• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

StMeph

By the way, just in case you didn't already know this website, you can check the train timetable on Hyperdia. Very handy.

Wow. That is super handy. All of my train travel estimates were based on the regular routes, apparently (thanks Google), so that helps tremendously.

hitsugi

Wow. That is super handy. All of my train travel estimates were based on the regular routes, apparently (thanks Google), so that helps tremendously.

Hyperdia was godlike when we went a couple of years ago. Not sure if google maps got good enough to replace it, but Hyperdia never failed us.

I just downloaded the hyperdia app, thanks! Just a heads up, the app is free to use for 30 days. If anyone is thinking of using it for free while actually in Japan, make sure you don't download it until the end of your visit is within the 30 days (mine is, whew!)

My wife and I are tumbling down the rabbit hole of themed restaurants and cafes. There's too many.

Has anyone been to the Ninja restaurant in Kyoto? I've been to Ninja NY and loved it, but the Kyoto one has a live acrobat show.

I just downloaded the hyperdia app, thanks! Just a heads up, the app is free to use for 30 days. If anyone is thinking of using it for free while actually in Japan, make sure you don't download it until the end of your visit is within the 30 days (mine is, whew!)

I've used the Hyperdia app for 2 of my trips to Japan and I've never paid anything. Only the JR Pass preferred search is paid I think. Don't really need that.

kubus

Yup the Hyperdia app started asking for money today :(
Kinda dumb because the site is free and it's not like you can use the app offline anyway.

StMeph

So I am an idiot and forgot to account for losing a day due to the time difference after flying in. I don't actually arrive until Sunday, so some things in Tokyo had to be cut/combined.

StMeph said:
Day 1 (SUN): Arrival in Japan
-- No plans. Unpack/settle in, maybe find a late-night spot.

Day 2 (MON): Tokyo
-- Harajuku/Shibuya

Day 3 (TUE): Tokyo - Hakone
-- Tokyo: Tsukiji Fish Market, Kodokan, Ghibli Museum
=== TO HAKONE
-- Hakone: onsen ryokan

Day 4 (WED): Hakone - Osaka
=== TO OSAKA
-- Osaka: Dotonbori

Day 5 (THU): Osaka - Kyoto
=== TO KYOTO
-- Kiyomizudera Temple, Higashiyama, Gion

Day 6 (FRI): Kyoto - Himeji - Hiroshima/Miyajima
-- Kyoto: Kinkakuji
=== TO HIMEJI
-- Himeji Castle
===TO HIROSHIMA/MIYAJIMA

Day 7 (SAT): Hiroshima/Miyajima - Tokyo
-- Miyajima: Itsukushima Shrine
-- Hiroshima: Peace Park
=== TO TOKYO

Day 8 (SUN): Outbound to US
-- outbound flight

Hakone's back in since people seem to recommend its ryokan over those in Kyoto.

With HyperDia, it seems like Tokyo to Yokohama is only about 20 minutes away. How is the Ramen Museum?

dani_dc

Went to the Ryogoku Kokugikan to watch a Sumo tournament today.

CbDoqzK.jpg

yTuTn4Z.jpg

xYSm2NN.jpg

It wasn't particularly entertaining. Lots of pre-match time with several fake-starts, and then it was over in 30 seconds or less. Even with a few dozens of matches it felt like I saw very little fight time.

I'm sure I lost all the nuance and interesting details, it sure felt that way when there was a lot of clapping for fake starts or throwing the salt very high.

It did become more interesting when we figured out which side was which, which allowed us to root for the dudes with the 0 wins 5 loses records, but that lasted maybe an hour before we went back to boredom.

With Sumo done, I only need to attend one more boring sport, baseball.

Went to the Ryogoku Kokugikan to watch a Sumo tournament today.

It wasn't particularly entertaining. Lots of pre-match time with several fake-starts, and then it was over in 30 seconds or less. Even with a few dozens of matches it felt like I saw very little fight time.

I'm sure I lost all the nuance and interesting details, it sure felt that way when there was a lot of clapping for fake starts or throwing the salt very high.

It did become more interesting when we figured out which side was which, which allowed us to root for the dudes with the 0 wins 5 loses records, but that lasted maybe an hour before we went back to boredom.

With Sumo done, I only need to attend one more boring sport, baseball.

Japanese baseball is great. Crowd seems way more energetic than US games. Well, I'm a White Sox fan so I suppose there's not a ton to be excited about, but I thought the game I went to last year was fantastic.

Jachaos

There's some nice ticket options for next Thursday but I could also leave some time later. Is Thursday too tight a call for booking everything? JRPass.com says next-day delivery for Canada but I don't know about everything, say a SIM card/portable wi-fi and all of that stuff. Maybe I should leave a few days later instead.

You guys seem to have gone to the Robot Restaurant recently, guess it'll be tougher to find someone to try that with. Are there any meet-ups lined up? I know a few people over there and I'll want some time to travel the country by myself but it'd be cool to meet with some of you all.

Mazre

Winding down my second business trip to Japan, enjoying a beer in the lounge at the airport. Pretty hectic, originally supposed to be 3 days at customer facility and two days of meetings in Tokyo turned into 5 days at customer facility and as many hotels due to constantly changing plans. Managed a quick dash to akihabara this morning before catching the bus to the airport. The good news, is that despite getting sick and numerous hurdles the boss and customer are happy. Think next trip I may extend my return date and spend some time on my own dollar.

dani_dc

Japanese baseball is great. Crowd seems way more energetic than US games. Well, I'm a White Sox fan so I suppose there's not a ton to be excited about, but I thought the game I went to last year was fantastic.

Baseball strikes me as a sport that would be fun to play but not so much to watch.

Any particular recommendations for Baseball Japanese teams around Tokyo that I should keep my eyes out for (to get tickets)?
You guys seem to have gone to the Robot Restaurant recently, guess it'll be tougher to find someone to try that with. Are there any meet-ups lined up? I know a few people over there and I'll want some time to travel the country by myself but it'd be cool to meet with some of you all.

There's always gaffers coming and going, so there might be other people around here that might be up for Robot Restaurant.

No scheduled meet-ups at this point, but if anyone wants to organize something I'm always up to attend.

Baseball strikes me as a sport that would be fun to play but not so much to watch.

Any particular recommendations for Baseball Japanese teams around Tokyo that I should keep my eyes out for (to get tickets)?

There's always gaffers coming and going, so there might be other people around here that might be up for Robot Restaurant.

No scheduled meet-ups at this point, but if anyone wants to organize something I'm always up to attend.

Yakult Swallows are in a much smaller scale old school stadium (from the Tokyo Olympics right?), Giants are in a modern big complex.

Hyperdia was godlike when we went a couple of years ago. Not sure if google maps got good enough to replace it, but Hyperdia never failed us.

They seems to not include local stations like Nishishinjuku Gochome Station. I tried using that as my starting station and got "The starting station(From) is not found." :(

Anyone want to educate me?

Goggle map is more user friendly.

edit

http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/ shows me that Goggle map is accurate so far :D

edit edit

i am going next week Friday. Any special events in japan from 23 to 31 that i should be aware of?

Ayumi

They seems to not include local stations like Nishishinjuku Gochome Station. I tried using that as my starting station and got "The starting station(From) is not found." :(

Goggle map is more user friendly.

Be careful with Google Maps, if you don't know the names or areas at all, it sometimes pins the location in a WHOLE different place than where you want to go. Usually happens if you write only a name and not an address though.

You need to be really accurate with the name. The name it accepts is NISHI-SHINJUKU-GOCHOME

You need to be really accurate with the name. The name it accepts is NISHI-SHINJUKU-GOCHOME
:0 Ohhhhhhhhhh

Be careful with Google Maps, if you don't know the names or areas at all, it sometimes pins the location in a WHOLE different place than where you want to go. Usually happens if you write only a name and not an address though.

Most of the time i don't have a pinpoint location , the destination is usually a train station (Shibuya station etc) so i should be OK :D

I am not sure if this is the right place since I am not in for vacation, but I don't like making threads, LOL.

It's my first time traveling outside the country so forgive me for stupid questions.

Anyways, it seems to be already set in stone that my company will send me and a few others to Japan for 3 months for training. And honestly, I feel that three months is too long, but eh. Plan is we'll be there by June.

HR hasn't given us ANY detail at all, not even our departure date (though I saw the date May 29 last time I went there). I *think* the location of the company we're getting training/work from is (or was) near Roppongi but they're moving/moved to Kanagawa IIRC.

1. Laundry.

Are there laundry services there? I know jack shit about laundry. College? Laundry service. Right now? Still laundry service. I do mean laundry service and not just those places which rents out washing machines.

How much do they cost? We're only on an allowance and I am planning to bring two weeks worth of clothes.

2. Taking back shit home

I am debating whether or not to buy a PS4. It's 20% cheaper there compared to my own country. Plus maybe a gift or two for my family. And I'd also want to bring my Vita there.

Are there any limitions on taking any thing into/outside Japan in my luggage? Anything I need to know about?

3. How do I cheap out on food?

Seriously. I am not a food guy.

I am expecting that our daily allowances will be three times than our daily salary (the guys who went to Poland had as much). Aside from buying some stuff, meeting with friends in Japan, some touring around (includes food trip if ever), I want to save as much as possible. The money might as well go to my brother's schooling.

I am still hoping they'd give us higher allowance since apparently, cost of living in Japan is greater than that of Poland's. :/

I did fancy on the thought of bringing some food on the way there, but it's still three months.

4. Summer

Our summer is about to end in a month or two. And when we get there, I think it'd would be start of summer and we leave at end of summer (june - august).

I live in a tropical country. The past few months, the temperature has been really crappy. I would have effectively spent half the year in hotness. Then a co-worker who's grew up in Japan said summer in Japan is worse that in my country.

How do I not die from double summer combo? :(

Ayumi

1. Laundry.

Are there laundry services there? I know jack shit about laundry. College? Laundry service. Right now? Still laundry service. I do mean laundry service and not just those places which rents out washing machines.

How much do they cost? We're only on an allowance and I am planning to bring two weeks worth of clothes.
There are laundromats. I never used them so I don't know how much they normally cost but I can't imagine they're pricey. You can find cheap second-hand laundry machines from Craigslist by people who are leaving Japan, but be cautious if you buy from there.
2. Taking back shit home

I am debating whether or not to buy a PS4. It's 20% cheaper there compared to my own country. Plus maybe a gift or two for my family. And I'd also want to bring my Vita there.

Are there any limitions on taking any thing into/outside Japan in my luggage? Anything I need to know about?
Other than weight, not really. Unless you count forbidden items like dairy products, etc.
3. How do I cheap out on food?

Seriously. I am not a food guy.
Depending on where you buy the food, you can find very cheap vegetables and cook your own meals. There are tons of "save money while eating" guides and tips online that counts for every country. If you eat out, it will cost you.. but it also depends on where you eat and what you eat. Some meals are obviously a lot cheaper to just buy outside than to make on your own. Konbini (convenience stores) have decent priced meals, but you'd probably get sick of eating there for 3 months..
I am expecting that our daily allowances will be three times than our daily salary (the guys who went to Poland had as much). Aside from buying some stuff, meeting with friends in Japan, some touring around (includes food trip if ever), I want to save as much as possible. The money might as well go to my brother's schooling.

I am still hoping they'd give us higher allowance since apparently, cost of living in Japan is greater than that of Poland's. :/

I did fancy on the thought of bringing some food on the way there, but it's still three months.
Honestly, it sounds like you haven't been given enough information about this trip. You need to ask them straight out so you won't get fucked over by your own job. They might not even know about prices and what to expect in Japan. Please make sure you ask them before you accept/leave for the trip. You sound very nervous and it sounds like you don't know what's going on at all. They're obligated to tell you before shipping you out.

No idea where you are from, but you might want to considered that Japan is more expensive than your own country. Would be helpful if you let us know where you're from.
4. Summer

Our summer is about to end in a month or two. And when we get there, I think it'd would be start of summer and we leave at end of summer (june - august).

I live in a tropical country. The past few months, the temperature has been really crappy. I would have effectively spent half the year in hotness. Then a co-worker who's grew up in Japan said summer in Japan is worse that in my country.

How do I not die from double summer combo? :(
You never mentioned where you lived, so I can't tell you how it compares. You are arriving in June during the tsuyu (rain season, yay typhoons) and August is the hottest month. So it will be hot, and it will be summer. It's not so bad RIGHT now but it will get hot very fast. Around 30-34 in Tokyo during August.

I think you should also ask your company about your work schedule, unless you already know. You might end up working WAY more than you expect, or the same as before. If you spend most of your days inside, the heat won't be that bad (if you have a good A/C in the office). But.. people deal with heat differently. If you're from a tropical country, I'm sure you will be fine, lol.

Jachaos

So I booked my ticket and am leaving Sunday. I was initially set to go with a friend but he can't because of his new job. I debated not going because of that or going alone (I can't find anyone else that has the time and/or money to go this summer and then it's last year at University that starts in September so I'd be the one not able to go).

I have 24h to cancel and get a full refund and am now thinking my decision over. Traveling alone is a bit intimidating as I've gone elsewhere but always with people I knew (my family, school, etc.) and the places I visited have been French or English speaking (UK, France, Switzerland, California and many east coast states) except for a resort in Cuba when I was 11, so as a French Canadian it wasn't too bad.

On the other hand it can be an empowering experience and I know someone who's leaving Tuesday the 26th so I could spend a bit of time with him before then and then I'd spend a bit of time with someone else who lives there. The thing is I wouldn't be able to spend much time with them and I don't know how easy it is to find people to do stuff with, be they from there or ex-pats or fellow tourists.

There are laundromats. I never used them so I don't know how much they normally cost but I can't imagine they're pricey. You can find cheap second-hand laundry machines from Craigslist by people who are leaving Japan, but be cautious if you buy from there.

I think he wants somebody to do the laundry for him?

I have 24h to cancel and get a full refund and am now thinking my decision over. Traveling alone is a bit intimidating as I've gone elsewhere but always with people I knew (my family, school, etc.) and the places I visited have been French or English speaking (UK, France, Switzerland, California and many east coast states) except for a resort in Cuba when I was 11, so as a French Canadian it wasn't too bad.

On the other hand it can be an empowering experience and I know someone who's leaving Tuesday the 26th so I could spend a bit of time with him before then and then I'd spend a bit of time with someone else who lives there. The thing is I wouldn't be able to spend much time with them and I don't know how easy it is to find people to do stuff with, be they from there or ex-pats or fellow tourists.

It can be just as much fun going alone. Then you can do whatever you want all the time and not worry about what anybody else wants to check out.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
The guy is worried about not having enough food money.. I don't see using a laundry service be good for his budget, unless it's a laundromat. :v

Laundromats are ¥300 per washing machine and ¥200 for the dryer.

Quick

Banned
I might be shifting my travel plans next year from spring to fall.

Is that a better idea than spring, bad idea, or either season is fine?

My itinerary's grown from my initial idea of two weeks in a few cities to potentially 3 weeks to a month and hitting more cities. Plans are still barebones right now.

I might be shifting my travel plans next year from spring to fall.

Is that a better idea than spring, bad idea, or either season is fine?

My itinerary's grown from my initial idea of two weeks in a few cities to potentially 3 weeks to a month and hitting more cities. Plans are still barebones right now.

Either is fine. October or November is probably better for travel than September though, because of typhoons.

Ayumi

Laundromats are ¥300 per washing machine and ¥200 for the dryer.
In ny second post, I was talking about laundry services that do it for you, I guess they are called cleaning services, cleaning suits etc.

I already suggested him to use laundromats and to it himself there, or buy a cheap second-hand washing machine.

Thanks for the answers.

I don't like giving where I live, but it's in the mailtags. I doubt you'd be able to add much even if you knew.

Less nervous, more worry-wart. I'd rather know what to expect than be there, go "SHIT", then be frustrated for a day or two.

I think he wants somebody to do the laundry for him?

Yeah, Mike got it right. There's not a single laundrymat here in my city. Every place is someone doing the laundry and folding for you. Oh well, laundrymat it is.

Depending on where you buy the food, you can find very cheap vegetables and cook your own meals. There are tons of "save money while eating" guides and tips online that counts for every country. If you eat out, it will cost you.. but it also depends on where you eat and what you eat. Some meals are obviously a lot cheaper to just buy outside than to make on your own. Konbini (convenience stores) have decent priced meals, but you'd probably get sick of eating there for 3 months.

The guy is worried about not having enough food money.. I don't see using a laundry service be good for his budget, unless it's a laundromat. :v

I'm less worried about having enough food money, more about how much I can pocket. It's still significant money for me, so might as well either snuck them in a bank for my bro or put them in investments.

Honestly, it sounds like you haven't been given enough information about this trip. You need to ask them straight out so you won't get fucked over by your own job. They might not even know about prices and what to expect in Japan. Please make sure you ask them before you accept/leave for the trip. You sound very nervous and it sounds like you don't know what's going on at all. They're obligated to tell you before shipping you out.

Indeed, we haven't been given much information. I asked my managers last week and they got nothing yet. And they're supposed to be the first to know.

I doubt I can refuse, considering we're the core team for a new business line. So yes, maybe the pressure is getting to me and I am nervous.

Also, the summer part is mostly just a rant. :p

Weather's been really hot here (lol 36 deg C max temp, 39 heat index). I just want my colder weather. :(

Do I need to wear bugspray for mosquitoes and/or ticks in Japan? I do plan on doing some hiking at the Fushima Inara shrine and I've got another hike written down on my list, can't remember off the top of my head. I might hit up the Imperial Garden too. Same question for sunblock?

Do I need to wear bugspray for mosquitoes and/or ticks in Japan? I do plan on doing some hiking at the Fushima Inara shrine and I've got another hike written down on my list, can't remember off the top of my head. I might hit up the Imperial Garden too. Same question for sunblock?

You could go without, but it's better if you do wear bugspray and sunblock of course.

Cedric

This might be a silly question, I'm trying to figure out the JR Pass: can you use the pass to travel within cities? Or is it strictly to go from one city to the next one? For instance, if I'm in Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto, will the pass allow me to go from one point to another within the city or will I have to invest in three different types of bus passes on top of the JR pass?

This might be a silly question, I'm trying to figure out the JR Pass: can you use the pass to travel within cities? Or is it strictly to go from one city to the next one? For instance, if I'm in Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto, will the pass allow me to go from one point to another within the city or will I have to invest in three different types of bus passes on top of the JR pass?

JR Trains in Tokyo and Osaka will take the JR Pass. Buses in Kyoto (and subways in Tokyo and Osaka) will not.

JR Trains in Tokyo and Osaka will take the JR Pass. Buses in Kyoto (and subways in Tokyo and Osaka) will not.

Is there an easy way to tell? I'm using Google Maps and it displays a JR icon but I'm worried I'll try to use it for everything and look like an idiot sometimes.

Cedric

Alright, thanks. Do most tourists buy a bus pass to get around within cities? If so, is there such a thing as a pass that you can use for buses anywhere?

Alright, thanks. Do most tourists buy a bus pass to get around within cities? If so, is there such a thing as a pass that you can use for buses anywhere?

In Kyoto you should use the buses. A 1 day bus pass costs 500 JPY. You can buy as many as you want and use one each day.

In Tokyo and Osaka, use the JR trains (and subways if you're going to places that's not covered by JR).

Oh, and note that you can only use JR trains with the JR pass. You can not use it for trains run by other companies. (With a few exceptions like the monorail from Haneda.)

Cedric

In Kyoto you should use the buses. A 1 day bus pass costs 500 JPY. You can buy as many as you want and use one each day.

In Tokyo and Osaka, use the JR trains (and subways if you're going to places that's not covered by JR).

Oh, and note that you can only use JR trains with the JR pass. You can not use it for trains run by other companies. (With a few exceptions like the monorail from Haneda.)

Great, thanks for the info!

StMeph

Is there a good way to book a flight into Tokyo, but out from Osaka? I haven't been able to find this kind of airfare search.

I saw the Yomiuri Giants and Hanshin Tigers play. Admittedly that is basically the premier rivalry in Japanese baseball which might account for why the crowd was so energetic. The Giants play at the Tokyo Dome which is super easy to get to and there's a bunch of restaurants and stores immediately around it.

Otherwise there are the Marines in Chiba, their stadium is like a 40 minute train ride out of Tokyo (I was there for a concert). Then the Lions, also outside of Tokyo but I don't know anything about them.

Zyzyxxz

Got back from my 6 day trip in Tokyo. I feel I spent too long in Tokyo and ran out of stuff to do.

Next time prob gonna head to Kyoto and Osaka instead and maybe only spend 2 days in Tokyo. Need to explore the food scene in the rest of Japan.

I'd like to find some information about capsule hotels.

I think there's a few capsule hotels in Tokyo that offer double rooms (two people), and are actually mixed. Does anyone happen to know what they are?

I'm asking more for the experience rather than the price... I think it'd be really cool to check it out, so I was wondering if there were any anyone knew about and could recommend!

There's this place:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._Hotel-Koto_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

How useful is JR Pass in getting around within Tokyo? Or will I need something else like Suica/Pasmo?

If you're just buying it to get around Tokyo without going to Kyoto/Osaka or something, it's a waste of money.

You can get to about... 80% of the interesting tourist places with a JR Pass. Last 20% or so (including Odaiba and Skytree) requires use of subways/other method of transport.

Top Bottom