• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Thriller

This might be a ridiculous question but is a full beard generally accepted in Japan or will people frown upon me and evade me as if I were a person with leprocy?

StMeph

This might be a ridiculous question but is a full beard generally accepted in Japan or will people frown upon me and evade me as if I were a person with leprocy?

image.php

You hiding something?

canocha

Yeah, if you just have to visit all three places that plan seems good.

I'm limiting the visit to few places and see the maximum possible in all of them.
I'll probably return there to see some more!

Any places truly recommended?

Yes this! I would really like to know.

JKTrix

I am a large black man and I when I was there I had a 3 month old full beard.

They didn't avoid me any more than if I were just a large black man. Take it as you will.

You're a foreigner, a guest, you will generally be treated as such.

OK so this is the work in progress plan I have for the trip at the moment, I might be over planning things for myself but I just want to make sure the key things I want to do I don't miss.

Start Date Wednesday 30th of Setpember
Day 1: Fly to Tokyo from Perth, arrive at 22:30, get to hotel before Midnight Hopefully
Day 2: Explore Tokyo, don't set out to do anything in particular other than going to the Squar-Enix cafe, just want to get my bearings.
Day 3: National Museum of Nature and Science in the morning and then check out Akihabara
Day 4: Tama Zoo
Day 5: Nothing Planned
Day 6: Studio Ghibli Museum in Morning and then Inokashira Park in afternoon, go to Ristorante Massa for Dinner (restraunt run by Iron Chef Italian)
Day 7: Nothing Planned
Day 8: Disney
Day 9: Nothing Planned
Day 10: Ueno Zoo and then game shopping in Akihabara in the evening
Day 11: Leave Tokyo for Nagoya, explore Nagoya for awhile and then go to Critical Hit Bar
Day 12: Head to Port of Nagoya and go to Nagoya Aquarium
Day 13: Leave Nagoya for Osaka, go to Osamu Tezuka Museum
Day 14: Travel to Kyoto to see several things there
Day 15: Universal Studios|
Day 16: Osaka Aquarium in the morning, check out Denden Town in the evening.
Day 17: Fly out of Osaka for Singapore for rest of trip (5 days in Singapore and then 7 days in Bali before heading home.)

Got a few free days planned for Tokyo as I'm sure there will be lots of things that I'll find out about while over there to see.

Ayumi

I am a large black man and I when I was there I had a 3 month old full beard.

They didn't avoid me any more than if I were just a large black man. Take it as you will.

You're a foreigner, a guest, you will generally be treated as such.

People stare if you're not Asian/don't look Japanese. Whether you're white, black, bearded, fat, skinny.
It is never meant to be negative attention, they're just curious and interested in foreigners.

Heck, most Japanese guys can't even grow a proper beard so they are often jealous of those who can.
Don't worry about it!

Tabris

Maybe because I was only in Tokyo, but I don't understand this staring thing as it never happened to me. Everyone was super polite and no one stared (unless I was oblivious).

I think that may just be an outside Tokyo thing.

People stare if you're not Asian/don't look Japanese. Whether you're white, black, bearded, fat, skinny.
It is never meant to be negative attention, they're just curious and interested in foreigners.

Heck, most Japanese guys can't even grow a proper beard so they are often jealous of those who can.
Don't worry about it!
I'm a white male with a beard working as a salaryman in the Hakata area in Fukuoka. There are like only a handful foreigners working within this area as a salaryman, which means I should an object of attention, especially because I wear a beard. But then again, nobody stares at me and yeah I would notice that. How come they stare at you?

OK so this is the work in progress plan I have for the trip at the moment, I might be over planning things for myself but I just want to make sure the key things I want to do I don't miss.

Start Date Wednesday 30th of October
Day 1: Fly to Tokyo from Perth, arrive at 22:30, get to hotel before Midnight Hopefully
Day 2: Explore Tokyo, don't set out to do anything in particular other than going to the Squar-Enix cafe, just want to get my bearings.
Day 3: National Museum of Nature and Science in the morning and then check out Akihabara
Day 4: Tama Zoo
Day 5: Nothing Planned
Day 6: Studio Ghibli Museum in Morning and then Inokashira Park in afternoon, go to Ristorante Massa for Dinner (restraunt run by Iron Chef Italian)
Day 7: Nothing Planned
Day 8: Disney
Day 9: Nothing Planned
Day 10: Ueno Zoo and then game shopping in Akihabara in the evening
Day 11: Leave Tokyo for Nagoya, explore Nagoya for awhile and then go to Critical Hit Bar
Day 12: Head to Port of Nagoya and go to Nagoya Aquarium
Day 13: Leave Nagoya for Osaka, go to Osamu Tezuka Museum
Day 14: Travel to Kyoto to see several things there
Day 15: Universal Studios|
Day 16: Osaka Aquarium in the morning, check out Denden Town in the evening.
Day 17: Fly out of Osaka for Singapore for rest of trip (5 days in Singapore and then 7 days in Bali before heading home.)

Got a few free days planned for Tokyo as I'm sure there will be lots of things that I'll find out about while over there to see.

I am bias here but if you are planning to go to singapore zoo or night safari, you should not go to the zoo in Japan. The reviews of my friends who went to both perfers Singapore's but they may also be bias too lol.

I am bias here but if you are planning to go to singapore zoo or night safari, you should not go to the zoo in Japan. The reviews of my friends who went to both perfers Singapore's but they may also be bias too lol.
Yeah gonna do all Zoos in Singapore, always hit the Zoos up everytime I'm in Singapore ^_^

As for the Japan Zoos, they have some animals I've never seen before, Gorillas, African Elephants and Indian Rhinos. Plus I'm a sucker for Zoo and while they won't be as awesome as Singapore's, they are also pretty cheap to go to, the Uneo one is really close to everything and the Inokashira Park one is right next to the Ghibli Museum.

Hey -

I'm headed to Tokyo for the first time on a last minute business trip and tacked on a few days to sightsee. I could really use some help with an itinerary.

I'm staying in Roppongi.

July 7th
Arrive in Tokyo (afternoon)​
July 8th-9th
Working (Free in Evening)​
July 10th-11th
Totally Free​
July 12th
Depart from Osaka​

Trying to figure out which of the following are the best to see:

Tokyo
Shibuya Crossing
Akihabara
Meiji Shrine
Tsukiji Fish Market (worth it?)
Shinjuku

Kyoto
Mount Inari Hike
Suntory Distillery
A few temples (recommendations?)

Totally open to any other recommendations.

Trying to figure out which of the following are the best to see:

Tokyo
Shibuya Crossing
Akihabara
Meiji Shrine
Shinjuku

Kyoto
Mount Inari Hike
Suntory Distillery
A few temples (recommendations?)

Totally open to any other recommendations.

If you're interested in seeing lots of different fish and other sea creatures for sale then Tsukiji Fish Market is worth it. If you're just there to eat sushi, then you could go somewhere else to do that.

Any particular reason you're checking out Shinjuku? It isn't that interesting unless you're there to check out Kabukicho or go Lost in Translation sightseeing.

For temples in Kyoto, check out Kiyomizudera and Kinkakuji if you want to visit the big tourist ones.

hwalker84

If you're interested in seeing lots of different fish and other sea creatures for sale then Tsukiji Fish Market is worth it. If you're just there to eat sushi, then you could go somewhere else to do that.

Any particular reason you're checking out Shinjuku? It isn't that interesting unless you're there to check out Kabukicho or go Lost in Translation sightseeing.

For temples in Kyoto, check out Kiyomizudera and Kinkakuji if you want to visit the big tourist ones.

I echo what Mike said.

Kabukicho if you want to get into some fun trouble.

Kiyomizudera and Kinkakuji are awesome.

Tsukiji Fish Market... I'm glad I did it or it would always be on the list. It was cool but nowhere near as amazing as I thought it would be. You have to be there at like 3am to even get in. By the time you go through you're completely beat tired. I couldn't stay up till 9am when the market actually opens.

Tsukiji Fish Market... I'm glad I did it or it would always be on the list. It was cool but nowhere near as amazing as I thought it would be. You have to be there at like 3am to even get in. By the time you go through you're completely beat tired. I couldn't stay up till 9am when the market actually opens.

That is if you're gonna try checking out the tuna auction of course.

Thriller

Don't worry about it!

Thank you for your answer :)
I'll go to the barber's before I go to Japan next week, make sure I look awesome :p

I'm getting excited now, it's getting closer and closer. Ill leave on the 5th of July and Ill try and post when I have the chance.

Thanks!

What do you think are the must-see's in Tokyo? Kyoto?

I also want to get off the beaten path and maybe check out something a bit more authentic..

I've been putting this off but I want to write my thoughts/results/feedback on my Japan trip, which was 5/28-6/6. I've got a lot to say, so I'll split this up into a few posts over the next few days.

Tips/thoughts for first timers

1. JR Pass, holy shit. It's absolutely worth it for a few reasons. With it, just about all your public transportation needs will be "free." I put free in quotes since you pay for the pass and it seems like a lot up front, but if you're taking the bullet train between cities, it can easily become a better deal. It's also built for visitors. The system forces you to talk to attendants. For the subways, the systems are all automated. You go to a kiosk, pay your fare, then the turnbuckles allow you entry to a platform and also exit, so you can't cheat the fares. With JR Pass, they just wave you in and let you in through the side, you don't even get a ticket. Same thing with exit, so you don't have to worry about how much it costs to go anywhere, it's unlimited during your timeframe. The attendant sometimes speaks english, but usually enough to tell you which platform is which if the signs (with english) don't make it clear enough. You will inevitably have to take some subways that are not JR, though. You'll learn quick, the hardest part for me was knowing which platform to be on but I have this problem in the US as well.

2. I rented a MiFi, again, absolutely worth it. Between google maps, hyperdia, google translate, it made navigation idiot proof. Google translate has this awesome function where you can take a photo of japanese and it translates the photo. So if you're looking at a sign, instructions for something you bought, a menu, or ingredients, google translate to the rescue. I brought an external spare battery and had to use it just once or twice. The MiFi and my phone were working overtime so on the longer days I'd give them a charge while still out.

3. Most places have an english menu with pictures, so you can just point to what you want. If you have food allergies and do not speak Japanese, print it out on a slip of paper in advance and hand it to your wait staff. Use google translate

4. I did not need bugspray, there was an odd lack of insects most places I went. Everything was very clean so I'm sure that adds to it. The only time I applied bugspray was at Fushimi Inari Shrine, which is the one with the wooden gates and is basically a hiking trail up a mountain. I started to get bit so I applied it in the bathroom, I did not see anyone else with bugspray (or sunblock) so I put it on in private.

5. Buy a paper fan first chance, you'll want it in the sun. Also bring a hand towel with you, a lot of the public bathrooms don't supply paper towels or have hand dryers. Most don't stock soap, either. Also use this towel for sweat.

6. Buy a clear umbrella for rainy days. They cost like $3-$4 US and are surprisingly good quality. I took mine home despite them basically being disposable.

I think that's all I have to say for this section. I'll save my experiences and photos for the next post. I'd type it up right now but I think double posts are frowned upon

sCHOCOLATE

Thanks!

I also want to get off the beaten path and maybe check out something a bit more authentic..

For Tokyo:

Makuhari Messe
Nippon Budokan
Skytree
Tokyo Station (Marunouchi section particularly)
Tokyo Big Site

dani_dc

Tokyo
Shibuya Crossing
Akihabara
Meiji Shrine
Shinjuku
That is if you're gonna try checking out the tuna auction of course.

I would skip on the auction, it isn't anything special, you spend a lot more time waiting (From 3 to 6 am) , and since there's no public transportations that means you'll need to stay awake all night, it will basically ruin you an entire day for 15-30 minutes of seeing people screaming.

Zyzyxxz

I would skip on the auction, it isn't anything special, you spend a lot more time waiting (From 3 to 6 am) , and since there's no public transportations that means you'll need to stay awake all night, it will basically ruin you an entire day for 15-30 minutes of seeing people screaming.

Yeah I agree unless you happen to be staying within walking distance or a short cab ride to Tsukiji its really not worth it unless you are a total sushi fan.

The actual market itself is a great experience itself and as long as you arrive before 10AM you can get it in full action.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
1. JR Pass, holy shit. It's absolutely worth it for a few reasons. With it, just about all your public transportation needs will be "free." I put free in quotes since you pay for the pass and it seems like a lot up front, but if you're taking the bullet train between cities, it can easily become a better deal. It's also built for visitors. The system forces you to talk to attendants. For the subways, the systems are all automated. You go to a kiosk, pay your fare, then the turnbuckles allow you entry to a platform and also exit, so you can't cheat the fares. With JR Pass, they just wave you in and let you in through the side, you don't even get a ticket. Same thing with exit, so you don't have to worry about how much it costs to go anywhere, it's unlimited during your timeframe. The attendant sometimes speaks english, but usually enough to tell you which platform is which if the signs (with english) don't make it clear enough. You will inevitably have to take some subways that are not JR, though. You'll learn quick, the hardest part for me was knowing which platform to be on but I have this problem in the US as well.

i always pimp the pass to visitors - one bullet train to Kyoto/Osaka (One way) and you break even. It's an amazing deal.

Thanks!

Well, depends on what you're interested in. Odaiba is pretty fun though, with that giant Gundam statue, the Miraikan science museum, Toyota historic car museum, all the shopping malls and more.

Maybe check out a park or garden? Or one in Kyoto.

And there's the Asakusa Kannon Temple in Tokyo, but since you're going to Kyoto and are going to check out temples there...

In Kyoto, in addition to the temples, you should check out one of the shopping streets like Nishiki and visit Higashiyama or Gion and see the old buildings.

Go to Nara and check out all the deer as well.

Maybe check out the monkey park in Arashiyama?

i always pimp the pass to visitors - one bullet train to Kyoto/Osaka (One way) and you break even. It's an amazing deal.
See the only thing I don't get about the Rail Pass is do I need one for Tokyo? I've had some people say yes and some say no :/ I'm def getting one for the days I spend out of Tokyo but not sure if its going to be needed for the week I am in Tokyo.Its only an extra $180 Australian if I get it for 14 days instead of 7, but if I'm not going to need it at all in Tokyo then its pointless.

JR pass works on JR subway lines in Tokyo also.

It works on JR trains in Tokyo. They don't run the subways.

See the only thing I don't get about the Rail Pass is do I need one for Tokyo? I've had some people say yes and some say no :/ I'm def getting one for the days I spend out of Tokyo but not sure if its going to be needed for the week I am in Tokyo.Its only an extra $180 Australian if I get it for 14 days instead of 7, but if I'm not going to need it at all in Tokyo then its pointless.

The point is that a train trip in central Tokyo will cost about 2-3 AUD on average. You would then have to take trains 60+ times in 7 days for it to pay off. And it only works on the JR trains, so if you're going somewhere that's closer to a subway station then you'd pay extra for that anyway. Not worth it for travel just inside Tokyo.

Just get a pasmo or suica card and use it on both trains and subways. Doesn't matter what company runs it then.

I would say no for the Tokyo only part. It would be convenient but not cost effective. Just going from district to district within Tokyo, for example Harajuku to Akihabara, is like 200 yen 1 way. I don't remember spending more than ~300 yen one way for a subway ride. It'll add up for sure but I highly doubt you'll reach $180 Aus worth of subway rides. It's the bullet trains (city to city) which are pricey. Especially if you're going round trip.

The point is that a train trip in central Tokyo will cost about 2-3 AUD on average. You would then have to take trains 60+ times in 7 days for it to pay off. And it only works on the JR trains, so if you're going somewhere that's closer to a subway station then you'd pay extra for that anyway. Not worth it for travel just inside Tokyo.

Just get a pasmo or suica card and use it on both trains and subways. Doesn't matter what company runs it then.

I would say no for the Tokyo only part. It would be convenient but not cost effective. Just going from district to district within Tokyo, for example Harajuku to Akihabara, is like 200 yen 1 way. I don't remember spending more than ~300 yen one way for a subway ride. It'll add up for sure but I highly doubt you'll reach $180 Aus worth of subway rides. It's the bullet trains (city to city) which are pricey. Especially if you're going round trip.
Yeah thats what I thought, just going to get one for the week outside of Tokyo, should be using the bullet train a fair bit (Tokyo to Nagoya, Nagoya to Osaka, Osaka to Kyoto and back again).

My trip summary. Trip was 5/28 - 6/6

Kyoto

Day 1 -
Himeji Castle - Pretty cool, but the weakest part of my Kyoto area trip. I'm glad we did it first because the other places outshine it. For indoors, they make you take your shoes off to protect the floors. Was quite comfy, walking around felt like a foot massage. The actual interior of the castle doesn't have much to show, it's pretty much "get to the top!" and then that's it. Floors 1 and 2, plus the West Wing which is separate from the main castle, had some exhibits etc to look at

me said:

Kiyomizu Dera - This is the temple in the treetops and is AWESOME. It was so cool to just be there and realize that you're looking down on the trees. It's an uphill walk to get there and there's a bunch of shops along the way, I wish we had allocated more time to visit the shops

me said:

Day 2 -

Nara Park - The deer here are so cute! They can be grabby if you have cookies for them though. It's not like aggressive biting, more like get your attention, but can be a little scary when 3 or more crowd you. Mind any papers you have in your back pocket, one took my wife's JR Pass! Also go to the temple here, it is incredibly badass.

me said:

Osaka Aquarium - Whale shark, yo! Also they have one of those tunnel tanks, where you walk under it. I didn't know that was there and always wanted to see one. Pictures at any aquarium are tricky due to the lighting and glass. I recommend video

Day 3-
Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion) - Pretty cool. a TON of people. Was also very hot the day we went. There's not much to do there besides take photos

me said:

Nishiki Market - Lame. It's mostly local produce and fish, so nothing good for tourists. I was hoping for like pastry shops, meat buns, ramen counter, but I didn't find it here.

Ninja Restaurant Kyoto - Went here for lunch, it was right next to the Nishiki Market. I'd been to Ninja NY before, pretty much the same deal but the prices were not NY prices, lol. Our waitress was the cutest girl ever, she won my vote for favorite Japanese person on the trip. The magician that came by comes in at a close 2nd.

Fushimi Inari Shrine (Red torii gates) - Awesome. Be prepared to hike, even if you stay on the pavement, it's ALL steps up and down. You can go as far as you want but we went to the top, of course. We also went at dusk, it's open 24 hours and is lit at night, so it was much cooler than it was in the day. Also:

this cat is alive and well! and so lovey!
me said:

Tokyo

Day 4 - Travel day, so nothing until evening (stayed in Shinjuku, literally across the street from Capcom Bar)

Capcom Bar - was just OK. The game reenactments from the staff were great but mostly lost on me since my Japanese is minimal. I got a DMC drink and Resident Evil ribs. waiter had to "kill" the ribs with a flamethrower, brought out like a handheld torch and did this whole skit

Robot Restaurant - THE GOAT. If you've been following this thread, surely you've heard this 1000x. It's true, believe the hype. The best way to describe it is music/dance/drama/theater. Also for people who complain that there's not enough actual robots, there are. All the floats are actually controlled by stagehands off to the side. this shit is RC!

Day 5 - This should have been a day of rest. We both crashed in the middle of the day and had to take a nap. Don't forget to schedule a rest day!

Akihabara - I didn't plan what stores to go to, it was "we're here! oh shit, now what?" We started just walking around going into any store that caught our eyes. Too many to do with this method. Also a lot of the stores are very narrow. You can only fit 1 person per aisle and it made it difficult to browse. We left after 4-5 stores. Also STAIRS. God damn, my legs were aching from Fushimi Inari still

Shibuya - Came for the Hachiko statue (it was getting pretty dusty there...) and also to see Shibuya crossing. After that, it was a "now what?" kind of thing so we went clothes shopping nearby then left.

*NAP*

Alice in the Labyrinth restaurant - Dinner. Best food I had the entire trip, most expensive too. This was one of the main things we wanted to do so money was not a concern, we both got everything we wanted. All 10 of the items we got were amazing. Ended up spending 8000 yen for 2 people. Unfortunately we originally wanted to do other themed restaurants like this but nixed it due to the price. Next time...

me said:

Day 6 -
Ghibili Museum - Was great, but not too much to see. A lot of the stuff to read (plaques, art book descriptions) were in Japanese and no English. Went a little crazy in the gift shop

Harajuku attempt 1 - We got here at like 7pm with the Q-Pot cafe in mind, they closed by the time we got there at 7:30 on the dot. A lot of the shops were closing, got Crepes and left

Random sushi joint for dinner - Amazing! I made the mistake of getting rolls which were nothing special. My wife got regular sushi though and it was awesome. we went back the next day. I don't even know if this place is considered good, it was a random pick and I was looking for authenticity

me said:

Day 7 -
"Artnia " Square Enix Cafe - Was cool. Got Cappucinos and unfortunately I could not eat the pancakes (nut allergy, apparently had nuts in it)

me said:

Harajuku round 2 - Went in the afternoon this time. Holy shit, Harajuku was probably the best district for me. Went to the DAISO dollar store here. 4 floors of surprisingly good quality stuff. We honestly spent like $40 there.

Q-Pot Cafe - Amazing! A Prof Layton-esque tea and macaroons shop. Modeled after jewelry that was modeled after candy and snacks.

me said:

Calbee - Potato chip makers. You can buy fresh chips at the store, seriously they were like 2 min out of the frying pan when I was eating them. So good I immediately got back in line for a 2nd order. This is an absolute must do

me said:

Sushi attempt 2 - Same place as before, I got proper sushi this time. Out of habit I dip mine into soy sauce but didn't need it. Different, simpler, than Americanized sushi, but there's room in this world (and in my belly) for both!

Day 8 - Final half day. Flight departed at 5:35pm so we had time for just 1 thing
Gashapon Kaikan - The entire trip I was fiending for Gashapon and would stop at every machine we passed. The night before I found out about this place and wanted to take a 2nd stab at Akihabara, our first time there was a bit of a mess. Some vendors set up an outdoor market and I found a random window selling Onigiri, damn I should have been eating these the entire time! I got Korean BBQ and my wife got Salmon with Salmon Roe.

me said:

Thus ends my Japan trip. Things I missed or found out about afterwards:

Nakano Broadway. This was on my list the entire time but we just did not have a chance to get there. I'm wondering if I should have gone here instead of the 2nd day at Akihabara, they have gashapon there too.

Kit Kat Chocolatory - I was looking for unique Kit Kats the entire time, didn't see any besides Macha. Turns out there's a whole damn shop!

Other Alice restaurants, Vampire restaurant

The thread title could not be any truer. We are already dreaming of revisiting Japan. Thanks to everyone in this thread for helping me make this first trip happen.

Bonus picture!

me said:
My new favorite mug, I got it from the Kiddie Land toy store in Harajuku (also should not be missed). I use this mug every day, I'm a bit paranoid it'll break one day :*(

Great write up :) Getting me more exciting for my next trip in February!

Capcom Bar - was just OK. The game reenactments from the staff were great but mostly lost on me since my Japanese is minimal. I got a DMC drink and Resident Evil ribs. waiter had to "kill" the ribs with a flamethrower, brought out like a handheld torch and did this whole skit

Any idea if you're allowed to take photos/film in here? Would love to use the GoPro to film some of the goof, but only if it's okay to do so! Didn't manage to get to it last time so I'm eager to go.

Nakano Broadway. This was on my list the entire time but we just did not have a chance to get there. I'm wondering if I should have gone here instead of the 2nd day at Akihabara, they have gashapon there too.

If you were there mainly for gashapon, you went to the right place. Gashapon Kaikan is king. Broadway has a lot of stores that sell individual prizes from gashapon, but nothing that Akiba doesn't also have in that regard. I like Nakano Broadway a lot, but it's mainly for anime merch you couldn't find in Akiba and a few video game stores.

Kit Kat Chocolatory - I was looking for unique Kit Kats the entire time, didn't see any besides Macha. Turns out there's a whole damn shop!
I just started looking into this, its right next to Ikebukero station which is like 5 mins from my hotel, oh boy am I gonna stock up ^_^

Awesome write up ^-^

Only 3 months, 1 day 11 hours and 45 mins till I fly to Japan, not that I'm counting or anything :p

I just started looking into this, its right next to Ikebukero station which is like 5 mins from my hotel, oh boy am I gonna stock up ^_^

If you really want Kit Kats, you should check out Shokoku Gotochi, which is in Tokyo Station. The Chocolatory only tends to have a small handful of varieties (though admittedly, these can be unique to the Chocolatory). Also, when in doubt, check a Don Quijote :p

223 days until trip number four. Also not counting.

Thanks, guys!

Regarding chocolate, you might like this as well:

KnPVMWe.jpg

I bought one for the flight home. It was amazing! I would have bought 10 if I had tried it before leaving.

Any idea if you're allowed to take photos/film in here? Would love to use the GoPro to film some of the goof, but only if it's okay to do so! Didn't manage to get to it last time so I'm eager to go.

I took photos and it was fine. Of food and the restaurant, not the employees in action though. I think this would be fine, you could always just ask. Before my trip, I used google translate and printed out how to say several things in Japanese. Only ended up using a handful of them but "am I allowed to take pictures or video" might be a good one to ask the staff.

kubus

Actually I went to Capcom Bar yesterday and if I'm not mistaken they said photos are ok but video not. Not 100% sure though.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

Awesome write up ^-^

Only 3 months, 1 day 11 hours and 45 mins till I fly to Japan, not that I'm counting or anything :p

I can take a photo today on my way home and show what editions have.

I pass by like 2-3 times per week.

Darksol

Bought my ticket. I head back to Japan February 1st. Except this time, I don't intend on leaving. I'm there at least a year -- hopefully more :)

I took photos and it was fine. Of food and the restaurant, not the employees in action though. I think this would be fine, you could always just ask. Before my trip, I used google translate and printed out how to say several things in Japanese. Only ended up using a handful of them but "am I allowed to take pictures or video" might be a good one to ask the staff.

Actually I went to Capcom Bar yesterday and if I'm not mistaken they said photos are ok but video not. Not 100% sure though.

Thanks both :) I think I'll ask at the time as I'd love some footage for another dumb Japan video, but I'll be happy with photos.

Should be booking the trip tonight, excited!

I went about a month ago, it was only photos

Thanks for the confirmation :)

sfedai0

Banned
Heading there in early Feb. Still debating whether to visit Fukuoka or not. Ill be hitting up Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, and Tokyo though.

Hey guys, me and my boyfriend are starting to plan a trip to Japan (not been for 4 years and i miss it)

SO my question is - would we be ok booking a room for 2 adults and arriving and staying as a gay couple? I am unsure if that would be frowned upon or not.

hwalker84

Hey guys, me and my boyfriend are starting to plan a trip to Japan (not been for 4 years and i miss it)

SO my question is - would we be ok booking a room for 2 adults and arriving and staying as a gay couple? I am unsure if that would be frowned upon or not.

Why would that be an issue?

Top Bottom