• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Hatchtag

Banned
Okay so out of these games I wonder which are actually playable if you can't read Japanese.

Kid Icarus Uprising - Probably a no.
Super Mario 3D Land - Definitely.
Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Eh? Depends on how well you know the game.
Animal Crossing - Unfortunately, I think this one is a no.
A-Train 3D - Maybe.
Phoenix Wright 1-3 Collection (<- includes English text)
Hatsune Miku Project Mirai 2 - Yes.
Little Battlers Experience - Danball Senki Wars
Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder - Yes.
Dillon's Rolling Western - Maybe?
Azure Striker Gunvolt - Dunno.

Second Batch - January 29-February 11
Zelda - A Link between Worlds - Probably no.
Kirby Triple Deluxe - Yes.
Mario Kart 7 - Yes.
Luigis Mansion 2 - Yes?
Sengoku Musou Chronicle 2nd - No
Super Robot Wars UX - Kinda.
Story of Seasons - ?
Fantasy Life LINK! - Kind of? But multiplayer doesn't work across regions.

There's probably a more comprehensive list of games that work well regardless of text/region lock somewhere.

I didn't think I needed one, but I noticed a pretty bad scratch on my red faceplate. Luckily, they're swappable. So I didn't care much. So up to you.

Kid Icarus Uprising is super straightforward, very few stages have gimmicks that can't be easily figured out or backtracking. I wouldn't recommend it since the story's so enjoyable, but its definitely playable without knowing a lick of Japanese.
EDIT: Weapons might be a tad difficult to figure out, but this could be easily remedied by a google search.

bms2993

Banned
Untitled.png

giphy.gif

DoctorZ

Girlfriend decided at the last minute upon discovering that the Boo faceplate glows in the dark that she wanted me to get the black N3DS and that faceplate. Ended up having to pay extra since it is OOS everywhere. Poogie no longer exists in her mind. Don't really mind as I was thinking about it myself, but the price for the Boo faceplate made me lean away from the black N3DS since that was the only faceplate I wanted that I thought looked good on the black one. There were a few faceplates I like on the white one and since it seems more popular I thought future ones would maybe lean toward fitting with the white color.

I ordered a charge stand (mint), N3DS, Hori screen protector and the Boo faceplate (seller fullfilled by Amazon). I just don't like the available cases so maybe I'll try and find one here that fits the new size or find an XL case. I like to carry the charger, stylus, microfiber cloth, etc with me and if the case doesn't fit it all it sort of defeats the purpose for me. I tried pushing my launch 3DS to the corner of my current case and there is a slight gap, maybe 10mm even so it might fit afterall.

My hope is that this will be one, maybe two shipments (4 items), to Tenso so I don't have to pay the consolidation fee. Is AmazonJP typically good about trying to get everything into one or few shipments if you select that option? I've had orders from US Amazon come in 3-4 individual bubble envelopes before, even if they come from the same fulfillment center.

In the end though it should still run me under or around $200 for everything even if I have to pay and extra $3-5 for "consolidation".

Zensouken

Neo Member
IMG_0118_zpsbcbad3a1.jpg

Boo faceplate is mad sexy, I get nothing but compliments from people when I'm on the subway with it. A good number of folks don't even know its a Nintendo and just think it looks cool. The glow in the dark function is pretty strong too, it absorbs light pretty quickly and radiates well enough even during light hours. I got the white one for my daughter and/or wife, whoever wants to join in on the hobby. Even heavily discounted when I bought them I was having some buyer's remorse but after the Nintendo Direct announcement of America's release schedule I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

I preordered the Majora's Mask LL, it was too sexy to pass.
Nice upgrade it'll be from my day-1 JP normal 3DS.

I think it's also the first time I'm getting a special edition console :|

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
IMG_0118_zpsbcbad3a1.jpg

Boo faceplate is mad sexy, I get nothing but compliments from people when I'm on the subway with it. A good number of folks don't even know its a Nintendo and just think it looks cool. The glow in the dark function is pretty strong too, it absorbs light pretty quickly and radiates well enough even during light hours. I got the white one for my daughter and/or wife, whoever wants to join in on the hobby. Even heavily discounted when I bought them I was having some buyer's remorse but after the Nintendo Direct announcement of America's release schedule I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

That is sexy. I am sold on that Boo faceplate now. How does it look on the white N3DS?

Meffer

I just want to say to recent new owners of a Japanese N3DS, if you liked Custom Robo and want something like it on your new system, I suggest the LBX series by Level5. I have LBXW and it's fantastic. It's an action RPG with arena style battles. It has tons of parts and weapons with a grid style custom builder for abilities and stat boosts. It even has a waypoint system just like Youkai Watch so you won't get lost where to go. It's very similar to Gundam Build Fighters, so if you love that, you'll love this!

Prophane33

Any particular reason Solaris Japan is missing from the spreadsheet? Recently ordered a NN3DS and a bunch of games from them; They have some of the best prices (especially on systems) and are very clear about their shipping prices/speeds. Definitely my second choice behind Amiami, which is where I usually order games from.

In anticipation of the U.S. XL only release I was wondering what the mist have XL accessories were that everyone here likes using with their XL, I recently sold my Vita as I had both handhelds and I am investing playtime in the 3ds. TiA.

kubus

Any particular reason Solaris Japan is missing from the spreadsheet? Recently ordered a NN3DS and a bunch of games from them; They have some of the best prices (especially on systems) and are very clear about their shipping prices/speeds. Definitely my second choice behind Amiami, which is where I usually order games from.
I was actually considering adding them to the spreadsheet, but was a bit hesistant because I had no idea how reliable they are. So thanks for your feedback!

Unfortunately the spreadsheet is limited to 1000 google finance functions and adding SolarisJapan listings for every product would definitely put the sheet way over that limit :/. I'm considering dropping AmiAmi for older items as they simply won't restock anything. Listing their prices won't help anyone if they can't order it, so maybe Solaris can replace AmiAmi then.

I'll look into it tomorrow! Also if anyone else has suggestions for the spreadsheet, please do post them!

Also, congrats bms2993 on getting your N3DS! :D. I know how you've been looking forward to it :).

I'm so reminded that I bought a Boo cover plate last year in anticipation of NOA only releasing the black N3DS here.

But they shattered my dreams instead.

Resilient

Picked up the black New 3DS in Japan a couple of weeks ago. Thing is sleek as hell! Goes well next tk my white one.

Now to commence the horrible task of system transferring my OG JPN 3DS to this New 3DS in Japanese. I think I can stumble my way through it...is it difficult??

bms2993

Banned
Some quick observations:

3D effect works extremely well. However, for applications that require the camera to be used, it does not track your face.

The size and weight of the new Nintendo 3DS is perfect. The matte feeling of the handheld is wonderful. I'm in love with the super famicon buttons.

And another picture showing its pretty colors :3
e9c_OHe9_JVhfp_M41_06h4laxu_Sbeq0_Y_Ygg4g_KBR7bup_XC_h3.jpg

bms2993

Banned
Obvious, but if you want to take photos of yourself in the dark, just use the inner camera. IR blaster will pick you up no problem.

oh! Download the N3DS letter to get sales!

15/1/2015 - 28/1/2015
Kid Icarus - Uprising: 4927YEN -> 2950YEN
Super Mario 3D Land: 4937YEN -> 2960YEN
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D: 4937YEN -> 2960YEN
Animal Crossing: New Leaf: 4937YEN -> 2960YEN
ARTDINK (A3D): 5724YEN -> 3430YEN
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy: 3900YEN -> 2390YEN
Hatsune Miku Project mirai 2: 5761YEN -> 3450YEN
Robot Wars (LEVEL5Game): 5122YEN -> 3070YEN
RoboPhotoGame: 1543YEN -> 920YEN
The Rolling Western: 2057YEN -> 1230YEN
Armed Blue Gunvolt: 1960YEN -> 1170YEN
29/1/2015 - 11/2/2015
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 4937YEN -> 2960YEN
Kirby Triple Deluxe - 4937YEN -> 2960YEN
Mario Kart 7 - 4937YEN -> 2960YEN
Luigi Mansion Dark Moon - 4937YEN -> 2960YEN
Sengoku Mousu Chronicles 2nd - 5554YEN -> 3330YEN
Robot UX game - 7344YEN -> 4400YEN
Story of Seasons - 5184YEN -> 3110YEN
Fantasy Life Link! - 5122YEN -> 3070YEN
RobotPhotoGame: 1543YEN -> 920YEN
The Rolling Western: 2057YEN -> 1230YEN
Armed Blue: Gunvolt: 1960YEN -> 1170YEN

I can't wait to get my hands on this. Those cover-plates look amazing, and yes, I am a bit jealous of you guys who have their systems already.

Edit: I pre-ordered a white n3DS from a local retailer. Weeks to go, still. :(

kubus

Is there anywhere that boo cover plate isn't sold out? Also, congrats BMS. Lookin slick.
Solaris Japan has it, I think, but it's overpriced.
Yeah, it looks like Solaris Japan is the only import store left that has it, but it's crazy expensive (3,591 yen).

Your only other option is to buy it from a amazon.co.jp marketplace seller and use Tenso to get it shipped to you. I have no idea if Nintendo will ever send more stock to stores :/. A shame, as it's such a nice cover plate.

From where? I've been checking AmazonJP constantly!
Quite a few places have it now, check here. (amazonJP actually had it a couple of days now, but they were sold out instantly...)

If anyone can answer this question, it will greatly make me less worried because I spent quite the sum importing a JPN N3DS LL Blue.

Everything appears to be brand new and in order and never used… until I unscrewed the back plate and removed the microsd card.

It is a Toshiba 4G Class 4 card. The BACK of the card is where things get weird.

There's no "made in Japan" or "made in X country" on the back. There's no serial on the back. There's no numbers on the back.

There's this rectangle/square small matte patch that covers the backside area where you would usually find the "made in X country" and serial numbers…

Is this a FAKE microsd card…?

Rich!

If anyone can answer this question, it will greatly make me less worried because I spent quite the sum importing a JPN N3DS LL Blue.

Everything appears to be brand new and in order and never used… until I unscrewed the back plate and removed the microsd card.

It is a Toshiba 4G Class 4 card. The BACK of the card is where things get weird.

There's no "made in Japan" or "made in X country" on the back. There's no serial on the back. There's no numbers on the back.

There's this rectangle/square small matte patch that covers the backside area where you would usually find the "made in X country" and serial numbers…

Is this a FAKE microsd card…?

No, its fine. My Australian N3DS has the same card.

Either way, you should buy a bigger card than 4GB.

No, its fine. My Australian N3DS has the same card.

Either way, you should buy a bigger card than 4GB.

Damn you don't know how relieved I am to hear this.

So your stock microsd card also doesn't have the "made in X country" or any serial numbers on the back? There's this matte small "patch" on the back of it right?

Any other Hakoboy impressions? How does the 3D effect work on something so planar looking?

There's no 3D effect in the game. It's completely disabled, at least as far as I've gotten.

The game is excellent though. It7s incredibly clever and iterates on its mechanics really well. The time-trial and collection stages you can unlock are brutal.

Considering I'm getting a n3DSLL soon, I was wondering what to do for MicroSD cards.

For the same price, which is "better"?
- 32Go with R/W speeds of 60/30
- 64Go with R/W speeds of 48/15

My current SDs (I have two) for my 3DS are 8Go and 4Go, I don't have a clue about their R/W speeds and at first glance I don't really have a clear view on this topic.
At the present I more or less don't care about those but if you have examples on how it really changes the overall experience, fire away!

I don't buy every game I want on the eShop but I sometimes do, so that's why I want at least 32Go to get into the new version. How many games does that more or less make for both of them?

Rich!

Damn you don't know how relieved I am to hear this.

So your stock microsd card also doesn't have the "made in X country" or any serial numbers on the back? There's this matte small "patch" on the back of it right?

Yep. Its the same.

And just for peace of mind, I just did a diagnostic test and it has the full capacity. Its just an OEM unit nintendo used.

FSLink

Banned
But you can connect with them online and still play against them right?

IIRC, yes. It's just a weird dumb quirk for Mario Kart 7. There's a list on the 'net somewhere with it. Like Pokemon is perfectly fine for local/online play across regions for example.

akileese

Me: Jelly, salty, American.

I mean, you can get them. I have one and I love it. Then again, I understand just enough Japanese to kind of shuffle my way through it. With that said, the heavy amount of kanji gives me trouble. I can make the hiragana out fine but man oh man does the kanja make my head hurt.

Does anyone know a good place to help with that? I've been learning through Rosetta Stone since my girlfriend, daughter, and I are planning on going next year. It's helped my ability to understand when being spoken leaps and bounds (able to watch raw animes, GCCX, and Japanese variety shows), but it's not helping as much with the reading as I'd hoped.

Also, are any of you with the Japanese region ones playing Initial D Perfect Shift Online? Wouldn't mind getting some FCs of people playing.

e: If you're looking for a good memory card at a good price, Best Buy has the Samsung EVO MicroSD 32gb for like 25 bucks with Amazon having it for $18. I got a 32gb for my Japanese one and a 64gb for $35 for my US one when it comes.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVPU7AO/?tag=neogaf0e-20 amazon US link for assistance.

I'm still confused as to why they did not release a Black charging cradle for the N3DS. I really want to get one, but I don't particularly want to have mismatched colors. Oh well, I may just wait and hope they eventually release a black version.

Nintendo is a fool to not at least have made the XL take faceplates too. They do look neat. I think their decision to omit the reg 3ds is kind of smart. I don't honestly think it's as big a seller as we want to believe.

Impotaku

Been a while since i updated my 3DS collection pics, added quite a lot of games since i last did proper pics.

SAM_1277%20res.jpg

SAM_1279%20res.jpg

SAM_1281%20res.jpg

SAM_1282%20res.jpg

SAM_1285%20res.jpg

SAM_1286%20res.jpg

SAM_1288%20res.jpg

SAM_1292%20res.jpg

About another 10 or so games and i'm done until some new stuff gets released later on.

Top Bottom