• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

dani_dc

Because of a human error in typing my credit card number when I wrote it in the google docs form to apply for the Magical Mirai 2015 presale lottery they offered me to buy 2 tickets for the september 4th performance:

CsIlqs6.gif

So that's one of my ToDo tasks while in Tokyo, so please spare my life for being too lucky! (^_^;)
6gKZuef.gif

(I actually went to the Magical Mirai 2014 in Osaka, daytime performance too) (^_^;)

Jealous!

It was one of the things I wanted to do while in Japan, but since I'm not sure I'll be here at the date I didn't even apply for the tickets.

Maybe next year. Hope you have a good time.

Zoe

WTF, the flights I was looking at have jumped up by several hundred dollars. I don't think it's from them getting filled cause the rates were all approximately the same for the whole month.

Hope it goes back down during business hours :\

kubus

WTF, the flights I was looking at have jumped up by several hundred dollars. I don't think it's from them getting filled cause the rates were all approximately the same for the whole month.

Have you cleared your cookies?

Apparently ticket booking sites use cookies to check if you've been eyeing ticket prices and then raise the prices. Not sure if it's true but people kept warning me about this when I booked my tickets (and hotels).

Zoe

Have you cleared your cookies?

Apparently ticket booking sites use cookies to check if you've been eyeing ticket prices and then raise the prices. Not sure if it's true but people kept warning me about this when I booked my tickets (and hotels).

Tried different devices and mobile network instead of home. Prices are now over $1000 more than yesterday :(

Hm... When are you going?

Because of a human error in typing my credit card number when I wrote it in the google docs form to apply for the Magical Mirai 2015 presale lottery they offered me to buy 2 tickets for the september 4th performance:

CsIlqs6.gif

So that's one of my ToDo tasks while in Tokyo, so please spare my life for being too lucky! (^_^;)
6gKZuef.gif

(I actually went to the Magical Mirai 2014 in Osaka, daytime performance too) (^_^;)

LOL, damn. You have something I really, really want.

I totally missed the deadline since I was busy with work back in May/June.

Question, though. Is it fine to buy from scalpers? I know it's illegal and they arrest people who sell on the spot. But do they check your identity upon entering or using a ticket that doesn't have your name (I think the ticket does)?

I still need to know how to do that yahoo auction thing on konbini.

inafking

LOL, damn. You have something I really, really want.

I totally missed the deadline since I was busy with work back in May/June.

Question, though. Is it fine to buy from scalpers? I know it's illegal and they arrest people who sell on the spot. But do they check your identity upon entering or using a ticket that doesn't have your name (I think the ticket does)?

I still need to know how to do that yahoo auction thing on konbini.

From my experience, the ticket doesn't have any information about the holder. Anyone can enter the venue with that ticket. (You can see mine from the past Magical Mirai for comparison in my post or here)

About scalpers I don't know if that can be done a "litttle more legal" by buying on the japanese ebay site or rakuten. It can be risky since they can sell you a knock-off ticket or worst yet not receive anything if you buy from a online auction site.

I've heard that there are self-service kiosks at konbini's in Japan that sell tickets, but they're gone within minutes.

If you're gonna do the online auction way, be sure the seller has a really good reputation and that they sell physical tickets, because from what I know for example e-bay doesn't refund payments of electronic documents (e-tickets, console codes, etc.). At least you can fill a dispute to have a refund if everything fails.

From my experience, the ticket doesn't have any information about the holder. Anyone can enter the venue with that ticket. (You can see mine from the past Magical Mirai for comparison in my post or here)

About scalpers I don't know if that can be done a "litttle more legal" by buying on the japanese ebay site or rakuten. It can be risky since they can sell you a knock-off ticket or worst yet not receive anything if you buy from a online auction site.

I've heard that there are self-service kiosks at konbini's in Japan that sell tickets, but they're gone within minutes.

If you're gonna do the online auction way, be sure the seller has a really good reputation and that they sell physical tickets, because from what I know for example e-bay doesn't refund payments of electronic documents (e-tickets, console codes, etc.). At least you can fill a dispute to have a refund if everything fails.

Thanks for the tips.

Well, what the heck. I was looking at the website before and I saw those "play guides" early sales. I didn't know "play guides" meant ticketing agency. That's gotta be thrown in the basket of "Worst WaseiEigo Ever". There's still the Circle K one left, and there's one near work, so I guess I should try that first.

Also, I can't find eBay Japan. Well, there is one that only seems manage if you're a seller, but the "buying part" links to another side instead. Is that what you're referring to?

Zoe

Welp, the flights inexplicably dropped again a couple of hours ago, and this time they were $100 cheaper. Don't think we can do much better than $700 during the holidays!

Thriller

Hey guys, I'll leave for Japan on the 5th of July and I wanted to ask if I can put a picasa link here for you to see my pictures.

And : where in Picasa can I find the link to the Japan Album so that everyone can see it?

You people and your itineraries. When I went last year I had three things scheduled, everything else was just winging it. For October Mike seems to have the week in Tokyo decently planned out but my second week in Kansai has nothing scheduled. Just gonna wander around, get lost, and see what I find. Speaking of which, I still have to book a place to stay for that.

You people and your itineraries. When I went last year I had three things scheduled, everything else was just winging it. For October Mike seems to have the week in Tokyo decently planned out but my second week in Kansai has nothing scheduled. Just gonna wander around, get lost, and see what I find. Speaking of which, I still have to book a place to stay for that.

Hey, I got some flexibility in my plans, just in case ;P

For me I find I work best when I have a schedule to stick to, I do have a few free days lined up in Tokyo to do whatever/rest but there is soo much I want to do over there I'll be worried if I didn't have a schedule I wouldn't get some of it done. I did something similar when I traveled to Bali/Singapore last year and it worked out great for me, got pretty much everything I wanted to see done plus a few extra things I didn't even know about.

Thriller

My dad and I are on our way, if I get the picasa album a bit filled up Ill share it with you guys.

We are waiting on our connecting flight at Munich airport but the wait is long.

I also hope that Tokyo/Japan is worth it when it's raining!

Zoe

Seriously considering Airbnb this time around. There are a few places near Sensouji that seem pretty damn reasonable.

Never done Airbnb before though, are rates static or do they fluctuate with time?

Dandte

Seriously considering Airbnb this time around. There are a few places near Sensouji that seem pretty damn reasonable.

Never done Airbnb before though, are rates static or do they fluctuate with time?

i booked a few apartments in japan. For Osaka, Hiroshima, Fukuoka i'm paying around 25 Euro per night, all close to the central station or main subway lines. So far every host is super friendly and trying his bests to give me enough informations so i can find his place and explore his city. I hope it is as good when i arrive^^ The rate sometimes seem to fluctuate. On sunday an apartment was listed for 350 euro for 5 nights and the next day for 400 euro. Sometimes you pay differents fees for weekday and weekend, but thats normal.
Do you wanna get promoted and get a 23 euro credit?

Which ones are you looking at? I know some of the ones in Asakusa can be gotten cheaper other places.

Zoe

Which ones are you looking at? I know some of the ones in Asakusa can be gotten cheaper other places.
You mean on a different service?

We're not looking at specifics yet since we're not sure which days we'll spend in Tokyo. The main goal though is to be near Sensouji on the 31st.

Zyzyxxz

If price is a concern I think it's worth looking into. IMO some places I stayed at for AirBnB were more comfortable than a hotel and cheaper. Because of the recent boom in tourism hotels have been booked far in advanced and supply hasn't caught up to meet demand so that's why you see AirBnB thriving in places like Tokyo.

sfedai0

Banned
Ill be using only AirBnB for my trip. Far more economical than staying at a western hotel, with far more privacy and amenities.

Any favorite places to eat or meet people in Osaka?
I to am keen to know of good places for this in Osaka?

So going through the list of things I'm needing to pre book before I go over, do I book my Disney & Universal tickets before I go there or am I going to be fine to just rock up early on the day and get in? Is there any advantage at all to pre booking them?

So going through the list of things I'm needing to pre book before I go over, do I book my Disney & Universal tickets before I go there or am I going to be fine to just rock up early on the day and get in? Is there any advantage at all to pre booking them?

If you buy them online, you don't have to wait in line to buy tickets, only wait in line to get in :p

If you're thinking about getting an Express Pass at Universal, then you should definitively buy tickets online since they can sell out.

Jothel

What credit cards have people had success getting here? I applied for an Amazon one but they denied me. I just applied for an Aaron one and a Rakuten one too...

StMeph

No advice as I've not been, but I found the documentary fascinating. Would love to hear how you get on once you've been. :)

The Roppongi location isn't the original. That one is helmed by his second son, Takashi, who appears briefly in the film. It's supposed to be a little more relaxed where Jiro proper apparently rushes through the meal. 30-60 minutes for omakase at 15-20 pieces is a really fast pace.

I imagine the quality is probably not quite as high as other similarly-priced sushi options (Sawada, Yoshitake) owing to the movie's popularity boosting demand and interest above what it would otherwise command. But it's still a 2* place, and, I'm sure, no slouch.

Cagey

Banned
After rewatching Bourdain visit Tokyo, would Sushi Bar Yasuda (far friendlier budget-wise) be significantly worse than the expensive high-end sushi joints to someone without a sophisticated palette?

StMeph

After rewatching Bourdain visit Tokyo, would Sushi Bar Yasuda (far friendlier budget-wise) be significantly worse than the expensive high-end sushi joints to someone without a sophisticated palette?

Yasuda was extremely well-regarded in New York City before returning to Tokyo recently, so I imagine it's still pretty good. He is also supposed to be much more expat/English-friendly.

Thriller

Nice! Where was that night market? Tokyo?

Also, I too was thinking about going to Yasuda, since hes english proficient and the omakase prices are very reasonable.

Yeah the night market was near Iriya, a really nice way to start our holiday!
Today we went to mount takao and it was really amazing!

inafking

Yeah the night market was near Iriya, a really nice way to start our holiday!
Today we went to mount takao and it was really amazing!

I see you went to Sensoji Temple, akihabara, Tokyo Skytree and Tsukiji fish market.

Did you go to the Tsukiji Market tuna fish auction? I had to go there at 00:00 just before the subway closed and wait for almost 6 hours to see that. At 00:30 there was already 100 people waiting to see the auction (I was scheduled for the 2nd group). They allow a maximum of 120 people.

Top Bottom