm planning Tokyo, Hakone, Osaka/Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, and Hiroshima/Miyajima over 9.5 days, so I'm definitely getting incredible value out of the JR Pass. But I was wondering about its use within Tokyo, because it's the difference between re-organizing the trip so I only need a 7-day pass (and something else for Tokyo), or a 14-day pass to use for everything.

You'll get the most value out of a 7-day pass + something else. Which airport are you arriving at? Narita or Haneda?

StMeph

You'll get the most value out of a 7-day pass + something else. Which airport are you arriving at? Narita or Haneda?

Neither. The cheapest fare flies into Osaka (KIX), so I will have to get back to Osaka from Tokyo to fly back to the US, which throws a wrench into my JR Pass planning, because nearly all rail travel is front-loaded, except for that return trip to Osaka.

Edit: The current plan is to pay my own fare for Osaka - Kyoto (~$30), and not use the Pass until I'm ready to leave Kyoto to Nara and Himeji (and onward), which means it will be active, but much less useful, during my stay in Tokyo for a few days, but should still be available to return to Osaka, which would otherwise run ~$140.

Neither. The cheapest fare flies into Osaka (KIX), so I will have to get back to Osaka from Tokyo to fly back to the US, which throws a wrench into my JR Pass planning, because nearly all rail travel is front-loaded, except for that return trip to Osaka.

Edit: The current plan is to pay my own fare for Osaka - Kyoto (~$30), and not use the Pass until I'm ready to leave Kyoto to Nara and Himeji (and onward), which means it will be active, but much less useful, during my stay in Tokyo for a few days, but should still be available to return to Osaka, which would otherwise run ~$140.

Oh, ok. If you're arriving at KIX, you should get the Icoca & Haruka deal:
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/pass/icoca-haruka/

You can use the Icoca card on subways in Tokyo, trains/subways in Osaka, buses in Hakone and Nara, trams in Hiroshima and such.

So I'm thinking of getting the Express pass for Harry Potter Osaka. Anyone have any information on this? Is it going to help if I visit in early August? Am I better off visiting DisneySea between the two?

If you're going to Universal Studios Japan, then order your tickets on the website:
Eh, I bought mine from the Japanese website. Seems to have worked fine. Gives you pdf files with QR codes they'll scan. No physical tickets to ship or anything.

http://www.usj.co.jp/ticket/webticket/

If you wait until the day you're there you might get unlucky and the Express passes might get sold out.

I went there on the 7th this month (2 days after Golden Week) with an Express pass 5 and it was great. Managed to take almost all the rides in the whole park, except Flight of the Hippogriff. There were a 1 hour line for that at the time I were in Harry Potter area, and Express Pass 5 doesn't include Hippogriff, so I didn't bother with that one, but it would be manageable to wait if I really wanted to ride it. The longest wait times I saw while I were there was for Hollywood Dream - Backdrop and Evangelion 4D that was 2 hours each. The longest I waited in line without the Express Pass for something I tried was 30 minutes, and with it was 5 minutes or so. :p

If you're going to DisneySea, check the crowding calendar:
Anybody planning to go to Tokyo Disneyland/Disneysea should check this site out for crowd estimates:
http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland/2015/?lang=en

And there's this Japanese only site too:
http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/

We went last year on a day with 90+ estimated crowd level. Went to the Star Wars ride at 1 pm and got a fast pass for 7 pm.

They had also shut down some of the fast pass machines, like the one at Splash Mountain.

Guess one needs to get there earlier if one wants to go on a crowded day.

I went to Disneyland, not DisneySea, on July 30th 2013 (Tuesday) and it was pretty bad. Almost all lines were 2+ hours and the fast pass machines were already shut down as stated above. Only got to ride the Mark Twain Riverboat since that was about the only thing I saw that didn't have lines for hours. Didn't bother hanging around until 7 pm just to try the Star Wars ride either.

That's just my experience and I dunno if DisneySea might be better though.

Ayumi

It shouldn't be too hard to get the passes if you're smart about it. I mean there is a timer so you just gotta plan it carefully. We also went in July 2013, and it was really crowded. We didn't stand much in lines until the evening though, when doing the same rides twice right after each other.

Would never work if you bring kids or are a large group though.

kubus

I'm picking up relatives at Haneda Airport tomorrow and I'm kind of lost what the best is to get there from Hino, Tokyo. Hyperdia gives me a weird route with lots of transfers but when I arrived in Japan I took a bus from Haneda Airport to Tokyo Station so I assume the same can be done the other way around? Would it be easy to find out when I get to Tokyo Station? I can't really find good information on this on the internet.

They arrive pretty early so I'd like to be as much prepared as I can when I leave tomorrow- not much time to figure things out there.

kubus

How early?

Well not like 5 AM early when public transport isn't working yet, but ~9:20 in the morning. It's about 1,5 hours from Hino so I need to leave pretty early. (well, for me waking up at 8 AM is early :p I guess some people will disagree, haha)

Anyway obviously I found some good info right after I posted, and it looks like I should just take the Keikyu Airport Line from Shinagawa station to save some money. Bus seem expensive.
But if anyone knows a way better way... :)

Anyway obviously I found some good info right after I posted, and it looks like I should just take the Keikyu Airport Line from Shinagawa station to save some money. Bus seem expensive.

Yep. That's the best and probably cheapest way. Chuo rapid to Shinjuku or Kanda -> Yamanote (or alternatively Keihin Tohoku from Kanda) to Shinagawa and then Keikyu Airport Express to Haneda.

Edit: Err... If it's from Hino station, that is.

Crossposting from Japan GAF |OT|, since I couldn't find any 3DS owners there.

I need help with a gaming related thing. If anyone can help, please PM me asap. The campaign is free, but you need a 3DS to access the TSUTAYAでDS service.

I already asked for help in the appropriate thread on the gaming side of the forums, but that thread has been dead for a while now :/

Getting kinda desperate here ;//

Ayumi

This is a travel thread.. Probably not gonna help you more than the JapanGAF thread since we're the same people, except the people who drop by only once.

I have no idea where my 3DS is.
Did you ask in the 3DS Import OT?

This is a travel thread.. Probably not gonna help you more than the JapanGAF thread since we're the same people, except the people who drop by only once.

I have no idea where my 3DS is.
Did you ask in the 3DS Import OT?

I don't think there are many people living in Japan in that thread. It's hard to tell.

Crossposting from Japan GAF |OT|, since I couldn't find any 3DS owners there.

Getting kinda desperate here ;//
I saw your post, but was under the impression that somebody took care of you. Anyway, I can help you with that I guess. Dunno if today, but for sure until Sunday evening JST if that's cool with you.

L(@^▽^@)」 Sunday would be great, thank you!
List of stores offering the TSUTAYAでDS service.
That's cool, there is a TSUTAYA on my way back home which offers the service and I have my N3DS with me every day. I'm just not sure, if I will have the time for it today, but I'm pretty sure to go to downtown tomorrow or on Sunday :D. Either way, I will send you the code via PN once I get it!

What exactly are you trying to do? The Bravely Default 2-item is just an early access kind of thing and will be generally available later.

I know, I still want it just for completion purposes. Two pieces are better than one. I'm still considering whether I should redo the entirety of BDFF because I failed to use Rob Blind on the bosses.

That's cool, there is a TSUTAYA on my way back home which offers the service and I have my N3DS with me every day. I'm just not sure, if I will have the time for it today, but I'm pretty sure to go to downtown tomorrow or on Sunday :D. Either way, I will send you the code via PN once I get it!

I really appreciate it. Any time by Monday night would be great.

Hi guys i brought a ticket for round trip nex (Nrt to shinjuku and back).

I wonder how do I use the ticket back( if I use the ticket machines, won't they eat my tickets ?) Which entrance should I enter from and what Level is the train located? Please help, I have a hard time transiting in shinjuku already, don't want my return trip to be worst.

Hi guys i brought a ticket for round trip nex (Nrt to shinjuku and back).

I wonder how do I use the ticket back( if I use the ticket machines, won't they eat my tickets ?) Which entrance should I enter from and what Level is the train located? Please help, I have a hard time transiting in shinjuku already, don't want my return trip to be worst.

You'll either get 2 tickets, 1 each way, or you'll get just 1 ticket and it will not be eaten. If it's not eaten then you'll need to remember to take it with you :p

Shinjuku station map:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e866.html

NEX is platform 5 and 6.

JEKKI

I probably said this before, but need to say it again:

thank you so much Gromph for all your help!!

I just got back from Japan yesterday and had a wonderful time!! Thank you for the help with concert tickets, because there is no way just seeing a single showing would satisfy me! Getting the opportunity to see a show more than once allows me to look for tiny details the second time around since I know what to expect.

so yah... most ppl here always talking about Tokyo and Kansai regions... I went to Sapporo, Aomori, and Sendai; three cities dang near devoid of American tourists lol.

Sapporo is cool, real small tho, you can see the whole city in a day, but hecks no you can eat everything you want lol. There are some hiking trails there too as well which I enjoyed:

11148467_895705600488889_2218369861575610773_o.jpg

The view from the top of Maruyama.

Aomori is rough lol. It's real cool to get away from the busy city and see a much more run down environment in Japan. The businesses there are not used to tourists at all and the airbnb which I stayed there was like "uhhhh so why are you in Aomori??" lol. Even the hiking trail I went to (Oirase River) thought I was from Taiwan since they're not used to seeing Americans there. My only regret is I failed to get a picture of this run down abandoned billiards club on my bus ride to and from the river.

Sendai was initially overwhelming, it felt like a mini Tokyo at first, but again it only takes about a day to realize everything is condensed into a single area and all you needa do is walk a few kilometers to see open space again.

all in all I gotta say, fuck Japan. I want to travel as much of the world as I can, but like the thread title says, you cannot just go once. This was my 2nd time and all I wanna do now is go back, like there's no other reason to visit anywhere else. I was so depressed at the airport too, dang near freaking out like I just do not want to go home!!

Thankfully I have a thing I wanna do in Amsterdam later this year so there's a bit of travel diversity for me there, but I swear once that's done it's back to planning the next visit to Japan!

Thriller

Hey dude, glad to hear that you had a good time. Give me a heads up when you are in Amsterdam, I could show you around if you'd like!

I probably said this before, but need to say it again:

thank you so much Gromph for all your help!!

I just got back from Japan yesterday and had a wonderful time!! Thank you for the help with concert tickets, because there is no way just seeing a single showing would satisfy me! Getting the opportunity to see a show more than once allows me to look for tiny details the second time around since I know what to expect.

so yah... most ppl here always talking about Tokyo and Kansai regions... I went to Sapporo, Aomori, and Sendai; three cities dang near devoid of American tourists lol.

Sapporo is cool, real small tho, you can see the whole city in a day, but hecks no you can eat everything you want lol. There are some hiking trails there too as well which I enjoyed:

The view from the top of Maruyama.

Aomori is rough lol. It's real cool to get away from the busy city and see a much more run down environment in Japan. The businesses there are not used to tourists at all and the airbnb which I stayed there was like "uhhhh so why are you in Aomori??" lol. Even the hiking trail I went to (Oirase River) thought I was from Taiwan since they're not used to seeing Americans there. My only regret is I failed to get a picture of this run down abandoned billiards club on my bus ride to and from the river.

Sendai was initially overwhelming, it felt like a mini Tokyo at first, but again it only takes about a day to realize everything is condensed into a single area and all you needa do is walk a few kilometers to see open space again.

all in all I gotta say, fuck Japan. I want to travel as much of the world as I can, but like the thread title says, you cannot just go once. This was my 2nd time and all I wanna do now is go back, like there's no other reason to visit anywhere else. I was so depressed at the airport too, dang near freaking out like I just do not want to go home!!

Thankfully I have a thing I wanna do in Amsterdam later this year so there's a bit of travel diversity for me there, but I swear once that's done it's back to planning the next visit to Japan!

Thriller

Oh and by the way I still have a question!

The travel plans are coming together nicely but I am still in doubt of what would be the most affordable way of transportation through Tokyo.

The moment my dad and I arrive at Haneda we will turn in our Japan Rail Pass voucher and we will not activate it yet but we will write down the date that it should be activated.

Then the fun starts, Do we buy two passmo passes which we can charge or is a Tokyo Combination day ticket (which is 1590 Yen) the most economical way to go each day.

I know that my dad and I want to go to Mount Takao and that it takes some metros and trains and with all other things we want to see I am a bit torn between the two options.

Another thing is that after we have left Haneda airport and we are on our way to our hostel we would like to go to the Tokyo sky tree on the first evening. When I looked at the website it said that you can order tickets in advance but the website is in Japanese so we are shit out of luck. How busy does it get there when we just take our chances by walking (or subway-ing) there. Are there any queues?

I hope someone can help me out a bit here :)

AND! last but not least, how can I share my pictures with you guys when I am finally (6th of July lol) there?

Ayumi

AND! last but not least, how can I share my pictures with you guys when I am finally (6th of July lol) there?

Using an image host that doesn't limit the bandwidth is good.
Flickr or Imgur, for instance. You can make albums in both and just link us the album.
If you want to post pictures directly in the thread, we (well, I at least) prefer you don't post that many at once since it kinda makes scrolling annoying from mobile (which some of us use a lot when browsing GAF), and that you remember to post them in
to re-size the preview.

I guess common courtesy would be to just upload in a album and link that instead of hotlinking images. :3

And I'm pretty sure MikeHattsu will answer your other questions.

Thriller

I have an Imgur account that I never use and I've downloaded it onto my cellphone but how do I reach the album that I created to share whilst on my phone X_X this is confusing lol.

Using an image host that doesn't limit the bandwidth is good.
Flickr or Imgur, for instance. You can make albums in both and just link us the album.
If you want to post pictures directly in the thread, we (well, I at least) prefer you don't post that many at once since it kinda makes scrolling annoying from mobile (which some of us use a lot when browsing GAF), and that you remember to post them in
to re-size the preview.

I guess common courtesy would be to just upload in a album and link that instead of hotlinking images. :3

And I'm pretty sure MikeHattsu will answer your other questions.

The moment my dad and I arrive at Haneda we will turn in our Japan Rail Pass voucher and we will not activate it yet but we will write down the date that it should be activated.

Then the fun starts, Do we buy two passmo passes which we can charge or is a Tokyo Combination day ticket (which is 1590 Yen) the most economical way to go each day.

I know that my dad and I want to go to Mount Takao and that it takes some metros and trains and with all other things we want to see I am a bit torn between the two options.

Another thing is that after we have left Haneda airport and we are on our way to our hostel we would like to go to the Tokyo sky tree on the first evening. When I looked at the website it said that you can order tickets in advance but the website is in Japanese so we are shit out of luck. How busy does it get there when we just take our chances by walking (or subway-ing) there. Are there any queues?

The Tokyo Combination Ticket/Tokyo Tour Ticket is not worth it, unless you take the trains/subways 8-10 times each day. It will NOT help you get to Mt. Takao, since it's only valid within the 23 special wards of Tokyo and doesn't work on Keio Corporation trains.

Since you're arriving at Haneda, and if you plan to use the subways a lot (at least 3-4 rides a day) and you're in Tokyo for 3 days (or more) you could get the Welcome! Tokyo Subway Ticket 3 day package:
http://www.haneda-tokyo-access.com/en/info/discountticket_welcometokyo.html

You should get a Pasmo card in addition though since that will enable you to take trains as well and not just subways (+ trains/subways in Osaka, etc.).

The best way to get to Mount Takao is to take the Keio line train from Shinjuku to Kitano and then change to the Keio Takao line and ride it all the way to Takaosanguchi. Some trains go directly to Takaosanguchi as well, so you don't need to change trains. Costs 390 JPY total one way and you can use a Pasmo card for that. Oh, and Keio trains are not JR trains of course, so JR Pass won't work :p

There might be lines at the Skytree. Depends on what day and time you're there. I've never been inside the Skytree, so dunno how bad it could get. I like going to the Mori Tower Sky Deck since it's open air. Not as tall as the Skytree though.

Finally sorted out the pics from my trip, so here it is:
Album with pics from my May 2015 trip

Once again, there's 2-3 pics that might be considered NSFW, so don't browse at work :p

Visited these places:
Kyoto
Nintendo Building
Osaka
Kyoto Animation
Nara
Miyajima
Hiroshima
Himeji
Universal Studios
Hakone
Ghibli Museum
Studio Ghibli Buildings
Shaft Building
Bones Building
Yoyogi Park
Harajuku
Shibuya
Kabukicho
Yokohama in Aomori
Akihabara
Asakusa
Odaiba
Star Wars Visions
Nakano Broadway

Ayumi

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks!!!!! Let's hope I don't get lost on that day =p the station is a nightmare to navigate lol

Just make sure you never exit any gates if you end up on the wrong place.
If you exit the train in the wrong place and leave the gates, your ticket will be eaten up.

If you accidentally get off at the wrong station, you can still go back on to Shinjuku (as long as it's JR line and you don't leave the gates).
I have an Imgur account that I never use and I've downloaded it onto my cellphone but how do I reach the album that I created to share whilst on my phone X_X this is confusing lol.
Which Imgur app are you using? There are many unofficial ones, I don't know which one to recommend though.
Won't you have a computer or anything with you? You could just sync your photos to your computer and do it from there.

Great photos Mike :) Was that your first time in Nara? Considering a trip in Feb 2016 but I still worry about the distance from Tokyo and whether there's enough to do there! Curious to hear your thoughts on the place.

Nah, my second time. If you like temples, gardens and deer then there's a lot of that there.

It's only 30-45 mins with train to Osaka or Kyoto as well if you want to go to a bigger city from Nara.

hwalker84

Finally sorted out the pics from my trip, so here it is:
Album with pics from my May 2015 trip

Once again, there's 2-3 pics that might be considered NSFW, so don't browse at work :p

Visited these places:
Kyoto
Nintendo Building
Osaka
Kyoto Animation
Nara
Miyajima
Hiroshima
Himeji
Universal Studios
Hakone
Ghibli Museum
Studio Ghibli Buildings
Shaft Building
Bones Building
Yoyogi Park
Harajuku
Shibuya
Kabukicho
Yokohama in Aomori
Akihabara
Asakusa
Odaiba
Star Wars Visions
Nakano Broadway

Love the pictures. I love everyone albums. Makes me happy and sad (I wish I was rich and didn't have to work and could spend months there at a time). So many of the same places I went to between my 2 trips.

138 - Yoshinoya?
175 - Mos Burger.... barf! Finally tried it last trip and this is the worst burger franchise I've ever tasted.

kubus

Awesome pics Mike! :D

Going to Disney Sea on friday - what's the best/cheapest way to get tickets? I saw some ad at a station about getting a discount for going on a weekday (it was like 6200 yen instead of the regular 6900 yen entrance fee iirc) but I can't find anything about that on their website. Maybe I dreamed it?

Ayumi

Awesome pics Mike! :D

Going to Disney Sea on friday - what's the best/cheapest way to get tickets? I saw some ad at a station about getting a discount for going on a weekday (it was like 6200 yen instead of the regular 6900 yen entrance fee iirc) but I can't find anything about that on their website. Maybe I dreamed it?
If you really wanna save money, you can buy After 6 tickets for 4,200円. They're only valid after 6 PM and DisneySea closes 10 PM.

Love the pictures. I love everyone albums. Makes me happy and sad (I wish I was rich and didn't have to work and could spend months there at a time). So many of the same places I went to between my 2 trips.

138 - Yoshinoya?
175 - Mos Burger.... barf! Finally tried it last trip and this is the worst burger franchise I've ever tasted.

138/139 is Suyaki.

176 is Mos Burger, but it's a chicken burger, so it was fine :p

412 is Yoshinoya.

And I actually got an AirMos burger on the flight home:

Had to assemble it ourselves. Not sure that was a good idea on a plane with ketchup and sauce :p

JEKKI

whaaaat?!?! as a stuck-up In N Out loving resident of southern cali, I'd say Mos Burger is great!!

11257755_834410369977646_1532641400_n.jpg

That was my dinner at 4:30 PM before my Kato Miliyah concert in Sapporo because all the good ramen and soup curry spots weren't gonna open til 5PM.

but yah I mean it's fast food, what do you expect? lol

Hey dude, glad to hear that you had a good time. Give me a heads up when you are in Amsterdam, I could show you around if you'd like!
whooo! sounds good!

do you know any good stuff in Heerlen too? that's where my main event will be (break dancing competition, IBE 2015)

Ayumi

If you guys want great burgers, there's J.S. Burger (best at Shibuya Parco or Harajuku/Omotesando, avoid the Shinjuku one) and Burger Mania (Ebisu and Hiroo). The Great Burger (Harajuku) is awesome too.

hwalker84

whaaaat?!?! as a stuck-up In N Out loving resident of southern cali, I'd say Mos Burger is great!!

11257755_834410369977646_1532641400_n.jpg

That was my dinner at 4:30 PM before my Kato Miliyah concert in Sapporo because all the good ramen and soup curry spots weren't gonna open til 5PM.

but yah I mean it's fast food, what do you expect? lol

whooo! sounds good!

do you know any good stuff in Heerlen too? that's where my main event will be (break dancing competition, IBE 2015)
The meat is disgusting. Grey mystery meat looking filth. Abhorrent, detestable, vile. McDonald's, and Burger King are 1000x's better. Fries were decent though.

If you guys want great burgers, there's J.S. Burger (best at Shibuya Parco or Harajuku/Omotesando, avoid the Shinjuku one) and Burger Mania (Ebisu and Hiroo). The Great Burger (Harajuku) is awesome too.

Heading to Harajuku today so ill keep an eye out for that one!
Just arrived yesterday, was jetlagged to death. We had to wait til 3pm to check in and I could actively feel myself falling asleep as we walked around. Were in Akasaka, just took a strolle through the area and stumbled across Hie shrine which was pretty amazing to find.

Thanks for the pics, mike! My wife and I are looking through them right now for some last minute ideas for our trip (we leave this Thursday!).

Where is this Cat Art from images IMG_4137.jpg and IMG_4144.jpg? I wouldn't mind picking up a print

Thanks for the pics, mike! My wife and I are looking through them right now for some last minute ideas for our trip (we leave this Thursday!).

Where is this Cat Art from images IMG_4137.jpg and IMG_4144.jpg? I wouldn't mind picking up a print

They sold it in the Hakone Open Air museum gift shop.

Top Bottom