• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Yasawas

I know you asked forever ago, but in light of recent... uh... developments, I thought it might be relevant. I actually wrote Waterfield today, and the reply back just now was that they actually imported the new 3DS XL from Australia to test with, and that it fits just fine!

Hey, thanks!

My findings were different though as I did buy one and have since sold it as there was no leeway in it at all above the size of the old XL... I think Gary from WaterField will just say whatever it takes to make a sale to be honest, not impressed in my dealings with them.

Doombear

Hey, thanks!

My findings were different though as I did buy one and have since sold it as there was no leeway in it at all above the size of the old XL... I think Gary from WaterField will just say whatever it takes to make a sale to be honest, not impressed in my dealings with them.

But it was Ken! =P Well that sucks. Now I kind of remember you saying something about that, if not in this topic then in another? I may have replied (or meant to) that my Vita case has 'loosened up' noticeably since getting it. I wonder if that wouldn't be the case for the XL... bah.

kubus

So amazon.co.jp still hasn't opened pre-orders for the MM3D New XL right?

Also, any word on if Japan is getting a LE of the game?

kubus

Soooo I was updating the Spreadsheet and it seems I've reached the limit of GoogleFinance functions as apparently you're only allowed 1000 :(. So I won't be able to add any more numbers to the sheet now. It's completely locked down.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to split the face plates part (which is most popular now anyway) and the systems/charging stations part to make room for more conversions. Ughhh so annoying :p.

edit: whoops double post. Sorry

DoctorZ

Can anyone recommend accessories that they have and like for the N3DS, not the XL. I had thought that once I import the N3DS i could then buy US accessories once its released here, but that plan has obviously changed. I want to order everything at once to save on shipping. I will be ordering from amazon japan so preferably from there, but I think tenso kets you consolidate packages if I order it from another site. Ill probably get one faceplate, girlfriend likes the poogie or whatever no. 38 is. Not a big monster hunter fan so I'm not sure what it is.

I glanced through the thread searching for "case" and such, but if anyone has any specific recommendations it would help.

I apologize as I'm sure this has been asked before, but does the New 3ds Xl work with the same charging cradle as the original 3ds xl? I know xl charging cradles are (or at least were) kind of rare, but I want to make sure that if I got one it would be compatible.

DoctorZ

I apologize as I'm sure this has been asked before, but does the New 3ds Xl work with the same charging cradle as the original 3ds xl? I know xl charging cradles are (or at least were) kind of rare, but I want to make sure that if I got one it would be compatible.

Charging port is in different spot so I dont think it will work.

kubus

Can anyone recommend accessories that they have and like for the N3DS, not the XL. I had thought that once I import the N3DS i could then buy US accessories once its released here, but that plan has obviously changed. I want to order everything at once to save on shipping. I will be ordering from amazon japan so preferably from there, but I think tenso kets you consolidate packages if I order it from another site. Ill probably get one faceplate, girlfriend likes the poogie or whatever no. 38 is. Not a big monster hunter fan so I'm not sure what it is.

I glanced through the thread searching for "case" and such, but if anyone has any specific recommendations it would help.
I have this one, and I got it from amazon.co.jp. Here's the link to the product page. There's also a similar red one at amazon now.

Strangely enough amazon is flooded with cases for the New 3DS LL, but the normal New 3DS doesn't get much love in the case department :/

DoctorZ

I have this one, and I got it from amazon.co.jp. Here's the link to the product page. There's also a similar red one at amazon now.

Strangely enough amazon is flooded with cases for the New 3DS LL, but the normal New 3DS doesn't get much love in the case department :/

That case looks nice for 1000 yen. I have this one for my 3DS and its great. It has slots for a few games and a spot for my usb charge cable and larger pen stylus. Has anyone seen anything similar for the N3DS? It's a pretty snug fit so I don't think it will fit the N3DS.

I found this one, but it seems like it might be pretty thick. It does have the space for stuff I beed however.

bms2993

Banned
Do I really need a case for my N3DS Japanese import? Should I even invest in ANY accessories at all? What do you think, GAF?

After weeks of soul searching, I think I've decided to import one of the Pokemon N3DS systems. The problem is, I love the look of the Groudon system, but I was really wanting a white N3DS system. It just seems like the face plates, other than the Groudon one, go better with the white system.

Would a few kind souls care to post some pictures of their black N3DS's with different faceplates on them? I've tried searching through the thread a bit, but it seems like the majority of people have gotten White systems.

bms2993

Banned
I hate Nintendo for not releasing this in the US... so an import will be suffice. Also, hey, I can download games not found in any other region, right?! :D

bms2993

Banned
Soon, GAF. Soon.
lol.png

EDIT: Aw darn it, I double posted. Thought someone else posted before me... nope.

Beckx

Okay, finding the special N3DS owner sale invitation was a really nice surprise.

On the bad side, I have most of the games on that list that I want. Might get Miku.

akileese

My replacement system is working splendidly! Ready to splurge on e-shop games now. I'm beginning to think the white one was water damaged. Also noticing the wifi and overall system speed is significantly faster on my replacement as well.

So.... In light of the recent revelation that the US is not getting the n3DS, I am looking to import. I already imported the MH n3DSXL from Japan back in October but now I am torn between a EU standard n3DS (black) or going for another JP region system. The benefit to the EU model is that I can still play games in English.

Thoughts?

In the meantime, I've at least taken liberty to preorder the Majora's Mask and Kirby cover plates from PlayAsia (yes, I know they are a generally overpirced site, but at least they don't try to charge me right away like Nin-Nin).

Impotaku

So.... In light of the recent revelation that the US is not getting the n3DS, I am looking to import. I already imported the MH n3DSXL from Japan back in October but now I am torn between a EU standard n3DS (black) or going for another JP region system. The benefit to the EU model is that I can still play games in English.

Thoughts?

In the meantime, I've at least taken liberty to preorder the Majora's Mask and Kirby cover plates from PlayAsia (yes, I know they are a generally overpirced site, but at least they don't try to charge me right away like Nin-Nin).

You can indeed play games in english however you'll pay more for them as Nintendo love to rip off europe with high prices over here plus the game selection is pretty much the same as the states but with certain games never been released over here. If i lived outside the UK i'd certainly never want to buy from here, there's a reason i import all my Nintendo stuff from Japan instead of going domestic.

Hard to recommend really, i'd personally go for another Japanese one if you're only wanting one for the smaller model at least you can share your carts between them.

You can indeed play games in english however you'll pay more for them as Nintendo love to rip off europe with high prices over here plus the game selection is pretty much the same as the states but with certain games never been released over here. If i lived outside the UK i'd certainly never want to buy from here, there's a reason i import all my Nintendo stuff from Japan instead of going domestic.

Hard to recommend really, i'd personally go for another Japanese one if you're only wanting one for the smaller model at least you can share your carts between them.

I'm gonna paste here another one of the reasons I'm pretty hard up on the smaller size (this was from a different thread here:

I have a young neice whom I've gotten into gaming and my old OG 3DS is perfect for her (she's 9) as she plays in 3D but doesn't like the size of my own XL. For months she has been hyped right along side me since Japan announced the new systems. I even imported the MH4G limited edition XL (let's be honest, a MH LE releasing in the US seemed all but likely) since I import Japanese games anyway. She enjoyed watching me play on it and really loved the better 3D effect. She was so enamored in fact, that she kept asking me to check if the new systems would be coming over as I had shown her pictures/video of the standard edition and its faceplates. Being a girly-girl of sorts, she liked the idea of being able to customize the system to her mood or wardrobe.
So yeah, it is disappointing to many and I had to break this news to my niece when she got home from school yesterday as she demanded I watch the Direct befors she left that morning. I can see why there might be reasoning on Nintendo's part to not release the standard size and faceplates, however limiting a consumer's choice is in no way a good move for any company. As they say, negative word of mouth can spread a lot more quickly than positive impressions as even when the wave starts off small, it soon grows larger and larger.
I resolved not to purchase the system for myself either as I would feel bad to have one and not my neice since I promised her a new system if she made Honor Roll last semester and she did. Needless to say, she was highly upset and I couldn't even give her a good answer as to why the decision was made. So while I have no problem with having an XL, it bugs the hell out of me that this is the only option which has alienated my niece. And out of respect, I'm not going to purchase a system to wave around in her face and make her feel worse given she had rightfully earned the New 3DS. Just means she and I won't be indulging in Majora's Mask, Xenoblade or Monster Hunter 4U.

----
In the long run I already have my XL from Japan and it is ok for me (can't deny I like the smaller model because it is cute). The other reason I am leaning toward the EU system is so my niece can also enjoy it. It would end up being primarily my system until NoA changes their stance and releases the small system here... But then I'd end up stuck with a system I don't need later down the line. My niece can't read Japanese so to get a Japanese system would serve her no benefit in the long run... But I would like to import a small 3DS for us to share... It's just a conundrum either way....

Impotaku

If you went with europe it really comes down to weither you would be ok with paying the prices of games over here. Even on the eshop it's not exactly cheap, because it's region locked it means you are at the mercy of the prices over here, i'm sure you could get used games ok from ebay but i have no idea what online shops would sell euro stuff to the rest of the world.

A valid point about Japanese though especially if it's for your neice that's quite a barrier for someone.

If you went with europe it really comes down to weither you would be ok with paying the prices of games over here. Even on the eshop it's not exactly cheap, because it's region locked it means you are at the mercy of the prices over here, i'm sure you could get used games ok from ebay but i have no idea what online shops would sell euro stuff to the rest of the world.

A valid point about Japanese though especially if it's for your neice that's quite a barrier for someone.

Well, PA does sell Euro games, however their prices end up being higher than US and Japan region games... And duly noted on the eshop issue for the UK.... Ugh, why did NoA have to make such a stupid decision?!?!?!?!

Gameboy415

That new Majora plate is amazing, can't wait to get it. Hope Amazon.JP opens preorders soon... So many things announced today, so many annoying websites not letting me quickly spend money!

Also Pikachu and Kirby!

Oh man, all 3 of those are fantastic!

Anyone know of any online stores that still stock the Boo (Teresa) face plate for around MSRP?
I stupidly held off on buying one because I assumed we'd be getting the New 3DS in the US soon and figured most of the face plates would be localized but that clearly isn't happening (I gladly reserved a Majora's Mask New 3DS XL though!).
I really want the Boo face plate for my JP N3DS but I can't justify dropping $40+ on it. :S

bms2993

Banned
So, in preparation for the new Nintendo 3DS coming tomorrow, would GAF like to see an unboxing video or would pics of the console be satisfactory? I feel like pics would be nicer...

bms2993

Banned
How long is this good for? If I imported one today would I be able to take advantage of this offer?

That depends on how long your shipping and processing time will take.

Here's a quote from the secret sale thread we had earlier by forum member Garou:

First Batch - January 15-28
Kid Icarus Uprising
Super Mario 3D Land
Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Animal Crossing
A-Train 3D
Phoenix Wright 1-3 Collection (<- includes English text)
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai 2
Little Battlers Experience - Danball Senki Wars
Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder
Dillon's Rolling Western
Azure Striker Gunvolt

Second Batch - January 29-February 11
Zelda - A Link between Worlds
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Mario Kart 7
Luigis Mansion 2
Sengoku Musou Chronicle 2nd
Super Robot Wars UX
Story of Seasons
Fantasy Life LINK!
Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder
Dillon's Rolling Western
Azure Striker Gunvolt

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
That depends on how long your shipping and processing time will take.

Here's a quote from the secret sale thread we had earlier by forum member Garou:

Thanks! I think EMS can get me it in time.

Owari

Okay so out of these games I wonder which are actually playable if you can't read Japanese.

Kid Icarus Uprising - Probably a no.
Super Mario 3D Land - Definitely.
Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Eh? Depends on how well you know the game.
Animal Crossing - Unfortunately, I think this one is a no.
A-Train 3D - Maybe.
Phoenix Wright 1-3 Collection (<- includes English text)
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai 2 - Yes.
Little Battlers Experience - Danball Senki Wars
Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder - Yes.
Dillon's Rolling Western - Maybe?
Azure Striker Gunvolt - Dunno.

Second Batch - January 29-February 11
Zelda - A Link between Worlds - Probably no.
Kirby Triple Deluxe - Yes.
Mario Kart 7 - Yes.
Luigis Mansion 2 - Yes?
Sengoku Musou Chronicle 2nd - No
Super Robot Wars UX - Kinda.
Story of Seasons - ?
Fantasy Life LINK! - Kind of? But multiplayer doesn't work across regions.

There's probably a more comprehensive list of games that work well regardless of text/region lock somewhere.

Do I really need a case for my N3DS Japanese import? Should I even invest in ANY accessories at all? What do you think, GAF?

I didn't think I needed one, but I noticed a pretty bad scratch on my red faceplate. Luckily, they're swappable. So I didn't care much. So up to you.

DoctorZ

Anyone know of the cheapest place to order a No. 012 faceplate (felt)? Amazon doesn't have them in stock so I'd rather not go through a seller on there since they charge shipping and then Tenso charges 300 yen to consolidate two packages.

If I can't find it for a reasonable price I'll probably just get the white embossed one (No. 023) and wait for a reasonable way to import the felt one.

Bwana Whiskey

Neo Member
Are the hinges wobbly on the nN3DS LL? Picking up a XL in NA next month, and the wobbly hinges really annoy me for some reason on my OG and XL 3DSs. The hinges on my DS Lite were perfect.

Top Bottom