• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Jintor

say hi

I was just reminded that maybe about 4 or 5 years I was super into DOLL $ BOXX

After browsing a bit on Youtube cos i'm too lazy to dig out the album i actually have I've decided I still am into Doll$boxx, just the only song I actually remember is Lost My Chance and that's mainly because of the music video.

They're one of those weird bands where I love their style and sound and overall aesthetic, but I just can't ever remember any of their individual songs because they all blend together into one big power metal mishmash.

Jintor

went to a charisma. com show last night and it was so so good, wow. I've only heard a couple of their CDs but my opinion of them went way up after last night. great performance.

if i can get to a third charisma dot com live show in my lifetime i will be well satisfied

Kurita

Came back from the 3rd day of Viva la Rock.
What an amazing festival that was, I don't regret getting a 3 days ticket, each day was a ton of fun. Quick list of who I saw.

Day 1
-Started with 04 Limited Sazabys, amazing as usual.
-Arukara, who announced the release of their first full album (finally lol)
-go!go!vanillas
-THE ORAL CIGARETTES, they played their new song ONE'S AGAIN which is just breathtaking live.
-KEYTALK, didn't disappoint. Been waiting years to see them and it was one of the most fun sets I've ever seen. Starting the moshpit during Yurameki Summer was great lol
-Frederic, always damn fun
-CreepHyp, same as KEYTALK, wanted to see them for a long time and they delivered. Okazaki is so charismatic.
-SiM. Went to their one man two months ago, still incredible. Fell during Faster Than The Clock since we ran in a circle with like 500 people, my knee was bleeding hahaha Still can hardly bend my leg two days later lol
-KANA-BOON to end the day, not much to say, they're the best.

Day 2
-Kyuso Nekokami to start the day. Kyuso live is guaranteed to be crazy.
-mol-74, which is one my new favorite bands. Got into them like a few days ago (I checked their stuff a long time ago), cried during the first song hahaha (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTjiTJm7jjg)
-SPECIAL OTHERS
-Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, danced with random people (my friends were already kinda drunk and half asleep lol), super fun
-SKY-HI
-DADARAY (had to leave SKY-HI early to see them unfortunately), they played two new songs, great stuff
-Cero, just two/three songs
-Suchmos, fucking incredible. Their stage presence is on point, Yonce is hawt.
-Sakanaction, didn't expect to dance that much during their set but when you know, when you had a couple of beers... Went nuts when they did Identity.
-UNISON SQUARE GARDEN, also a blast

Day 3
Honestly, the day that had the least artists I like so heh
-Yabai T-Shirts Ya San, just like Kyuso you're in for a great time with them. Crowd was insane, I thought I was going to fall on my ass again lol
-My Hair is Bad, goddamn what a powerful band. The vocalist is one of my idols.
-HEY-SMITH, great punk/ska to move your body
-ACIDMAN, sat down during their set cause I was tired after 3 days of dancing lol Great stuff as expected from them
-10-FEET, same as above, they're amazing. Left early though cause MONOEYES were on the other stage right after.
-MONOEYES. Well, it's Hosomi Takeshi, enough said.
-Ken Yokoyama, living legend. Charismatic mofo.
-UVERworld, I don't listen to them a lot but still fun. Crowd was super into it, I lost my shit during Impact though, cause that's an amazing live tune.
-BIGMAMA to end the day. They mostly played songs from their new album which is fine by me cause it's a great one. Until The Blouse is Buttoned Up as the encore, yeeeeeeeeeees.

Aaaaand I took a picture with Ishige Akira from the telephones/lovefilm today LOL so it was worth it.

Been listening to a lot of Kyuso Nekokami and HaKU lately. They're instrumentals tracks are great. Current favorites are ネコ踊る by Kyuso Nekokami and carpe diem by HaKU. They get my head bopping.

I'm very jealous of you Kurita!!! That sounds like it was a blast!

Lari

Can't wait for LiSA's new album "LiTTLE DEViL PARADE" which comes out on the 24th.

Which lines up with my birthday thanks to timezone difference.

300px-LiSA_-_LiTTLE_DEViL_PARADE_lim_BD.jpg

Kurita

Been listening to a lot of Kyuso Nekokami and HaKU lately. They're instrumentals tracks are great. Current favorites are ネコ踊る by Kyuso Nekokami and carpe diem by HaKU. They get my head bopping.

I'm very jealous of you Kurita!!! That sounds like it was a blast!

Hah, that's unexpected.
Even as a huge fan I think Kyuso's early works can be pretty rough haha That being said, DQNなりたい、40代で死にたい is one their best live tunes. Always a huge mosh for the last chorus haha

A few cool pics from the festival (from the website http://vivalarock.jp/2017/report/index.html)

Hah, that's unexpected.
Even as a huge fan I think Kyuso's early works can be pretty rough haha That being said, DQNなりたい、40代で死にたい is one their best live tunes. Always a huge mosh for the last chorus haha

Lol! Yeah some of they're beginning stuff can be! I don't know though, I really enjoy it!

So they're allowing international fans to apply for Namie Amuro's 25th anniversary live in Okinawa!!!
Namie Amuro 25th Anniversary Live
I applied for Saturday, hope I win tickets!

ハッピーくるくる - くるくるファンタジー(MV)
Old song but first MV from this Yunomi-produced group.

私立恵比寿中学 『感情電車』Music Video (proxy link)
It's not my place to judge how others deal with tragedy but it feels kind of weird seeing such a happy video just a couple months after one of them died. I really like the song though and the lyrics seem important.

MONDO GROSSO / ラビリンス(Lyric Video)
Might have missed it but I don't think anyone mentioned the return of MONDO GROSSO after 14 years (or at least the return of Shinichi Osawa using that name). Very excited about this album.

私立恵比寿中学 『感情電車』Music Video (proxy link)
It's not my place to judge how others deal with tragedy but it feels kind of weird seeing such a happy video just a couple months after one of them died. I really like the song though and the lyrics seem important.

I was really disappointed when I saw that the other day. even if there was the tiniest nod to her at any point...

Aizo

Banned
Kurita or somebody have experience buying tickets through e+? Can't get through registration, perhaps due to the fact that I don't have a house phone or cell e-mail. Pretty annoying. I don't really want to chance buying the ticket on the day of.

Aizo

Banned
can't get them at a Lawson's or anything?
This one, no :/ Different artists have different deals with different ticket sellers. Pretty annoying. Give me that Lcode every time! Oh well. At least if I fail going to this show, I'm going to see wrestling next weekend. That kinda makes up for it?

Kurita

Kurita or somebody have experience buying tickets through e+? Can't get through registration, perhaps due to the fact that I don't have a house phone or cell e-mail. Pretty annoying. I don't really want to chance buying the ticket on the day of.
You can just use a fake number

PillarEN

Etsuko Yakushimaru - “I’m Humanity” (Genetic Video) / Ars Electronica STARTS Prize 2017 Grand Prize

"I’m Humanity" became the first song in human history to be released in the three formats digital music distribution, CD, and genetically-modified microorganism.
https://starts-prize.aec.at/en/im-humanity/

this sure is a whole thing. pretty rad.

This is just freaking awesome. So mellow even though it's got a kick and snare combo going on. Obviously it's all in the production to make it sound less loud or in your face. Still, I'm really impressed.

llehuty

Oh, didn't know this FAMM'IN unit was still a thing

FAMM'IN "animus"

Released back in March, but it just showed up on my youtube recommendations tab. It has some nice passages, but pales against Circle's atmosphere.

MONDO GROSSO / ラビリンス(Lyric Video)
Might have missed it but I don't think anyone mentioned the return of MONDO GROSSO after 14 years (or at least the return of Shinichi Osawa using that name). Very excited about this album.
Ah, totally missed this, good stuff. I have to check the album. Edit: Oh, it's just a single? :(

Slowdive

Banned
Boris - Absolutego

New album out July 14th
This was going to be the last Boris album. After nearly three decades, the Japanese trio wasn't sure they had anything left to express. Boris' impact on practically every heavy musical vein — metal, shoegaze, punk, noise and drone — has well-secured the band's legacy. But, after last year's tour performing the game-changing Pink in its entirety, Boris was re-energized. The result is Dear, 10 tracks culled from three albums worth of material.

"At the very first moment, this album began as some kind of potential farewell note of Boris," the band writes in a press release. "However, it became a sincere letter to fans and listeners... you know, like 'Dear so-and-so, this is the new album from Boris' or something like that. We feel so grateful we can release this album in our 25th anniversary year."

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsong...-by-cleaving-the-earth-in-two-with-absolutego

squall23

How did I not find out Ikimonogakari disbanded back in January until now?!

FUCK! DAMN IT!

I'll still wish all 3 of them luck on wherever they end up but wow am I sad. I'll definitely follow Kiyoe's solo career if that happens. I've adored her voice since I first listened to them.

I am pretty unhappy to not have the money to see Boris next week. On the other hand I have seen them 4 times already and not a lot could top Flood live.

Looking forward to the new album.

PillarEN

Man I'm still pretty lukewarm on Tricot, but on the other hand I want to support Japanese music when it comes to the country because the Czech Republic generally always misses out on those artists. What to do what to do?

Top Bottom