• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese system prices - More than American?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I have a quick question for someone up on Japanese gaming. What do the PS2 and SP sell for in Japan, and how much does that translate into in American dollars?

Miburou

I know the GBA SP's price was just lowered to 9,800 Yen ($92).

The PStwo has an "open price", although that's usually still higher than in the states (like when I bought my PS2 from Japan last year).

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
The GBA SP costs more than the PS2? That can't be right.

Edit: NM saw 2nd reply.

ferricide

it's worth noting that, unlike here, most stores in japan (at least where there's decent competition, as i'm sure bebpo will attest =) undercut MSRP on hardware and games by $10-15. example: in japan i got sakura taisen V ep 0 the week it came out for 6090 yen, tax in. MSRP was 7140. i even got the preorder bonuses, randomly, which was nice.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Uncle Dukey said:
PS2: 18,858 yen (19,800 yen with tax) -> $186 (Converted from tax price)

--edit--
Whoops, I thought SP was PSP ^^;...
That's less than it was at most places when I was over there this summer. It was usually 20,000+.

cvxfreak

When in Japan, trying shopping at a duty free Donkii Houte store. You save 5%, although they do charge MSRP rates.

Anyway, the GameCube is also 14000 Yen in Japan, about $125-$140, give or take. Definitely overpriced, and their hardware includes no game (such as Metroid Prime or the upcoming MKDD), nor does it include a TV adapter. No wonder GC sales are so low out there these days.

Top Bottom