• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

RM8

I still need to find one of her songs I like. I feel like it's deliberately too tame and it clashes with her crazy looks.

Zoe

Speaking of Kyary, her Kohaku outfit lived up to her promise

a9izuz.gif

Guess she didn't learn from Koda Kumi when she tried to do a quick costume change with sleeves :lol

faridmon

You have a funny definition of "idol."

Faux-idol group, then. Better?

The Mirraz Just announced a new album scheduled to be released at 13th of Feb and will include all the singles that have been released so far (Thanks god I haven't spoiled myself this time around) and the last song is titles ''Fuck you very much''

The Mirraz are back Baby!!!! HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faux-idol group, then. Better?

Their lead singer being from an idol group is the only connection that they have from that world. And he was only in that group for a year. The actual band was started because some high school friends wanted to start a band. Taka (the leader singer) was one of the last additions to the band.

In general idol groups are creations. Whether that be through a competition or a company setting out to find a group or singer with a very specific look and image. Most pop groups and singers that you see are idols. It doesn't matter if they're from the US, UK, Japan or Korea. They're almost all created with a factory-like mentality.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Guess she didn't learn from Koda Kumi when she tried to do a quick costume change with sleeves :lol
Mic's fault, just like Momokuro during Seibu Dome concert, their mic's got stuck in the sleeves, even though they were wide enough.

faridmon

Their lead singer being from an idol group is the only connection that they have from that world. And he was only in that group for a year. The actual band was started because some high school friends wanted to start a band. Taka (the leader singer) was one of the last additions to the band.

In general idol groups are creations. Whether that be through a competition or a company setting out to find a group or singer with a very specific look and image. Most pop groups and singers that you see are idols. It doesn't matter if they're from the US, UK, Japan or Korea. They're almost all created with a factory-like mentality.

Fair enough. However, I did hear that they do have some status with in the female demography which other band don't just because of that connection.

faridmon

Speaking of which, anyone have listened to THEATRE BROOK? I am just listening to thier best collection and its a bit too funk for me and not in groovy way. But I'll keep listening to it hoping that it would grow on me.

And Q&A by Owarikara is awesome and one of the best Album of 2012.

faridmon

I don't like it at all. Auto Tune destroys another band.

I think Niche Syndrome might be the last great Album by them. I am done!

Kurita

Meh, his voice is not that auto tuned and the instrumental part is really solid.
I though Zankyo Reference was the most polished album of the band, might one of my favorites by the band actually, the others being Beam Of Light and Niche Syndrome.

faridmon

Zenky Reference was very mellow and went felt like they were heading to a different direction. \yes, there were couple of solid songs, but there were a lot fillers in that Album. Pierce is such a shit song. While half of that Album is just weak, instrumental wise.

Deeper and Deepe have a lot Deftone influence which I don't like. I suppose different strokes for different people I guess.

faridmon

Going through my Collection of Lilliea and Remains , The Mirraz and BIGMAMA

Soo good!

However, it is funny how different the first album of BIGMAMA compared to their latest one.

Kurita

It will be used as an opening for Crayon Shin Chan by the way.
I like it.

EDIT : Huh, I just know the price for Paris and for her live in Belgium, which is 35 euros.

Infinite

It will be used as an opening for Crayon Shin Chan by the way.
I like it.

EDIT : Huh, I just know the price for Paris and for her live in Belgium, which is 35 euros.

When is the paris showing? I'm in NYC and that one is all the way in April so the tickets may go on sale later.

Kurita

Short version of the new The Mirraz PV. Pretty cool.

ONE OK ROCK's latest single is really good, better than The Beginning (Ketsuraku Automation was amazing tho). Can't wait for their new album, I hope they'll release one this year. I'm sure they'll release one.

Infinite

New single from my favorite artist Luminous Orange titled Tigerlily Mixolydian came out fairly recently. I love her music so much and you guys should definitely check this and her older material out.

Single Jacker. Amazing art as always
Tigerlily-art-small.jpg

faridmon

The Mirraz and Luminous Orange release in a single day. I can't handle all this awesomness.

Will wait for the Album release, don't like singles

Infinite

The Mirraz and Luminous Orange release in a single day. I can't handle all this awesomness.

Will wait for the Album release, don't like singles

Haha it may take away but Luminous Orange was uploading some new demos to their soundcloud over the summer so an album might be here sooner than later from them.

Kurita

Don't really know what to think about the new Perfume...
Will wait for the full song but so far I'm not that hyped. It's still decent.

I've been listening to some "oldies" lately like The Yellow Monkey and The Blue Hearts. No wonder why they were so popular, they are awesome.

Barairo No Hibi might be one of the greatest japanese songs ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbvlx2S5gLs
And so is Linda Linda.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUab1kM2Rmc

Also... God damn, Suneohair is also a wonderful artist.
Can't stop listening to Pinto. This song is just so... I dunno. It's perfect!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdLuuMF_aTA

faridmon

Haha it may take away but Luminous Orange was uploading some new demos to their soundcloud over the summer so an album might be here sooner than later from them.

Can't Wait.

Speaking of Shoegazing, Has anyone listened to the latest Cryuff in thn Bedroom release. It was amazing and definitely in my top 10 album of the year.

More shoegazing, Japan, please.

Kurita

Oh, yeah, my top 10 CDs of 2012 (in no particular order) :

Nothing’s Carved In Stone - Silver Sun
The SALOVERS - Chin Bung Kan Bung
Arukara - Drama
Galileo Galilei - Portal
androp - one and zero
Kinoko Teikoku - Uzu ni Naru
Miyavi - SAMURAI SESSIONS vol.1
BIGMAMA - Kimi ga Mata Blouse no Button wo Tomeru made
[Champagne] - Schwarzenegger
killing Boy - Destroying Beauty

faridmon

The only ones I have listened to are BIGMAMA and Killing Boy ones, and yeah those two are quality.

Androp's one is still coming *sigh*

Infinite

My top ten albums are

Dormir - Petit March
Favorite Songs(s): Une Mage Blanche

Hinto - She See Sea
Favorite Songs(s): トキメキドライ

Zazen Boys - Stories
Favorite Songs(s): Tengu

Skirt no Naka - Chikotan
Favorite Songs(s): 逆立ち女

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Pamyu Revolution
Favorite Songs(s): Drinker

Kaela Kimura - Sync
Favorite Songs(s): Wonder Vault

Miila and the Geeks - New Age
Favorite Songs(s): Want

Susquatch - Toy Box Brain
Favorite Songs(s): Wondering

My Dear Dead Girlfriend - Underdrawing for Three Forms of Unhappiness at the State of Existence
Favorite Songs(s): Nasty Mayor's Daughter

People in the Box - Ave Materia
Favorite Songs(s): 球体

Honorable Mentions: Lama, Androp

Infinite

Can't Wait.

Speaking of Shoegazing, Has anyone listened to the latest Cryuff in thn Bedroom release. It was amazing and definitely in my top 10 album of the year.

More shoegazing, Japan, please.

Yo you should totally check out My Dear Dead Girlfriend's - Underdrawing for Three Forms of Unhappiness at the State of Existence for that shoegaze fix

faridmon

Yo you should totally check out My Dear Dead Girlfriend's - Underdrawing for Three Forms of Unhappiness at the State of Existence for that shoegaze fix

Yeah, I have heard great things about this band. I will definitely check them out, Speaking of Shoegaze, I'll do Introduction to this band (Perhaps you have heard of them, but I'll do the introduction nevertheless.

Heavenstamp

1213-a.jpg

What happens when you combine a heavy guitar driven New-wave music with Shoegazing? Well this band Just shows how you can combine those two genres that seem to be on the opposite end of tempo and technique. Shoegazing have been having a great revival for the past decade. Since its sudden demise, for being ''pretentious'',''Boring'' and ''unimaginative'', in spite of great releases from My bloody Valantine, Lush and The Jesus and Mary Chain, The underground scene have been attached to its technique and start to fuse with genres, Like Supercar with Electronica, COLD KITCHEN with Alternative, Lillies and Remains with Post Punk, and now you have it combined with New-wave.

So Who are Heavenstamp? Well for over a year, they have been hyped up to be the next band that could very well have an impact on the indie scene in Japan as well as break into the international scene. It started as a side project of the very own Russel Lissack of Bloc Party's fame. Russel is a well known Japanophile and having been heavily interested into Animes such Evangelion, he started to wonder about working with minor Japanese underground Music scene. This band is one of them and he contributed to the guitar play of their first EP ''Hype'' as well as producing many remixes for all of the other EPs as well.

Thier music is cross between the riff of The white Stripes, with Electronica of LCD Soundsystem drenched in Shoegaze of Ringo Deathstarr. Echo Guitar sounds and slick production gives this band an edge over other bands as well as the groove of their songs.
Some of thier other songs have some psychedelic feel of the 70s while other have just the wall of sound the shoegaze is known for.

They have been active as well. They have released a whopping 4 EPs in a year and just when we thought they are one of those bands, they release album last year (Self-titled) which had a whopping 15 songs. Although they have released 7 PVs (a whopping 7, WTF?), the Album have still meat to it, since the songs are varied and somehow addictive. Even though I have been listening to some of their EPs for so long, their Album remains one of the best releases last year. During that process, their Count have shrunk from 4 to 3, but, they still crank music so no fear. Head to their official website for some info about them and their album is Itunes (the american and the English)

Some of their songs:

Hype - Stand by you - 80KIDZ remix - Waterfall - Decadance - Dreaming about You

faridmon

I'll post my top 10 after I recieev my long overdue Androp's One and Zero. But I can definitely Confirm that my Number 1 album of the year is '' Underrated'' by Lillies and Remains, Sekaitekinaband and PURPLE. Amazing and mind blowing album.

Infinite

Those are great picks, too. Ave Materia might be my favorite album by the band so far.

It's funny because my expectations were not very high but this album completely set me straight.

Heavenstamp is pretty cool. I found out about them because their producer's wife teaches graphic design at my college.

I'll post my top 10 after I recieev my long overdue Androp's One and Zero. But I can definitely Confirm that my Number 1 album of the year is '' Underrated'' by Lillies and Remains, Sekaitekinaband and PURPLE. Amazing and mind blowing album.

I never heard of Sekaitekinaband prior to this post. They're pretty cool!

I'll check that whole album out though

faridmon

I never heard of Sekaitekinaband prior to this post. They're pretty cool!

They are great. I wanted to get their Album, but I don't have any more money to spend on Music. They came to London a(Touring with Bo nIngen) and I got to talk to them for a while. Seem like a coool bunch and they do tours regularly with Lillies and Remains a as well they have the same producer and promoter. They have similar style (Post-Punk, Gothic Rock) but they have this zist of Punk in their music which adds to the atmosphere

And guess what, their main vocalist is the Drummer. How freaking cool is that?
You should get their release if you can, I have this joint album and their songs are fantastic (as the whole album)

Heavenstamp is pretty cool. I found out about them because their producer's wife teaches graphic design at my college.
That's awesome. You should ask her if she can arrange a meeting.

By the way, That HINTO song is great and the video is even better. Another band I have to check

moulels

I meant their indie vintage days * . * back in 03
Before Yasutaka Nakata * . *

BLESS I wish I was that hardcore I only use like two songs pre-Nakata lol, but it's so inspiring to see where they have come from and how much they have accomplished.

Since people are bringing up Perfume, they definitely had the best Kohaku performance

az0upt.gif

Lawd their sync is so perfect *o* they truly were the best.

Top Bottom